GUILTY PA - Robert Winston for abuse of baby corpses, McKeesport, 2005

Gozgals said:
I would like to know what the outcome is after he goes to trial. I hope he is afforded a full sentence. I think he should be charged with murder-this is just my opinion all. I find it horrifying to think the infants were alive in boxes and stored in the garage. This is just to pitiful to comprehend at any level. Also, I agree that he should have been charged for all counts.
This reminds me of the case in GA where the cemetery director, (or whatever he is called) did not bury the said bodies of over a hundred people, yet I find this to be worse.
What offends me more is the attorney seems to give credence to this mans background as if he anyone cares that he was or is an outstanding citizen.

Quote: He has led an exemplary life until this particular time," Mr. Ecker told reporters after the arraignment, as Mr. Winston stood by his side with a stoic expression. Mr. Ecker added that he hoped his client would be granted a second chance." Quote

PLEASE!

Gozgals
Uh...I don't think you read the article correctly. The guy is a mortician. These were already dead infant--the results of stillbirths or died within moments/minutes/hours of birth.

Casshew said:
To add to the horror of this story - phrases like he was paid by the pound just turn my stomach :sick:

Like a darn side of beef or something....paid for by the pound! How darn cold and heartless is that on everyone's part.

I don't understand why the hospital would be handling the babies that were born and lived for a short time. It has always been my understanding that you had to have a buriel for the babies. Where were the parents of the babies that lived for a short while? Did they agree to just let their little bodies be hauled off and cremated.....and that was it?

If I had ever had a baby who died shortly after birth I would have named it, dressed it in a little pj outfit and blanket...had a little service for family and friends and a buriel. I don't understand why the parents seem to be out of the loop here. Even if the babies were stillborn I would still have done something and buried it with a headstone.

BillyGoatGruff said:
Uh...I don't think you read the article correctly. The guy is a mortician. These were already dead infant--the results of stillbirths or died within moments/minutes/hours of birth.
Thanks BGoat- I think I got it the first time I mentioned I was confused, but always nice when somebody points it out....thank you, the eye @- must be giving me a tad bit of a uh problem.... but getting back to the point--

BobbisAngel:Quote
If I had ever had a baby who died shortly after birth I would have named it, dressed it in a little pj outfit and blanket...had a little service for family and friends and a buriel. I don't understand why the parents seem to be out of the loop here. Even if the babies were stillborn I would still have done something and buried it with a headstone.Quote:

I so agree. My heartfelt sorrow to those here who lost children at birth. A loss such as this one never gets over.
As the quote above states: many of us would dress our baby and name it if it died at birth.

Animals ARE treated with more dignity than this animal treated these corpses!

I agree that there is no difference between a baby that passed on after being born and a baby who was stillborn, I mean honestly, you carried that baby for how long? Imagined a future for them... I don't understand why people don't think that a still born baby doesn't 'count'. I would be devastated. You didn't even get to see them live at all. How heartbreaking and I feel for you who have had the horrible experience of living through that. I can't even begin to imagine some parents who KNOW their baby has died while still inside of them and have to carry them for a while before having them. What a total horrible thing that must be to go through.

Bobbisangel said:
Like a darn side of beef or something....paid for by the pound! How darn cold and heartless is that on everyone's part.

I don't understand why the hospital would be handling the babies that were born and lived for a short time. It has always been my understanding that you had to have a buriel for the babies. Where were the parents of the babies that lived for a short while? Did they agree to just let their little bodies be hauled off and cremated.....and that was it?

If I had ever had a baby who died shortly after birth I would have named it, dressed it in a little pj outfit and blanket...had a little service for family and friends and a buriel. I don't understand why the parents seem to be out of the loop here. Even if the babies were stillborn I would still have done something and buried it with a headstone.

You have this option, even with a very early miscarriage or an ectopic pregnancy. I know people who have done this, although the medical community does tend to view this as strange. BUT, you have to make your feelings known and possibly insist (depending on the hospital and nurses - as always, some are better than others).

But hospitals also give the option of a "hospital disposition" which is where they do these group cremations after the pathology is finished. It is often the only option for young couples who do not have the financial resources to pay for a funeral. Also, some people are worried that they may move and don't want to leave the baby in a cemetery in a far away city. Unfortunately, many doctors and even family members tend to push this choice, incorrectly assuming that it will be easier to forget. It makes the loss seem more like a medical procedure than the death of a child.

Sadly the families are pressured to make these decisions very quickly, usually at the same time they find out about the loss of the baby, and are rarely told about other, less expensive options. For example, most places that can do a cremation will do an infant at the same time as an adult and block off the bodies so the ashes are separated. The ones I have worked with charge little or nothing to do so.

Every family should have someone to help them with these decisions.

angelmom said:
Thanks. I find it amazing to hear how many families have suffered these types of losses when I consider how utterly alone I felt at the time.

I know that utterly alone feeling. I hate that anyone ever has to feel that kind of pain.

MistyM said:
I agree that there is no difference between a baby that passed on after being born and a baby who was stillborn, I mean honestly, you carried that baby for how long? Imagined a future for them... I don't understand why people don't think that a still born baby doesn't 'count'. I would be devastated. You didn't even get to see them live at all. How heartbreaking and I feel for you who have had the horrible experience of living through that. I can't even begin to imagine some parents who KNOW their baby has died while still inside of them and have to carry them for a while before having them. What a total horrible thing that must be to go through.

Thank you. It is very devastating to lose a baby you have carried for so long, seen on ultrasounds, etc.. It just adds insult to injury when family members brush it off and say you can have more, or change the subject if you mention your children. They don't understand that if you bring it up, it's because you want them remembered.

I have never heard of this story, but am sickened by it. How could ANYONE live with something like that in their garage? And then to blame it on something as stupid as divorce and financial problems? The 300+ figure is stated at the bottom of the article. I don't know how this guy got off as light as he did.

PITTSBURGH — An ex-funeral director who stored the corpses of 19 babies in bags and plastic containers in his garage pleaded guilty to theft and abusing a corpse.
Prosecutors withdrew 18 counts of abuse of a corpse against Robert B. Winston Jr., 62, of McKeesport, saying the case essentially involved theft because Winston was paid to have the remains cremated.
In pleading guilty Monday to the remaining charges, Winston agreed to pay $8,910 in restitution for not properly disposing of the bodies.
Prosecutor Janet Necessary said she expects Winston will receive probation when he is sentenced Sept. 6.
The remains came from women treated at Magee-Womens Hospital from late 2000 through May 2002. Prosecutors said Winston was paid $45 to dispose of the remains of each fetus older than 16 gestational weeks and $1 a pound to handle the others.
His divorce and financial problems led him to store the remains in his garage after he accepted payment from Magee-Womens, prosecutors said. (more at link)
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,286716,00.html

Reminds me of that case in Georgia, where they were just ditching the bodies that were supposed to be cremated into the woods. Some people have no respect whatsoever..

Reminds me of that case in Georgia, where they were just ditching the bodies that were supposed to be cremated into the woods. Some people have no respect whatsoever..

yea I live in GA, I remember that case well.

I remember that one.

Why did his ex just now speak up about it? She should be charged with something too.

I have never heard of this story, but am sickened by it. How could ANYONE live with something like that in their garage? And then to blame it on something as stupid as divorce and financial problems? The 300+ figure is stated at the bottom of the article. I don't know how this guy got off as light as he did.

PITTSBURGH — An ex-funeral director who stored the corpses of 19 babies in bags and plastic containers in his garage pleaded guilty to theft and abusing a corpse.
Prosecutors withdrew 18 counts of abuse of a corpse against Robert B. Winston Jr., 62, of McKeesport, saying the case essentially involved theft because Winston was paid to have the remains cremated.
In pleading guilty Monday to the remaining charges, Winston agreed to pay $8,910 in restitution for not properly disposing of the bodies.
Prosecutor Janet Necessary said she expects Winston will receive probation when he is sentenced Sept. 6.
The remains came from women treated at Magee-Womens Hospital from late 2000 through May 2002. Prosecutors said Winston was paid $45 to dispose of the remains of each fetus older than 16 gestational weeks and $1 a pound to handle the others.
His divorce and financial problems led him to store the remains in his garage after he accepted payment from Magee-Womens, prosecutors said. (more at link)
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,286716,00.html

I wonder how much it costs to cremate someone vs. storing them in your garage when you include transportation costs and housing costs for 5-7 years (!). And why didn't he dump them in the woods for the carnivores if he wanted the cheap way out? There's something more than a financial motive here. A psych eval would be interesting.

Crypto6

I hate to sound disgusting...but wouldn't these fetuses start to smell after awhile?

Reminds me of that case too. The guy who botched up that (Tri State Crematorium, I believe) did turn out to have some sort of disorder and truly got overwhelmed. I'm not making an excuse for him, but that dude was truly in over his head.

There is something wrong with this guy too. Why did he not just dump them in dumpsters after he picked them up if he had so little regard for them as remains?

i have posted before that my first child was still born. when my child was born the nurse told me that i could pay for a funeral or the hospital would have the baby cremated for me. i was almost 8 months along at this point. we already knew his name and had set up his crib. it is very expensive to bury some1 without any insurance. we were able to borrow from our jobs and friends to pay for the burial. i would think many people can not. the thought that my son could be 1 of these poor children hurts more than words can express. when you know your child has died inside you it is a tragedy. when you know some1 treated it like garbage it is a outrage.

i have posted before that my first child was still born. when my child was born the nurse told me that i could pay for a funeral or the hospital would have the baby cremated for me. i was almost 8 months along at this point. we already knew his name and had set up his crib. it is very expensive to bury some1 without any insurance. we were able to borrow from our jobs and friends to pay for the burial. i would think many people can not. the thought that my son could be 1 of these poor children hurts more than words can express. when you know your child has died inside you it is a tragedy. when you know some1 treated it like garbage it is a outrage.

Sherri, I agree. I lost twins at 21 weeks that we had a private funeral for. But prior to that, I lost a son at 18 weeks that we left for the hospital to care for. I cannot fathom how I would feel right now if I knew I delivered at that hospital. Sickening!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back