PA PA - Ilonka Cann, 22, Huntington Mills, 26 May 1970

A coroner's inquest is scheduled to begin Monday with the selection of six jurors and two alternates whose task will be to decide how Ilonka Cann, 22, mysteriously disappeared by her own choice or by foul play.

The Pennsylvania State Police at Shickshinny and Wilkes-Barre barracks have been investigating Ilonka Cann's disappearance since she was last seen at her Cann Road residence in Huntington Township on May 27, 1970.

In recent years, state police have renewed their investigation by draining several ponds, an excavation of an island and a wooded area near the Cann residence.

Reportedly, Ilonka Cann's husband, Charles Cann II, reported her missing when he returned home after teaching at a school only to find their 15-month-son alone. Ilonka Cann was pregnant at the time she disappeared.

Ilonka Cann was legally declared deceased by Luzerne County Judge Richard M. Hughes III in October based on a petition filed by her sister, Anita Harless, through Attorney Nancy Violi.

The judicial designation of being deceased changed the state police investigation from a missing-persons investigation to a death investigation
A coroner's inquest is scheduled to begin Monday with the selection of six jurors and two alternates whose task will be to decide how Ilonka Cann, 22, mysteriously disappeared by her own choice or by foul play.

The Pennsylvania State Police at Shickshinny and Wilkes-Barre barracks have been investigating Ilonka Cann's disappearance since she was last seen at her Cann Road residence in Huntington Township on May 27, 1970.

In recent years, state police have renewed their investigation by draining several ponds, an excavation of an island and a wooded area near the Cann residence.

The judicial designation of being deceased changed the state police investigation from a missing-persons investigation to a death investigation

What was Cann's connection to Hackettstown NJ?

ETA

Nevermind. I found my answer here:

“Charles Cann II’s parents resided in the area of Hackettstown and, reportedly, he may have traveled to this area in and around the time of Ilonka’s disappearance,” Betnar siad.

Some news today

Timeline and more info quite interesting. A pond was being constructed on the property at the time Ilonka disappeared... now I understand those searches. Also, interesting that Cann Sr was in PA and accompanied his son to NJ.

Charles Cann II was in court at the start of the inquest but had to leave the courtroom as he is under subpoena to testify and witnesses were sequestered.

Anita Harless testified Monday afternoon reading letters her sister, Ilonka Cann, wrote to their mother in 1970. The letters expressed an unhappy Ilonka Cann who wrote to her mother that her in-laws were controller her husband and family. In one letter, Ilonka Cann had told her mother her marriage would be happier if her husband’s parents would leave them alone.

Ilonka Cann’s parents were going to send their daughter money for bus tickets as she planned to leave Charles Cann II, and secretly send the money to a neighbor who was friendly with Ilonka Cann about the time she disappeared

Timeline provided of Ilonka Cann’s disappearance to coroner’s jury - Times Leader (Timeline paraphrased by me)

May 25, 1970: Ilonka spoke with her mother living in Ohio. She was upset, crying and looking forward to visiting her parents.

May 25, 1970: Charles Cann I, (Charles’ father and Ilonka’s FIL) arrived at mobile home in Benton from his permanent home in Hackettstown, N.J.. He was retired, but sometimes worked as a substitute teacher in the Benton School District.

May 26, 1970: 7-7:15 am, Charles II left their home to go to work and returned 3:30-3:45 pm. Ilonka wasn’t there.

May 26, 1970: Charles II calls his father indicating his wife was missing. About 4:30 pm Charles I arrived at their residence.

May 26, 1970: 9:45 pm, Charles I calls Ilonka’s parents telling them she is missing.

May 26, 1970: 10-10:15 pm, Ilonka’s parents contact the Berwick mayor pleading for help finding Ilonka. Mayor calls the state police barracks at Shickshinny.

May 27, 1970: 3:45 pm (approx), Charles II arrived at the Shickshinny barracks to report his wife missing. $180 was also missing from the residence.

May 28, 1970: Charles I told the state police that on May 26th he accompanied his son to Hackettstown, N.J. to drop off the toddler with his wife. During that trip, Charles I also claimed he submitted his resignation directly to the principal at Benton HS.

Timeline provided of Ilonka Cann’s disappearance to coroner’s jury - Times Leader (Timeline paraphrased by me)

May 25, 1970: Ilonka spoke with her mother living in Ohio. She was upset, crying and looking forward to visiting her parents.

May 25, 1970: Charles Cann I, (Charles’ father and Ilonka’s FIL) arrived at mobile home in Benton from his permanent home in Hackettstown, N.J.. He was retired, but sometimes worked as a substitute teacher in the Benton School District.

May 26, 1970: 7-7:15 am, Charles II left their home to go to work and returned 3:30-3:45 pm. Ilonka wasn’t there.

May 26, 1970: Charles II calls his father indicating his wife was missing. About 4:30 pm Charles I arrived at their residence.

May 26, 1970: 9:45 pm, Charles I calls Ilonka’s parents telling them she is missing.

May 26, 1970: 10-10:15 pm, Ilonka’s parents contact the Berwick mayor pleading for help finding Ilonka. Mayor calls the state police barracks at Shickshinny.

May 27, 1970: 3:45 pm (approx), Charles II arrived at the Shickshinny barracks to report his wife missing. $180 was also missing from the residence.

May 28, 1970: Charles I told the state police that on May 26th he accompanied his son to Hackettstown, N.J. to drop off the toddler with his wife. During that trip, Charles I also claimed he submitted his resignation directly to the principal at Benton HS.

Glad you successfully paraphrased that timeline in my link... I knew I wouldn't be able to condense it properly.

Homicide. That’s the verdict from a jury for the coroner’s inquest into the 1970 disappearance of 22-year-old Ilonka Cann from Luzerne County

The six-member jury deliberated for just over an hour. They determined the manner of death as homicide for Ilonka Cann and the cause is undetermined.

There was dramatic testimony on Tuesday at the hearing. First off, Charles Cann was called to the witness stand and he invoked his Fifth Amendment right, meaning he would not testify on the grounds it could incriminate him.

The lawyer representing Cann's husband, Charles Cann, disagreed with the entire proceeding.
"I think the coroner did a real disservice to those jurors and to the community for asking these six people to make a decision about the manner of death of a woman who went missing 54 years ago. They presented zero evidence to show that any crime was committed," Peter Paul Olszewski said.

Cann didn't provide answers, he just took the 5th.... Ilonka and her family deserved better.

I hope Ilonka's sister is doing okay under these circumstances.

jmo

Bizarre. So, where is Ilonka?! What was discovered during the most recent search? What could Charles have said that would incriminate him? What was presented that made them rule her death a homicide?

I agree, I hope her family finds some sort of comfort in this.

Pennsylvania State Police Corporal Robert Betnar, the lead investigator on Ilonka Cann’s case since 2016, said the investigation remains active.

It will be up to the Pennsylvania Attorney General’s Office to decide if criminal homicide charges will be pursued.

I think Ilonka’s husband Charles married a woman named Toni after Grace Brown divorced him.

It really bothers me that the house burned down. I wonder if a cause was determined-can’t find out any more information.

I think Ilonka’s husband Charles married a woman named Toni after Grace Brown divorced him.

It really bothers me that the house burned down. I wonder if a cause was determined-can’t find out any more information.
1710555736520.jpeg

View attachment 490854

I thought maybe the question was about this fire in 2022?

HUNTINGTON TOWNSHIP, LUZERNE COUNTY (WBRE/WYOU) — Crews responded to an overwhelming house fire Monday morning in near Shickshinny.

Officials say the fire was called in around 10:00 a.m., on Monday, at 70 Cann Road, the same location where Ilonka Cann went missing in 1970.

I thought maybe the question was about this fire in 2022?

HUNTINGTON TOWNSHIP, LUZERNE COUNTY (WBRE/WYOU) — Crews responded to an overwhelming house fire Monday morning in near Shickshinny.

Officials say the fire was called in around 10:00 a.m., on Monday, at 70 Cann Road, the same location where Ilonka Cann went missing in 1970.

My mistake. My mind just immediately went to the earlier one that killed those little boys (and subsequently their grandma). Thanks for the clarification.

My mistake. My mind just immediately went to the earlier one that killed those little boys (and subsequently their grandma). Thanks for the clarification.

Not really a mistake at all as there were two fires. It's good we mentioned each of them in our separate posts... especially for anyone new to the thread.

Human remains in advanced state of decomp (probably bones) were found 25 miles away from where Illonka disappeared, in the basement of a rowhouse on Carlisle Street in Wilkes-Barre, PA. Who owned a unit in those rowhouses? Illonka's uncle-in-law, the uncle of her husband. I sent the tip to the police, but I'm assuming they've likely already checked the deed of the home for themselves. Caveat: That area of Wilkes-Barre is today known for drug abuse, so there is a likelihood the remains could be unrelated to the Cann case. However, it is still a very big coincidence.

Human remains in advanced state of decomp (probably bones) were found 25 miles away from where Illonka disappeared, in the basement of a rowhouse on Carlisle Street in Wilkes-Barre, PA. Who owned a unit in those rowhouses? Illonka's uncle-in-law, the uncle of her husband. I sent the tip to the police, but I'm assuming they've likely already checked the deed of the home for themselves. Caveat: That area of Wilkes-Barre is today known for drug abuse, so there is a likelihood the remains could be unrelated to the Cann case. However, it is still a very big coincidence.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back