OR - Boy dies at sitter's, second fatality at house

I found out some info about MySpace and Facebook. We are allowed to link to them IF the person has been named in the media as a suspect, POI or has been arrested. We are never to link to minors. Hope that helps :)

An autopsy was performed on the 2-year-old boy who died Friday after being at a home where another boy suffered fatal injuries in an accident in 2008, the sheriff's office said.
The results of the autopsy of Lincoln Weathers, 2, are not yet available, the Lane County Sheriff's Office said.
"The Sheriff's Office recognizes the sensitive nature of this inquiry, and is committed to conducting a methodical and thorough investigation," the sheriff's office said in a press release.

More at link:
http://www.kval.com/news/local/71995057.html

It sounds like she has had the daycare for about a year and a half. I just don't see the foul play. I think it is odd that she continued to be a daycare provider after a child dying. I think that would be a very traumatic experience.

Where is it said that she didn't feel remorse? I'm curious about this case. Probably because it's so close to home and I was in that town a few days ago.

I think the fact she's only had the daycare for a year and half is even more of a red flag. Two deaths in 15-20 years maybe, but two in 18 months?

Oh sorry I meant 2 and a half years. But still.. a year into her business one child dies and then a year and half later after that..

I'm trying to find more updates. She hasn't logged into her myspace, since then, so I don't really find it odd that she didn't change her mood.

i wonder what the police are doing to investigate.

It's very odd two children died at her house at all let alone in such a short time span. Did anyone witness either of these incidents? Did anyone else see the first child fall off his bike? Did the neighbor that was interviewed actually see the second child choking? I certainly wouldn't let my child go to her daycare.

http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms/sites/web/news/cityregion/23463882-41/story.csp
This article states the first little boy died after hitting the handle bars on a 4 wheel type toy? blunt force trauma to the abdomen. I don't understand that. Not saying it couldn't happen but I'm having trouble picturing it.

I'm having trouble picturing that happen, too.
Here's a link again to the old article about the boy who died from the 4 wheel toy. It shows a picture of a plastic 4 wheel toy and i am wondering if it is the toy that had supposed killed him..
http://www.kval.com/news/25791374.html

It's plastic.. and it looks like it may have a pad on the front handlebars type thing of it. Not sure if this is the toy or not.
In the article it says a mini tricycle, so i would assume it was a 3 wheeled toy.
How fast could a 2 year old baby actually go on a tricycle? To cause so much blunt force impact trauma to sever a liver?
Then the Bauman waits 2 hours to call for help and uses the neighbor's phone.. did she see it happen? If she didn't then she was neglecting to properly watch the children, and if she did see it, she would have seen if the impact of the fall was bad or not and should have called 911 ASAP.
It's not Bauman's child to begin with, you'd think she would err on the side of caution, especially being responsible for someone else's child..
Then not hardly a year and a half later another baby dies while under her care, this one chokes.
Either the woman has extemely bad luck with children, or something else is going on.

It says in one of the articles this 2nd time she has turned to the internet:

"Meanwhile, instead of on camera, Bauman is turning to the Internet to express her remorse over losing another child.
"Why must some take the loss of a family member and try to turn it into more than what it is," she wrote on her Facebook page. "Miss you linky dinky doo."
http://www.kval.com/news/70722992.html

IMO, i see no remorse in that statement, so i have no idea what the article means she is expressing it..
What i do see is her saying that people are trying to turn the whole situation of the second death of a child under her care into something more. Now who is she referring to that is doing this? The police?

Does she run a licensed daycare or not?
Perhaps she has a form of Münchausen syndrome by proxy. Did she ever have any of her own children die when they were newborns or infants by any chance?
I also agree with Mayelf, i think it's odd she would continue to do daycare after the death of the first child.
Maybe she liked the attention she got the first time around, idk, she could have a mental illness, something is not right with this at all, imo

anyone sleuthing her further? my hackles are way up on this one

Why could this woman not find her phone to call 911 ?

She couldn't find her phone and had a neighbor call 911. Hours later, Conner was dead and Bauman was in shock

http://www.kval.com/news/local/70669727.html

I actually understand not being able to find a portable phone in a house full of kids - that happens to me regularly and it happened even more when mine were toddlers. Now, if I ran a daycare, I'd be more focused on making sure the phone didn't get misplaced.

I don't know what to think about these incidents. Certainly, they warrant more investigation. It is so very sad. My prayers to these families.

It sounds like she has had the daycare for about a year and a half. I just don't see the foul play. I think it is odd that she continued to be a daycare provider after a child dying. I think that would be a very traumatic experience.

Where is it said that she didn't feel remorse? I'm curious about this case. Probably because it's so close to home and I was in that town a few days ago.

I'm with you on that, mayelf. I feel like I would be too devastated to continue watching children for a living had one died, even by accident, under my care.

I haven't seen evidence of foul play either.

We need to take care before pointing fingers, I know the parents of Lincoln, these two people are all about their kids and would never have let someone they did not trust to care for their kids. The parents are my nephew and his wife. IF they felt their child was in any danger in any shape or fashion , I can promise you they would never have left him with the sitter. There is much more to this story then you are reading in the news, and for the first child that died there of head injury. It is very possible to have happened that way. My bestfriend's grandson died in a similiar fashion. Just tripped and fell , hitting his head on the curb. It can and does happen.

Welcome to WS, wlasi. I am so sorry this has happened to your family.

Just a question - does this topic belong in Crimes in the News? I am not seeing where anyone has been charged with a crime.

In this article: http://www.kval.com/news/25791374.html

~ snip ~ Clark said Baumann told her the boy fell off a mini tricyle near some sprinklers and landed hard and also banged his head.

Clark said her neighbor waited two hours before calling for help. The injury was more severe than first believed, Clark said.
~ end snip ~

This leads me to believe that Baumann either didn't see the accident and did not know how the child hurt himself or she is being inconsistent with her stories.

Salem

ETA: Also, in both cases, Baumann had no phone or the phone had been misplaced. In CA it is mandatory in licensed daycare that there be a "home" phone. Meaning you must have a phone connected to the residence, not just a cell phone.

..... (respectfully snipped)
ETA: Also, in both cases, Baumann had no phone or the phone had been misplaced. In CA it is mandatory in licensed daycare that there be a "home" phone. Meaning you must have a phone connected to the residence, not just a cell phone.

It makes sense that a daycare provider must have a phone connected to the place where the children are cared for. But, as I mentioned earlier, if they have a portable phone on that home line and a houseful of children, I can completely understand the phone being misplaced. That happens to me constantly.

http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms/sites/web/news/cityregion/23463882-41/story.csp
This article states the first little boy died after hitting the handle bars on a 4 wheel type toy? blunt force trauma to the abdomen. I don't understand that. Not saying it couldn't happen but I'm having trouble picturing it.

I am a pediatric trauma nurse and handle bar injuries are unfortunately common causes of liver lacerations, splenic lacerations and intestinal perforation. There are varying degrees of each and it all depends on the angle of which the accident occurred. Liver lacerations can be very horrible. The liver hemorrhages I have seen can be devastating. It is amazing even more kids don't end up with handle bar induced abdominal trauma.

You know I have been quiet, reading what is being said here. Jenna has very deep remorse, you cant imagine what that family is going thru till you go threw it, and I pray you never do. I am just on the side of , do not make someone gulity till the facts are in. The autopsy for one , which should be in soon. You all should know that the news always play it up more to get more attention, if something is wrong then deal with it then , and when is shown was a tragedy you wont hear any more about it in the news. is how they play it , we all know that . We all just need to practice patience here.

Wlasi, do you know if Jenna had a license to practice daycare?

Hello all, new to this site. I have a little bit of personal involvement into this case. I was the daycare provider for Connor prior to JB becoming his daycare provider. I closed down my business in March of 07, and by summer of 07 he was placed in the care of JB. I have always felt a sense of responsibility in a way. If I had kept watching him, he would have been safe. I met JB at Connor's funeral last summer, and she to me appeared... aloof. I didnt feel right about the situation then just because I felt that she was not paying close enough attention. Now with this current situation, I am just sick. I do strongly feel that neglegence was involved. She has 4 small children of her own, and if she is no longer licensed then she was allowed up to 3 children (outside of her family) for care without being licensed. That is 7 children... that may have been too much for her to watch effectively, even with out breaking any laws.

Does anyone know if the babysitter has taken a poly or LDT in either case?

Locals,

Please contact Tricia to be interviewed. This is the way that WS uses in order to post local information. She will give you instructions on what can be posted because we try to keep away from starting rumors here when we can.

Here is her email: tgrif@xmission.com

Be sure to let her know which case you have information on and a link to this thread will help speed the process.

Thanks so much and THANK YOU FOR JOINING WEBSLEUTHS!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back