OR - Brooke Wilberger, 19, Corvallis, 24 May 2004 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is some new information.

http://katu.com/stories/77507.html

May 31, 2005

Minivan Sought In Brooke Wilberger Case

By KATU Web Staff
CORVALLIS, Ore. - Corvallis police say they are looking for a green 1997 Dodge Caravan that may be connected to the disappearance of Brooke Wilberger.

Police say on May 24, 2004, the day Wilberger disappeared, someone named 'Brian' called 911 from a cell phone regarding a speeding and recklessly driven green minivan in the Mid-Valley area.

The connection with the cell phone was lost before the call was completed.

Investigators say they would like to talk with that person to determine if what he saw that day was connected to Wilberger's disappearance.

They would also like to hear from anyone else who may have seen suspicious activity involving a green minivan between May 17 and May 31, 2004. Those with information are urged to call 1-800-THE-LOST.

Police say the suspicious activity may include the following:

A green minivan being in a place where it did not appear to belong (like a logging road or a farmer's field).

A green minivan being driven in a way that was significantly different from normal traffic.

A green minivan where the driver was acting in a strange or suspicious way (like attempting to lure women/girls close to the van).

http://www.gazettetimes.com/articles/2005/06/01/news/community/wed02.txt

More at the link

Investigators are seeking information about a 1997 green Dodge Caravan possibly connected with the disappearance of Brooke Wilberger.

The van is "associated with a person of interest" in the case of the missing 20-year-old Veneta woman police believe was abducted May 24, 2004, said Capt. Ron Noble of the Corvallis Police Department.

Information compiled over the last several weeks caused police to to issue a public request for information about the van, Noble said.

One piece of this information is that on the day Wilberger disappeared a man who identified himself as "Brian" made a 911 call from a cell phone regarding a speeding and recklessly driven green mini-van in the mid-valley area.

Noble declined to say which 911 dispatch center received the call. Police are holding back other information about the van as well for the benefit of the investigation.

"There are certain things that we've left out on purpose because we need to be able to validate (the information received)," Noble said.

This is not to say that anyone should hesitate to call the investigation's tip line, at 800-843-5678, if they saw such a van during the week before or the week after Wilberger disappeared. Police are especially interested to know if anyone saw the van being driven in an erratic or alarming manner, or saw it parked in a place where it would not be expected — such as on an old logging road or farmer's field; or if the driver was seen acting in a strange or suspicious way, possibly trying to lure young women or girls close to the van.

"We assume that whoever took Brooke would be exhibiting those types of behaviors," Noble said.

Investigators also hope that "Brian" will hear of the request for information and call the tip line.

There are potentially hundreds of green mini-vans in the mid-Willamette Valley, Noble said, but investigators "know exactly what they're looking for."

"We don't want to put other people in the position of having to determine if information is relevant because we know the whole case," he said.

Police have identified a green mini-van as possibly connected with Wilberger's abduction separately from the call from "Brian."

Though police know a current "person of interest" in the case is associated with a green mini-van, Noble declined to say whether police have already found and searched that van.

Very informative video on this mini-van and it's possible connection to the Brooke case at this link. http://katu.com/

This mini van was seen parked near where Brooke vanished the day before and one of the workers thought it looked suspicious then. The next day another worker spotted the same mini-van following a girl for a little ways. One of the 2 persons of interest in the abduction of Brooke has a green mini-van. It sounds like this person is in jail, but they are looking for a "Brian" who called 911 to reporst erractic and dangerous driving from a green mini-van the day Brooke disappeared.

This could be a huge break in the Brooke case!

Anngelique said:
Very informative video on this mini-van and it's possible connection to the Brooke case at this link. http://katu.com/

<...>

This could be a huge break in the Brooke case!
Definitely. Just not the kind of break most people think it is:
http://www.robertandrenay.com/sites/wilberger/images/Wilberger06.JPG

There's a green Dodge Caravan (with tinted windows) in that picture. That shot is from four days after the crime. May 28, 2004 - 4pm. It was taken in the back parking lot of Oak Park Apts. Anybody here know who that minivan belongs to?

Here are the rest of the pictures
http://www.robertandrenay.com/sites/wilberger/Wilberger.htm

RstJ

RobertStJames said:
Definitely. Just not the kind of break most people think it is:
http://www.robertandrenay.com/sites/wilberger/images/Wilberger06.JPG

There's a green Dodge Caravan (with tinted windows) in that picture. That shot is from four days after the crime. May 28, 2004 - 4pm. It was taken in the back parking lot of Oak Park Apts. Anybody here know who that minivan belongs to?

Here are the rest of the pictures
http://www.robertandrenay.com/sites/wilberger/Wilberger.htm

RstJ

Thanks for the pictures! Those are great to look at. The picture of the van in your personal pictures looks like a Ford Aerostar and not a Dodge Caravan. Did you watch the video from Katu news? They have more about the van there.

Anngelique said:
Thanks for the pictures! Those are great to look at. The picture of the van in your personal pictures looks like a Ford Aerostar and not a Dodge Caravan. Did you watch the video from Katu news? They have more about the van there.

I just posted the same thing on the other thread. I, too, think that van is a Ford, not a Chrysler.

P.S. Thanks to all who keep this story alive. I pray they find Brooke.

Hi,

My heart skipped a beat and rose up into my throat tonight when I heard about the Green Van and the fact there was a car like this that was related to a POI in the case. It has been so long in coming, and now I simply hope for God's speed and the continual tenacity of all the LE involved in the case to name the man who took Brook that day about a year ago. Too long in coming, as we have always felt for her courageous family and the grief of not knowing where she is and what happened to her.

God Bless them tonight. Their hearts must be on edge now, just waiting for the imminent call from the chief of police. That they now have everything put together and she will be home soon.

Truthfully, she has been in my heart everyday she has been missing. I think of her often and what she endured, and how so many people really enjoyed her in her life.

Here's a little kiss on the wing of a prayer to find her soon.

Scandi

http://katu.com/stories/77541.html

June 1, 2005
Police Identify Minivan In Wilberger CaseBy Bob Heye
and KATU Web Staff
CORVALLIS, Ore. - New details are emerging about a suspicious green minivan that police believe may be tied to the disappearance of Brooke Wilberger.

Police say they know where the minivan is that they have been looking for and they have identified its driver as a person of interest.

This latest news comes one day after Corvallis police sent out a press release saying they were looking for a green 1997 Dodge Caravan.

Police say on May 24, 2004, the day Wilberger disappeared, someone named 'Brian' called 911 from a cell phone regarding a speeding and recklessly driven green minivan in the Mid-Valley area.

The connection with the cell phone was lost and police said they wanted to speak with that person to determine if what he saw that day was connected to Wilberger's disappearance.

Matt Siewell, who spoke with KATU News on Tuesday, says he also saw a green van outside Reser Stadium just before Wilberger vanished.

"I remember the van still pretty well," he said. "That's what got my attention in the first place."

The site where Siewell says he saw the minivan is just blocks from the apartment complex where Brooke Wilberger disappeared.

"I just remember him sitting there with his driver door open," Siewell said. "I remember he had like brown, curly hair and it seemed like it was probably shoulder length. That's all I can remember about him now."

Now, Siewell and others who saw the van that day cannot be reached, which may mean that police have asked them not to make public statements while the investigation continues.

Authorities already know where the van is that they are interested in and they also know where the owner is.

Ron Noble with the Corvallis Police Department said he could not comment on whether police had the person of interest who owns the minivan in custody.

Police identified the person as one of two remaining persons of interest six months ago.

Now they want to know if they can connect the minivan to any potential victims at all.

"The operator of this type of van may have tried to lure women or girls to the van," said Noble.

Brooke Wilberger's brother-in-law believes this may finally be the break the family has been waiting for.

"We know of one person, Brian, who saw the vehicle. He made the effort a year ago and we're hoping he'll make that effort again," said Zak Hansen.

Police say they have received several tips so far involving sightings of green minivans around the time that Wilberger disappeared. They are encouraging anyone who has not yet contacted them with information to call 1-800-THE-LOST.

Public responds to request for van info

30 calls received about vehicle possibly linked to Wilberger case

By Jennifer Nitson
Gazette-Times reporter

As of Wednesday evening, the Corvallis Police Department had received just over 30 calls to their tip lines following a request for information about a green mini-van that may be linked to the disappearance last year of Brooke Wilberger.

Investigators are seeking information about a 1997 green Dodge Caravan that police have associated with a person of interest in the abduction case of Wilberger, the 20-year-old Veneta woman who disappeared from a Corvallis apartment complex parking lot in May 2004.

Police are also hoping to hear from a man named Brian who used a cell phone to call 911 the day Wilberger disappeared. The caller reported seeing a speeding and recklessly driven green mini-van in the Rickreal area, north of Monmouth.

"Unless Brian calls the police on a daily basis, he should remember making this call," said Corvallis Police Capt. Ron Noble.

More at link
http://www.gazettetimes.com/articles/2005/06/02/news/community/loc01.txt

Thanks Annegelique for the articles. Most interesting, isn't it. Siewall sees a green minivan not far from where Brooke was taken with a driver sitting in wait evidently with his door open. Then a wildly driven green minivan is spotted in the Rickreall area which is basically close to S Salem and quite a ways north of Corvallis. Wouldn't Salem be big enough to have its own 911 call monitoring center and system?

There must be something about that van that distinquishes it apart from any other green minivan, as to be the same one it was spotted at two points that are quite far apart milage wise - about 26 miles by my map.

Maybe the one seen close to Rickreal also had a driver with shoulder-length brown curly hair. Could it be that Brooke was in that minivan and as he approached the Rickreall area she woke up and started to fight to get out of the car and it caused him to swerve and draw attention to himself?

Both Corvallis and Rickreall ore on Hwy 99W, so it would be a straight shot for him to drive N up the hwy and get far away from the crime scene.

Hmmmmm! Sounds really probable, doesn't it, that this could be a really hot lead. And from what I read here, it seems the police know alot more about everything concerning this person and his minivan and are now simply trying to link him to other similar events in the area at that time. Wow!

Scandi

scandi said:
Thanks Annegelique for the articles. Most interesting, isn't it. Siewall sees a green minivan not far from where Brooke was taken with a driver sitting in wait evidently with his door open. Then a wildly driven green minivan is spotted in the Rickreall area which is basically close to S Salem and quite a ways north of Corvallis. Wouldn't Salem be big enough to have its own 911 call monitoring center and system?

There must be something about that van that distinquishes it apart from any other green minivan, as to be the same one it was spotted at two points that are quite far apart milage wise - about 26 miles by my map.

Maybe the one seen close to Rickreal also had a driver with shoulder-length brown curly hair. Could it be that Brooke was in that minivan and as he approached the Rickreall area she woke up and started to fight to get out of the car and it caused him to swerve and draw attention to himself?

Both Corvallis and Rickreall ore on Hwy 99W, so it would be a straight shot for him to drive N up the hwy and get far away from the crime scene.

Hmmmmm! Sounds really probable, doesn't it, that this could be a really hot lead. And from what I read here, it seems the police know alot more about everything concerning this person and his minivan and are now simply trying to link him to other similar events in the area at that time. Wow!

Scandi

It sure does sound plausible. I used to deliver the Statesman Journal to all the stores in Dallas, Monmouth, Independence and Rickreal. I know those roads like the back of my hand. You are correct in 99W being a very likely get away. Also because it is not heavily patrolled. Normally it has to be a sheriff that patrols that area and you just don't see a lot of Sheriff cars around.

To answer your question about Salem is yes, we have our own 911 system. I am not sure if Dallas has their own or not. Rickreal is normally associated with either Monmouth or Dallas. I do daycare for 2 moms who work at the 911 center here in Salem. I have thought about calling and asking them about this development. In fact I most likely will. I hardly ever get to see these moms because they have older children and drop off at 5:30 AM. I leave a door open for them and they bring the kids in and settle them down on the daycare couch, then lock the door behind them. I get up 6AM and they are asleep again. Then their dad who is not married to their mom picks them up. So I don't see the moms as often.

I truly think this is a good lead. I am praying it leads to some knowledge for Brooke's family. It has been over a year now, they deserve some info.

Do you think they have put this guy in the box yet and grilled him? Since he's already in jail he's got to be lawyered up. If the police have the minivan or know where it is, do you think with the advent of the 911 call they have had it tested forensicly {sp}?

I know, I know! TOO MANY QUESTIONS LOL

Scandi

PS: One great thing that I learned from cop shows ~ What you do to a guy when he's 'In The Box'! Ha Ha Ha and a Ya Ya Ya!!!

http://www.gazettetimes.com/articles/2005/06/03/news/community/friloc03.txt

Police disclose time of 911 call

By the Gazette-Times

Police have released one more detail regarding a 911 call made the day Brooke Wilberger was abducted, in hopes of making contact with a man named Brian.

The man, who only gave a first name, used a cell phone to call 911 the day Wilberger vanished from a Corvallis apartment complex parking lot. He reported seeing a speeding and recklessly driven green-mini van in the Rickreal area, north of Monmouth.

Brian made that call at 11 a.m., said Corvallis Police Capt. Ron Noble. Wilberger was last seen by family members around 10 a.m. May 24, 2004.

Since issuing a request Tuesday to hear from Brian and for information from anyone who has seen a 1997 green Dodge Caravan that police have associated with a "person of interest" in the abduction case, police have received more than 50 calls to their tip line.

"We've got people that we've got to call back and get some more info and see if it's the same van," Noble said.

Police are interested in hearing from anyone who saw a green mini-van during the week before or the week after Wilberger disappeared; saw the van being driven in an erratic or alarming manner; saw the van parked in a place where it would not be expected — such as on an old logging road or farmer's field; or observed the driver acting in a strange or suspicious way, possibly trying to lure young women or girls close to the van.

Investigators have already identified the van they are interested in and are not looking for the van itself, but for information about the van and where it was seen. Such information could help investigators identify areas to search for Wilberger, Noble said.

The Corvallis Police Department is dispelling rumors that a green van associated with the Brooke Wilberger disappearance was found in Arizona, giving investigators what they needed to solve the case.

Police also asked the man who identified himself as "Brian" and called 911 the day of Wilberger's disappearance to contact the police department.

http://www.gazettetimes.com/articles/2005/06/17/news/community/friloc03.txt

mysteriew said:
The Corvallis Police Department is dispelling rumors that a green van associated with the Brooke Wilberger disappearance was found in Arizona, giving investigators what they needed to solve the case.

Police also asked the man who identified himself as "Brian" and called 911 the day of Wilberger's disappearance to contact the police department.

http://www.gazettetimes.com/articles/2005/06/17/news/community/friloc03.txt

I saw this on AMW......is this newly released info????? If so, why has it taken over a year to release this???????? Seems they would have mentioned this 911 call and green van driving erratic back when it all happened......

The information about the van and 911 call have been out for about a month.

Anngelique said:
http://www.gazettetimes.com/articles/2005/06/03/news/community/friloc03.txt

Police disclose time of 911 call

By the Gazette-Times

Police have released one more detail regarding a 911 call made the day Brooke Wilberger was abducted, in hopes of making contact with a man named Brian.

The man, who only gave a first name, used a cell phone to call 911 the day Wilberger vanished from a Corvallis apartment complex parking lot. He reported seeing a speeding and recklessly driven green-mini van in the Rickreal area, north of Monmouth.

Brian made that call at 11 a.m., said Corvallis Police Capt. Ron Noble. Wilberger was last seen by family members around 10 a.m. May 24, 2004.

Since issuing a request Tuesday to hear from Brian and for information from anyone who has seen a 1997 green Dodge Caravan that police have associated with a "person of interest" in the abduction case, police have received more than 50 calls to their tip line.

"We've got people that we've got to call back and get some more info and see if it's the same van," Noble said.

Police are interested in hearing from anyone who saw a green mini-van during the week before or the week after Wilberger disappeared; saw the van being driven in an erratic or alarming manner; saw the van parked in a place where it would not be expected — such as on an old logging road or farmer's field; or observed the driver acting in a strange or suspicious way, possibly trying to lure young women or girls close to the van.

Investigators have already identified the van they are interested in and are not looking for the van itself, but for information about the van and where it was seen. Such information could help investigators identify areas to search for Wilberger, Noble said.
if the timeline of duncan is near accurate, he was out of jail during this time, I know he liked boys, but I feel he had a real hate for females, I just wonder if maybe duncan had something to do with this one? lots of rental companys have vans, and he likes vehicles which are roomy. just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member