PA PA - District Attorney Ray Gricar Mysteriously Disappeared - Bellefonte 15 April 2005 #18

The Southfield sighting is interesting.
Barbara Gray as a possible helper... knowing that Ray was close to his daughter Lara, would Barbara help Ray disappear knowing that this would cause their own daughter grief? Or, do you suspect she knew as well?
No, I do not think LAG knew, but I suspect that she strongly suspects it.

LAG would benefit financially, so that could be a motivation for helping him.

BG was teaching in Belgium or the Netherlands about 6 weeks before RFG disappeared. It would have been a good opportunity to finalize plans.

The first time I saw a photo of BG, I thought she was in her 70's and was PEF's mother; she was probably mid to late 50's. In Southfield, if it was RFG, he was seen with an "older" woman.

If I were approach the case by assuming that RFG walked away and had a helper, BG would be the first person I'd look at.

Now, that can be coincidence. The Southfield sighting might have been shoe salesman and his maiden out out to put flowers on graves. While there are a lot of names on my list of potential helpers, her name is currently at the top.

With Ray being 60 and about to retire, any insight on why he would plan a disappearance instead of just telling people the truth? Why not just come clean that you want to move out of PA and don't see a future with Patty? I tend to think he left on his own accord because he was intimidated by someone (s). He needed his destination to be confidential and his disappearance to be a complete mystery. He wanted people to ponder the possibility of foul play or suicide..this would benefit him. There's probably one person he trusted with this..I'm sure he needed a new identity, passport, funds, transportation, ect. and would need help pulling this off.

With Ray being 60 and about to retire, any insight on why he would plan a disappearance instead of just telling people the truth? Why not just come clean that you want to move out of PA and don't see a future with Patty? I tend to think he left on his own accord because he was intimidated by someone (s). He needed his destination to be confidential and his disappearance to be a complete mystery. He wanted people to ponder the possibility of foul play or suicide..this would benefit him. There's probably one person he trusted with this..I'm sure he needed a new identity, passport, funds, transportation, ect. and would need help pulling this off.
Money.

I haven't gone back through all 18 threads, so forgive me if this information is already common knowledge. The Susquehanna River is accessible directly behind the Street of Shops. There's even a little park there now, I'm not sure if it was there in 2005. I find it very curious that the laptop was found so close to where Ray was hanging out in public for an extended period. Street of Shops has hundreds of vendors, a restaurant (I presume that was there in 2005), and is a popular destination along with a handful of other antique stores in the area. It's as public a place in downtown Lewisburg as you can get. MOO is that the disappearance was planned. Lots of money and connections in Lewisburg with Bucknell University, the nearby Geisinger hospital complex in Danville, the Lewisburg Penitentiary, and of course the central location in Pennsylvania.

Many possibilities. Love or Fear or both together make sense. I rank the better ones in this order.
- He could have had another woman he ran away with. Heck, even a mail order bride waiting somewhere.
- He could have been a closet homosexual and ran away with a man.
- He could have feared harm from someone.
- He could have been a pedophile.
- He could have committed some other crime he ran from. It never surfaced if this was the case.

I haven't gone back through all 18 threads, so forgive me if this information is already common knowledge. The Susquehanna River is accessible directly behind the Street of Shops. There's even a little park there now, I'm not sure if it was there in 2005. I find it very curious that the laptop was found so close to where Ray was hanging out in public for an extended period. Street of Shops has hundreds of vendors, a restaurant (I presume that was there in 2005), and is a popular destination along with a handful of other antique stores in the area. It's as public a place in downtown Lewisburg as you can get. MOO is that the disappearance was planned. Lots of money and connections in Lewisburg with Bucknell University, the nearby Geisinger hospital complex in Danville, the Lewisburg Penitentiary, and of course the central location in Pennsylvania.
You can walk to it.

The laptop was found in the river next to a bridge support; it was about 100 yards from the river bank.

Many possibilities. Love or Fear or both together make sense. I rank the better ones in this order.
- He could have had another woman he ran away with. Heck, even a mail order bride waiting somewhere.
- He could have been a closet homosexual and ran away with a man.
- He could have feared harm from someone.
- He could have been a pedophile.
- He could have committed some other crime he ran from. It never surfaced if this was the case.
No one else is missing, making #1 and #2 unlikely.

He was not facing prosecution or discovery, making #4 and #5 unlikely.

No one else is missing, making #1 and #2 unlikely.

He was not facing prosecution or discovery, making #4 and #5 unlikely.
I disagree that they are any less likely than any other run away scenario.

The lover could be in another state or country, out of the PA public’s radar. Could be someone with no family that disappeared unnoticed.

For crimes, he could have feared being found out or could have been ashamed.

If he ran away, the reason was on that laptop.

I don't like the implication regarding polygraphs in the first post. Polygraphs are junk science. The Green River killer passed one with flying colors.

Polygraphs are an investigative tool. They help, but they are not definitive.

I disagree that they are any less likely than any other run away scenario.

The lover could be in another state or country, out of the PA public’s radar. Could be someone with no family that disappeared unnoticed.

For crimes, he could have feared being found out or could have been ashamed.

If he ran away, the reason was on that laptop.
There would have to be some contact with an out of state lover.

I do NOT agree that the reason is on the laptop; some clues could be.

Polygraphs are an investigative tool. They help, but they are not definitive.
There's a very good reason they aren't allowed as court evidence. They've been debunked time and time again. I would not rule out anyone based on a simple polygraph result.

Yes, and the contact would have been on that laptop. Hence Ray destroying it.
I don't believe Ray destroyed it. Having looked up how to destroy a hard drive doesn't mean that he did it or that he intended to do it. I've looked it up just to see how fragile a hard drive might be. Ray may have wondered how easy it would be for someone else to destroy evidence on his hard drive.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shaunie
Back