PA PA - Jacqueline Simpson, 44, Vandergrift, 28 Feb 1982

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score

Jacqueline G Simpson
Nickname/Alias Jackie
Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania
44 year old white female

Height (inches)65.0 to 67.0
Weight (pounds)135.0 to 140.0

Hair: Blond/Strawberry
Eyes: Unknown

Circumstances: On February 28, 1982 Jackie Simpson didn't return to her daughter's apartment after tending bar at the former Magic Lamp Bar and Grill in Vandergrift. She was last seen just after midnight with Gary R. Kunish, the bar's owner with whom she had an on-again, off-again relationship.

DNA Status: Initial inquiry underway

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/33015/

Sept. 28, 1982
GREENSBURG, Pa. -- A former tavern owner was found guilty Tuesday of killing a barmaid he once employed -- even though the woman's body has never been found.

A six-man, six-woman Westmoreland County jury deliberated more than 10 hours during a two-day period before convicting Gary Kunish of voluntary manslaughter in the presumed slaying of Jacqueline Simpson, 44.

Kunish, 43, of Allegheny Township, Westmoreland County, originally had been charged with murder in the case.
Mrs. Simpson, a mother of seven from New Kensington, has been missing since Feb. 27. Authorities had no body or eyewitnesses in the case and prosecutors still can't say how they believe Mrs. Simpson was killed.
Despite those complicating factors, authorities maintained throughout Kunish's trial that they had enough evidence for(c conviction.
'It's probably the right verdict,' First Assistant District Attorney Robert Johnston said. 'There was so much we didn't know but I have no difficulty with voluntary manslaughter.'
https://www.upi.com/Archives/1982/0...er-was-found-guilty-Tuesday-of/7679402033600/

Saturday, March 3, 2007
Twenty-five years after the disappearance and slaying of barmaid Jacqueline Simpson, her children still cling to hope that her remains will be discovered and finally laid to rest.

"We miss her terribly," said her oldest daughter, Tammy Simpson, of New Kensington. "All this time we have been hoping someone or something shows up."
Wednesday marked the 25th anniversary of Simpson's disappearance. It was Feb. 28, 1982, when Jackie Simpson didn't return to her daughter's apartment after tending bar at the former Magic Lamp Bar and Grill in Vandergrift.
Her body was never found.
The man convicted of her murder, Gary R. Kunish, died in 1996, perhaps taking with him any chance of finding Simpson's remains.

But Tammy Simpson said she feels that he was not the only person who knows where her mother is buried.
"There is one other person that palled around with him (Kunish) and I believe she knows," Tammy Simpson said. "A lot of people were deathly afraid of him and I believe she was, too."
Prior to her disappearance, the 44-year-old, 5-foot-6-inch, 135-pound strawberry blonde mother of seven had ended an on-again, off-again relationship with Kunish just before Christmas 1981. She had since begun to date a man from Vandergrift.
"I can remember Gary saying, 'If I can't have her, nobody can have her,'" Tammy Simpson said. "When you break up with someone, all you want is that person to leave you alone.
"We used to beg her to 'please, please get away from him.'"
Read More: http://triblive.com/x/valleynewsdispatch/s_495916.html

Timeline Jackie Simpson disappeared, leaving behind seven children, ages 15 to 23. This is a timeline of events surrounding her disappearance:

• Feb. 27, 1982: Tammy and Wendy Simpson walk their mother, Jackie, to work at the Magic Lamp Bar and Grill in Vandergrift at about 5:30 p.m.
  • Feb. 28, 1982: Jackie is last seen just after midnight with Gary R. Kunish, the bar's owner with whom she had an on-again, off-again relationship. Later that morning, Simpson is reported missing when she fails to return home.
  • March, 3, 1982: On about this date, Tammy Simpson, who also worked at the Magic Lamp, finds spots of blood in the bar.
  • April 6, 1982: Kunish is arrested for the murder of Jackie Simpson. Her body had not been found.
  • April 8, 1982: Kunish posts bond and is released.
  • April 14, 1982: The hunt for Jackie continues as law-enforcement officials search the Braeburn area of Lower Burrell.
  • May 21, 1982: Kunish is formally arraigned before Judge Daniel J. Ackerman in Greensburg.
  • June 28, 1982: The Simpson children call on Nancy Anderson, a psychic from Jeannette, to again help find the remains of her mother.
  • Sept. 10, 1982: Testimony in the murder case begins.
  • Sept. 28, 1982: A jury convicts Kunish of involuntary manslaughter.
  • June 23, 1984: Kunish sells the Magic Lamp bar to Clarence Cook. The tavern is renamed the Hideout.
  • August 1984: Kunish begins to serve time in the state prison near Greensburg.
  • May 1, 1986: Kunish appeals his sentence of 3 1/2 to seven years.
  • Jan. 14, 1987: Kunish wins his appeal. His sentence is reduced by one to two years.
  • Feb. 16, 1988: Kunish is paroled after serving 3 1/2 years.
  • 1995: Kunish's parole ends. He no longer is supervised by the state.
  • Sept. 1, 1996: Kunish dies at 57.

http://triblive.com/x/valleynewsdispatch/s_495916.html

I am not far from Vandergrift and I really never heard too much about her disappearance. I guess in 1982, I was only 7 years old, that's probably why.

He died in 1996. He never confessed or revealed the whereabouts of Simpson's body.

Authorities believe Simpson's remains are probably in the former Varos Landfill in Buffalo Township, Pennsylvania. They searched the landfill at one time, but found no evidence, and the search was eventually discontinued due to prohibitive costs.

Simpson left behind seven children. She has never been located.

I had a family member tell me a different story about where they heard Gary put her body.
The information you have is important. Could you approach the police to hand over this information? It could be useful, a case could be closed

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlexWorksInTelly
Back