GUILTY OR - Jeanette Maples, 15, dies of abuse, torture in Eugene, 9 Dec 2009

Chicana--I'm not going to disagree with you at all. It's obvious that your experience has been horrid. I honestly do not doubt that for a second. I want to correct one point, though. I've NEVER worked within the system. I work WITH the system. My husband's and my goal was to help kids. Plain and simple. We figured out how to "work" the system (and I don't mean this negatively, at all). I simply mean that we learned to play by the system's rules to achieve our agenda.

For the last 20 years or so, I've spent every second of every day playing nice, covering my butt, being pro-active, having an open door policy (you're a worker and would like to talk to me?--then come on in), keeping meticulous files, logging every single conversation, interaction, and phone call with a worker, child, or involved professional and literally living at meetings with workers, the school, and LE.

This has been my choice. It rarely been pleasant or up-lifting but it was necessary to do the work we chose to do. I sometimes liken it to what teachers must do to stay in the classroom. Our sexual abuse case was a kick in the teeth as it set us back horribly and took precious time away from what we were trying to do--adopt special needs children from the system, get them services, love them to pieces....and see what happened. Any you know what? In spite of the system, in spite of the red tape, we've had some wonderful successes.

The system is flawed....I'll agree with you there. But the system holds to reins to hundreds of thousands of children and I'll do anything, crawl over any hurdle, to get to those children. But I do know the humiliation, the sense of smacking your head on a brick wall, the absolutely unbelievable lack of good common sense that can be prevalent in a government run system. Oh, do I.

I have no doubt that a person pulled into the system by default will not have a good experience. It's not user--parent or child--friendly. It only works for those of us who've been doing this long enough to build alliances and figure out the ropes.

I think we see the same agency through very different eyes. But please don't think that I always agree with them or think that they are always doing their job. Believe me when I say that they've hurt me greatly at times. I see them a bit as I do an ER triage room--there's going to be some miracles and happy endings but there's going to be a lot of broken hearts too.

I wish I could help you in some way. You can always PM me and let me know if there's anything I can do. I really value your input and look forward to your posts.

http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cm...3629-41/jeanette-mcanulty-angela-lynn-son.csp

Family, neighbors shed light on murder case

"At 15, Jeanette Maples should have been blossoming socially and physically.

Instead, those who knew the Eugene girl — whose mother and stepfather allegedly abused and murdered her earlier this month — say she became increasingly withdrawn and emaciated after her mother began homeschooling her last year.

Lynn McAnulty, a Leaburg resident whose son married Jeanette’s mother seven years ago, said she first noticed in August that the always-shy teen appeared dangerously unhealthy.

McAnulty was at Sacred Heart Medical Center at RiverBend in Springfield on Dec. 9 — the night Jeanette died. She said she wanted to see her stepgranddaughter’s body, but law enforcement officials at the scene convinced her otherwise.

“They said, ‘You don’t want to do that,’ ” she said. “They told me she weighed 50 pounds.”

Here's an update from Eugene, OR on the sad story of Jeanette Maples' sad life. It's truly tragic.

RIP Sweet Jeanette

Reading this story killed. me. Everyone knew, everyone had an instinct about how wrong the situation was.

You know all of these cases are the same with a few exceptions....(Riley Sawyers springs to mind) The adults in the lives of these poor angels torture and starve and beat these children to death, and then are surprised when they die. Frightened and surprised-they make calls everywhere and whine and cry. They call 911.

Why then? Why not make the call BEFORE-why not call grandma before and say "I want to whip the crap out of my child-please come and take her?"

Kids just want love and protection really-and they give back so much. We are GATEKEEPERS-we do not own them.

The hardest part for me, Believe, was where Jeanette (not too long ago) wrote that if she could be anyone, she wanted to be her Mother. Even with all she endured, she wanted love and she admired her mother.

50 lbs. at age 15? I can hardly think about that without crumbling. So many many people could have helped. I know they're all grieving and kicking themselves now but we need to remember this. We need to remember to not wait until a child is breathing her last breath while bleeding in the bathtub, to call. We can't wait until we have irrefutable "proof". DHS is NOT perfect and screw-ups occur, but it's all we have.

Please call.

The only update I've found on Jeanette Maples' death:

http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cm...5996-46/mcanulty-death-angela-county-lane.csp

"The attorneys entered “not guilty” pleas for both Angela Darlene McAnulty, 41, and Richard Anthony McAnulty Sr., 42. Both were charged with aggravated murder of the 15-year-old River Road area girl. The Lane County District Attorney’s Office has not yet decided if it will seek the death penalty against one or both of the McAnultys.

In separate indictments returned late Tuesday by a Lane County grand jury, both McAnultys were accused of recklessly causing Jeanette’s death by neglect and maltreatment and “as a result of intentional maiming and torture.”

"Details of her injuries have not been released. Hasselman said Wednesday that he did not expect that information to become public until pretrial hearings in the cases."

Finally, some details about Jeanette and her very preventable death. From The Oregonian:

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2010/01/cries_for_help_for_jeanette_ma.html

"EUGENE -- Many in this community were heartbroken last month when they learned that 15-year-old Jeanette Maples was killed, but few were surprised when authorities charged her mother and stepfather with murder.

For three years, people in Jeanette's life tried to get child welfare authorities involved, to no avail. Her step-grandmother, a concerned parent of a friend and educators all called the state Department of Human Services because she was bruised, constantly hungry and said she had been beaten at home."

I'm not feeling very proud to be an Oregonian tonight. This is what my husband and I have dedicated our lives to preventing. There are very ready, willing, and experienced foster families waiting. This hurts as I just don't understand. What a beautiful little girl.

Believe--Can I thank you ten times over for your statement,"We are GATEKEEPERS, we do not own them." It's so so true. And I have to beg families, make that 911 call before the child suffers irreversible harm. Then, it's too late for anyone. Your statement reminded me of the poetry I read at my granddaughter's funeral (she died 8 hours after her full term birth) two years ago. I find it very helpful, as a parent, to reread it frequently. Kind of puts us in our place.

"On Children"
Kahlil Gibran

Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them,
but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

You are the bows from which your children
as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,
and He bends you with His might
that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
so He loves also the bow that is stable.

Finally, some details about Jeanette and her very preventable death. From The Oregonian:

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2010/01/cries_for_help_for_jeanette_ma.html

"EUGENE -- Many in this community were heartbroken last month when they learned that 15-year-old Jeanette Maples was killed, but few were surprised when authorities charged her mother and stepfather with murder.

For three years, people in Jeanette's life tried to get child welfare authorities involved, to no avail. Her step-grandmother, a concerned parent of a friend and educators all called the state Department of Human Services because she was bruised, constantly hungry and said she had been beaten at home."

I'm not feeling very proud to be an Oregonian tonight. This is what my husband and I have dedicated our lives to preventing. There are very ready, willing, and experienced foster families waiting. This hurts as I just don't understand. What a beautiful little girl.

This case is so heartbreaking and sickening. Everyone did everything right in reporting their suspicions, yet those responsible for following through and protecting this poor little girl failed. I just don't know how they can live with themselves.

Sadly, this type of situation is not isolated and not unique to Oregon. It's happening all over our country. Over and over and over again. The CPS system needs to be completely rebuilt nationwide. IMO, it is fundamentally broken.

Txsvicki--You brought up the issue of Jeanette's age (15) a few posts back and I followed up with a post agreeing that that could be an issue with DHS not responding to her case. We've watched this happen again and again in Oregon in the last ten years or so as the budget tightens. Now, I'm not saying that this couldn't happen to a five year old as we've had those cases too but our teens really seem to be suffering. There seems to be a DHS position that teens can get out and get help. That's not always so.

I'm still stuck on the fact that Jeanette was a home-schooled student receiving services from the ESD (Educational Service District). There could be a number of reasons for that. However, in my experience, it is typically because the child has an identifiable special need. Even if the child is home-schooled, he/she is entitled to special services through the ESD. I am not trying to judge this child and I mean no disrespect but in reading the descriptions of Jeanette, I'm left wondering if she didn't have a special need. This could be a learning disability, mental illness (yes, depression), mental retardation (cognitive impairment), Autism or Spectrum Disorder, or Severe Emotional Disorder (doubtful). It could also be a classification of Gifted and Talented. I'm just listing a few of the qualifying disabilities/eligibility factors which could possibly fit.

For whatever reason she was connected with the ESD, she was receiving some service from an educator which put that person in direct contact with Jeanette. How could that person NOT notice her dropping to 50 pounds!!?? How could they not converse with her and determine that she was seriously sad and withdrawn. How could they not see bruises and abrasions? I'm just dumbfounded that a teacher could not get DHS interested in this case.

We've lived in Oregon for almost 17 years and had eight (all unfounded) reports to DHS. I used to be horribly ashamed of those until I realized that they came with the territory of raising special needs kids. I can say from personal experience that DHS has been swift in responding to school reports concerning our kids. We had a 17 year old walk out one night after refusing to take his insulin. He spent the night in our local park and we picked him up (not feeling so hot--teaching some natural consequences here) the next morning. He mentioned the incident to his teacher who called DHS, worried about his safety (bless him for doing so). That very afternoon, we got a visit from a caseworker. Thankfully, we had his doctor, probation officer, and therapist back up our actions and the report was marked unfounded. However, our son was spoken to privately. We were asked to attend a "family meeting" at DHS to set up a planned response to this health issue for this child. The whole process was actually helpful. Why didn't this happen for Jeanette?

When Jeanette's teacher called in a report, DHS should have responded. They should have spoken privately to Jeanette and she could have disclosed. If she denied any abuse, but something didn't seem right (like emaciation, bruises, etc.), she should have been seen by a doctor. Even her demeanor would raise red flags for most caseworkers as the downcast eyes, quiet voice, extreme shyness point to either a child needing mental health care or a child who is being victimized--physically, emotionally, or sexually. A caseworkers job is to gently pry until they learn what is going wrong in a child's life. Besides the first visit, there should have been follow-ups.

Eugene is a very sophisticated and child-friendly small city. They have excellent schools. I'm tremendously shocked that Jeanette's misery--while noted by many--was ignored by DHS. They've got a lot of explaining to do. I'll withhold my rant until they let us know exactly what their actions were on behalf of this girl.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oreg...f/2010/01/oregon_dhs_a_long_history_of_n.html

A strongly worded commentary by one of the lead columnists at the Oregonian, Steve Duin:

Oregon DHS: a long history of neglect

"..........We know how the self-serving critique will turn out:

No one at the agency will be quizzed about their bone-headed decisions. No one will lose their job or be held accountable. The automatons who left Maples to her misery will remain secure behind the shield of confidentiality, one that serves the guilty at DHS, not the innocents still trapped in the child-welfare system.

The state's cynical lip service toward these at-risk children begins at the top with Gov. Ted Kulongoski. His legacy as governor is littered with reports of the fierce escalation in child abuse and neglect, especially in the state's foster-care system."

I have to say the Mr. Duin's article saddens me as I voted for Governor Kulongoski and truly expected a better "report card" on social services. These are hard times but, as always, children come first.

I pray that Jeanette's needless death, as well as that of little Alexis Pounder, brings about massive systemic changes. I'm watching this case closely and will post updates as new info comes out.

http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cm...eanette-report-abuse-officials-department.csp

Agency faulted in teen’s death
A report says Department of Human Services workers should have better investigated claims of abuse they first received as long as three years ago

"Department of Human Services workers improperly disregarded several reports that slain teen Jeanette Maples was a victim of child abuse, agency officials acknowledged in a report released Wednesday.

Department officials are continuing to look into the lackluster responses, and have placed one employee on administrative leave pending the probe’s outcome. Several other employees are under investigation, the agency’s director, Dr. Bruce Goldberg, said.

Jeanette died Dec. 9 after allegedly suffering fatal abuse and neglect at the hands of her mother and stepfather in Eugene. Both face aggravated murder charges in connection with the 15-year-old’s death."

A worthwhile article. However, I cringed upon reading the word "lackluster". "Non-existent" or "blatant disregard" are the phrases which come to my mind. This murder has been very hard for me as I live in Oregon, have been involved in children's services and advocacy for 20 years, and am blessed to have a 15 year old special needs teen living with us in long term foster care.

Jeanette deserved a safe and loving place to grow up. She could have had it. We do have dedicated foster families in this state ready and willing to be a resource for young ladies like Jeanette. Why did she have to die?

i think the fact that no one in her so-called family can even figure out how old she was is telling of how they cared about her.
this is a same repetetive story over and over again........
signs of abuse ignored by neighbors........calls to cps/dcfs/dhs go ignored or are treated with a glane. poor girl only has a dog for a friend and a father who cant be bothered to visit her once every decade.

kbl--I think the step-grandmother tried and we don't have the luxury of hindsight. She didn't try hard enough given the way our system is set up currently. The fact is that she shouldn't have had to do more than she did. Her first call should have gotten a response. The database records each report. Why didn't someone follow up?

Concerning the age of the child, remember that the mother (who's being held on murder charges) would have most likely been the only one in this family who knew the child's year of birth. This step family had only been in the child's life for a couple of years and I think the mother kept them away from this girl, in order to conceal the abuse. I honestly feel that this can be an honest mistake. JMO

kbl--I think the step-grandmother tried and we don't have the luxury of hindsight. She didn't try hard enough given the way our system is set up currently. The fact is that she shouldn't have had to do more than she did. Her first call should have gotten a response. The database records each report. Why didn't someone follow up?

Concerning the age of the child, remember that the mother (who's being held on murder charges) would have most likely been the only one in this family who knew the child's year of birth. This step family had only been in the child's life for a couple of years and I think the mother kept them away from this girl, in order to conceal the abuse. I honestly feel that this can be an honest mistake. JMO

step grandmother is the only one who cared enough to try. i apologzie for grouping her in with the rest.
i think the 'dad' should know what year she was born btw.

"Investigators have declined to release further details about her death. Prosecutors instructed the Department of Human Services to black out several portions of the report released Wednesday.

State Attorney General John Kroger said he advised officials to withhold certain details “in order to protect the ongoing criminal investigation, prevent possible tainting of witness recollections and maintain the integrity of the criminal justice process.”

After the McAnultys’ criminal cases are closed, officials will make a full report available to the public."

Yes, years from now, when we've moved on to other deaths and tortured children. Then, and only then, will we hear the gory details. They don't want us to get too worked up and call for more heads to roll.

"Investigators have declined to release further details about her death. Prosecutors instructed the Department of Human Services to black out several portions of the report released Wednesday.

State Attorney General John Kroger said he advised officials to withhold certain details “in order to protect the ongoing criminal investigation, prevent possible tainting of witness recollections and maintain the integrity of the criminal justice process.”

After the McAnultys’ criminal cases are closed, officials will make a full report available to the public."

Yes, years from now, when we've moved on to other deaths and tortured children. Then, and only then, will we hear the gory details. They don't want us to get too worked up and call for more heads to roll.

i wonder if there more intrested in concealing there own incompetence rather then how she died.

Janette Maples case: DHS investigates itself

Last Update: 8:07 am

Eugene (KMTR) - The Oregon Department of Human Services admits there was a breakdown in the system when they mishandled the case of a Eugene girl whose parents are accused of killing her.

The bottom line: They didn't follow their own policies.

In Oregon, DHS received four reports of abuse beginning in 2006, but agency spokesman Gene Evans says those reports were not handled properly.

Explaining what's next in the case, Evans said, “This is the first of the CIRT reports. It's called an initial report. There'll be a second one of these in a couple of weeks, and the process is, every 30 days to issue a report until we feel we've gotten to the bottom of exactly what happened and where the problems were with the actions of the agency that lead to this really, truly tragic occurance."

One DHS employee is on administrative leave because of the incident.

more here

http://www.kmtr.com/news/local/stor...s-itself/NJdaTFxKQUasX4EiIfnOGA.cspx?rss=2088

'one dhs employee is on administrative leave'
can you say 'SCAPEGOAT'

Using my magic powers...before I read the article...it is a paid administrative leave.

The ball was dropped 'cause the agency is overwhelmed/was in turmoil/was underfunded/turnover was high so the calls were filed/case workers told their bosses but nothing happened....

did I miss anything?

Hopin everyone sleeps well at night in that agency.

Here is the thing-with a track record like this, how can the agency be given the authority to be decision makers AT all when it comes to issues surrounding child abuse and mistreatment??

Oh, RIIGHT-it was just this case. Think of how many other children were helped....

Sorry to be playing both sides here, but I am in despair.

And let's not forget precious little 3 year old Alexis Pounder who died just a few weeks later due to torture, starvation, and abuse by her two security guard parents in a suburb of Portland. Her autopsy photos are deemed so disturbing by the judge that they've been sealed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels
Back