Deceased/Not Found PA - Karen, 11, & Michael Reinert, 10, Ardmore, 22 June 1979 *W. Bradfield guilty*

I still believe Echoes In the Darkness is the go-to book for covering all the issues raised about these multiple crimes. I feel so sad when I think about Susan Reinert, Michael and Karen Reinert, and Ken Reinert.

Dec 7 2023

''Police found the body of their mother, Susan Reinert, a Montgomery County teacher, in Dauphin County on June 25, 1979. Her two young children remain missing and are presumed dead. Reinert’s body was found in the open trunk of her car, in the parking lot of the former Host Inn Hotel in Swatara Township.'

''A photo turned up in the prison cell of William S. Bradfield Jr., who died of heart failure in 1998 while serving three life sentences for the Reinert murders.''
1701983175521.png
''The photograph, which police say was developed in 1986, depicts a stone marker that resembles a hooded figure. The stone is surrounded by fallen leaves, with woods in the background. Investigators have been unable to locate the marker.

Anyone with information is urged to contact PSP Harrisburg at 717-671-7500 or anonymously contact the Pennsylvania Crime Stoppers Toll Free at 1-800-4PA-TIPS (8477) or online at Tip Form.''

Critical questions about Reinert case

I've read all 3 major books on this crime, and have re-read 2 of them.

Like many who have studied this case, I feel strongly that one of Bradfield’s groupies who was not at the shore with the group was involved in this crime, and this person was never held accountable. In many ways, and if I had to pick, I think it is more likely that Bradfield and this groupie did this themselves without Smith, than Bradfield and Smith did it without this person. For me, the following thoughts and questions serve as good triggers for zeroing in on the most critical and undeniable facts and implications around Smith's (and/or a Bradfield groupie’s) guilt or innocence:

1) The time/date stamped RECEIPT from the A & P found in Bradfield apartment. Totally unexplained. This receipt is an undeniable fact that cannot be ignored and means there MUST be more to this story. To me this strongly suggests a groupie who stayed home was involved somehow. Was any explanation EVER offered by anyone for the receipt? This is the biggest, most critical piece of unexplained/unresolved evidence of all in this case I think.

Implication: Nearly GUARANTEES a groupie was involved, does it not?

2) Bradfield wrote in code to a groupie: "We made it" FROM JAIL after the murders but before his murder arrest – what innocent thing could this possibly mean? Really hard to imagine anything.

Implication: groupie involved

4) Bill also asked the groupie in the message: "Did you tell Pappas about Smith? Need to make sure stories match, etc." What is the meaning/implication?

Implication: Groupie involved in conspiracy to frame Smith, Smith possibly not involved

6) Can unknown red fibers from Reinert body vs. Smith carpet fiber be retested now with much better tech? How about DNA test of supposed Reinert hair on Smith carpet? If so, this really should happen!

7) Smith was so nervous when driving really erratically away from the shopping center parking lot when cops pulled him over after gun incident. He come across to me as very amateurish in carrying out this far lesser crime. Hard to envision this same sloppy, awkward guy not also getting caught somewhere along the line in the act of a triple murder or while supposedly covering it up for so many years.

Implication: Smith not involved

8) Bradfield and Smith agreed to only communicate through certain lines/phones? In a practice call, Chris Pappas heard Smith‘s voice on the other end. Why was this method established by them? Smith's fingerprint was on envelope of letter sent to Bradfield explaining the calling method. Was this complex, cumbersome secret communication all done just to prepare for a fake alibi, or to also plan a murder? Seems way too elaborate to use just to plan an alibi-- nobody would look at their phone records after just an alibi testimony.

Implication: Smith involved

9) Bradfield seen with Smith at a diner by Reinert friend- denied it and swore to Susan R. that this was false and never happened. Why lie about this? Makes no sense. He could have just said they were meeting about the "alibi"—would have been totally reasonable. Seems to show a consciousness of guilt to lie about it to Reinert. Why were they meeting?

10) No fingerprints on comb found under Susan’s body nor on Karen’s (supposed) P pin. How very strange- suggests to me a set-up. Bradfield could have planted both. Did Bradfield know Smith used such a comb? Was Smith known to regularly use this comb in front of others, and Bradfield stole one to later plant?

Implication: Smith not involved or was involved but was double crossed by co-conspirator Bradfield

11) Smith did not fight for his life or his innocence in any way at all in sentencing. Like he just accepted he was guilty. Even for a “military man” this is really crazy if he truly was innocent and not at all involved.

12) Smith could have written to his dying wife from prison about anything in the world, yet it seemed to center mostly around items that needed to be cleaned or removed -- this focus is really strange and hard to explain-- it suggests he’s trying to destroy evidence, especially that he is asking his nearly dead wife to do this hard manual labor. Sort of suggests desperation on Smith's part, doesn’t it?

13) According to Smith, what was the actual legitimate purpose of him having nitric acid found in his home? I do not see this discussed anywhere.

14) What to make of Bradfield changing his tune about Smith’s guilt? What in the world does he gain by changing his opinion on this so suddenly and so drastically? I can only think of one thing- he's scared Smith will turn on him if he openly accuses him of murder that he committed with Smith, after possibly double-crossing him— this change protects himself from pissing Smith off so much that Smith flips on him and cuts a deal with prosecutors. Also, Bill actually mentioned Alex, the “black guy from Carlisle” to Chris Pappas before the murder saying this guy was a second person who wanted to kill Susan. Why? Again, trying to muddy the waters to somewhat protect Smith while simultaneously double crossing him by leaving comb and dildo. If Smith had zero involvement, why not just continue to vocally blame Smith and repeat what he told his friends for all those months? What could he possibly have to lose by sticking to that narrative? I do not get it.

Implication: Smith involved -- this one is tough to argue against in my view

15) Why did Chris Pappas actually have to keep the weapons and instruments of murder at his place? Why did Chris have to keep acid? What purpose did any of this serve for Bill? Hide the stuff from Sue Myers I guess? What was "practicing" locking up b/t Bill and Pappas really all about? Seems to have served no purpose for Bill (who always has a purpose for all of his actions and manipulation.)

16) Bill's knowledge of the sound of .22 bullet-- According to Pappas, Bill knew less than nothing about mechanisms in general. Why had he obviously studied up on this?

Implication: Bradfield involved in the actual killing of the kids, so capable of actually having killed Reinert too. Then why would he have needed Smith? Suggests Smith not involved.

17) What IN THE WORLD do you make of the Taos phone call to Stephanie’s coworker? I cannot settle on a purpose for this. Another favor for Smith from Bill. But WHY?

Implication: Smith involved. Why do a second significant favor for Smith if Bill gets nothing in return? Bill always had a motive. If it was not to later help get rid of bodies, what did Bill want or get out of these deals? Must have been for something, right?

18) Smith to Martray in recording: “Where are the kids bodies? See he’s gotta show all that stuff and he can’t”. How does Smith know that Bradfield definitely doesn’t know where the bodies are? Echoes in the Darkness makes this point...but...

One possible explanation for why this quote does not necessarily implicate Smith is the context of the word “can’t.” This could just simply be Smith explaining how Bradfield cannot possibly successfully FRAME him (or anyone else) for these murders because there are no bodies (no hard evidence means low chance of indictment for anyone other than Bill)-- and Bill cannot let on to the cops where those bodies are because then it shows that Bill was at least part of it. He “can’t” show the bodies does not necessarily mean Bradfield does not know where the bodies are, Smith could've just meant that Bill “can’t” tell the cops where they are because it would show Bill is guilty, and without the bodies nobody else (including Smith) will likely be arrested.

Implication: Tough one.

19) Location of body:

There is absolutely ZERO chance Smith drove Reinert car to Harrisburg (where he was to be arraigned the next morning) and left the trunk open. Zero. Same with Bill Bradfield- no known gaps during his visit to Cape May.

So who actually did ditch the car there? Whoever it was, they did it for Bill b/c only Bill benefitted from the body being found. These indisputable facts (that it wasn't Bill or Smith who drove and left the car there) make it darn near 100% that another person participated in this heinous crime. Regardless of whether Smith was involved or not, a separate person DEFINITELY was involved. Tie this into the receipt from the A&P in Bill’s place and it even further solidifies this. Add in the “We made it.” in the coded message to a groupie and....it’s got to be a groupie, right? Is there any other plausible explanation?

Just really hate to see this crime slip away with so many people related to the case dying and retirements of those who worked it, etc.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phnix
Back