Omaha Double Murder #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found this floating around on my FB page.
Thought it is great that people are still keeping the story out there...The second comment gave me a chuckle. I am sure some people would define WS as one of those places...*raised eyebrows* So, c'mon people...quit tossing around speculation and conspiracy plots.

I tried the link and received an error message....page not found.

I think LEA's across the country monitor sites like WS and use them as a tool in fact gathering and theories. Just recently, WS owner Tricia Griffith received thanks to sleuths from 2 different LEA's in helping solve two separate cases. One was the Abraham Shakespeare case in Florida and I can't remember the other one.

Our LEA's in this country are mostly underpaid, understaffed and over worked. Surely they monitor the internet and the 'free' resources available to them.

This is all JMO though. :twocents:

wm

I wanted to say that my thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of Shirlee Sherman and Tom Hunter. May God heal your heavy hearts and loneliness from missing your loved one. This time of year must be especially difficult for you.

I'm also remembering OPD in my thoughts and prayers. May they find and arrest the 'messed up person' responsible for carrying out these senseless murders.

I hope this sounds ok as conveying my sentimental thoughts in the written word is not my forte. I didn't want the two year date to go by without acknowledging it and sending condolences to the family members who read here.

Respectfully,

wm

This was a very shocking murderer and I an sure the Police in Omaha have been under a great deal of pressure to solve it. Unfortuately, this was probably either a "wrong target" situation of the perp was mentally deranged, without a "discernible" motive. Without any foresnsic evidence, there is nothing to lead them to the perp. They may get lucky some day and the perp will get caught in a similar crime, talk to someone or otherwise mess up, but they may never be able to "solve" the crime.

I also want to put in a word here as we are at the second anniversary. Back when this thread was first started some of us assumed that this case would have been solved by now. Sadly we were mistaken.
I want to let Shirlee's son Jeff and others who have become however slightly a part of our family on this thread know that our thoughts and prayers are with you at this time. My thoughts and prayers also go out to the Hunter family. I cannot begin to imagine what they must relive at this time.
Also since I believe that OPD follows this thread, our support and best wishes to all of you. Sometimes the frustration we have felt may have led us to be too critical of your efforts in this case. Our prayers for your success in this case.
Wasn't it Ghandi that said that evil never triumphs? It may appear to win sometimes but in the end it never does. Something to ponder.

News article from KETV from yesterday:

Two years after Shirlee Sherman, 57, and Thomas Hunter, 11, were found dead in a Dundee home, one of the lead investigators is speaking for the first time about the case.
"You want to say to be patient, but how could I ask a family to be patient that went through something like this," said Omaha homicide detective Sgt. Ken Kanger.
He said he's been impatient himself, trying to crack one of the city's toughest homicide cases.
Dr. William Hunter came home from work at Creighton University Medical Center on March 13, 2008, and found his son, Thomas, and Sherman, his 57-year-old housekeeper, dead.
Kanger said in the two years that followed, there have been hundreds of leads, but no arrests.
"The information is out there. There are still leads that we're continuing to follow up on," he said.

He said detectives are also looking into something they've not publicly discussed before. He said the killings could be tied to activity on the Internet.
"We've looked into the computer background regarding the computers at the Hunters' house and Thomas's access to computers and chat rooms," Kanger said. "That leads us to a whole other arena."
He said it's possible Thomas Hunter may have chatted with his killer, or someone connected to his killer, online.

"That's one of the things that we're concentrating some of our efforts now, just to find out if Thomas was in different chat rooms communicating with people, who it was he was communicating with and what those communications were like," Kanger said.
He said chat rooms are only one aspect of the investigation. He said detectives are also looking for a silver crossover-type SUV, possibly a Honda CRV, which was seen in the area that day. The vehicle may have had out-of-state plates, witnesses said.
Police had issued a composite sketch of a man they considered suspicious. The description of the man said he was between 20 and 30 years old, had olive skin, wore a dark suit and carried a satchel over his shoulder. Kanger said the sketch is not something they're keying on now.
"I wouldn't say that we're backing off," he said. "The best way I can describe that is that it's a risk/reward."
He said the reward of putting out the general drawing right away help people starting thinking about that person immediately. The risk, he said, is that over time, people focus solely on the sketch.
Kanger said the detectives are looking into the backgrounds of the victims and their families. Both of Thomas Hunter's parents are doctors at Creighton University Medical Center. Sherman has a number of loved ones in the Omaha area.
He said sometimes examining those background can help provide clues why someone would do it.
"We found a lot. I don't want to say we haven't found anything, but again, you're talking two victims, you're talking a lot of different avenues where we have to look to try to find the answer to what happened," Kanger said.
He said the police will find answers, and he wants the victims' families and neighbors to know that the case isn't cold.
"We're going to devote as much time and effort and resources as we can to try and find out exactly what happened here and hold somebody accountable," he said.
Crime Stoppers has offered a $50,000 reward for information leading to an arrest in the case.

Thank you for the update, Snick.

I'm relieved that LE sound hopeful that they will capture the perp.

Also, when some of you mentioned earlier in the thread that you figured that it probably had something to do with Thomas and his computer useage, I have to admit I was sceptical. Obviously I have a lot to learn from all of you when it comes to sleuthing!! You guys are terrific (as usual)!!

Thanks for sharing this article Snick. It is good to hear a statement from LE that sounds positive and hopeful. Can you imagine how long it must take to investigate computer forensics? At least we know there is 'forward motion' going on in the case. I wish all the best to the families and to LE in solving this horrible crime.

wm

The article Snick posted said "Crime Stoppers has offered a $50,000 reward for information leading to an arrest in the case."

I'm confused. I though Shirley's son said that her family had put up the reward money.
Does anyone know what the total amount is now and who put up the money?

They need to plaster the news with the "guy at the door" picture. Right now it sounds like it's all they have and they aren't using it. The longer it is before they show it, the less people will connect him to crime. What are the odds he isn't the killer?? Two different people saw him at the door around the time of the murders. Show the picture. As for the internet connection ... what took so long? That should have been looked at long before now.

They need to plaster the news with the "guy at the door" picture. Right now it sounds like it's all they have and they aren't using it. The longer it is before they show it, the less people will connect him to crime. What are the odds he isn't the killer?? Two different people saw him at the door around the time of the murders. Show the picture. As for the internet connection ... what took so long? That should have been looked at long before now.
The internet connection was suggested on this board by myself and others back in early 2009. Why it took them so long to come around to that mystifies me. The biggest thing I had to make the connection was Tom's age and the fact that he was computer savvy. My reasoning took me the rest of the way. I think LE spent too much time focusing on the wrong people, assuming that Mrs Sherman was the target.
If LE is putting this out in a release how far away can they be now? I feel some hope here, folks.

I remember that snick, so I wonder what took them so long to look at it? I hope something turns up soon, but time is ticking while they keep a big clue (the picture) from the public.

A web site apparently set up by the Hunter family:

http://solvethomashuntermurder.tumblr.com/

Note our discusion is labeled as 'largely uninformed'. I will accept that. We are mostly trying to keep this out there. Some serious leads have been developed mostly out of sight from casual viewers of this thread and referrals made to OPD. We all want the same thing- justice for Tom and Shirlee. Good luck to whoever set this up, you have our best wishes.

Maybe NOW would be a good time to accept America's Most Wanted invitation for help.

A web site apparently set up by the Hunter family:

http://solvethomashuntermurder.tumblr.com/

Note our discusion is labeled as 'largely uninformed'. I will accept that. We are mostly trying to keep this out there. Some serious leads have been developed mostly out of sight from casual viewers of this thread and referrals made to OPD. We all want the same thing- justice for Tom and Shirlee. Good luck to whoever set this up, you have our best wishes.

Thank you for sharing the link, Snick. This is a wonderful compilation of the newsmedia articles which should be helpful for references sake. I am glad to see continued of awareness of this case.

Hi collette, It's good to see you again. I can only wonder if there was a reason that OPD turned down AMW? Like maybe, OPD knows who they are looking for and are on an evidence gathering mission in order to make an arrest.

I inferred, from the latest news story, that the computer forensics work is time consuming, coupled with the fact that there are two victims. I am encouraged that OPD gave an update. I think there must be some progress going on. All MOO but am keeping the faith.

wm

I thought maybe the police actually had something and were making this press push to maybe smoke out someone. But after watching the video of the report, the police seem to have almost nothing and to be grasping at straws that should already have been taken care of.

The thing about computer forensics and especially a victim's internet access is that it's all logged and documented and thus very easy to trace (as long as it's done in a timely manner). And the exceptions to that or the attempts to circumvent that logging (proxies and such) really stand out. If there were anything, they should've had it 2 years ago. Because logs do get deleted/cleared over time. Entire internet companies and internet hosts, not to mention individual websites, are created and go out of business in that time-frame.

Oh well.

I'm adding these links because Tom's online games have been a topic of discussion in our theories. Counter-Strike is the game this young man was playing when attacked. I wonder what games Tom played?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,589884,00.html?test=latestnews

Please don't take this as negative speak about Tom at all, but IMO some of these online gamers are really detached from reality. I guess from living in a cyber world. Tom didn't seem to be that caught up to that extent from descriptions of him and his activities. But I'm sure he was probably good at it because he was a bright young man...good student, outside activities like basketball, etc. It would be awful to learn that Tom and Shirlee were murdered for such a senseless reason.

Anyway, just attempting to keep the discussion going so that Tom and Shirlee's thread doesn't fall to page 3.

prayers for the families.....

wm

I was going back over some old press articles about these killings and something hit me- maybe nothing but Dr Hunter in his interviews referred to entering the house that evening though the back door, hanging up his coat then finding the housekeeper dead.
Was the back door locked?
In other words did he unlock and let himself in or did he find it open and unlocked. That would have some bearing on whether the perp entered and left that way.
It'd be interesting to know if the front door was locked or unlocked but we may never know. Assuming he let himself in with a key it would seem that the perp entered and left via the front door. I.E. someone let him in.
Maybe nothing but sometimes small things matter a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MeanBean