PA PA - Cpl. Robert Corriveau, 20, Downington, 18 Nov 1968

I checked as best I could for the mass transit routes in 1968, they went as far as Paoli, which would be a 10 to 15 mile drive from where the body was placed. There were, in 1968, a lot of spots between Paoli to easily dump a body.

In November 0f 1968, I was 5 years old, so I am no expert in what South Philadelphia was like then. However, there are two large rivers within two miles, a fairly large swamp within five, and several large parks. I could not find a reason why a killer would have killed Corporal Corriveau in South Philadelphia and move the to the Turnpike near Downingtown, except to hide the body. This was obviously not an attempt to hide the body.

On 11/17, there was a Jefferson Airplane performance in Philadelphia. Is that something he might have attended or wanted to attend?

His body was found in a construction area. He was propped up against a fence, had the killer gone a little further there was an embankment which ran downhill. At the bottom of the hill was a stream, beyond the stream were houses. Indicates the killer might not have be familiar with the area.

The authorities believe his body was placed in the location between 7:30 and 10:55 a.m. As I mentioned in a prior post, it had been drizzling and foggy that a.m., but his body was dry. They also put his time of death within a 12-24 hrs period.

The area around the hospital had a lot of bars and prostitutes, so prime location for getting in trouble.

It is possible he might have attended the Jefferson Airplane concert (I would have).

He did have a girlfriend at home. She kept in touch with the family after his disappearance and didn't seem the type. She passed away many years ago. The PSP do not think anyone from the home state had anything to do with his murder. Unfortunately after 43 yrs the friends are gone and interviews are scarce.

I wish the pea coat were available, it may have contained dna.

Respectfully snipped.

His body was found in a construction area. He was propped up against a fence, had the killer gone a little further there was an embankment which ran downhill. At the bottom of the hill was a stream, beyond the stream were houses. Indicates the killer might not have be familiar with the area.

The authorities believe his body was placed in the location between 7:30 and 10:55 a.m. As I mentioned in a prior post, it had been drizzling and foggy that a.m., but his body was dry. They also put his time of death within a 12-24 hrs period.

I wish the pea coat were available, it may have contained dna.

Weather Underground does have some data from 1968. The link, it comes up, is for Coatesville, PA, about ten miles SW from where the body was found. Chester County Carlson, PA History | Weather Underground They had 0.32 inches of rain. They have hourly data from Phila, about 25 miles east; they had the same amount, and it stopped raining by 10:00 AM. Philadelphia, PA History | Weather Underground The 7:30-10:55 range is likely.

It was daylight. Pre-dawn there was almost no moon (5% visible) and it was partly cloudy. Whomever put the body there could have put it there overnight in darkness, but he didn't. Assuming Corporal Corriveau was murdered sometime during the night, why did the murderer wait until daylight?

In daylight, even someone not familiar with the area would have to know that the body could be more easily seen if left along the highway; even today, the area is not built up. I would suspect that, even in 1968, that there would have been signs indicating that the exit was about a mile ahead. The was also was left near a construction site; it would have been seen just as soon as the construction workers started working. Whomever put the body there wanted it to be found and found quickly.

I don't know if you can answer this question, when Corporal Corriveau would go to bed, did he take his wallet out of his pants and did he take his dog tags off?

Respectfully snipped.

Weather Underground does have some data from 1968. The link, it comes up, is for Coatesville, PA, about ten miles SW from where the body was found. Chester County Carlson, PA History | Weather Underground They had 0.32 inches of rain. They have hourly data from Phila, about 25 miles east; they had the same amount, and it stopped raining by 10:00 AM. Philadelphia, PA History | Weather Underground The 7:30-10:55 range is likely.

It was daylight. Pre-dawn there was almost no moon (5% visible) and it was partly cloudy. Whomever put the body there could have put it there overnight in darkness, but he didn't. Assuming Corporal Corriveau was murdered sometime during the night, why did the murderer wait until daylight?

In daylight, even someone not familiar with the area would have to know that the body could be more easily seen if left along the highway; even today, the area is not built up. I would suspect that, even in 1968, that there would have been signs indicating that the exit was about a mile ahead. The was also was left near a construction site; it would have been seen just as soon as the construction workers started working. Whomever put the body there wanted it to be found and found quickly.

I don't know if you can answer this question, when Corporal Corriveau would go to bed, did he take his wallet out of his pants and did he take his dog tags off?

I agree, whomever put his body there wanted him found and quickly. I can't say with certainty what he did with his wallet but I can say he wore his dog tags all the time. He also carried his license and military ID in his wallet all the time.

I agree, whomever put his body there wanted him found and quickly. I can't say with certainty what he did with his wallet but I can say he wore his dog tags all the time. He also carried his license and military ID in his wallet all the time.

This might be a bit insensitive, so I will apologize in advance.

I'm thinking about the possibility that Corporal Corriveau was with a lover. He takes off his clothes, first taking his wallet out of his trousers, and putting on a nightstand, bureau, . Then, he removes his dog tags. They are not a huge impediment to making love but they clink and swing around; they could be annoying.

After finishing, the Corporal dresses, but because he's not leaving the residence, he leaves both on a service. Then, something happens and he is murdered. His body is taken, leaving the dog tags and wallet, as an oversight.

It is a theory.

Was there any indication that his dog tags were forcibly removed, e.g. a mark at the back or side of his neck?

I take it that there was no record of any visitors. Is there a list of staff of the hospital? It is a long shot.

J.J. in Philadelphia - A lightbulb just went off! Do you know if there was an Air Force base in '68? I think north of PA turnpike or route 100??

Last edited:
This might be a bit insensitive, so I will apologize in advance.

I'm thinking about the possibility that Corporal Corriveau was with a lover. He takes off his clothes, first taking his wallet out of his trousers, and putting on a nightstand, bureau, . Then, he removes his dog tags. They are not a huge impediment to making love but they clink and swing around; they could be annoying.

After finishing, the Corporal dresses, but because he's not leaving the residence, he leaves both on a service. Then, something happens and he is murdered. His body is taken, leaving the dog tags and wallet, as an oversight.

It is a theory.

Was there any indication that his dog tags were forcibly removed, e.g. a mark at the back or side of his neck?

I take it that there was no record of any visitors. Is there a list of staff of the hospital? It is a long shot.

No apology needed.. anything is possible. But I do know there were no signs of injury to the neck area. Not a bruise on his body other than the stab wound.

No record of visitors. However, did make contact with a corpsman who claimed he remembered him, but what he had to say re: was not true.

Also, there was no record of a liberty pass being issued for either wknd. I've been told that is not unusual.

Last edited:
J.J. in Philadelphia - A lightbulb just went off! Do you know if there was an Air Force base in '68? I think north of PA turnpike??

North of Philadelphia, yes, Willow Grove Naval Air Station. The main gate was just under 4 miles from the Willow Grove exit from the Turnpike. It would be a total of 33-34 miles east of where the body was found, and it wound be reached using the westbound lanes.

I actually have met several members of the family that originally owned the land and developed the civilian airfield there in the 1920's.

North of Philadelphia, yes, Willow Grove Naval Air Station. The main gate was just under 4 miles from the Willow Grove exit from the Turnpike. It would be a total of 33-34 miles east of where the body was found, and it wound be reached using the westbound lanes.

I actually have met several members of the family that originally owned the land and developed the civilian airfield there in the 1920's.

Was it a populated area back then? Any nightlife? Where would servicemen go if they traveled within the air base and the Downingtown area?

We're there any places where a fighter could have a couple of bouts, an arena etc?

Last edited:
Going west from the Willow Grove exit (toward the spot where the body was found), there are several exits. The area around each of those exits was built up, even in 1968, from Willow Grove to Valley Forge, inclusive.

There may have been one exit between Valley Forge and Downingtown, Phoenixville. I'm not sure if it was there in 1968, but I am sure that there was a large working quarry where the exit was today. It is possible that there would have been workers there that could seen a body being placed. It might even be a less ideal place to put a body.

It is at least plausible that the body could have been taken from the Willow Grove area and placed by just before the Downingtown exit.

Going west from the Willow Grove exit (toward the spot where the body was found), there are several exits. The area around each of those exits was built up, even in 1968, from Willow Grove to Valley Forge, inclusive.

There may have been one exit between Valley Forge and Downingtown, Phoenixville. I'm not sure if it was there in 1968, but I am sure that there was a large working quarry where the exit was today. It is possible that there would have been workers there that could seen a body being placed. It might even be a less ideal place to put a body.

It is at least plausible that the body could have been taken from the Willow Grove area and placed by just before the Downingtown exit.

If on the turnpike, YES it's plausible..

The construction was at the Downingtown exchange in a ramp area I'm not sure if it was the old part of the road being re-routed or the new road from the finished construction. The photos I have where the body was found are definitely on the turnpike.

JFK Stadium was about 2,500 feet from the hospital. The Eagles played there, but they played in NY on 11/17/68 against the Giants (the Jets away game let to the "Heidi Incident").

I'm sure that there were a few "sports bars" in the area of the Stadium. From what I've read, most of the adult clubs, adult movie theaters, non-neighborhood bars, would have been in Center City or along Broad Street. I don't think that there were a lot, if any, in Willow Grove.

The was/is a commuter train from Willow Grove to Center City.

JFK Stadium was about 2,500 feet from the hospital. The Eagles played there, but they played in NY on 11/17/68 against the Giants (the Jets away game let to the "Heidi Incident").

I'm sure that there were a few "sports bars" in the area of the Stadium. From what I've read, most of the adult clubs, adult movie theaters, non-neighborhood bars, would have been in Center City or along Broad Street. I don't think that there were a lot, if any, in Willow Grove.

The was/is a commuter train from Willow Grove to Center City.

I need to do a bit of research here, I'll get back asap..

There was a Marine air wing stationed there in 1968, but it might have been a reserve wing.

At Willow Grove?

I've moved away from the Philadelphia area because he's traveled in a westerly direction. He could have been visiting someone he's met west of the city.

I was thinking more along the lines of fighting venues. That would have been something he would do because he boxed both in and out of the Corp., I think he would have chosen boxing over a football game. Something was happening west of Philadelphia.

Yes, there was a Marine Aviation unit stationed at Willow Grove in 1968. It was Marine Air Base Squadron-43 (MABS-43). There may have been some others, an air traffic control unit.

I'm looking in the area of Willlow Grove to Coatsville.

As far as I know, there was no venue for any sports events, except for school gyms and some good gold courses, between Willow Grove and Coatesville. No entertainment venues either, other than local theaters. The area was then pretty much either rural or suburban; they didn't even have those suburban office complexes and mini-marts that are all over the place now.

My roommate, who was also 5 in 1968 and grew up in Phila can't remember anything either out in that direction. She also confirmed that adult entertainment was pretty much limited to Center City.

Her late s.o. was a Marine in Viet Nam in 1968. His adult was a Marine. She said that they never would talk off their dog tags. She was Army and did take hers off.

Was there any toxicology done on the body?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shimona
Back