Identified! PA - Philadelphia, 'Boy in the Box', WhtMale 4-6, 4UMPA, Feb'57

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if isotopes were ever done on him at the chance he was from somewhere else? I recently learned about the orphan trains that didn't do through background checks on adoptees but that ended in 1929 almost 30 years prior to boy in the box. It is also possible if he was adopted that it could have been legal. Could he even have been a hospital kidnapping victim? There is also the theory he was being brought up as a girl being his hair was cut and he wasn't dressed when found. Frank Bender developed this theory due to the choppy last minute hair cut. Maybe his mother had a mental illness and had wanted a girl? Also his parent could have been on the run and disguised him as a girl. Another thing I wondered was why did they do a bust for what his father may have looked like when it is possible his father wasn't aware he had a child. The hat and hankerchief could be unrelated. If the foster home theory rings true it's possible his mother was underaged or unwed. From what we do know is that he was likely born in a hospital and not undocumented (like a home-birth or homeless mother) is because he has potential surgical scars on his groin, chest, and ankle. What condition would cause such surgeries?
4UMPA

A thought I had was if he does get identified, since this case was 60 years ago, that his family might not want to release his name to not have their family publicly associated with a child's murder. But would they have that opinion in an older case like this? If he was adopted illegally we may never know the identity of his killer.
Correction: it could NOT have been legal.

In M s story, she claims the boy was sexually abused. Is there any proof that bib was sexually abused prior to his death?
I feel if M s story was correct. They would be closed and solved by now.

I wonder if he was one of the kids trafficked by the Irish Catholic Church into the US without proper (if any) vetting done.

'Sold to the highest bidder' - how Ireland's institutions allowed Americans to adopt Irish children in the 1950s

Or one of the kids trafficked by the Tennessee Children’s Home Society.

https://nypost.com/2017/06/17/this-woman-stole-children-from-the-poor-to-give-to-the-rich/

Now see I think you’re on to something. Maybe not this particular thing but human trafficking none the less.

Has anyone heard if they got any DNA relative matches with Barbara Rae Venter or can anyone find out on The boy in the box..It's been awhile now.I'm sure some relative matches must have been found.I hope they do an update on him soon.Very sad.Golden State Killer: The woman instrumental in his capture

Judging by the recent movement/progress (Nov 18 - Present) by her towards identifying the Bearbrook A4 victims in the barrels, she might not have been actively working this one. Active case for her, but not 'active' kind of.

Sorry about the unintended bolding.
The 'Boy in the Box': Will 2019 Be the Year We Get Answers About the Famous Unsolved Murder?
January 07, 2019 by Hilary Shenfeld
“I believe it would take an out-of-the-blue surprise to ever identify the boy and then, possibly, find out who killed him,” says David Stout, a former New York Times reporter and author of the 2008 book The Boy in the Box: The Unsolved Case Of America’s Unknown Child."

"Stout tells A&E Real Crime that DNA testing might be possible if such a revelation ever emerges, perhaps by way of an older person coming forward to say it was their own mother or father who killed him, or someone else who claims to be a long-lost relative of the child."

"One apparently newer line of investigation appears underway in the hunt for evidence to unlock vital clues. Amateur genealogy expert Barbara Rae-Venter, who helped crack the Golden State Killer case using DNA and genetic research, confirmed to The Mercury News in August 2018 that she is working on the “Boy in the Box” case."
"It’s clear the Vidocq Society still wants answers. An “urgent” request from the organization seeks input from anyone who could hold pieces of the puzzle. The society is asking those aged 55 or older if they remember from the early 1950s a young boy possibly named Jonathan living in or within a 40-mile radius of Philadelphia. They also are hoping for tips from current or retired physicians who may have treated such a boy for a condition that would have left scars in the groin area and the ankles.

“Someone out there knows who this child was!,” the society said on their site.

“Could that ‘someone’ be you?”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member