GUILTY PA - Nalani Johnson, 2, Penn Hills Boro, Allegheny County, 31 Aug 2019 *Arrest* #2

IMHO, I truly don't think it was dehydration and I could be completely wrong. There are always quite a few stories where little ones are found alive after being lost in the woods for days by themselves or God forbid home alone for days with deceased overdosed parents.
SBM.
Moving over in your not dehydration camp after the DA was quoted in the paper this morning that they were at Kennywood amusement park. Drinks, food at every turn.

Hopefully the autopsy comes out today and we at least hear the COD. Not that we need to hear everything but maybe just the immediate cause.
I was glad to hear today that Nalani was maybe deceased prior to being placed in the woods. I could not sleep last night thinking about the poor baby girl being in the woods, in the dark during a terrible storm. I could not imagine how someone who has children herself could do this to a child. It is just heartbreaking. My head hurts thinking about this.

Did you see the medical examiner(I believe it was him)'s quote that the COD/autopsy result would put LE's minds at ease? Any ideas on what that could possibly mean?

Has anyone seen that map with times on it from the press conference Tuesday? I’ve been searching but nothing I’ve found.
If we have an updated timeline from Sat - Tues, and if no one else has made a map with pins and time frames, I’ll take a try at it.

Did you see the medical examiner(I believe it was him)'s quote that the COD/autopsy result would put LE's minds at ease? Any ideas on what that could possibly mean?
IMO I took it to mean that all those people searching then feeling defeated like they didn’t find her alive in time can rest easier knowing her out there sitting alive wasn’t the case. JMO. What do you think?

IMO I took it to mean that all those people searching then feeling defeated like they didn’t find her alive in time can rest easier knowing her out there sitting alive wasn’t the case. JMO. What do you think?

I didn't really know how to take it, but the way you explained it makes a lot of sense and I'm gonna second that line of thinking. I can't think of a different meaning other than the one you laid out.

from post-gazette

“As directed by the Indiana County coroner, Nalani's autopsy was performed Wednesday by a contracted forensic pathologist, who ruled that the manner of death was homicide. But the physician will not give a cause of death until he reviews the toddler's medical records and runs a few more tests, Mr. Zappala said. That could take up to 5 weeks.”

Not sure we will have any answers just yet.

Allegheny County and Indiana County District Attorneys Statement: Indiana County District Attorney's Office
From the link:

The "expectation" is that the manner of death will be homicide.

All charges will be prosecuted by the Allegheny DA with the Indiana DA having a significant partnership role.

69469340_1301629480003676_5091772205734297600_n.jpg

SEPT 5, 2019
NALANI JOHNSON: Death of child who was reported kidnapped ruled a homicide
[...]

The Allegheny County District Attorney's Office released a statement Thursday that said: "Although the cause and manner of death for Nalani Johnson are pending further test results by the Indiana County Coroner, the expectation is that the manner of death will be homicide."

Officials involved in the investigation met Wednesday afternoon to discuss the details of the case and how to proceed moving forward.

According to the Allegheny County District Attorney's Office, all charges resulting from Johnson's death will be prosecuted in Allegheny County, with the Indiana County District Attorney's Office "having a significant partnership role in the prosecution."

[...]

The MSM “link” is the video of Nalani’s grandmother staying Nalani’s father didn’t know the “driver”. She is the one who said he didn’t know the driver, which means the father told his mother that he didn’t know her, which is now proven to be a lie.

I said that we know two things: Nalani is dead and her father is a liar. That still stands and I think I’ve indicated what proves that.

Someone said he probably lied to his mom because he didn’t want her to know about his relationship, and maybe he did, but either way he still lied, and if he really cared about his daughter he wouldn’t be lying to anyone about anything. When your daughter is “kidnapped” and you’re still concealing information, you don’t really have your daughter’s best interest at heart. That’s what I meant when I said it would be lame and stupid for him to be lying to his mother; I didn’t mean it as an insult toward the person suggesting he had lied to his mother.

I know we don’t have info from police that he lied to them but I think it’s a fairly safe assumption because the initial information released in the Amber Alert was being reported that the father and his friend were in an Uber/Lyft and “the driver” of the vehicle drove away when the father got out of the car. The truth is the father, his friend, and Nalani were driving around with SN, he wasn’t paying her for a ride to or from anywhere but based on what police told us, that’s what he told police. So I consider that a pretty good indication of his dishonesty as well if that is what happened. Maybe police left some pieces out at the beginning,

I’d say it’s pretty clear police don’t believe she acted alone. It won’t be long until we have the truth.

We don't know what he first told police. The alert rightfully referred to the stickers because they're identifying features.

I have followed this case from Day 1 but not commented until now.

I so hoped in this case there might be a different outcome as they quickly knew she was taken, who took her, located her, etc. so I had hope the child was alive especially once hearing the parties knew each other, that she was not really harmed but she tried to worry him.

Absolutely heartbreaking. What is wrong with people?? How many times have we said that...?

I take a little bit of heart in their saying she died Saturday. I think it likely rules out dehydration and hopefully means she was not trapped in a car seat outside by herself for any length of time--not that the scenario that did occur may be any better but I hope it is and that she did not suffer.

A lot of questions here yet and I am hoping we do not wait too long for some more answers.

Jmo.

This one has more information than the short one I posted earlier this morning. Also states that they were at Kennywood for the afternoon. Kennywood is a local amusement park.
Another noteable comment from article that should give us here comfort (IMO means she wasn’t out there all alone, alive, scared all that time): Mr. Zappala would not reveal what preliminary autopsy results showed, but he did say that, for the scores of officers and volunteers who searched along the Route 22 corridor for nearly three days hoping to find Nalani alive, "it probably will put their minds at ease."

God, I hope and pray that Nalani did not suffer by herself out in those storms and in the dark. When I read that that was a possibility, I wanted to cry and throw up at the same time. It is unimaginable. Not that what happened to her is necessarily any better, but if she was suffocated at least I hope it was fast. Like many of you, I'm not sure I can follow this one...but yet, I keep coming back. I'm just beside myself. Maybe it's because I live in Pittsburgh, I don't know, but I can't recall a case that affected me as much as this.

from post-gazette

“As directed by the Indiana County coroner, Nalani's autopsy was performed Wednesday by a contracted forensic pathologist, who ruled that the manner of death was homicide. But the physician will not give a cause of death until he reviews the toddler's medical records and runs a few more tests, Mr. Zappala said. That could take up to 5 weeks.”

Referencing: Penn Hills toddler death ruled homicide; DA says no signs of trauma

The MSM “link” is the video of Nalani’s grandmother staying Nalani’s father didn’t know the “driver”. She is the one who said he didn’t know the driver, which means the father told his mother that he didn’t know her, which is now proven to be a lie.

I said that we know two things: Nalani is dead and her father is a liar. That still stands and I think I’ve indicated what proves that.

Someone said he probably lied to his mom because he didn’t want her to know about his relationship, and maybe he did, but either way he still lied, and if he really cared about his daughter he wouldn’t be lying to anyone about anything. When your daughter is “kidnapped” and you’re still concealing information, you don’t really have your daughter’s best interest at heart. That’s what I meant when I said it would be lame and stupid for him to be lying to his mother; I didn’t mean it as an insult toward the person suggesting he had lied to his mother.

I know we don’t have info from police that he lied to them but I think it’s a fairly safe assumption because the initial information released in the Amber Alert was being reported that the father and his friend were in an Uber/Lyft and “the driver” of the vehicle drove away when the father got out of the car. The truth is the father, his friend, and Nalani were driving around with SN, he wasn’t paying her for a ride to or from anywhere but based on what police told us, that’s what he told police. So I consider that a pretty good indication of his dishonesty as well if that is what happened. Maybe police left some pieces out at the beginning,

I’d say it’s pretty clear police don’t believe she acted alone. It won’t be long until we have the truth.

RBBM -- I have a question concerning this statement. If his mother said that he didn't know the "driver", how do we know he lied to her and told her that? How do we know she didn't come up with that on her own?

Secondly, lying =/= murder.

We don't know what he first told police. The alert rightfully referred to the stickers because they're identifying features.

Exactly, we don't know what discussions he has had with police. Sure doesn't stop people from making up their own conversations that took place between him and LE.

from post-gazette

How's that setting our minds "at ease"? I thought if she was left out there alive to die, that would still be homicide.... so....?

ETA ok, upon reading further... I get it, I think...they feel she died Saturday? So she probably wasn't left out there alive?

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunny417