PA - Rebekah Byler, 23, mother & six months pregnant, murdered, Crawford County, 26 Feb 2024 *Arrest*

imstilla.grandma

Believer of Miracles
Reaction score
CRAWFORD COUNTY, Penn. (WJET) – A murder investigation is underway at an Amish home in Crawford County, and Monday night state police asked for the public’s help finding a suspect.

State police said they were called to a home in the 21000 block of Fish Flats Road at 12:31 p.m. Monday.

Neighbors told FOX 8’s sister station, WJET, that a young Amish couple lives in the home. According to investigators, the victim was in her early 20s and her two young children were in the home when the body was discovered.

Neighbors said the victim’s husband came home around noon and found the body. Family members said the victim was six months pregnant.

Her name is Rebekah A. Byler and she was 23-year's-old.
Family members said that a red jeep was seen in the driveway and driving up and down the road.

Last edited:
The latest ...

"Weindorf said investigators are looking into the whereabouts and movements of Byler and her family in the 24 hours prior to her body's discovery or in the recent past. They are also asking for the public's help in providing any relevant information as the investigation continues.

State police in Corry learned of Byler's death shortly before 12:30 p.m. Monday, when troopers were sent to a residence on Fish Flats Road, which runs from Centerville northeast to Route 89 south of Spartansburg.

State police said Monday night they are investigating all available leads, and they asked the public to report any suspicious people, vehicles or activity in the area of Fish Flats Road."

Map

This seems targeted. So, who had a problem with her? One of her ex's? An ex of her husband? Seems weird to wait this long to do something.
I don't think devout Amish girls tend to have a string of exes.

I think maybe this is sexually motivated, but not because of a former relationship. I think this might be a predator who fixated on her or possibly chose her at random, watching the home and striking when her husband was gone.

MOO

State police did not say how Byler died. Her autopsy was scheduled for Tuesday afternoon, the Times-News reported.

“It looks like suspicious circumstances,” Weindorf told WJET.

Relatives told the station that a red Jeep was spotted in the driveway at Byler’s home around 10 a.m. Tuesday. The motorized vehicle was also spotted driving up and down the road, which usually only sees Amish horse and buggy traffic, according to WJET.

“I said, ‘Let’s hope when I come around the corner there’s not a person in sight,'” a man who drove for the family told WJET. “And it was just packed. I said, ‘Oh my god.’ I just can’t believe it. Why would someone do that to a young girl?”

I think maybe this is sexually motivated, but not because of a former relationship. I think this might be a predator who fixated on her or possibly chose her at random, watching the home and striking when her husband was gone.

MOO
Yea, I didnt think she had many ex's. I'm aware of how the Amish live. Just thinking that maybe one of the ex's was still obsessed and went after her. I'm not sure of how large their community is but I know that options may be limited? That sounds horrible but I dont mean it to be. Maybe a "He/She was mine first!" JMO

Yea, I didnt think she had many ex's. I'm aware of how the Amish live. Just thinking that maybe one of the ex's was still obsessed and went after her. I'm not sure of how large their community is but I know that options may be limited? That sounds horrible but I dont mean it to be. Maybe a "He/She was mine first!" JMO

MOO
That was my first thought as well. Someone saw her when she was away from home, they fixated on her, figured out where she lived, and figured out her husband's routine.

State police did not say how Byler died. Her autopsy was scheduled for Tuesday afternoon, the Times-News reported.

“It looks like suspicious circumstances,” Weindorf told WJET.

Relatives told the station that a red Jeep was spotted in the driveway at Byler’s home around 10 a.m. Tuesday. The motorized vehicle was also spotted driving up and down the road, which usually only sees Amish horse and buggy traffic, according to WJET.

“I said, ‘Let’s hope when I come around the corner there’s not a person in sight,'” a man who drove for the family told WJET. “And it was just packed. I said, ‘Oh my god.’ I just can’t believe it. Why would someone do that to a young girl?”

A street where there's unlikely to be any security camera footage.

MOO. Fortunately the red Jeep stuck out like a sore thumb so it shouldn’t take long for LE to track it down. A young woman, at home with her children, the one place where we should feel safe. But nowhere is safe and that makes me angry. I’m so sorry this happened to you Rebekah and my heart breaks for your little ones.

Rebekah A. Byler, F/23

Similar County [Dauphin] MannerS of Death:
Natural 57% ::: Accidental 32% ::: Suicide 6% ::: Homicide 4% :::
via: https://www.dauphincounty.gov/docs/...d-Of-Year-Reports/2022-End-of-Year-Report.pdf Page 9

We Await the Crawford County Coroner's Report, of course.

Last edited:
This isn’t a very populated area of the state, FWIW. Right or wrong, a lot of people assume that Amish people keep large amount of cash in their homes. I’m thinking it could be a robbery that went bad.
Either that or they had a business on their property or was selling something like eggs or quilts, etc. Either way it still could have been a robbery & IMO an assault.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back