OT: To all the TX Gulf Sleuthers

Hey, fellow Texans! I'm North Texas and watching intensely. I'm still trying to access the video of Geraldo getting smacked by a huge wave.

this family is located in Montgomery Texas. they were just preparing for the storm, and are now going through the worst thing any normal parent could go through.

A 10-year-old boy in southwest Montgomery County died this morning after a tree limb fell on him, authorities said.

The boy's parents were cutting down a tree at their home in the 1800 block of Coe Road, west of Texas 249, when the accident happened shortly before 9 a.m., Montgomery County officials said.

The boy, Joel Smith, was a fifth-grader, said Richard Jennings, pastor of River of Praise, a nondenominational church in Tomball.

Authorities believe the parents were possibly removing the tree in preparation for Hurricane Ike.

An ambulance took the boy to Tomball Regional Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead shortly after arrival, officials said.

this is courtsey of chron.com

also www.khou.com has alive feed of our local news coverage of the storm.

Crap! We just lost power. We barely have any wind and just a bit of rain.

Wait . . . power keeps going off and on.

I'm sorry to hear that, jnTexas. I'll keep the family in my prayers.

Gustav hit LA on Sept 1st. Yesterday, Sept 12th, the Nat. guard handed out blue tarps for the first time in Baton Rouge. They had over one million tarps but they sat in Austin Tx for 9 days. They finally sent a few thousand to BAton Rouge.All of East Baton Rouge parish was without Electricity. My parents and sister got electricity back on the 12th and 11th. One of the food banks came by and dropped a bunch of food on my parents block at one house. They were told that FEMA would be there in a few hours to help prepare it. FEMA has yet to be heard from by anyone I know. The little couple that had the food dropped prepared the food for the whole block, then knocked on doors to let everyone know.
The Red Cross dropped off a few MRE's one time. They said they would be back with hot food. They were never heard from again.
Broadmoor Baptist Church continually procured ice and handed it out to all comers. The Church of Christ at Goodwood Blvd. and Sharp road prepared thousands of hot meals and passed out canned goods to anyone who needed them.

The Churches tried to help the Gustav victims who had no means of preparing food or refrigerating anything. The governments response has been almost non existant in my families neighborhood. The Red Cross did precious little in that area as well.
My parents have removed the four trees that were all partially on their home.

I ask you, when you are donating moneyto those who stepped up to help, to remeber the people who were there for my people. As far as the rest of them, and the upper echelon that made the decisions to do nothing, they can go to hell. The Iraqi's had more rebuilding and help efforts from our Government than our own people.

And last, Ike survivors, prepare to be on your own. The Electric and phone companies will do their best but FEMA and the bigger charities will just give lip service. I urge you when you are donating to just support the local charities because they are the ONLY ones that will be there to help you.

Good Luck,

Bobby

Hey BigFatMommyDog! Thx for the kind words & well wishes :)
I sent u a pm late last night. Yes, we're out - we'd relocated recently to NV but unfortunately still owning property / homes on the 'Floatin' G'.... lol which is probably under at least 5ft of water since the court house streets got 7ft I heard.... o~man :(
Guess I'll know in a few days [lost live cam feed yesterday] :(

Bobby ~ I'm sorry to hear that. I'd prepare hot meals for your family and send it to them if I could.

You should send a copy of your post to FEMA and state/local reps.

Thank you for your kind words about my family. Most people in my parents neighborhood are a little older wit a self sufficient attitude. In times like these, they seem to pull together for the community good. There are organizations set up, both Govt. and private to help in times of disaster. They did absolutely nothing. So my point is that we need to support the organizations that will support us back in our times of need. I am still angry at the Red Cross for trying to divert funds earmarked for 911 victims to their general fund. They agreed to actually give the victims families the money after the public outcry. (And the incoming cash flow died to a trickle)

I watched Ike all night and felt for the good people of Texas. They are getting hammered by this huge storm and if they allow themselves to get down, will be kicked by those supposed to protect them.

Let's take a few days of the money we spend in Iraq and help our own. And if you are so moved, say a prayer for the disaster survivors. They are part of us and will need it.

I'm bumping this up. I'm in a time crunch and can't keep up with anything at the moment. My greatest concern is.....

Are you all ok?

ETA: I'll be here about another five minutes, then I'll be back later. Just real life taking over ya know?

~snipped~

Thank you for your kind words about my family.

Let's take a few days of the money we spend in Iraq and help our own. And if you are so moved, say a prayer for the disaster survivors. They are part of us and will need it.

I totally agree!

I am in agreement also Bobby

Ike is officially knocking on my front door now.. well, back door also and all in between. It's substantially slower winds than when he started raging fury on Texas but we have trees down here in Oklahoma.

I don't wanna be like Ike!

Ike flew by here last night and made getting to the concert miserable. Parking a block and half away with the wind driving the cold rain into us didn't make me too happy, but I was thinking of our friends in Texas instead. I was headed towards great music, lights, and flowing water in our pipes while they were sitting in the muck and the mud in the dark. :(

Ike has come and gone. Left our town w/o power. Lots of destruction-like downed trees & power lines. Nothing compared to galveston/Houston area. I am hopeful to get our power back by Tues. Until then we have our generator going for running water, a small fan, and well my computer.

I'm at least 4 hours away from Houston, in east Texas. We had a tree fall on our front porch and part of it on our roof. Smaller branches all over the yard. We lost power for nearly 24 hours. Some of the shelters in our area were without power, too. The wind was probably 30-40 mph, with gusts of 50 mph, but the rain was not bad, really. I never thought I would see a hurricane in this area, but Ike just kept going on towards Ark. and further! We finally got our power back this morning about 9:30. Man, that coffee tasted SO GOOD!! We had no way to cook last night, had eaten sandwiches all day, so we drove up to another town to grab something, and there were trees uprooted, laying in roads, people's homes had damage to them, and a business here in our little town had one of it's storage buildings demolished and parts of it scattered across the road. Everything in our town closed up yesterday because of no power. We spent all day clearing the tree branches off our porch and roof and repairing the damage. My flowers and plants took a beating. We just had NO IDEA it would be that strong this far inland!!

From Pittsburgh PA

We are getting the winds, no rain yet.
Boy is it windy, very gusty.
Freaky how mother nature works

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members