Oscar Pistorius - Sentencing - 6.13.2016 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will go for 10 years (although I think he deserves at least 15 years) minus one year already served. The remainder of the sentence being 9 years, of which he spends 4-5 years inside with the rest suspended. I HOPE I AM WRONG :laughing:

Dunno if you've had this link yet over here.

From a link on t'other forum.
There's certainly a lot of rowing back on estimates.

http://www.rdm.co.za/lifestyle/2016/07/05/why-oscar-pistorius-will-sit-in-jail-for-a-long-time
"If she hands down a sentence of between 11 and 14 years she will be spot on in terms of sentencing'"
Curlewis said.

]
“But, unlike his culpable homicide conviction, where correctional supervision was imposed, this sentence is one of direct imprisonment. Pistorius will have to serve half [his term] before he will be eligible for parole.

“He cannot deviate from this, which means he will probably serve at least six years in prison.”

Wits University law professor Stephen Tuson said three factors had to be taken into consideration when it came to sentencing: the offender‘s circumstances, the seriousness of the offence and the interest of society.
He said Masipa had to exact an appropriate level of retribution “without destroying the offender”.[/QUOTE]

My guess.....he does something tonight to delay sentencing.....rushed to hospital. Boom

My guess.....he does something tonight to delay sentencing.....rushed to hospital. Boom

Well if that does happen I do hope sentencing will carry on in his absence, his lawyers can take his instructions later. Otherwise he gets to pull the strings forever. Bail, appeals, higher appeals etc. It's a complete farce already and he's only in this position because he got bail.

I really hope it does start at 9am (8am in the UK) as I could catch half an hour before I leave for work. My colleagues know that I've been on a discussion forum for over 3 years and they know I'm really peed off that I have to work on the most significant day of all! None of them have followed it to my/our extent, so they just think I'm obsessed :D

I will catch up with you all later in the day.

Anyway, I'm really sad I'm going to miss it, but I'll be thinking of all you guys and holding 'virtual' hands while we all pray that sentencing day marks the end of the road for that snivelling spineless murderer. I didn't know there was any lower for him to sink in my estimation of him, until the fake hobbling in court, fake wailing in his interview (that, despite needing hospitalisation, he was well enough to do...) the tasteless manipulation of Reeva's voice to lend support to his choice of punishment (disgusted at that, seriously) and using the interview to blame Reeva a little bit more for her own murder. Yep. What a wonderful role model for the children he pretends he wants to help.

I am hoping he will serve a minimum of 10 years before being eligible for anything. He lived his life believing he was special and above the law, and as a consequence of that, Reeva is dead and her family destroyed. As the whole world has seen, OP is just another common murderer who tried to evade justice for his crime. Nothing special about him at all.

The closer we get to tomorrow the more upset and bitterly disappointed I feel. What an absolute farce this has been from the beginning. I saw the interview last night as am visiting the uk and was so ashamed that a human being can stoop so low and be so self centered! We as human beings bear the responsibility of our actions, or we should! This sorry excuse of a man is utterly shameful! Utterly utterly!!!!!! There is nothing more precious in life than LIFE itself! How he snuffed that out of another defenseless person and yet claims HE is the victim in all of this. At least he is alive to make any claims!
I pray to God Reeva gets some justice and her parents some kind of peace romorrow but I am absolutely positively sure that will not happen because the same stupid, awe struck idiot is tasked with sentencing the vulnerable coward, she protected in the first place. I don't have to wait till tomorrow.....Shame on you Masipa! You are a disgrace to your profession and truth and justice!

And another one from a poster over yonder

http://www.timeslive.co.za/local/201...ced-for-murder … via @TimesLIVE

Am quids in at 8:1 ...... but then I lose it all on the minus 5 for time served!

Only joking ;) There's still room for surprise and some non-reality based sentencing.

the conviction was changed to Murder, so he hasn't served all the correctional supervision time , i think you'll find looking at the dates
It's so difficult to know what Masipa will do, because she's been such a let down before , consensus does seem to be minimum 6 years in prision serving time.

An article about the sentencing from the Guardian. Nothing new in it but I do like the two photos they chose to illustrate it with.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...th-jail-sentence-reeva-steenkamp-south-africa

Legal experts say it is extremely unlikely that the sportsman will be able to challenge the sentence he receives, though the state may appeal if it is seen as lenient.

I'll be watching Nel's face first thing tv goes onto that Courtroom , because the Lawyers will know how Masipa will be sentencing.

Well if that does happen I do hope sentencing will carry on in his absence, his lawyers can take his instructions later. Otherwise he gets to pull the strings forever. Bail, appeals, higher appeals etc. It's a complete farce already and he's only in this position because he got bail.
his act of looking like a scolded puppy has gone, he doesn't need to look at Masipa anymore, she'll have made her mind up now
So i think you could be right - i think he will be hospitalised (ensure he is) for stress , anxiety blah. , which Roux will convey to the Court
I hope not, but they P camp will do everything.

I really hope it does start at 9am (8am in the UK) as I could catch half an hour before I leave for work. My colleagues know that I've been on a discussion forum for over 3 years and they know I'm really peed off that I have to work on the most significant day of all! None of them have followed it to my/our extent, so they just think I'm obsessed :D

I will catch up with you all later in the day.

Anyway, I'm really sad I'm going to miss it, but I'll be thinking of all you guys and holding 'virtual' hands while we all pray that sentencing day marks the end of the road for that snivelling spineless murderer. I didn't know there was any lower for him to sink in my estimation of him, until the fake hobbling in court, fake wailing in his interview (that, despite needing hospitalisation, he was well enough to do...) the tasteless manipulation of Reeva's voice to lend support to his choice of punishment (disgusted at that, seriously) and using the interview to blame Reeva a little bit more for her own murder. Yep. What a wonderful role model for the children he pretends he wants to help.

I am hoping he will serve a minimum of 10 years before being eligible for anything. He lived his life believing he was special and above the law, and as a consequence of that, Reeva is dead and her family destroyed. As the whole world has seen, OP is just another common murderer who tried to evade justice for his crime. Nothing special about him at all.

Sorry about this....ENCA now showing start time of 0830 BST equivalent

Can someone post one or two good links for live stream of sentencing. I'm setting my alarm clock to watch it. Thanks.

Can someone post one or two good links for live stream of sentencing. I'm setting my alarm clock to watch it. Thanks.

[video=youtube;tJzS9fAIeQ0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJzS9fAIeQ0[/video]

this one says it starts at 9am (UK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members