OR OR - Betty McCullough, 10, Silver Creek Falls, 21 June 1941

Are Betty's sisters still alive? I remember from the news article that a niece was alive. I wish we could get in touch with her and get her to post here. Perhaps she could answer questions for us, including what illness Betty had or was suspected to have that would cause them to think she would not live past her teenage years.

I also wonder if the living relatives would think that the reconstruction of Boulder Doe resembles people in their family, and could be Betty.

Are Betty's sisters still alive? I remember from the news article that a niece was alive. I wish we could get in touch with her and get her to post here. Perhaps she could answer questions for us, including what illness Betty had or was suspected to have that would cause them to think she would not live past her teenage years.

I haven't heard anything about this case since that first article that I posted the link to 3 years ago. I'm on vacation now, but I think when I get home, I'll re-read the article and try to contact the reporter who was working with Betty's niece to get the word out about the case. I would like to find out about Betty's sisters as well, and also if anything has happened with the case in the 3 years since the article first appeared. Possibly they got a few more leads but no follow-up article was ever done.

I am wondering if anyone has found more information about this case since last summer.

I am wondering if anyone has found more information about this case since last summer.

I search Google News about once a month and haven't seen anything new. I went to the link with the video on the documentary that Salem, OR news reporter Tim King created with Betty's aunt Lela Taylor. I still can't open the video to view Part 1 of the documentary, even though I downloaded the Adobe Flash player, which it said you needed to view the videos on the website. I've included both links below from the original article and the one that contains the video. Maybe someone else can get it to open. I'd love to see the documentary.

http://www.salem-news.com/articles/august022006/little_betty_8206.php

http://www.salem-news.com/articles/august202006/angel_wind_1_82006.php

Hi,

I'm new here and just stumbled upon this thread. Just from looking at the pictures and reading Betty's description, I think that her unnamed condition is likely the Freeman-Sheldon syndrome, which was formerly known as the Whistling Face syndrome. I'm reasonably confident of this assessment, but not completely certain given the poor quality of the available pictures.

I hope I'm not stepping on any toes here, considering I'm a total newbie.

Edited to add that I think Rubinstein-Taybi syndrome is also a possibility, but the symptoms don't fit quite as well, IMO. I just wish we had more information.

Hi,

I'm new here and just stumbled upon this thread. Just from looking at the pictures and reading Betty's description, I think that her unnamed condition is likely the Freeman-Sheldon syndrome, which was formerly known as the Whistling Face syndrome. I'm reasonably confident of this assessment, but not completely certain given the poor quality of the available pictures.

I hope I'm not stepping on any toes here, considering I'm a total newbie.

Edited to add that I think Rubinstein-Taybi syndrome is also a possibility, but the symptoms don't fit quite as well, IMO. I just wish we had more information.

helpful, welcome to Websleuths. Thanks for weighing in on this. The illness Betty suffered from is definitely hard to pinpoint with so little information. I'm sure there wasn't even a name for it in 1941 and they just referred to it as "spells." Both syndromes you mention are very possible in Betty's case.

Thanks again.

I cannot help but wonder if Betty’s deformity or disease was an embarrassment? Did someone in the family want to end what they perceived to be her suffering? Or did a parent blame themselves somehow? When a child is missing would that embarrassment becomes sympathy?

Today, tools to help detect clandestine graves are available, but where to look? Outhouse, behind walls, sheds and oh yes, stonewalls, a place where bodies can be hidden without disturbing the ground, or where animals cannot disturb the site (sometimes a pointer in discovering a shallow grave) unless someone noticed an old wall was disturbed or a new one built or repaired it would have been difficult to locate. I don't know about the area where Betty went missing, but in the Northeast, stonewalls abound.

I wonder, if in some recent time, has anyone or group gone back to the location where she was reported missing and reevaluate the area for a clandestine grave search? Of course everything has changed it may be way too late to do that. I am just pondering out loud. Forgive me…[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

It's been four years since we've heard anything. What happened to the niece and the reporter who was helping her? I wonder why they never uploaded the video(s). I'm sure they didn't just lose interest...
Anyone have any news?

I found Lela Taylor on Facebook. Is it okay to post the link? Would someone be willing to send her a message and ask her why she and the reporter didn't finish the documentary? Or if she has any new information?

I found Lela Taylor on Facebook. Is it okay to post the link? Would someone be willing to send her a message and ask her why she and the reporter didn't finish the documentary? Or if she has any new information?

Sorry to be so late replying to this..I would think it would be okay to send her a message on FB. I deactivated my account on there for a while or else I would. I plan to reactivate it but don't know when.

I did some digging into this a few months ago and found some info about the reporter, Tim King. He apparently goes to Afghanistan and other places overseas to do reporting. I almost e-mailed him, but his schedule sounded so hectic I didn't know when he would be in the States. I figured maybe he just got too busy with being a foreign correspondent that maybe the idea of the documentary was either dropped or put on hold.

Sorry to be so late replying to this..I would think it would be okay to send her a message on FB. I deactivated my account on there for a while or else I would. I plan to reactivate it but don't know when.

I did some digging into this a few months ago and found some info about the reporter, Tim King. He apparently goes to Afghanistan and other places overseas to do reporting. I almost e-mailed him, but his schedule sounded so hectic I didn't know when he would be in the States. I figured maybe he just got too busy with being a foreign correspondent that maybe the idea of the documentary was either dropped or put on hold.

I don't have a FB account at all anymore so I can't do it either.
You're probably right about him being too busy, but I wonder about Lela. Seems odd she would just drop the documentary without any indication of whether it would be finished or not.
I wonder if maybe she learned something that made her stop...a family secret or something...:waitasec:

I don't have a FB account at all anymore so I can't do it either.
You're probably right about him being too busy, but I wonder about Lela. Seems odd she would just drop the documentary without any indication of whether it would be finished or not.
I wonder if maybe she learned something that made her stop...a family secret or something...:waitasec:

It could be that she learned something that changed her mind about going any further on the case. On the other hand, I hope Tim King just put the documentary on hold while he is traveling so much, and she may just be waiting until he has more time. She could be researching on her own until he has more free time. I just hope they haven't totally given up on it. I would love to find more info on this case.

If her sisters were sleeping, where is the proof she went past them with a water bucket... sorry but I'm wondering if something happened during the night. Not being able to talk, she was a prime candidate for abuse too. Not saying this was necessarily by close family, but could have been a neighbour etc.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheMidge
Back