PA PA - Ray Gricar, 59, Bellefonte, 15 April 2005 - #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, we arrived at the same conclusion, however I had been wrong early on with what I knew. SeekingJana had offered some valuable insight as well. After doing more research from Googling about, I became more aware just how far along technologies had become for adequate erasure for a hard drive.

Sorry, I had forgotten Jana's involvement. Apologies all around.

Here is the site I was thinking about: http://www.drivesaversdatarecovery.com/company-info/museum-of-bizarre-disk-asters/

One was literally run over by a shuttle bus at the Boston airport. This company recovered all the data from the hard drive. :) Water, I'm told, is the real killer.

Sorry, I had forgotten Jana's involvement. Apologies all around.

Here is the site I was thinking about: http://www.drivesaversdatarecovery.com/company-info/museum-of-bizarre-disk-asters/

One was literally run over by a shuttle bus at the Boston airport. This company recovered all the data from the hard drive. :) Water, I'm told, is the real killer.

I just found out something else interesting about a wet hard drive...like drying it out afterwards :

http://www.storagesearch.com/disklabs-art3-floods.html

Good find.

When they found it, it was out of the water and may have dried. I'll bet they didn't keep it wet in any event.

Bingo. And if you recall accounts by LE regarding the laptop itself, they had indicated how the laptop began to disintegrate/degrade as it dried out. Much the same for the data on the hard drive, eh ?

Bingo. And if you recall accounts by LE regarding the laptop itself, they had indicated how the laptop began to disintegrate/degrade as it dried out. Much the same for the data on the hard drive, eh ?

Except it was partially dried out, at least, when found; they found it in mud. Maybe someone who knows what they are doing (CJ) can give us the low watermark.

How cheeky of you, JJ. Shall we do the limbo ? LmaO !!!

Will you join us, CJ ? :)

Machiavelli wrote The Prince:

“Because there are three classes of intellects: one which comprehends by itself; another which appreciates what others comprehend; and a third which neither comprehends by itself nor by the showing of others; the first is the most excellent, the second is good, the third is useless.”

While I might come off as the first type, I'm actually the second. And I know when I'm outclassed. :) I'll yield to CJ on this one.

How cheeky of you, JJ. Shall we do the limbo ? LmaO !!!

Will you join us, CJ ? :)

I love to dance, so you know that I am right here~~ Let me grab my shoes!:blushing:

I did take a Computer Forensics class, and a wet hard drive never was a topic for discussion. (and yep, i sold my book back~~lol)...I WILL email my professor in the morning and ask him lots of questions :)...

Machiavelli wrote The Prince:

“Because there are three classes of intellects: one which comprehends by itself; another which appreciates what others comprehend; and a third which neither comprehends by itself nor by the showing of others; the first is the most excellent, the second is good, the third is useless.”

While I might come off as the first type, I'm actually the second. And I know when I'm outclassed. :) I'll yield to CJ on this one.

And I may have to yield to the 3rd category, awaiting abstyr's reply !

But the cyber forensic experts at HDRC are much more intelligent than the accused that they even recollect the data from the wet laptops or hard disks .

http://www.hdrconline.com/forensic-services.php

Thank you. What JJ and I had discussed was the data recovery problem that "drying out" the hard drive presents. That same information is presented in the useful link you have provided. :)

It is not just getting the hard drive wet, but when it becomes dry, the data is then lost, in short.

Thank you. What JJ and I had discussed was the data recovery problem that "drying out" the hard drive presents. That same information is presented in the useful link you have provided. :)

It is not just getting the hard drive wet, but when it becomes dry, the data is then lost, in short.

Well , here is the "rub" that I have found.

Make sure you place your drive submersed in water in a sealed container to prevent further corrosion. The drive must reach us immersed in water to save your data.

http://www.hdrconline.com/water-damaged-hard-disk-data-recovery-services.php

I would have to believe that if HDRC knows hot to prevent data loss, the FBI certainly would also?! IIRC, the hard drive was sent to the FBI-NOT immersed in water-and of course not sealed in an air-tight container.

Shoule we believe that this is another "coincidencs" in this case?

This might be a long dance, hope you drank lots of coffee , today!!

Make sure you place your drive submersed in water in a sealed container to prevent further corrosion. The drive must reach us immersed in water to save your data.

I would have to believe that if HDRC knows hot to prevent data loss, the FBI certainly would also?! IIRC, the hard drive was sent to the FBI-NOT immersed in water-and of course not sealed in an air-tight container.

It was damp, but out of the water when found. It was in mud, and could have been in and out of the water for months. :( The river level was not constant.

No 'rub' at all. Re-read JJ's Post #464 above. Along with that, we are speaking of data recovery technology circa 2005. My opinion is also that the hard drive was received by the FBI and the others in a dried out condition. It is the process of having been wet, THEN dried out that destroyed the data. I don't see coincidences here. That is just how it went down...LE and others did not know those things.

Will save the Java for the AM !!! :)

By the way, this afternoon I found an old laptop in my garage. It is probably mid-late 1990s and is non-functional, but it looked like it would be similar enough to a 2003-04 era laptop in terms of the case etc. that it might behave similarly in water... Maybe I will check the density and sink it in the bathtub! I was going to get rid of it anyway. Actually it's my wife's but she wouldn't miss it. Though it might be hard to explain to her why I would do something like give it a bath!

I will check the low water levels during late spring to early fall 2005 for Lewisburg.

By the way, this afternoon I found an old laptop in my garage. It is probably mid-late 1990s and is non-functional, but it looked like it would be similar enough to a 2003-04 era laptop in terms of the case etc. that it might behave similarly in water... Maybe I will check the density and sink it in the bathtub! I was going to get rid of it anyway. Actually it's my wife's but she wouldn't miss it. Though it might be hard to explain to her why I would do something like give it a bath!

I will check the low water levels during late spring to early fall 2005 for Lewisburg.

Thank you. I think it was found on 9/23.

I do recall checking Weather Underground and finding some heavy rains earlier in the month, before it was found. The two weeks prior to the find, virtually nothing. August was fairly dry. I hope that helps.

I love to dance, so you know that I am right here~~ Let me grab my shoes!:blushing:

I did take a Computer Forensics class, and a wet hard drive never was a topic for discussion. (and yep, i sold my book back~~lol)...I WILL email my professor in the morning and ask him lots of questions :)...

Baby girl, let me tell ya-- You do the limbo barefoot. :)
You don't want any extra height.
~~ From the tallest female limbo dancer at the party. :rocker:

I'd be very surprised if there is a connection. I'm not aware of any evidence linking duPont to children or young adolescents in a sexual way. His primary interests were wrestling, and hoity-toit pursuits such as birds, stamps, etc. Being from the eastern part of the state, he, to the best of my knowledge, had no connection to the Second Mile, or anything PSU-related. While I cannot rule out a Sandusky connection, I just don't see any common ground. He was also bouncing between prisons and a forensic unit in a State Hospital during the times when Sandusky was victimizing individuals. His mental health status was subject to debate. He was found GBMI. Working in the mental health field, a former co-worker said they had spoken with someone from the forensic unit at the time who claimed he seemed to have the ability to be quite lucid when he chose to. He did improve while there, but as he died in prison the other year, I don't suppose there's much to follow in the way of potential leads.

Honey, not to beat a dead horse or a dead Dupont, but are you aware that, much like Sandusky with TSM, Dupont had a very elite room and board type of training facility at the Duport mansion for several years where young ( very young) males trained with Schultz and Dupont was right in the thick of it? Not saying he abused anyone, but my hinky meter went ZOOM when I learned it.
The young guys would be very vunerable since they were living with Dupont, even if they could wrestle..

:truce: JMO, Jana, Maria or whatever someone wants to call me these days-- within reason :)

No 'rub' at all. Re-read JJ's Post #464 above. Along with that, we are speaking of data recovery technology circa 2005. My opinion is also that the hard drive was received by the FBI and the others in a dried out condition. It is the process of having been wet, THEN dried out that destroyed the data. I don't see coincidences here. That is just how it went down...LE and others did not know those things.

Will save the Java for the AM !!! :)

JMO, but I am old enough to remember when Tang was a breakfast treat and people thought " freeze dried coffee" was a novelty.

Point being, our country apparently has a long history with drying, then re-wetting things successfully. I appreciate that you qualified your post with the 2005 tech practices.

It is my sincere hope that technology will progress swiftly to the point of " filling in" the dried ( whatever is inside a HD) with a re-hydrating and recovery procedure. Nothing in computer forensics seems to be impossible.. The space shuttle Columbia burned up right over my house and we know that Kroll was able to recover its data.

Have faith. The only thing is.. what if they re-hydrate this HD and it isn't Ray's after all? Just OMG. :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kelc3769