OR - Militia members occupy federal building in Oregon after protest #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is a Christian cross even permitted to be erected on a federal highway? This is public property. Not only that, this highway is hugged by national forests. Anyone who tears the cross down should be well within their rights to do so. There would be a huge stink if there was a Star of David there or a Crescent and Star or a broom with a black cat on the side of the highway.

Federal highway? That highway belongs to the people. Don't tell us what we can and can't do on it. Once in awhile I imagine how fun it would be to hang a pentagram off a cross at one of those roadside memorials.

I just noticed the upside-down flag on the truck. I get irrationally angry when I see that. They need a damn copy of the Flag Code to keep with their pocket Constitutions.

But loved the "Murderd" by Oregon State Police sign.

What a bunch of morans.

I wrote an email to the Oregonian that said this, 'cos I'm fed up:

Regarding the cross erected to mark the spot where militia member Finicum was shot by police officers….. Could you comment on why a Christian cross would even be permitted on a Federal Highway? Surrounded by national forest, no less?

Typically, overt religious symbols cannot be displayed on public property. There would be outrage if anyone had erected a memorial with a Star of David, Crescent and Star, or besom and black cat as its central feature.

Surely, anyone could rightfully remove a cross erected on a Federal right of way, like the highway between Burns and John Day? This idea that if it’s Christian it’s not only okay, but superior, has no business on public property and is a violation of the civil rights of those of us who don’t subscribe to that credo.

:bowdown:

I wrote an email to the Oregonian that said this, 'cos I'm fed up:

Regarding the cross erected to mark the spot where militia member Finicum was shot by police officers….. Could you comment on why a Christian cross would even be permitted on a Federal Highway? Surrounded by national forest, no less?

Typically, overt religious symbols cannot be displayed on public property. There would be outrage if anyone had erected a memorial with a Star of David, Crescent and Star, or besom and black cat as its central feature.

Surely, anyone could rightfully remove a cross erected on a Federal right of way, like the highway between Burns and John Day? This idea that if it’s Christian it’s not only okay, but superior, has no business on public property and is a violation of the civil rights of those of us who don’t subscribe to that credo.

I am an Oregonian, and I thank you for this.

William Fry told the AP on Thursday that "We were hoping for a more positive outcome."

He said his son is no different than those who believe "our country is heading in the wrong direction."

"He believes it so strongly he is willing to stand up with the hope that these actions might wake the nation up and lead others to get involved to change our country's course," William Fry said.
http://www.wlwt.com/news/father-of-oregon-standoff-holdout-disappointed-his-son-charged/37836464

Federal highway? That highway belongs to the people. Don't tell us what we can and can't do on it. Once in awhile I imagine how fun it would be to hang a pentagram off a cross at one of those roadside memorials.

I just noticed the upside-down flag on the truck. I get irrationally angry when I see that. They need a damn copy of the Flag Code to keep with their pocket Constitutions.

But loved the "Murderd" by Oregon State Police sign.

What a bunch of morans.

Great minds speak alike. I hadn't thought up the pentagram concept....

OPB has produced some very good reporting and journalism around the takeover of the Malheur Refuge. I am not familiar with this author and this is not one of their better offerings, imo. However, the portion I pulled, stood out to me. Also, it is possible I am being overly critical this morning.

Supporters Memorialize LaVoy Finicum, Seek Unifying Message
by Rob Manning OPB | Feb. 6, 2016 6:22 p.m. | Updated: Feb. 6, 2016 10:33 p.m. | Burns, Oregon

http://www.opb.org/news/series/burn...m-roadside-memorial-pacific-patriots-network/

“Other eastern Oregonians were likewise focused on rebuilding the memorial “bigger and better” as Burns resident Joshawa Boerem put it.

“There’s so many more people here today than there was yesterday,” Boerem added.

Boerem was one of several men who hoisted a wooden cross 20 feet up a pine tree, where they nailed it to the trunk with two long nails.

They said it would make for a more lasting memorial.”​

Not content with the damage inflicted at the Refuge, now they are out damaging the trees in the forests. I am so sick of these people.

I'm an Oregonian. Not native but I'm here to stay.

I don't know how tongue in cheek y'all are being currently because I haven't been reading the whole thread.

Several years ago a family of 3 was killed on 126 by an angry drunk displaced Katrina victim. Three crosses were placed by the side of the 126 (I don't know if it's a highway or interstate or whatever). My atheist self was not bothered by the efforts of survivors to honor the deceased.

The humongous billboard declaring Springfield as "A City of God" by the local mega church (Crossfire), however, led me to email the pastor requesting copies of the studies and data from which he'd based his assertion as I, then a resident of Springfield, had taken no such poll to determine who Springfield belonged to.

He never replied.

For the record, the answer is "Matt Groening," while neighboring Eugene is a City of Phil Knight.

I guess my point is I pick my battles? There are plenty from which to choose.

IMO, if our country is headed in the wrong direction, it's because of people like his son.

He seems to be singing a different tune than last I heard.

Way back when a few weeks ago he was saying his son flew into uncontrollable rages, couldn't be reasoned with, that he was opposed to his son going out there but knew it was pointless to try to dissuade him, and the man was crying.

Today he thinks his son is a hero and the lawbreaking is justifiable?

It's a marvel these folks have figured out how to start cars and the mechanics of using utensils and such.....

"He believes it so strongly he is willing to stand up with the hope that these actions might wake the nation up and lead others to get involved to change our country's course," William Fry said.

He's never heard of peaceful protests, petitions, voting, knocking on doors, writing letters to the editor, donating to the causes he supports, volunteering, making phone calls for his favorite candidates, running for office?

I'm an Oregonian. Not native but I'm here to stay.

I don't know how tongue in cheek y'all are being currently because I haven't been reading the whole thread.

Several years ago a family of 3 was killed on 126 by an angry drunk displaced Katrina victim. Three crosses were placed by the side of the 126 (I don't know if it's a highway or interstate or whatever). My atheist self was not bothered by the efforts of survivors to honor the deceased.

The humongous billboard declaring Springfield as "A City of God" by the local mega church (Crossfire), however, led me to email the pastor requesting copies of the studies and data from which he'd based his assertion as I, then a resident of Springfield, had taken no such poll to determine who Springfield belonged to.

He never replied.

For the record, the answer is "Matt Groening," while neighboring Eugene is a City of Phil Knight.

I guess my point is I pick my battles? There are plenty from which to choose.

It's possible to pick more than one battle, even if you know it's a losing battle. I lived in WV in 2008 and wrote letters to every single newspaper talking about Obama and gun control. That was a battle I wasn't going to win but I needed to do something. At the same time I was fighting other social and political battles. (And raising a kid which involved a whole lot of choosing my battles. ;) ) But. You don't necessarily have to make a choice. JMO

OT: I know the Simpsons live in Springfield but I will always claim Groening as a Portlander. :)

OT/OT: Prefontaine and Bowerman should own Eugene.

He seems to be singing a different tune than last I heard.

Way back when a few weeks ago he was saying his son flew into uncontrollable rages, couldn't be reasoned with, that he was opposed to his son going out there but knew it was pointless to try to dissuade him, and the man was crying.

Today he thinks his son is a hero and the lawbreaking is justifiable?

It's a marvel these folks have figured out how to start cars and the mechanics of using utensils and such.....

Maybe he's a case of the absencemakestheheartgrowfonder syndrome.

Another point of view and a history lesson of sorts:

Burns Paiutes to Ammon Bundy: You're not the victim
By Kelly House | The Oregonian/OregonLive
on February 07, 2016 at 7:00 AM, updated February 07, 2016 at 8:51 AM

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-st...aiutes_to_ammon_bundy_y.html#incart_big-photo

“BURNS— Members of the Burns Paiute Tribe found it comical and frustrating when Ammon Bundy and his followers seized the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in the name of ranchers they claimed had lost the land unfairly to the federal government.

The Paiutes, too, had complaints about their treatment by federal land managers. The government seized 1.5 million acres of their people's ancestral homeland in 1879, and members waited nine decades to receive compensation checks for $743.20 each.

One person bought a washer-dryer set. Another bought college textbooks and sent in a tuition check. Some paid down bills, bought groceries and banked what was left.

When Bundy's group took over Malheur's headquarters, the gesture galvanized ranchers across the west and inspired an impassioned, sympathetic House floor speech from an Oregon congressman. Paiute tribal member Fred Townsend had been calling federal officials for years to say his people were shortchanged and he could barely get anyone to answer the phone.

Bundy said he wanted the Malheur refuge distributed to ranchers. The Burns Paiutes had roamed its fertile wetlands for millennia before the first cattle arrived there.”​

Much more...

I am an Oregonian at heart...
I've been to Oregon several times in my life and I have friends and family living there, and I faithfully watch Grimm. Does that count??

The Nobility of Good Lawyers With Bad Clients
The armed standoff in Burns, Oregon, is a perfect case study for why all defendants need excellent representation—and why the current criminal-justice state is no panacea.

The Atlantic
Garrett Epps
Sunday February 7, 2016 / 7:00 AM ET

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...lity-of-good-lawyers-with-bad-clients/459645/

“In the early hours of the morning, law professors wonder whether anything we do makes the world a better place.

Today, I feel pretty sure that the answer is yes. That’s because, on January 28, I awoke to a televised image of Ammon Bundy’s lawyer, Mike Arnold of Eugene, Oregon, reading a statement urging the other Malheur protesters to stand down. Arnold is a former student of mine. So is Tiffany Harris of Portland, who represents Shawna Cox, the 59-year-old woman who was arrested in the car with LaVoy Finicum, the militant spokesman who was shot during a traffic stop near the occupied Malheur National Wildlife Refuge.

I couldn’t be prouder.

That’s not because I like their clients. I taught Mike and Tiffany during 16 happy years at the University of Oregon School of Law. ...”

“... A recent report on Oregon Public Broadcasting raised questions about the firm's contacts with Bundy before his arrest. Arnold told me that lawyers from his firm contacted private ethics counsel about whether they could approach the occupiers “and help them defuse the situation.” After that, they sent a letter and held a brief meeting. “We did advise them that they should talk to a lawyer,” he added. In a statement, the firm said, “There is a right to counsel, and attorneys are encouraged to make themselves available and even to represent the most unpopular of causes.””​

This strikes me as a very condescending article. I would think that most people who read The Atlantic understand the general principles involved in defending a client in a court of law.

But, am I to believe that ambulance chasing is now `diffusing the situation’?

Waste of time article, bunch of malarkey, imo.

Another video from Fry posted today. New duds & clean shaven...must be rummaging inside the buildings.

[video=youtube;umFbRVbX5rM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umFbRVbX5rM&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Well, he just posted another. New jacket.

[video=youtube;CNIG7gJdTPY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNIG7gJdTPY[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member