OR - Sunshine Bucy's child sex abuse trial brings trauma to the courtroom

I'm disgusted. While I understand that diagrams or photographs are needed during trials, I really cannot see the need to bring a bed in, other than as a cheap theatrical move designed to intimidate the witness. Ten is old enough to have the words to describe the scene for the jury - or, if there were truly issues with what she was alleging, pantomiming in the box or drawing on a piece of paper for the jury should have sufficed.

Furthermore, if there are credibility issues with the girl and her mother (not that I think there are), there are far more effective ways to impeach and draw their assertions into question than to just smear their character. This defense attorney is why defense attorneys get a bad rap. Disgusting.

I read the June Sneak Preview (local paper) story on this case and was literally upset for weeks. I'm still not over it. No further comment. I finally found it on line. Everyone can see what they think of this sort of journalism:

http://roguerambler.com/live/curts-blog/83-sunshine-bucy-story

Jury Doesn't Fall for D.A.'s Claim of Sexual Molesting

To be fair, it's not journalism. She's a blogger (gasp!). But her headline appears to do what she complains the media did in this case, to Bucy. It's spin. Saying the jury didn't "fall" for the claim is the same as saying it was a lie.

Nevertheless, the article does raise questions and the writer, though troubled about the veracity of the mom, the contradictory accounts from other witnesses, etc., says she does not discount that the child could be telling the truth.

One thing, however, from her article: She states the little girl was running around, trying to get attention from everyone, and was annoying. But, she performed some songs, after which Bucy put his arms around her shoulders and made a statement about wanting to marry her in 10 years.

Then, she asked for a tour of the house. Bucy gave the tour of the entire first floor "with a wave of his hand". He then gave her a tour of the second floor and spent fifteen minutes in his bedroom with her.

Now, witnesses state there were two other children in the bedroom (playing a video game) and Bucy's girlfriend walking in and out, but why would he spend so much time, during a party, in a bedroom with kids, when all the adults are downstairs drinking? His girlfriend says she walked in and he was playing aboard game with her. Huh? You give a tour of the first floor, where everyone is, with a wave of your hand but then need to spend 15 minutes touring the bedroom? Fishy, to me, if true.

The moral of this story, whether or not the allegations are true, is that men should not allow themselves to be alone with young girls they don't know and parents should not allow their kids to go alone with strange men, even if it's on a "tour" of their house. Just go with them!

ETA: I think the writer is a he, not a she!

Yes, you are correct, Gitana. Curtis Hayden is a male and he has never shied away from controversy. He makes some valid points but I feel he goes WAY over the line this time. I find it interesting that neither of our local papers would ever print these details and yet he did, as he owns his own newspaper. I would have curled up in a ball and died if he would have written about our case. I have to say that that's expressly why I haven't written him to complain. I do not want him to turn his attention to the veracity of our children's convictions and to begin his speculation.

Our town is relatively small--20,000--and the theatre community is a close one. Theatre is what Ashland is all about. There's not a soul who doesn't know this child now. There's no privacy or confidentiality for her. She's either in or getting ready to enter middle school and I know how pre-teens can be. It wouldn't shock me in the least to have a group of kids tease her about the bed. That could have tragic ramifications.

I'm just not so certain that if I was this child's mother, I would allow this to take place a second time. There's been so much damage done. Mr. Hayden, with all due respect, can simply NOT know what went on in that bedroom. Only two people do. And also, Mr. Hayden is no psychologist. He really has no business pronouncing the mother mentally ill. I also take issue with his comments about the Ashland Police Dept. I happen to think that they do an incredible job of investigating child sexual abuse. Hull and Alderman are two of our best.

It bothers me to no end that Bucy sees fit to show his two children on his lap on his FB page. I'm just not comfortable with the whole incident.

Well, well, well......

So, just what do Bucy's supporters have to say now? What does the "Sneak Preview" have to say about their smear campaign against the victim and her mother? What does Mr. Carini, the defense attorney in the first trial, have to say about traumatizing a little girl in the courtroom? Huh?

This child did what she was taught...she told. And she paid a high price for that truth. Shame on those who attacked her. May she find solace and support in her pathway towards healing from this debacle.

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120128/NEWS/201280311

Ashland man jailed after sex abuse plea
January 28, 2012

"An Ashland community theater actor must register as a sex offender after he pleaded guilty to inappropriately touching a 10-year-old girl at a party in July 2010. Sunshine Sweetwater Bucy, 39, pleaded guilty on Jan. 13 to attempted first-degree sexual abuse and was given 90 days in jail. Bucy also was placed on three years probation. He is allowed to have contact with his own children and may be in the presence of minors if an adult is present.

In a letter written to the girl's mother prior to his sentencing, Bucy apologized for his actions, but claimed that he had no memory of touching the girl. Jackson County Deputy District Attorney David Orr said Bucy claimed he was so intoxicated that night he could not remember what he'd done. "I do not recall touching your daughter, but I know I was extremely intoxicated..."

and

Bucy entered an "Alford plea," which acts as a guilty plea but does not require him to admit to the crime. He can assert his innocence while acknowledging that evidence exists to convict him. "Maybe he is saving face," Orr said...."

and

"....Bucy was arrested and charged with first-degree sexual abuse after a party at his Faith Street apartment on July 31, 2010. A 10-year-old girl who attended the party said Bucy kissed her on the lips, nuzzled her neck, touched her upper thigh and tried to unzip her sweatshirt.

and

"...Orr said the girl's testimony remained consistent throughout the ordeal. "She gave the same statement to the grand jury, at the trial and each time she spoke to me," Orr said. "Her story never changed."

The trial sparked outrage from victims' advocate groups who objected to the strategy of Bucy's defense attorney, Peter Carini, who brought the bed into the courtroom and questioned the girl as she stood next to it...."

and

"...Orr said the girl and her family moved out of the area following the trial. He said the girl has received counseling and is attempting to move on with her life. "She is a bright girl who knew that what (Bucy) did was not right," Orr said. "She knew something had to be done."

More at link

Justice? And if so, at what cost?

I hope this child has been able to move forward and is receiving whatever help is needed to get her to that point. What a long nightmare for her this must have been.

I still want the original judge's head on a platter. I don't even blame the disgusting defense attorney, because the judge let him get away with it. The judge had the power to put a stop to it and didn't. He should be kicked off the bench. To re-traumatize a child in a court of law is beyond despicable. To have a judge allow it is irreparable.

Belinda--Trust me, you are not the only one!! You are so right. Defense attorneys have the right to try any tactics but the courtroom is fully under the judge's control. He should have NEVER allowed that nasty ploy.

I'm going to be in a minority of one here - I DO blame the defense attorney. The judge is limited by law in what he can disallow the defense, (or the prosecution), from presenting. The defense attorney was cheap and nasty, but that doesn't mean the judge had any legal grounds on which to exclude it, even though he was probably sitting there biting his lip with anger.

The article linked to on the last page presents a very plausible sounding defense against this accusation without stooping to the level of bullying the girl, so why couldn't the defense attorney do the same? Not making any judgements either way on guilt or innocence, but if a mere journalist can pick such holes in the prosecution's case without the aid of a bed or a re-enactment, why couldn't the defense just do that too instead of stooping to the level of bullying a ten yr old witness?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustFab
Back