OR - Kyron Horman, 7 yo Second grader, Portland, 4 June 2010 - Part #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's strange if the father doesn't know yet. I suppose if he's in the wilderness somewhere out of reach of cell phones, and nobody really knows where and how to reach him... but in my experience the scouts know about safety and tend to tell someone where they're going.

Wouldn't it be standard operating procedure for the police to check out the dad and see if he's really camping without his son ASAP? Not saying that I suspect the father of anything but supposing it was him he'd have had plenty of time to hide evidence since Friday. And he might want to know that one of his children is missing.

Isn't it the Stepbrother's father that is on the camping trip and not Kyron's father.

As per post 464

Wouldn't that be the most fabulous outcome ever??? All this time we're worried, and Kyron is off on a boyscout trip?

I wish for that outcome, but I don't think it's going to work out that way, sadly.

If there were animosity about the older son moving back in with his dad, maybe mom (Kyron's step-mom) and the first husband aren't communicating very well and this could have been discussed and agreed upon, but in the stress of life totally confused with a different trip or just forgotten --

If there were animosity about the older son moving back in with his dad, maybe mom (Kyron's step-mom) and the first husband aren't communicating very well and this could have been discussed and agreed upon, but in the stress of life totally confused with a different trip or just forgotten --

Wouldn't that be absolutely wonderful....

I can't help but think that Kyron has to be in or around that school somewhere. I missed the info on his biological mom...where is she?

Was the science fair advertised at all locally? Would people other than parents/family know of the event?

I can't help but think that Kyron has to be in or around that school somewhere. I missed the info on his biological mom...where is she?

The "Fox 12 Oregon" FaceBook page is quite interesting, and it's a public page.

There is a comment posted under one of the updates about a woman who's husband attended Skyline Elem as a child and that
there is a basement and lot's of rooms down there..

link for their FB - I believe it is okay to post this as it's a media site
http://www.facebook.com/fox12oregon?ref=search

This is the schools web site but I cant get on:

www.skylinek8.org/

I just wanted to check if there is any info on the process of notifying parents on absent kids - is it the automatic call system? When do they take roll call? -etc.

And one big question:
Why didn't his step mom walk him to the DOOR of his class? Instead she said he was walking away from her down the hallway towards his class at 8:45am.

I always walk my son to the door- wave to the teacher -etc to show 'here is my son- here I am - have a great day' in order to ensure my son gets to his class and the teacher SEES.

Especially if his step mom was a former teacher and knows about the attendance process, seeing a parent with their child, conversing etc.

This is the schools web site but I cant get on:

www.skylinek8.org/

I just wanted to check if there is any info on the process of notifying parents on absent kids - is it the automatic call system? When do they take roll call? -etc.

And one big question:
Why didn't his step mom walk him to the DOOR of his class? Instead she said he was walking away from her down the hallway towards his class at 8:45am.

I always walk my son to the door- wave to the teacher -etc to show 'here is my son- here I am - have a great day' in order to ensure my son gets to his class and the teacher SEES.

Especially if his step mom was a former teacher and knows about the attendance process, seeing a parent with their child, conversing etc.

Friday I looked at the site and found a PDF of the school handbook, I looked and did not see any formal written procedure for notifying parents of children's absences..

LINK - just checked it and it works (thank goodness for Google Chrome history! )
http://skylineelementary.org/files/Parent Handbook 2008-Final.pdf

i was so very hopeful that Kyron would be found by now! prayers that he will be found safe today.

I'm interested to know a few things. Like how long was the hallway to his classroom and far did he have to walk from the point she said good bye? Were the halls still crammed with people at that time or had they all dispersed to their classrooms? Are the classroom doors in the hallway flush with the walls, or is each door recessed, forming its own alcove? I'm just trying to get a sense of when/how he could have been lured away.

Still praying for Kyron. . .

From what's been posted - She lives several hours away, but is there now.
Wonder what day and time she arrived?

Search continues for missing boy, hundreds of adults and kids to return to Skyline today for interviews with detectives

By Noelle Crombie, The Oregonian

June 06, 2010, 6:58AM

The search for 7-year-old Kyron Horman continues this morning as 300 students and their parents return to Skyline Elementary School to review the details of the day the boy went missing.

Authorities made no progress overnight in the search for Kyron. The massive effort to find the second-grader involves four county sheriff's departments, the Portland Police Bureau and a large number of federal agents with the FBI. But so far, the search hasn't turned up any clues about the child's whereabouts.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/day_three_search_continues_hun.html

This is making me ill.

Were ALL of the staff of the school checked out with background checks, etc? There are so many people who keep a school running-janitors, maintenance, cafeteria on and on. If it was someone Kyron recognized, then he could have plausibly walked away with them. "Hey, can you help me with something?" scenario.

I know someone who was molested by a school janitor during school hours with a scenario just like that. There is a level of trust kids have with someone they recognize from their school. I so hope this little boy wasn't watched for a while and then taken by someone who Kyron "knew".

This is a terrible story. I always felt as though my kids were safe at school. :(

And one big question:

You know, I am usually very quick to judge a parent and what they did or did not do, but in this case, I just can't fault the stepmom for attending a science fair, taking an adorable picture of an obviously happy and proud young man, and waving goodbye in the hall. In a different setting I could think differently, but all accounts give me the impression that she is an involved parent who has absolutely no blame. MOO

Although the school usually opens at 8:35 a.m. and the final bell rings 10 minutes later, the school opened as early as 8 Friday for the science fair, said Matt Shelby, spokesman for Portland Public Schools.

Other students and parents showed up early as well to check out the fair, and Terri and Kyron saw people they knew while looking at the exhibits, Carol Moulton said.

Terri often volunteers at the school, working closely with Kyron's teacher, Kristina Porter. Shelby said that Porter saw Kyron in her classroom with his stepmom before 8:45 a.m. and another instructor reported seeing him in another classroom at some point.

At 8:45 a.m. when the bell rang, Terri walked her stepson down the hall close to his class.

"He told her, 'I'm going back to the classroom, Mom,' and she waves to him and left," Carol Moulton said. "She thought he was safely at school just like he is everyday."

What happened to the boy who went missing is unclear.

Carol Moulton said the kids were supposed to report to their classes and be divided into small groups of a few students each. Each group was supposed to tour the science fair with a chaperone. Afterward, when they returned to their classes for roll call, Kyron wasn't there, she said.

Ok, now it makes sense. Parents and kids could come before school started and tour around to see the exhibits. Then the kids go to their own classrooms and the classes then tour others to see the exhibits in the fair. He was there before school started, but it's not clear if he was on the chaperoned tour with his class. That's where him missing the 10 am roll call comes in; his class took about an hour to tour. I couldn't figure out where that 1 1/4 hours went.

Was the science fair advertised at all locally? Would people other than parents/family know of the event?

There seems to be reference to it on their outside school sign, as well as the talent show. They also have the talent show on their daily calendar on the website.

You know, I am usually very quick to judge a parent and what they did or did not do, but in this case, I just can't fault the stepmom for attending a science fair, taking an adorable picture of an obviously happy and proud young man, and waving goodbye in the hall. In a different setting I could think differently, but all accounts give me the impression that she is an involved parent who has absolutely no blame. MOO

She waved goodbye as he was practically at the door of his classroom. I suppose she could have followed him inside and watched him sit down in his seat, but really now... who would believe that a child would disappear from inside his school?

Looking at stepmother's FB this AM, she is not indicating that there is any reason to be hopeful, just talking about ordering flyers...I think the smiley face icons were just a reflex...

I can't imagine he could have gone camping without her knowing or remembering by now and not if his backpack is there.

This is just too, too strange, not a sign. I wonder if dogs tracked him at all, to the curn or parking lot or anyplace? They should have been able to pick up his scent if the right dogs were used, from what I gather? Or maybe not, when it is a place the person goes to everyday? Does anyone know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500