Identified! PA - Chester Co., WhtMale 1280UMPA, 20-30, Nov'68 - Robert Corriveau

CPL Robert Daniel Corriveau, 20, murdered 18 November 1968, Downingtown, PA

I first posted this case in 2010 in the Unidentified topic area of websleuths. At that time, it was the case of a John Doe, found in Downingtown, PA on November 18, 1968. In 2012, he was finally identified positively as Corporal Robert Daniel Corriveau, United States Marine Corps. He had been missing and declared a deserter by the Marine Corps for 44 years, but was given a burial with full military honors in October 2012.

Because he was identified, the Unidentified John Doe Case, and that of the Missing person case has been "resolved". But it is still an open and unsolved Murder case and that investigation continues. I have begun a thread for Corporal Corriveau in the "Cold Cases" section of Websleuths which discusses unsolved cases. What follows is the initial post in that thread.....

Here is a brief case summary:

Corporal Robert Daniel Corriveau, known as "Bobby Dan" to his friends and family, was from Lawrence, Mass. where he graduated from High School and entered the United States Marine Corps in 1965. This was during the Viet Nam War.

Upon graduation from USMC boot camp, and follow on training, Corporal Corriveau was shipped to Japan. From there, he was deployed to the northern province of South Vietnam near Dong Ha in Quang Tri Province in 1966.

Corporal Corriveau was wounded on three different occasions during heavy fighting between US forces and those of North Vietnam. The first two times, he was treated for his wounds and returned to combat duty. In 1967, he was wounded more seriously and was medevaced out of theater. He spent the rest of 1967 and much of 1968 in stateside Naval Hospitals recovering from his wounds.

By October of 1968, Corporal Corriveau was offered an early honorable discharge from the Marine Corps, due to his wounds and time served. He wanted to continue serving in the Marine Corps and turned down the offer. It soon became evident that he was suffering from what is today referred to as Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and he was transferred to the US Naval Hospital Philadelphia for treatment.

On the weekend of 14-18 November 1968, Corporal Corriveau left the hospital on authorized liberty in the local Philadelphia area. Where, exactly, he went and what he did are not known. By Monday morning 18 November 1968 at 0745 (AM) he was not present for morning muster at the hospital. Because he was missing, he was declared to be UA (Unauthorized Absence) from the Marine Corps. At the end of 30 days, when he was still missing, he was declared a deserter. His records were forwarded to the National Personnel Records center in St. Louis, MO and his name was placed on a national listing of military deserters. He remained in this status until 2012.

On Monday morning, 18 November 1975, only a few hours after Corporal Corriveau was declared UA, his body was found near a highway interchange in Downingtown, PA - only 30 miles west of the Naval Hospital Philadelphia. He was dressed in civilian clothing and had been killed by a single stab wound to the heart from a sharpened round spike type weapon. No weapon was found in the vicinity and it appeared that his body had been transported to the place where found. There was no identification on the body and he was classified as a John Doe and eventually buried as an unknown person in a paupers grave with only a number to mark his resting place.

He remained an unknown for 44 years. About 2009, his photo was placed on a Pennsylvania State Police Website of unknown persons and unsolved cases. Because there was a tattoo of a USMC Bulldog on his right shoulder, it seemed likely that he was a Marine. Scars from wounds also pointed to such a likely possibility. The link below shows some of the history of that case when it was placed here on Websleuths. (note: the link is one which brings readers to this thread.)

A suggestion was made to Pennsylvania State Police case officers that they contact the Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS) and request that they check with the Marine Corps Deserter Unit to see if there might be any USMC deserters on the books from that time frame. This was done and soon the case of missing Corporal Corriveau and the "Bulldog John Doe" were connected. Family members of Corporal Corriveau were contacted and DNA comparisons were made which resulted in positive identification.

Corporal Corriveau was laid to rest in the family cemetery in Lawrence, MA on 13 October 2012. He was given full military honors by a Marine Corps honor squad and Bugler. The Marine Corps League was also present.

The investigation into his death has continued. Investigators have located all personnel rosters - both Navy and Marine Corps - from the Naval Hospital Philadelphia. Although the Hospital itself was decomissioned and razed long ago, records still exist in the National Archives at College Park, Maryland. From those records, a number of Doctors, Nurses, Hospital Corpsmen, and Patients have been located and interviewed in an attempt to learn more.

Interest in the case has been generated through a number of personal appearances and talks by private investigators and Marines. All information obtained has been turned over to official Pennsylvania State Police case officers.

On Monday morning, 18 November 1975, only a few hours after Corporal Corriveau was declared UA, his body was found near a highway interchange in Downingtown, PA - only 30 miles west of the Naval Hospital Philadelphia.

That should have been 18 November 1968.

Although this case has been filed under the "identified" cases, It is very much an open and on-going case.

Investigators have uncovered quite a few leads in the past year.

Rosters of all Navy and Marine Corps Personnel stationed at the Naval Hospital Philadelphia in 1968 have been located and reviewed. Doctors, Nurses, Hospital Corpsmen, Marine Officers and Enlisted have been located and interviewed.

A wealth of information has come out regarding Corporal Corriveau, his time in Philadelphia Naval Hospital, and his last days.

Not all the answers have been discovered yet, but the questions are being asked over and over again. His murder may yet be solved.

Should this thread (or a copy of it) be put in the "Cold Case" section?
We no longer need to search for his identity... Just his killer.

I don't know how much space (of the server or whatever) it would take up. But there are many cases in the "Identified" section that have been identified but are still being investigated as their killers (or the true circumstances of their death) aren't yet known.

We finally know who he is. But who killed Mr Corriveau and why? We're still looking.

There are countless cases where a UID has been identified but their killer has not been found. Knowing their identity is only a single (albeit very critical) part of actually "resolving" their cases and seeing that they get justice of some kind.

In some cases, such as Corriveau's, the murderer may very well be dead by now. But the "justice" in cases like that would be for any surviving loved ones (or investigators who worked hard on the case) knowing what truly happened to the victim.

I briefly went through some of the latest resolved cases on Charley Project and found these such examples, just from the first few "resolved" pages...

Nancy Grace Daniel
daniel_nancy.jpg
Nancy, 14, disappeared from Orlando, Florida on September 7, 1976. About six months later, hunter found her remains at the edge of Lake Mann in Orlando, four miles from where she was last seen. Nancy's body wasn't identified until June 2014, nearly forty years after her disappearance. Her death is still under investigation. The remains of another teen girl were found in the same vicinity in January 1977; they are still unidentified.
FL FL - Lake Mann, BlkFem 727UFFL, 17-20, 1 of 2 Bodies-2nd Recently ID'd, Jan'77

Shari Lynne Ball
ball_shari.jpg
Ball, 20, disappeared from Boca Raton, Florida on June 27, 1983. In October that year, her body was found in Shelby, New York. It wasn't identified until April 2014, however, nearly thirty years later. The cause of Ball's death hasn't been determined, but foul play is suspected.
FL - Shari Lynn Ball, 20, Boca Raton, 1983
NY - Iroquois Wildlife Refuge, WhtFem 697UFNY, 20-23, Gapped Teeth, Oct'83 Shari Ball

Tammy Hollins
hollins_tammy.jpg
Tammy, 14, disappeared with her mother, Diane, from Daytona Beach, Florida on July 11, 1979. In 1986, her skeletal remains were found in rural Screven County, Georgia. They weren't identified until July 2013, in part because initially the authorities thought the bones were of a grown woman. Diane remains missing and the case is still under investigation.
FL FL - Diane (31) & Tammy (14 - deceased) Hollins, Daytona Beach, 11 June 1979

Tommy Lee Newingham
newingham_tommy.jpg
Newingham, 26, disappeared from Memphis, Tennessee on December 2, 2001. His remains were found in Memphis in 2011, but they weren't identified until February 2013. His death is under investigation.

Elizabeth Lurene Ernstein
ernstein_elizabeth.jpg
Ernstein, 14, disappeared from Redlands, California on March 18, 1968. The following year, her remains were found buried in a shallow grave in an orange grove near Wrightwood, California. They weren't identified until August 2012. Authorities believe Ernstein was the victim of a homicide.
CA - Elizabeth Ernstein, 14, Redlands, 18 March 1968

He was found 30 mins from the Naval hospital where he was a patient...

So, LE finds the body of a murdered man with marine/navy tattoos and it didn't occur to them to check the local Naval hospital to see if he could be from there?The early posts on this thread that said this man should be identifiable were spot on - they should have been able to ID him the day they found him!!!

May he rest in peace - I hope his killer is caught and brought to justice.

So, LE finds the body of a murdered man with marine/navy tattoos and it didn't occur to them to check the local Naval hospital to see if he could be from there?The early posts on this thread that said this man should be identifiable were spot on - they should have been able to ID him the day they found him!!!

If anyone on here is in any way working this case, there is a small chance I have something of value.
I remembered another case, also from 1968, involving a body found in Somerset County, Pa. This is in Southwestern Pa., far from Downingtown.
The nude body of a male was found on January 26, 1968. He probably died of strangulation. After a few days he was identified as Roger Alan Gaddis, a 20 year old US Army Private. He had had surgery of some kind, was granted 12 days convalescent leave, and was hitchhiking back to Virginia from Ohio.
I remember that the State Police took the unusual step of publishing his post mortem in the newspapers to identify him (I was 10 years old and slept with that image in my brain for several nights), but I think prints IDed him.

I don't know if the homicide was ever solved. If it was, well, there are enough parallels with the Corriveau case to make it worth pursuing.

Actually bobby-dan was in his 20's when he died. The pics on this post are not of him... i would know he is my blood

Actually bobby-dan was in his 20's when he died. The pics on this post are not of him... i would know he is my blood

You are?, he only has 2 left. Please don't post any further comments. The photo is of him.

LE did go to the Philadelphia Naval Hospital a couple of days after his body was found. He should have been reported missing, it was not the policy of the USMC to report to an outside agency.

article-0-19A9229400000578-667_306x505.jpg

Corporal Robert Daniel Corriveau, USMC age 20
Murdered 18 November 1968

Although Corporal Corriveau had been unidentified and buried since 1968, he was finally identified in 2012 and reburied in Massachusetts with full military honors.

His bronze headstone reads:
ROBERT DANIEL CORRIVEAU
CPL US MARINE CORPS
VIETNAM
DEC 1, 1947 - NOV 18, 1968
PURPLE HEART & 2 GS

His murder remains an unsolved and open case.

LINK:

Mystery of 'murdered' Vietnam hero Robert Corriveau wrongly branded a deserter | Daily Mail Online

CPL Robert Daniel “Bobby Dan” Corriveau...

Last edited:
Just my 2 cents, as the mother of a 'squid.' No dog tags? I don't know when but sometime, probably after Korea, they stopped putting the servicemen and women's Social numbers on their dog tags. My son's have his blood type. Still guessing....

I think my Ex husband might have killed Cpl Corriveau. He confessed to me in the early 80's that he had picked up a hitch hiker when he was living near Philadelphia in the late 60's and had attacked the guy who he claimed made advances toward him. He said that he left him along the side of the road for dead. He said that he watched the newspapers in the days following and then figured he was okay. At the time he was telling me about this, he was very upset because he believed that he had stabbed someone the night before while out drinking to the point of passing out. He kept saying "It happened again. It happened again." When I saw this cold case, it fit the circumstances of the incident that my Ex told me about.

I think my Ex husband might have killed Cpl Corriveau. He confessed to me in the early 80's that he had picked up a hitch hiker when he was living near Philadelphia in the late 60's and had attacked the guy who he claimed made advances toward him. He said that he left him along the side of the road for dead. He said that he watched the newspapers in the days following and then figured he was okay. At the time he was telling me about this, he was very upset because he believed that he had stabbed someone the night before while out drinking to the point of passing out. He kept saying "It happened again. It happened again." When I saw this cold case, it fit the circumstances of the incident that my Ex told me about.
I hope you’ve called law enforcement with this information.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jp.52203
Back