OK OK - Stephen “Steve” Lee Murphy, last seen in Claremore sometime in 1976, not reported missing until July 2022

What are the odds of actually finding Stephen or anything else about after over 40 years of missing?
I just bumped into this thread, so apologies for not being caught up.

First - your odds will go to zero if you stop looking. Do not give up! I located my biological birthparents and siblings after 33 years. And gained a second family as a result.

I did a quick search and found a Facebook group for Will Rogers HS, Tulsa OK. Log into Facebook

Again, apologies if someone upthread already provided the above link to you. Try posting there, you never know!

First - your odds will go to zero if you stop looking. Do not give up! I located my biological birthparents and siblings after 33 years. And gained a second family as a result.

I did a quick search and found a Facebook group for Will Rogers HS, Tulsa OK. Log into Facebook

Again, apologies if someone upthread already provided the above link to you. Try posting there, you never know!
Thank you. I'm in couple of WRHS Facebook page

You may have already done this but I would try to reach out to older people in the community he grew up in whether that’s a small town, a church community, a school district. People his age or older who may have at least heard rumors.

If he went missing while still actively serving in the military, there must be some record there too. I think you did find that stuff though if I remember correctly. People who served with him might still be around and might have at least a lead for you to check out.

One thing is, think about how to best reach people of his age and general area. Which form of media do they use most?

I think this will require some outside the box thinking to get his name and face out there to people who may have known him but IMO that might be your best bet at this point.
Even a funeral of people in your father's age, living at your father's last known location, could be helpful to get contact to old neighbours or acquaintances perhaps. I just met on the funeral of my best girlfriend my very first colleague from nearly 60 years ago (never seen again), who was my friend's school friend all the time. If these old acquaintances are willing to answer some questions, you may have luck.

wow... I love stories like yours.
I have a dear friend, whose first child, who was adopted out, found her in her adult years. She had the same result... new and loved families...
AND this daughter looks EXACTLY like my friend, her mom.

Snoangel.... I know you have often stated that your mom has distanced herself from her family, siblings.

I would guess that when you were born, there were joyful and happy times. WHERE was your mom living when you were born??? If they were happy times, they probably had friends at that time. Is there anything you can get from your mom, about exactly where she was, and were their any friends/acquaintances back then.
We would help you track them down!!

Those are the kind of people who would...remember.

Snoangel.... I know you have often stated that your mom has distanced herself from her family, siblings.

I would guess that when you were born, there were joyful and happy times. WHERE was your mom living when you were born??? If they were happy times, they probably had friends at that time. Is there anything you can get from your mom, about exactly where she was, and were their any friends/acquaintances back then.
We would help you track them down!!

Those are the kind of people who would...remember.
When I was born my parents lived with Stephen's mother and step father in Tulsa. Shortly after my parents were in California. Than Stephen was gone. According to the divorce papers my mom said he left May of 1976. I haven't been able to locate anyone that was friends with them. Or anyone that actually remembers Stephen in school

It’s so odd to me that Stephen’s belongings have not been reported by someone. If he didn’t go back to get them, then someone would have to notice and say something. In those belongings, surely there was some kind of contact information. And where would his belongings have been anyway? OK? CA? On base? I am also surprised at how his family just seemed to dismiss him after he left. He isn’t even in relevant obituaries. It’s interesting that his ex-wife isn’t giving many details about him or his life. Like favorite things, places he wanted to live/visit, interesting conversations that may be helpful now, and so on. It’s also odd that the military never followed up on him. Maybe that’s where his belongings were but if so, surely that would be a red flag. Also, I still am uncertain if he was truly last seen in Claremore or if he went back to CA after seeing the family member. The timeline has me confused for some reason. Did he have family in any other states? Had he ever mentioned wanting to just disappear? Go to Mexico? Join a religious community (or cult)? Anything at all to give more insight! And is there any reason to believe that Stephen had mental illness? Depression? Possible first psychotic break? Any family hx? Addiction?

Edit: The second link may be more useful to you. There seems to be a way to contact these people there.

Last edited:
It’s so odd to me that Stephen’s belongings have not been reported by someone. If he didn’t go back to get them, then someone would have to notice and say something. In those belongings, surely there was some kind of contact information. And where would his belongings have been anyway? OK? CA? On base? I am also surprised at how his family just seemed to dismiss him after he left. He isn’t even in relevant obituaries. It’s interesting that his ex-wife isn’t giving many details about him or his life. Like favorite things, places he wanted to live/visit, interesting conversations that may be helpful now, and so on. It’s also odd that the military never followed up on him. Maybe that’s where his belongings were but if so, surely that would be a red flag. Also, I still am uncertain if he was truly last seen in Claremore or if he went back to CA after seeing the family member. The timeline has me confused for some reason. Did he have family in any other states? Had he ever mentioned wanting to just disappear? Go to Mexico? Join a religious community (or cult)? Anything at all to give more insight! And is there any reason to believe that Stephen had mental illness? Depression? Possible first psychotic break? Any family hx? Addiction?
The military classified him as a deserter. I'm guessing between Claremore Oklahoma and camp pendleton California is last locations. I'm getting information little by little but not enough to pin point Excatly anything. Mental illness does run in family.

@Snoangel26 Do you think he left his belongings behind suggesting he was a deserter? And if so, they should have at least contacted his emergency contact person to collect his belongings. You are doing an amazing job at trying to find your dad. It just surprises me that there’s so little information given to you by family and others.

@Snoangel26 Do you think he left his belongings behind suggesting he was a deserter? And if so, they should have at least contacted his emergency contact person to collect his belongings. You are doing an amazing job at trying to find your dad. It just surprises me that there’s so little information given to you by family and others.
His mother never looked for him. She never responded to my questions about him.

I'm just now seeing this thread, and I've just skimmed through it quickly, so forgive me if this has been mentioned previously - but there's someone on ancestry who lists him in their family tree and gives a date of death as 1976 in California. Have you seen that?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramada.williams.gc@gmail.
Back