OR OR - David Grubbs, 23, Ashland, 19 Nov 2011

Seriously?? There haven't been any updates since my last post in Jan 2020??
I guess it's common that a person would be walking along a bike path in a city and get his head chopped off with a sword?? Surely LE has come up with more info in this case, right?

Hopefully it's just because I missed the new thread about this case. :(

It was such a bizarre and awful crime (I live here). I expect there will be some 10 year anniversary news stories and maybe an update in November…I hope. I think there is a lot of information LE is holding back. The investigation was intense and wide-ranging.

This is the latest story from a year ago. It’s a good summary…

Unsolved So. Oregon: A Fatal Strike - KOBI-TV NBC5 / KOTI-TV NBC2
But there’s one thing Chief O’Meara is certain of.

“Somebody out there knows something that could contribute to this case and they’re keeping it to themselves. And I have to imagine that carrying that knowledge around is probably like carrying a boulder around your neck,” he said.

Nobody has ever been named a suspect in David Michael Grubb’s murder.

If you know something, contact the Ashland Police Department at (541) 488-2211.

A $21,000 reward is available for information.

Here’s the section on David on the Police department website.
David Grubbs Homicide - Police - City of Ashland, Oregon

1668348178202.png
Nov. 12, 2022, By Sarah Portney rbbm.

''23-year-old David Grubbs was brutally murdered on his way home from work at the local Shop’n Kart in Ashland, Oregon on November 19, 2011.Tighe O’Meara, one of the responding officers, is now the chief of police for the Ashland Police Department.“Pretty much all of my 2012 was investigating David's murder,” Chief O’Meara told Dateline.He said that he’s held David’s case close to his heart ever since that rainy Saturday in November of 2011.“It was about 5:35 p.m., and the reason I remember that so well is, it was just getting dark,” Chief O’Meara said. ''

”Authorities later determined that David was killed with an edged weapon. The weapon has never been recovered."Until this case came up, I was oblivious to how many people carry machetes and how many people carry swords," Chief O'Meara said. “We were getting tips left and right and up and down and from every angle. It turns out an awful lot of people carry swords around for one reason or another.”The chief said they followed up on the tips. “So we contacted countless people that were carrying heavy-edged weapons,” he said. “We confiscated a lot of large bladed weapons and unfortunately none of it really led anywhere."The police chief remembers the community was extremely anxious after David’s murder.

“David was the gentlest, funniest man -- young man -- I've ever met in my life,” P.J. said. “He had great musical talent and he was just so gentle.”In fact, said Garrison, “Music was how we connected.” He told Dateline that David has been a huge inspiration throughout his musical career. “David was the reason I became a musician and he was very -- maybe I won't even say naturally gifted, because he had been doing it for so long -- but he was, he was gifted,” he said.Garrison was not just one of David’s closest friends, he was also his co-worker at the Shop’n Kart grocery store.

Chief O’Meara told Dateline.According to the chief, there was “no motive thread that we found to pull on.” There was “no scorned partner, no beef at work” and “David was very well-liked.”Chief O’Meara said that in the past 11 years, the Ashland Police Department has identified a man named Christian Delaurentiis as a person of interest in David’s case. “We know that he was living here at the time and we know that he was a severe heroin addict,” Chief O’Meara said. It is unknown if David had ever met Delaurentiis.Chief O’Meara told Dateline that they are unable to move forward with Delaurentiis as a suspect in David’s murder. “We're just kind of stuck, because he won't talk to us and people don't have to talk to the police,” O’Meara explained.

’”Anyone with information is encouraged to contact the Ashland Police Department at 541-482-5211 or the APD Anonymous Tip Line at 541-552-2333''

View attachment 379521
Nov. 12, 2022, By Sarah Portney rbbm.

''23-year-old David Grubbs was brutally murdered on his way home from work at the local Shop’n Kart in Ashland, Oregon on November 19, 2011.Tighe O’Meara, one of the responding officers, is now the chief of police for the Ashland Police Department.“Pretty much all of my 2012 was investigating David's murder,” Chief O’Meara told Dateline.He said that he’s held David’s case close to his heart ever since that rainy Saturday in November of 2011.“It was about 5:35 p.m., and the reason I remember that so well is, it was just getting dark,” Chief O’Meara said. ''

”Authorities later determined that David was killed with an edged weapon. The weapon has never been recovered."Until this case came up, I was oblivious to how many people carry machetes and how many people carry swords," Chief O'Meara said. “We were getting tips left and right and up and down and from every angle. It turns out an awful lot of people carry swords around for one reason or another.”The chief said they followed up on the tips. “So we contacted countless people that were carrying heavy-edged weapons,” he said. “We confiscated a lot of large bladed weapons and unfortunately none of it really led anywhere."The police chief remembers the community was extremely anxious after David’s murder.

“David was the gentlest, funniest man -- young man -- I've ever met in my life,” P.J. said. “He had great musical talent and he was just so gentle.”In fact, said Garrison, “Music was how we connected.” He told Dateline that David has been a huge inspiration throughout his musical career. “David was the reason I became a musician and he was very -- maybe I won't even say naturally gifted, because he had been doing it for so long -- but he was, he was gifted,” he said.Garrison was not just one of David’s closest friends, he was also his co-worker at the Shop’n Kart grocery store.

Chief O’Meara told Dateline.According to the chief, there was “no motive thread that we found to pull on.” There was “no scorned partner, no beef at work” and “David was very well-liked.”Chief O’Meara said that in the past 11 years, the Ashland Police Department has identified a man named Christian Delaurentiis as a person of interest in David’s case. “We know that he was living here at the time and we know that he was a severe heroin addict,” Chief O’Meara said. It is unknown if David had ever met Delaurentiis.Chief O’Meara told Dateline that they are unable to move forward with Delaurentiis as a suspect in David’s murder. “We're just kind of stuck, because he won't talk to us and people don't have to talk to the police,” O’Meara explained.

’”Anyone with information is encouraged to contact the Ashland Police Department at 541-482-5211 or the APD Anonymous Tip Line at 541-552-2333''
Look, I see two horrible similarities here in both cases. That is the perp in both cases has not been caught and more chillingly the perp has not committed an act like this in the nearby vicinity of the two murders, did the perp/perps do this again somewhere else? IMO authorities would know if something similar has happened in another jurisdiction/s. So maybe not in a similar fashion as these awful murders were committed but maybe in another way like using something else or maybe a gun. This is the main reason I think Katherine's murder was random and had elements of hate in it perhaps her appearance, sadly as the words carved into her torso may indicate. MOO. What alarms me is that people are thinking Katherine's case may not be random and want to believe anything else but it being random and will put forth arguments as to why. But IMO here is another case that has a blade used nothing has been reported of a similar nature happening afterwards just as in Katherine's case. So IMO we have to look seriously at how brutal both cases are and is that what is at the heart of the case just horrendous harm and no other reason. I'm sure the perp in this young man's case took advantage of th darker hours. 5:30pm, wow, it may be that along with the dark very few people were out where he was? Otherwise at this time IMO the perp would have been caught 5:30pm is afternoon only. Some extenuating circumstances just as in Katherine's case the perp hasn't been caught. Wow!

Missizzy or other locals - question.

The below article says that extra patrols have been placed on the "Bear Creek Greenway" what/where exactly is that? You'll notice a comment below the article from Troy Carney's mother regarding the unsolved murder of her son (camping) a few years back on The "Bear Creek Greenway"

http://kdrv.com/news/local/231276

just looking for some geographical scope. thanks.
David was killed behind Hunter Park, on the bike path, which runs along the freight trains tracks through Ashland. The Bear Creek Greenway isn't actually connected to this bike path. Troy was killed in Central Point in an area along the Bear Creek Greenway, between I-5 (exit 33)and Hamrick road, along Biddle Road (Pine street in Central Point) across from the Pilot Truck stop.
http://www.bearcreekgreenway.com/Files/BearCreekGreenwayMap.jpg

does the area where David Lewis was killed also lay on the greenway?
No, but David is buried right along the bike path on the backside of Mountain View Cemetery in Normal st. David Grubbs would have walked past it on his walk home from Shop N Kart.

Attachments

• FE19EAFB-0F20-4102-9139-DC080EC1869D.jpeg
    FE19EAFB-0F20-4102-9139-DC080EC1869D.jpeg
    720.8 KB · Views: 3
Only person of interest ever named in this case-- Christian DeLaurentiis

Christian Delaurentiis, 32, leaves the courtroom after his sentencing for the 2012 murder of Phillip Lindemuth. Delaurentiis was sentenced Thursday, April 9, 2015, to life in prison with a chance for parole after 41 years and four months. He pleaded guilty to aggravated murder and first-degree abuse of corpse.

Ashland Police continue investigation into David Grubbs murder - KOBI-TV NBC5 / KOTI-TV NBC2

Nothing new (according to this update from November 2023).
No significant leads that LE is willing to share. :'(
I was one of David's co-workers at Shop N Kart. He was a good kid. All of us were questioned by the police at least once. There never seemed to be any rhyme or reason for why it happened. It was just so random and tragic and unfathomable.
I hope there's still a chance this case can be solved.

✌️

I was one of David's co-workers at Shop N Kart. He was a good kid. All of us were questioned by the police at least once. There never seemed to be any rhyme or reason for why it happened. It was just so random and tragic and unfathomable.
I hope there's still a chance this case can be solved.

✌️
<hugs> to you and your fellow coworkers. That must have been incredibly difficult to deal with. As you said, it seemed so random.

<hugs> to you and your fellow coworkers. That must have been incredibly difficult to deal with. As you said, it seemed so random.
Thanks. It was rough at the time. I remember seeing the reports of something happening in that area on FB the night it happened.

Then when I went back to work that Sunday I was unaware until midday what had happened to David. Everyone seemed to know about it but no one knew that I didn't know. It was an awful sick feeling when I found out.

I have lived here my whole life and nothing so brutal and inexplicable had ever happened in my memory.

[Actually that's not true, Manuel Cortez killed two girls just a year younger than myself in 1979.
That's a whole different story.]

A co-worker made the metal cross and stenciled it with David's name. Later that week we gathered at the spot on the path behind Hunter Park at around the same time he'd been found, 5:30 pm, and the most striking thing to me was HOW DARK IT WAS.

There were no lights on the bike path in that area near the cemetery and behind the tennis courts at Hunter Park next to the train tracks, it was pitch black out.

As people approached to join the gathering they appeared as dark shadows, you couldn't recognize them until they were very close, like right upon you almost face to face.

It's possible it wasn't quite that dark yet when David was attacked but if it was he wouldn't have been able to identify someone until they were very close to him.

I was much older than David so we weren't peers, and I haven't worked there in more than 10 years now but I can genuinely say he was a good guy and a great co-worker.

Everyone loved him, he was great with customers, quick, thorough and he didn't seem to have a bad bone in his body. He was a pretty cheerful guy with a wicked sense of humor.

It's sad it's been so long without answers.

There is one co-worker I was always somewhat suspicious of. SC. A guy that had moved down from Canada with his wife and kids, his FIL was a department manager there.

SC was older than David's usual group of friends but always seemed to try to fit in, talking about gaming and stuff. I always felt like it was an awkward fit.

Anyway, one time I overheard David and this person talking in the next aisle about what if certain video games were real life live action, and they specifically talked about violent surprise attack interactions.

At the time I didn't think much of it and even after his death it wasn't in the forefront of my thoughts but after his COD came out that conversation has always haunted me.

I talked about it with another old co-worker in the last few years.
JD-C, she remembered his name because they have the same last name.

My friend was interviewed three times (I was interviewed twice as most of my co-workers were) as they were one of the last to see David as they left work and headed out into the parking lot around the same time.

Anyways, more backstory from a local if that's helpful.

✌️

My husband was watching KOBI (Channel 5) Medford news tonight and they announced there were new developments in the David Grubbs case, but didn’t say what they were. I haven’t found anything online yet so stay tuned for updates.

ETA: Found something…

APD says two new detectives recently have been assigned to look into new leads that have surfaced.

Last edited:
My husband was watching KOBI (Channel 5) Medford news tonight and they announced there were new developments in the David Grubbs case, but didn’t say what they were. I haven’t found anything online yet so stay tuned for updates.
ETA: Found something…

APD says two new detectives recently have been assigned to look into new leads that have surfaced. Happy to hear that. Thank you.

The Ashland Police Department announced two new detectives have been assigned, looking into new leads.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back