GUILTY OR - Murders of Ashley Pond, 12, & Miranda Gaddis, 13, Oregon City, 2002

The price of defending convicted murderer Ward Weaver ranks among Oregon's most costly capital cases in the past decade. So far, the state has spent nearly $500,000 on Weaver's defense, according to the Office of Public Defense Services.

The agency, responding to a request by The Oregonian, released expenses for 254 closed aggravated murder cases filed since 1993. Weaver's case ranks as the fifth-highest in terms of defense costs, though the price tag on the case may rise because his lawyers have not submitted their final bills.

Of the 10 most expensive aggravated murder cases, Weaver's is the only one that did not go to trial, according to the figures released by the state.

However, those figures are current only through March 2004, and do not include the case of Edward Morris, who earlier this month pleaded guilty to murdering his wife and three children in the Tillamook State Forest. In agreeing to the plea bargain, Morris avoided the possibility of the death penalty.

That same week, Weaver pleaded guilty to murdering Ashley Pond, 12, and Miranda Gaddis, 13, in 2002. The plea deal spared him a possible death sentence.

The most expensive defense in an aggravated murder case came with unusually complex legal issues that ultimately were argued before the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. The second most expensive case includes the cost of two trials.

The state has spent the most defending Conan Wayne Hale, who was convicted in 1998 of killing three teenagers and was sentenced to death. His legal bill: $902,170.

Hale's case gained national attention when jailers secretly tape-recorded his conversation with a Roman Catholic priest, an issue that was argued before the federal appellate court. Attorney fees alone amounted to $475,174, according to the defense services office.

Cesar Barone's case ranks second in defense costs. The expenses -- which amount to $551,061 -- were for two aggravated murder trials. Barone was sentenced to death in both trials.

By contrast, the cheapest case in which a defendant was convicted and sentenced to death by a jury was that of Jesse Compton, a Springfield man convicted in 1997 of torture-killing a 3-year-old girl. The state spent $48,680 on Compton's defense.

So far, defending Weaver has cost $282,703 in attorney fees and $200,254 in other expenses. The agency declined to release itemized bills for those expenses, saying only the total amount may be released under state law.

Peter Ozanne, executive director of the Office of Public Defense Services, said the cost of defending Weaver is not surprising since the case appeared headed to trial, and trial preparation is labor-intensive.

He said death penalty cases are high-stakes cases that require an enormous amount of work.

"A good, competent defense attorney has to leave no stone unturned," Ozanne said.

In Weaver's case, the state spent about $50,000 on attorney bills submitted by his first defense lawyers, Tim Lyons and Joe Watson. They were paid an hourly rate of $55, state officials said.

Lyons and Watson asked to be removed from the case eight months after they were appointed and were replaced by Corvallis-based defense attorneys Michael Barker and Peter Fahy.

Barker and Fahy are under contracts with the Office of Public Defense Services, officials said. Fahy is paid $82 an hour, and Barker is paid $86 an hour. So far, the pair have been paid a total of $233,230.

It is much more difficult to determine how much the state spent prosecuting Weaver.

Several police agencies investigated the case. The salaries of the two Clackamas County prosecutors assigned to the case already were built into the district attorney's budget. Alfred French, the senior deputy district attorney and lead prosecutor on the case, is paid an annual salary of $100,919, according to Clackamas County officials. His partner on the case, Deputy District Attorney Christine Landers, is paid an annual salary of $90,865.

Chief Deputy District Attorney Greg Horner pointed out that French and Landers handled the Weaver case as part of their regular caseload.

The district attorney's office spent $4,500 for expenses related to the Weaver investigation, Horner said. He said the office also budgeted an additional $50,000 in trial expenses for the year, but that includes expenses related to four aggravated murder cases, including Weaver's.

District Attorney John Foote said that while Weaver's lawyers "did their job as they were supposed to," he was critical of the costs related to the defense.

"I think any reasonable person would say that we need to do something about these escalating costs," he said. "I am not sure what that should be at this point, but I think something has to be done to rein them in."

Clatsop County District Attorney Joshua Marquis said that although the state spent a lot on Weaver's legal bills, that's expected in a death penalty case.

"I am not saying that's a bad thing," he said. "If you are going to seek to put someone to death, you have to provide adequate counsel, and that is expensive. But it's important for people to understand when someone is charged with aggravated murder, the state of Oregon spends a boatload of money to make sure they have adequate counsel, if not the best."

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/1096632345128131.xml

The father of 13-year-old murder victim Miranda Gaddis was fatally shot in the face Thursday. There was no apparent link between the two cases.

Jason Richard Gaddis Sr., 37, died in the street in the 12900 block of Southeast 26th Avenue shortly before noon.

He had been staying with his girlfriend in a nearby garage. Clackamas County sheriff's deputies responded to the incident and found Gaddis dead from a shot to the head.

http://www.oregonlive.com/metrosout.../metro_south_news/1119607493304840.xml&coll=7

I read a lot of it but not all. The only other thing that would have helped is if Moses came down and wrote all the clues on a stone tablet. Raised it above his head and said "Go and get Ward Weaver".

They had dogs in the yard...didn't they take them to that shed to check the inside of it? I guess they didn't or they would have found the one girl. Just because it wasn't a police dog that showed an interest around the cement then that dog was discounted. I wonder why one dog showed an interest and two others didn't when in reality the 2nd girl was buried under the cement.

Glad they didn't fall for the old mentally ill and unable to stand trial farce. This guy should have gotten the death penalty....no doubt about it. But of course he got a plea bargain when he agreed to say he was guilty and got life w/out parole instead. Ticks me off. The state will go above and beyond to avoid a trial. The guy murdered the two girls....they were found on his property. You can bet he strangled them just like he tried to do to his son's girlfriend. He had also raped another woman. Sounds to me like they had enough evidence that they didn't need to give him a plea bargain.

This guy is pure evil.

sorry if this is the wrong place to post this
The Oregon City missing girls case is featured on the Oxygen TV network this week.The disappearances of Ashley Pond and Miranda Gaddis are documented on the program Caputured which airs Sunday at 4:30 pm and 10:30 pm, and repeated on Thursday at 10:30 pm.
http://www.portlandtribune.com/news/story.php?story_id=119299871467284900

This was the case that got me into true crime. I grew up in a neighborhood of Portland not too far from Oregon City. I was 16 years old and my friend lived in a complex connected to their complex. Ashley had gone missing and we were all hanging out at our friend's house. They all wanted me to walk to a parking lot to get something out of the car. The parking lot wasn't lit up and I was completely hesitant on going down there and refused. Their response was: "I'm sure the guy isn't dumb enough to get another girl." The next morning we left and were questioned by the FBI while coming out of the complex. Pretty soon after Miranda went missing. My friend and I watched the summer time coverage as they searched his home and found the two girls. I will never forget that moment. I think of the girls often. I think of how different their lives would be.

Anyway, People Investigates did a show on them last night. I'm trying to find it now.

May they rest in peace. <3

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back