OR - Two killed, 1 injured in Clackamas mall shooting, 11 Dec 2012

Thanks so much, flourish! Just wanted to be sure she was safe! I honestly don't know why I thought she may be from that county. Maybe something I thought from the Kyron thread!

*I just get so angry when something so senseless as this happens.

Probably because my brother used to live in Portland and I used to go up that way often. I rarely make it up there anymore.

:seeya: I'm fine! I live closer to Eugene Oregon, which is about 2 hours south (via car) of the shooting.

My prayers go up to the victims, their families and friends. :praying:

Thank goodness, Kimster! Happy to 'see' you this evening!

This is my town! Well, hometown now. I just moved to Oklahoma in August. If I hadn't, you could catch me at clackamas 5 days out of the week. It was my favorite hangout back home.
I've called my family and they are all ok, but I am biting my nails waiting to hear if everyone I know is unharmed.

So glad I am home for Christmas break in 3 days!

Presser III: Lt. James Rhodes, Clackamas County Sheriff's Department:

Nearly finished searching entire mall.

Victim numbers still the same.

Shooter dead of apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Law enforcement fired no rounds.

- Sgt. Adam Phillips, PIO, Clackamas County Sheriff's Department:

Of the two deceased besides gunman: their "family members are being contacted currently."

Random act? No info "appropriate to release right now."

No information to be given right now about investigation.

"I don't know" if there were any minor injuries.

Gunman "an adult male."

"I do not know" if shooter has been identified.

Next presser at 8 p.m. PST.

According to the presser....there are still many people in the mall. they have to be processed/interviewed. If you are concerned about a family member in the mall, LE is in the process, currently, of notifying the victims' families. If you aren't contacted soon, then that means your family member is fine.

Wow, that sure would be stressful for family members just waiting to find out!

Still looking for witness statements. Asking people to contact LE.

I avoid the mall at all costs these days, especially around the holidays but when my kids were little we were there everyday. My ex-husband worked there for years. Too close to home, especially with having kids that hang out at the mall but weren't there at the time.
After the Aurora tragedy I've been afraid these things would happen more often. It's getting to where there is no safe place anymore.

I was just on the phone with my friend. She said her boyfriend, Zak, was there. He saw the guy putting a mask on and Zak froze in his steps to watch the guy cause he felt immediately something was wrong. Then he saw the guy pull out a gun, and Zak instinctively ran for the door and he was so afraid all he could muster up to shout was, "Gun, gun, gun".

Zak had one foot out the emergency exit when he heard the first gunshot. He got out of there as fast as he could and went home.

I told my friend the police needed to take Zak's witness statement, so they are going to call the police department now.

My ex husband used to work there and he goes to the CTC just about every day and had just left when this happened. My daughter used to work there, too, and had plans to go shopping there today but had a tooth ache and needed to go to the dentist instead, thank God.

Presser IV: Clackamas County Sheriff's Department: Sheriff Roberts:

Investigative phase. Mall closed tomorrow.

"These things aren't supposed to happen."

One "young lady at hospital fighting for her life right now."

"At least one weapon was recovered."

1.4 million square feet of property; about 10,000 at mall today.

- Sgt. Phillips, PIO:

All local LE agencies plus ATF, FBI assisting.

Shooter tentatively identified; name won't be released till confirmed.

Deceased were in "open area" of mall.

No info on type of weapon, number of shots fired.

Questions:

Some speculation shooter was recently fired from food court: "Don't rely on speculative reports coming out."

Vehicle? "I don't at this time" have information." Nor on if shots were fired outside mall.

"We do not know if there were accomplices or not."

"A likelihood" searches at other locations will occur.

Next presser tomorrow; no time given.

With as many people as we have that love to do copycat crimes, even though I live many, many miles away in a different state, my son has a field trip to the mall to see Santa in 2 days, and I'm not sure I should let him go. He's five, and doesn't know enough to get down and shut up in case of something like this.

In addition to the two people who were killed, investigators said one other person suffered traumatic injuries.

According to representatives at Oregon Health & Science University, that victim is expected to survive. She is around the age of a teenager, according to a hospital representative.

http://www.kptv.com/story/20320068/clackamas-town-center-shooting

This makes me so sad that a kid was hurt in all of this. At this time of day I know several kids from a high school nearby who often go straight to the mall. In fact, my daughter usually takes MAX out there to meet up with her boyfriend and go to the mall on Tuesdays. Thankfully, she had too much homework today. She said he was just leaving school to head over there when the school went into lockdown. I hate to think of kids being traumatized by something like this for the rest of their lives.

I didn't hear about the mall shootings until DH's alarm went off at 6:00 this morning. Thoughts and prayers for the families that have been impacted by this horrible crime.

This really is beginning to sound like the victims may have been targeted to me. TG he didn't shoot more but he could have. He shot 3 and then himself

Doesn't sound that the victims were targeted to me at all.
Sounds completely random.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back