PA PA - Katherine Jones, 29, Clearfield County, 27 Sept 1974

This case intrigues me. It seems the police or investigators just dropped the ball. I found this information on another site:
--------------------------------
When police officers recontacted Kathy's family in April 1975, the family said they had no new information. However, when police spoke with them again in May, family members said they received a Western Union telegram from New Jersey, although they did not detail its contents.

Kathy's friend, with whom she had left her children, told police she, too, had received a telegram from Kathy, but that she had thrown it away.

Cipollini said until that time, police thought Kathy Jones was a routine missing person case. "But when we found out months later that an alleged telegram arrived shortly after her disappearance, the case was no longer 'routine.'"

Police also talked with an acquaintance of Kathy's during the investigation. The woman told law enforcement officers that Kathy came to her home Sept. 27, but never mentioned leaving town. The woman noted that Kathy did appear happy that day. She said a man with dark hair and a Mustache driving a red Volkswagen pulled up to her house. Kathy put clothes from her car into his and the two drove away.

Sgt. Cipollini said officers interviewed numerous friends of Kathy's, including a former boy-friend. "We even used dogs from New York state to search for Kathy's body," the sergeant said. Those investigative methods turned up nothing.

The investigation intensified in August 1976 when previously interviewed acquaintance made a startling admission. She told police she had sent the two telegrams... one to Kathy's family, the other to Kathy's friend in charge of the children.

She said she had sent the telegrams because, "Kathy had asked me to," saying she would explain the reasons later.

"Things just don't add up," Cipollini said. "That's why I rally think she was murdered." Going one step further, Cipollini said he will now try for a grand jury investigation into Katherine Jones case.

Taken from: DuBois Courier Express 4/28/1989
---------------------------------------

I don't understand why the police did not get more information from the woman that claims she sent the telegrams!!! Why would they drop the ball? Where did that woman see her? Did she call the woman or tell her in person? Did that woman know about the man in the red VW? Why did her family seem so disinterested? They got wires but threw them out? They never called police about them? Why? What happened to her car??? It says she was at the friends and took her clothing out of the car and put it in this boyfriends car. So what happened to her car? why was it left at the friends? Was it left there? So many unanswered questions. How about the woman that said she sent a telegram but would tell them later why she did. Did she ever tell them? If not, why not? Why was she allowed not to tell them?? I know no one will ever see this because its so old but had to get it off my chest.

I have to agree that it seems as if the ball was dropped, however, this was a different time. I think they should do another search up around the Smokerun area. Her children deserve some closure...

Robert Evans comes to mind here...

Last seen alive: September 27, 1974

Katherine Ann Jones, age 29
Missing since 27 September 1974 from Clearfield County, PA

Circumstances: On September 27, 1974, Katherine Jones disappeared allegedly with a man to whom she reportedly said she was engaged. She left her four children from a previous marriage with a friend for safe keeping while she was away. The children never heard from their mother again. According to Jones' family, she never mentioned leaving the area to get married.

At the time of the initial investigation, however, family members told police they had received a note believed to have been from Kathy, saying she had left her children with a family because she had left to get married. The note also stated that Kathy would return in October for her four children. Family members told police they did no know who Kathy had been dating or with whom she had left the area.

An acquaintance of Kathy's told law enforcement officers that Kathy came to her home September 27, but never mentioned leaving town. The woman noted that Kathy did appear happy that day. She said a man with dark hair and a mustache driving a red Volkswagen pulled up to her house. Kathy put clothes from her car into his and the two drove away. A previously interviewed acquaintance told police in August 1976 that she was the one who had sent the two telegrams to Kathy's family and to Kathy's friend in charge of the children. She said she had sent the telegrams because Kathy had asked her to.

Foul play is feared. She was reported missing on October 14, 1974.

First Name: Katherine Ann
Middle Name: Ann
Last Name: Jones

Details​

Age When Last Known Alive: 29
Race: White
Ethnicity: Other
Sex: Female
Height: 50.0 to
Weight: 104.0 to

Location​

City: Clearfield
State: Pennsylvania
County: Clearfield

Appearance​

Hair: Brown
Head Hair: brown
Eye: Green

Clothing and Accessories​

Transportation​

Vehicle Make: Volkswagen
Vehicle Model: 113
Vehicle Color: Red

Red Volkswagen similar to the one driven by Katherine Jones.

LINK:

Katherine has been missing for over 48 years.

Correction to my last post (#33): The red Volkswagen is similar to the one the male person of interest was driving, and which Katherine entered when last seen.

There are some details that intrigued me:
- There are two versions about her departure:
1. She left her children with a friend saying she would be back soon.
2. Her children came back home and discovered their mother was missing, so the oldest child phoned her mother's friend and she stayed with them until family informed LE about Kathy's disappearance (14th of October).

- The acquaintance who saw her entering a red VW with an unidentified man is the same who sent the telegrams... Can we really trust her testimony? It appears she is trying to direct the investigation far from her, although it appears the only statement that mentions a boyfriend/fiancé is hers.

It would be great to know more about this woman and her relationship with Kathy.

Has this UID already been ruled out?

Last edited:

jones_katherine.jpg

Katherine Ann Jones, 29,​

Missing since 1974​

LINK:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics