PA - Child falls off Idlewild Park roller coaster

(Man, do we need a sub forum here, for accidents at Parks...the Disney gator incident, Caleb in KS...)

Yes, the age of the brother is new information that has been added. As some of us suspected, the 3 year old should have been with an adult...not a 7 year old. In this case, some blame needs to go to the employee who let them on the ride. But, in my opinion, the parents shouldn't have allowed this either. I know the info is posted on the park's website about under 48 inches needs to ride with an adult. I wonder if it's posted near the ride or anything. Either way...this is a roller coaster. Common sense should tell a person not to send two small children on it alone. I feel bad for the 7 year old as I'm sure he's blaming himself.

I am guessing the brother was NOT an adult and that is why this occurred. Just speculation, of course.

There are actually a couple dozen(?) roller coasters running today that were built in the 1920's. So this was in old, but definitely not the oldest out there. (Oldest I've been on was built in 1927.)

As far as I've read, this child has NOT died. So that's good, at least.

The oldest one still in existence is in another park in PA. It has no lap bars, as I recall. A very gentle rolling ride. I forget the other particulars.

I have actually ridden this one and it is nowhere near the height or speed of many more recently built rides--both wooden and the newer steel coasters.

While the film clip shows a bar "restraint," I believe that most of these also have a lap belt that serves to hold riders in the car. These are generally easy-in-easy-out clasps that COULD be undone with a simple flip of the clasp. There is also the possibility of a very small person being able to slip out if it wasn't tight enough. The bar really only provides a hand-hold. And we know that despite signs that are always posted (and read out loud at the beginning of each ride) about keeping hands inside the vehicle, most daring riders like to put their hands up on hills in order to have a better experience of "air time."

I would guess it's more that the parent needs to make sure the child remains seated, doesn't try to climb out, etc. There are no belts and the bar isn't that big. Children under 48 inches are typically quite young and therefore may not understand the dangers of a ride.

If there are no belts then the solution is obvious. Add belts.

As to teenagers running the rides, I don't know that is such a problem if they are well-supervised AND the ride itself is safe. Many parks these days hire large numbers of college-age visitors from other countries. The work is hot, repeititive, boring, not-well-paid. But, as a ticket to the country with a bit of travel-time at the end, it can be attractive.

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/w...rollercoaster-pittsburgh/stories/201705080134

Apparently there were 3 children and one adult that got on the ride together. The little one that fell out was barely tall enough to ride at 36.22", but he was seated properly with the adult per the ride operator. However, all 4 of them switched seats while other riders were boarding, causing his fall.

The park decided to replace the ride entirely, which was probably a good plan.

Editing to add that I found some news reports that the boy returned home in October, but the family's attorney had no comment on his condition. Definitely some severe injuries if he was hospitalized for 6-7 weeks.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back