GUILTY OR - Steven Derlacki for child *advertiser censored*, Roseburg, 2010

http://www.kmtr.com/news/local/stor...sponds-to/rj1N5FAUDkmTr4EC8_CoOA.cspx?rss=191

UPDATE: Roseburg Public Schools responds to teacher arrested for child *advertiser censored* possession

"Roseburg Public Schools has released a statement after one of its elementary school teachers was arrested, accused of possessing child *advertiser censored* on his personal computer....."

more at link

Concerning Kyron, Roseburg in a good 3-3.5 hours from where Kyron's school is located. Derlacki would have been teaching his class that day, unless he was absent. I doubt that there's any way we could learn of his attendance. Now, if he traveled north in order to view the Science Fair, I'd be sick.

I have no doubt that LE will check this out but I still think, JMO, that Kyron's disappearance will be shown to not involve an "outsider". The only fact that does worry me, though, is that Kyron's family often stayed in Eugene to meet up. Derlacki has family throughout that area. They are in well-respected positions and can be found easily through a google search. It's a unique name.

I'm really more concerned about young children in Roseburg and the hundreds of other children he's had access to through his work at the Boys and Girls Club and through his student teaching. At one point he discusses his kinders so he's been responsible for teaching and caring for little ones as young as 5. Even his high school graduation awards tell me that it's likely he was already helping in classrooms.

http://www.kmtr.com/news/local/stor...sponds-to/rj1N5FAUDkmTr4EC8_CoOA.cspx?rss=191

UPDATE: Roseburg Public Schools responds to teacher arrested for child *advertiser censored* possession

"Roseburg Public Schools has released a statement after one of its elementary school teachers was arrested, accused of possessing child *advertiser censored* on his personal computer....."

more at link

Concerning Kyron, Roseburg in a good 3-3.5 hours from where Kyron's school is located. Derlacki would have been teaching his class that day, unless he was absent. I doubt that there's any way we could learn of his attendance. Now, if he traveled north in order to view the Science Fair, I'd be sick.

I have no doubt that LE will check this out but I still think, JMO, that Kyron's disappearance will be shown to not involve an "outsider". The only fact that does worry me, though, is that Kyron's family often stayed in Eugene to meet up. Derlacki has family throughout that area. They are in well-respected positions and can be found easily through a google search. It's a unique name.

I'm really more concerned about young children in Roseburg and the hundreds of other children he's had access to through his work at the Boys and Girls Club and through his student teaching. At one point he discusses his kinders so he's been responsible for teaching and caring for little ones as young as 5. Even his high school graduation awards tell me that it's likely he was already helping in classrooms.

Missizzy, this is from your link above.

has been arrested on multiple counts of Encouraging the Sexual Abuse of a Child.

I've never heard of that charge before ???

http://www.oregon.gov/OSL/LD/resources/laws/statutes/other/if_163.shtml

Oregon Library Laws - Revised Statutes - Other Statutes: Intellectual Freedom

Oregon Revised Statutes
Chapter 163 - Offenses Against Persons

163.684 Encouraging child sexual abuse in the first degree.

(1) A person commits the crime of encouraging child sexual abuse in the first degree if the person:
(a)
(A) Knowingly develops, duplicates, publishes, prints, disseminates, exchanges, displays, finances, attempts to finance or sells any photograph, motion picture, videotape or other visual recording of sexually explicit conduct involving a child or possesses such matter with the intent to develop, duplicate, publish, print, disseminate, exchange, display or sell it; or

(B) Knowingly brings into this state, or causes to be brought or sent into this state, for sale or distribution, any photograph, motion picture, videotape or other visual recording of sexually explicit conduct involving a child; and
(b) Knows or is aware of and consciously disregards the fact that creation of the visual recording of sexually explicit conduct involved child abuse.
(2) Encouraging child sexual abuse in the first degree is a Class B felony.

(Note: this is for 1st Degree, there's more at link)

Yes, I'm aware of that, it just seems odd that the word "Juicy Fruit" seems to be quite central to this blog. Might be nothing at all. However the Juicy Fruit guy contacted Derlacki and provided a link to his blog.

Derlacki's blog seems to be strictly about a young student teacher and his daily experiences. I just found it strange that a man from 3000 miles away would contact him and invite him to his blog. The blogger tells Derlacki that he's looked over his blog and found it "inquisitive" and then says "you might enjoy my blog". I see nothing in the Juicy Fruit blog about teaching.

"juicy fruit": code for child *advertiser censored*??

K2K--I tried it earlier and just again and it won't open for me. Is it working for any one else?

Are you a friend or relative of Steve Derlacki's? If so, I welcome you but you need to check with Trisha before you post on this thread. She likes to make sure that friends and family are who they say they are. If you'd care to join us to discuss this case, I would be most interested in your observations. Mr. Derlacki's case is a frightening one.

And Joe--That was my first thought but I did a bunch of sleuthing and cannot find that reference. The Urban Dictionary is my favorite and it didn't list it as a meaning. Sounds likely to me, though. At the link below, it's described as an Australian slang for sex:

http://dictionary.babylon.com/juicy_fruit/

You know what bothers me about those bulletin board posts? As far as I can tell, he made 12 and they were all made in the summer of 2007. Wouldn't that have been when he was first hired in Roseburg? I hope he didn't have access to school computers over that summer.

K2K--I tried it earlier and just again and it won't open for me. Is it working for any one else?

Are you a friend or relative of Steve Derlacki's? If so, I welcome you but you need to check with Trisha before you post on this thread. She likes to make sure that friends and family are who they say they are. If you'd care to join us to discuss this case, I would be most interested in your observations. Mr. Derlacki's case is a frightening one.

And Joe--That was my first thought but I did a bunch of sleuthing and cannot find that reference. The Urban Dictionary is my favorite and it didn't list it as a meaning. Sounds likely to me, though. At the link below, it's described as an Australian slang for sex:

http://dictionary.babylon.com/juicy_fruit/
I'm not a family Member or friend of Mr. Derlacki. I simply Had children in his class, and new him through my child's school and through an Ex who was supposed to teach 4th grade with Mr.Derlacki. I am in no way a relative. I just know a lot about this man.

According to a spokesperson for the Roseburg school district, Derlacki was hired in August 2006. That would mean that he already had many people's trust by the following summer. I know that, here in our district, many teachers can access their classrooms during the summer. If any children are receiving Extended School Year services, children can also be present. If Fullerton provided a summer Free Lunch program, children would have been present also. Not good.

K2K--Can I ask what your reaction was to the arrest. Are you surprised? I'm sure you must be very concerned about your young children. I'm so sorry. Welcome.

According to the address given in the article about Derlacki's address, he lives/lived approximately 2.5 miles from the school where he taught. I don't see Fullerton IV listed as a Free Lunch Program site for Summer 2010. I can't find anything about prior years. Maybe K2K could address this.

The sites listed for this year include the YMCA, the Boys and Girls Club, and a number of other area schools. But not Fullerton IV.

When Mr. Derlacki was arrested, I think the initial reaction was shock. It's still shock. He was always very devoted to his students. He stood out on the curb in front of the school and made sure each child made it to their parents vehicle safely. He was always volunteering to participate in extra school activities with the children and parents. He was probably the most devoted and genuine to the care and welfare of the children he taught. This happening just brings shock and awe. He never displayed any signs of being a sex offender. he always just showed that he genuinely loved and cared for all of his students. There was never any reason to think other wise. I am still having a hard time processing this, because it just seems so out of character from the teacher I knew.
This has really shook up our little community. No one Knows what to think. This was a guy who was pretty well respected and loved in our community. It just doesn't seem possible.

K2K--Please accept my sympathy. I'm a mom of 13 and I know how precious trusted teachers are. We live down in Ashland so I know all about small Oregon communities. I hate to say it but it sounds as if Mr. Derlacki did indeed download the nasty stuff.

My guess is that all of you who have children at the school will be talked to and offered some sort of support. This is really so so sad.

We discuss hundreds of pedophiles and child *advertiser censored* collectors on WS and one thing that can be said about 99% of them is that they are always the nice guys, the ones who volunteer to help, the ones who seem to genuinely care about the children. That's why it feels like such a slap in the face, a real betrayal. There's a lot of great info on the net about people with these criminal habits. I suggest you learn as much as you can.

It's hard to have the innocence stolen from a community. I know.

Thank you. An unfortunate name for a teacher, indeed.

I'm just wondering, have you been contacted by the school district as to a community meeting concerning this arrest?

Thank you. An unfortunate name for a teacher, indeed.

I'm just wondering, have you been contacted by the school district as to a community meeting concerning this arrest?

Ive heard that there is a letter being sent out. That is all I know.

I don't know how old your children are but if I were you, I wouldn't directly question them. I know you are new to posting on WS so I don't know if you know my story. Our eight youngest children were raped by a teacher's son 12 years ago. He was convicted and served 10 years. The reason I bring up the questioning is that the police do not want children's testimony to be tainted by parents or others who are trying to help. It was a huge issue at our trial and I took a lot of heat just by listening to my children and writing down what they said. I'm a child advocate and had had some training in listening to disclosures so I knew not to ask leading questions, etc. but I still was highly scrutinized. Our case held up in court (12 convictions), on appeal, at the Supreme Court level, at the Post Conviction Relief, and through a denial of clemency by the governor. This is what brought me to WS.

My suggestion is to tell the children, in an age appropriate way, that Mr. Derlacki is being questioned about some mistakes he might have made. And then listen. Try not to disagree or minimize or rationalize anything. Try not to let them hear you speaking about the case. Just listen. If anything at all of concern comes up, please call LE immediately.

My thoughts are with you and your community.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clueliz
Back