OR - 4 yr old found dead in lake, LE search for missing family

I agree Linda, I'm skeptical that they just went into the water one by one. It's just bizarre!

We had a drowning in Tennessee recently - an Amish family went out in a boat to fish while the river was in flood stage. Somehow two children fell overboard, but not everyone else jumped in after them. I guess it could happen that way, but even in swimming pool deaths not everyone will jump in during an emergency if they can't swim themselves.

I am asking how on earth it can happen also, my only opinion is one got in trouble and another tried to help but winded up in trouble also, then it snowballed. Can't really figure it out.

Maybe nobody knew how to swim very well and they each tried to save each other. So heartbreaking.

You'd still try to save your child though, even if you couldn't swim wouldn't you?

You'd still try to save your child though, even if you couldn't swim wouldn't you?

ABSOLUTELY. :rose: I'd rather die trying than watch my child drown. :rose: :rose: :rose:

Is this a public beach? I wonder if the family have been there before. At our public beaches it is roped off for the swimming area. No steep drop offs. I usually go out and check the beach out myself. Sad tragedy.

In my limited experience...they don't. I've seen non-swimming mothers screaming bloody murder for help and go no further than ankle deep into the water.

I've witnessed it several times as I live rather close to the ocean and quite a few lakes.

Fortunately, I've never witnessed a child actually lose their life. Every time a bystander or lifeguard intervened and rescued. Twice reviving with CPR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm one of the fortunate ones that learned how to swim by age 5 and I know that many people don't know how to swim. But if my child was drowning, I just assume that I would jump in to save them without even stopping to think whether I knew how to swim or not. KWIM?

Wouldn't your natural instimct to save your child override your thought process?

Just so sad :(

I'm one of the fortunate ones that learned how to swim by age 5 and I know that many people don't know how to swim. But if my child was drowning, I just assume that I would jump in to save them without even stopping to think whether I knew how to swim or not. KWIM?

Wouldn't your natural instimct to save your child override your thought process?

Just so sad :(

In my experence yes. Actually a man in my city just drowned days ago doing this very thing. In my families case, all were very strong swimmers.

IMO people that can't swim, are typically petrified of water or at a minimum hyper vigilant for the safety of others...like their non-swimming children.
I can't imagine not using water safety devices...why even go there to swim in the first place?
I simply don't believe all of them accidentally drowned in some snowball like tragedy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neither of the articles I read said that they could not swim; plenty of able swimmers drown.

My guess is that they were all in the water, near each other, when one of them got into trouble (most likely holding the toddler). When someone goes under, it is pure instinct to grab for them. Unfortunately, it is also pure instinct for the drowning person to grab their rescuer, which often results in them going under as well. They were the only ones there, so it's more likely than not that they were quite near each other, chatting and playing in the water.

Water rescues are very difficult and dangerous.

I don't think that they entered the water one after another, but it does happen, in all kinds of rescues. I can't find the link, but there was a case of a rural family of four that died of suffocation after entering an enclosure of some kind that was connected to either farm equipment, or possibly the septic system. I believe the father was in it first, and his wife saw him unconscious and tried to rescue him, and then two children followed suit. It was a known danger - had they been thinking clearly, they would have at least called for help first, but they entered and died one by one.

'Funeral services for a Hillsboro woman, her two children and grandson who drowned in Henry Hagg Lake last week is scheduled Friday at a Hillsboro church.

Investigators, who have not come across any witnesses, believe at least one member of the family began struggling in the water near Sain Creek when the others went in to try to help.'

The victims were a grandmom of 42, her two children of 25 and 13, and the three (not four as originally reported) year old child, son of the 25 year old. I think the 25 year old mom and her little boy maybe got into trouble, and her little brother and mom jumped in to save them. Bless them.

Grandmom's husband and their middle child are left behind. The photo shows victims Jeremy Scholl, 3, and his mother Gabriela Garcia-Ixtacua, 25.

Rest in peace.

http://www.oregonlive.com/hillsboro/index.ssf/2014/09/funeral_scheduled_for_hillsbor.html

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 74
I believe there are numerous cases like this, perhaps not in the internet age and not this many people but it happens all the time. One person has a problem in the water, another goes in, they both drown. In a more occupied area, someone will call for help and bystanders may stop others from jumping in, assuming the currents are too strong today, whatever. Here, they were alone.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ulanov911
Back