Oscar Pistorius - Discussion Thread #67 *Appeal Verdict*

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I guess that the next 4 months will be all about OP not shooting dogs in front of their owners, trying not to gun down women who irritate him, and perhaps being seen to help old ladies across the road (rather than running them over or shooting them dead) and maybe a few more pics of smiling kiddies on knees to show how great he is with children.

Yes, just trying not to act like the sociopath that he is.

I would like Nel to explain why he didn't oppose bail if only to understand why a convicted murderer has now been given over 4 months to roam the streets and be among the public.

Without knowing the legal details - its possible the compromise is somewhat forced upon Nel.

The SC overturned the original sentence but didn't make any other order.

The SC really should have ordered his immediate arrest

My guess is they know that Roux will be appealing on the grounds that Pistorius was denied the right to a fair trial and are playing along so they don't give him any ammunition to further his argument. They are playing the long game now and they can well afford to too IMO. The SCA judgement was strong and the will be asking for the longest possible sentence when the time comes. That will be their main consideration and they won't be too anxious about what happens in the meantime. Nel even mentioned today that they don't see Pistorius has any chance of successfully appealing to the CC but acknowledged he still has the right.

It's disappointing to see the smug murderer smirking and not be incarcerated like the common murderer he is but none of this should detract from the fact he is going back to prison and the NPA's job is to ensure that they do everything to ensure that is for as long as possible. If the conditions were too stringent Roux would argue that the time spent on bail amounted to a punishment and should be deducted from whatever prison time he is sentenced to. This chimes with what the presiding judge said when he was minded no to confine him to the house as it seemed like a "punishment".

Chillax folks. It simply means he will do more prison time eventually and every day that passes Oscar is a step closer to his rightful place.

Off topic: I do believe having watched his conduct this morning that, irrespective of the findings of Weskoppies, he is an out and out sociopath! There is definitely something of the night about that young man.

Hi Paul

I tend to agree.

Given the SC voided the sentence the State can simply wait for the sentencing hearing. And this time won't count

Begining to wonder about Nel myself to be truthful! Not useless or overrated at all but disappointed he seemed confused and to lack authority and confidence when I expected more from him today.

I was going to say, "I expected him to come out with all guns blazing", but seems inappropriate in light of OP doing exactly that and murdering Reeva Steenkamp.

Guys!

Nel just won a landmark decision in the Supreme Court!

The most famous criminal case ever to come to appeal to the SC by the prosecution (rather than the accused).

This was a bail hearing. Why would he come out all guns blazing when they basically already did the deal in advance?

I am actually amazed Nel appeared in this proceeding

...i am seriously beginning to think that Pistorius has served his time in prison and that he won't be going back and that the whole case is being decided beforehand.....in other words my cynical side is getting the better of me, things don't look right.....

"Justice delayed is justice denied."

The prosecution cannot lock people up with out the order of the Court

Unfortunately the sentencing cannot take place quickly because we are at the end of the year.

Remember OP was also on Bail awaiting sentencing even after he was found guilty of CH

The prosecution cannot lock people up with out the order of the Court

Unfortunately the sentencing cannot take place quickly because we are at the end of the year.

Remember OP was also on Bail awaiting sentencing even after he was found guilty of CH

....he's supposedly been found guilty of murder....there is no justification why he should be sat at home with his feet up in front of the tely having difficulty deciding which bottle of champagne to open .....

I would like Nel to explain why he didn't oppose bail if only to understand why a convicted murderer has now been given over 4 months to roam the streets and be among the public. I would like to know why that is right. Has OP suddenly become a peaceful humble person? Has his vicious temper been replaced by an inner calm? How exactly has he changed from the manic nutcase who gunned down Reeva in a toilet? Where are the psychiatric reports that prove he's a changed person and is no longer a risk to innocent people?

How many times have I asked that exact same question and to date, not one reply. Someone must know!

I'm not sure which of Soozie's questions you're referring to but I'm assuming it's why didn't Nel oppose bail. This was first raised when he was granted bail after his conviction of CH on 12 September 2014. Sentencing took place on 21 October. IIRC Interested Bystander found someone else in SA who was also granted bail in similar circumstances. Maybe it's not common but it can happen in SA. Fortunately it's a different story here in Oz, and perhaps most other countries.

]The prosecution cannot lock people up with out the order of the Court[/B]

Especially when they don't even ask the court to lock him up.

I don't recall how long it took Masipa to come back with his sentence for CH but I don't remember it being very long. Maybe one month?

Four months for sentencing? Was this done to accommodate Roux or Nel who have to prepare for the sentencing hearing? Even then, four months??

Here's the old article by Cons lawyer, posted after Bail release No.1

http://www.dailymaverick.co.za/opin...t-denied-as-easily-as-you-think/#.Vma0XOOyOko

"the question of whether it would be in the interest of justice to grant bail will focus “primarily on securing the attendance of the accused at trial and on preventing the accused from interfering with the proper investigation and prosecution of the case”."

I note he said wtte in his appln today.

"“The broad policy considerations contemplated by the “interests of justice” test … can legitimately include the risk that the detainee will endanger a particular individual or the public at large. Less obviously, but nonetheless constitutionally acceptably, a risk that the detainee will commit a fairly serious offence can be taken into account. The important proviso throughout is that there has to be a likelihood, i.e. a probability, that such risk will materialise. A possibility or suspicion will not suffice. At the same time, a finding that there is indeed such a likelihood is no more than a factor, to be weighed with all others, in deciding what the interests of justice are.

...The focus at the bail stage is to decide whether the interest of justice permits the release of the accused pending trial. Bail will usually be denied to protect the investigation and prosecution of the case and to protect society against the possible future life-threatening criminal acts of an accused.

The bail provisions contained in section 60 of the Criminal Procedure Act must be interpreted and applied with reference to these human rights based policy considerations.

Section 60 of the Criminal Procedure Act states that a court can normally refuse bail “in the interest of justice” only where there is the likelihood that the accused, if he or she were released on bail, will endanger the safety of the public or any particular person; will evade his or her trial; will attempt to influence or intimidate witnesses or to conceal or destroy evidence; or if, in exceptional circumstances, there is the likelihood that the release of the accused will disturb the public order or undermine the public peace or security”

Shouldn't have been bailed in the first instance, three years ago, based on BIB!

Also note he has stated he needs access to the internet to enable him to study distance learning - he is NOTHING if not canny

more by Pierre deVos, twitter

Kgomotso Mokoena ‏@LoveKgomsa 3h3 hours ago
@Makashule well now they have the scope to do so. But they may decide before hearing it that they won't. It's pretty interesting.
@pierredevos Pierre de Vos Retweeted Makashule Gana
@MelanieWebbSA 3h3 hours ago
Hi Prof, @pierredevos Having seen grounds for his appeal (as set out on bail affidavit) do you still think he's wasting his money?

"Not going to happen. Pistorius is wasting his money." de Vos concluded

[video=twitter;674150095013748736]https://twitter.com/pierredevos/status/674150095013748736[/video]

Respectfully snipped.

There are lots of stories going around about OP being broke, Arnold paying the bill, Roux working for free but no one from the Pistorius family has officially gone on record to say what is the payment structure for these legal fees and they don't need to because it is no ones business. but theirs.

If its no one's business but theirs....WHY are they sharing it with the whole world? Stay mum...say nothing! They want to use it for sympathy purposes, and those at the receiving end have no right to voice their opinions? Thats a bit much!

Still have not been able to watch - issue with my satellite but it sounds as if he was quite cocky judging from all accounts, tweets etc: once again it's as if he is playing games and intentionally trying to wind people up. Oh well, he just confirms the (universally shared) low opinion. Reminds me of am arrogant teenage punk in the dock UK, over here last week , smirking in the dock etc. I know it's only a bail appln. but it's still a serious matter.

"I have never seen #OscarPistorius this relaxed. Slouched in the dock, texting away on his phone, occasionally breaking off to crack a smile"

"is this what privilege looks like coz it sure doesn't look like remorse- its chilling (not the relaxed sort)"

"That's arrogance personified"

Other people said he looked medicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members