PA PA - Shaun Ritterson, 20, Bucks County, 10 June 1977

Please share what you have.
I am new to posting on WebSleuths, although I have been reading and in awe of the work being done here for quite some time. I want to share but how can I post jpgs of the original newspaper coverage La Regina and I clipped from microfilm? Should I make a word doc from them and post somehow? Can I provide a link via Google drive? Or do I have to transcribe information?

rsbm

Of course, that must be how it was meant! Makes much more sense. Thanks Betty.
I am looking forward to sharing more information about this murder with anyone interested. Per this question, the father and son were not La Regina's neighbors and they were not the Ritterson's. They were simply a father and son (last name Childs) that said they were looking for a stream while driving over Buckingham Mountain. The father spotted what looked like a body and they turned around and saw her body face down in the leaves. At that point she was a Jane Doe. Her body had been placed over 40 miles away from where she was last seen.

bbm - in the 2012 articles it was not reported like this. It said her father and other family went to the coroner's office and id'd her body there. Which version is correct?

Gutting a body and taking organs is not very common. It would be interesting to know which organs were taken. All? Or just some, for example the female reproductive organs? Cover up of a pregnancy and satanic ritual both popped in my mind as well. If only female organs were taken I would think she might have been pregnant but they would have been able to establish this through a blood test even back then, right?
Yes, I agree with your assessment -- cutting bodies like this and mutilating and removing organs IS rare. The DA's office has never revealed exactly which organs were removed -- they say SOME organs in the 1977 coverage -- but do confirm her HEART was removed. Would the uncle do that? Why spend so much more time with her body with the motive LE presented? And why leave the body like that for people to find? He was an excavator by trade -- why wouldn't he bury her? La Regina interviewed the current DA Matt Weintraub last year and he mentioned this pregnancy theory and did not seem to give it credence. So that made me think there is not evidence to support it.

I think Matt and Laurie did a great job resurrecting this in 2012 for the local paper. Before they brought the story to Matt Weintraub's attention (the DA's office, now the official DA) he had never heard of the case. Unfortunately though, I think there is a lot more to this. I've been researching this case for the last 12 months and there are chilling similarities with some other stabbing, slashing and mutilations in PA during the 70s in Bucks County. Patty Bartlett, Earseline Jones, Simone Grebe are some other cold cases. I really have a lot more questions than answers especially having read the original 1977 coverage via microfilm. The timelines are different. And the nature of the murder could plausibly point to ANOTHER kind of killing and killer. A "piquerist." Someone with a primary sexual interest in stabbing and penetrating the skin of bodies. And mutilating, exploring body cavities and even cannibalism. Someone who views people as objects. Shaun Ritterson was also stabbed in the chest but had defensive wounds on her hands that the Medical Examiner said indicate she may have been eviscerated WHILE STILL ALIVE. This DOES NOT sound like Harry Ritterson. People locally say his main vice was being a drunk, and not a mean one. And it very well COULD BE someone in their twenties. The most famous killer with piquerism sex fetish: Jack the Ripper.

Suzie, it sounds like you have been doing your homework as well! Thank you for the posts. I am not real familiar with the case, but have read most of it. I will have to look up the other murders you mentioned. What a horrible crime, to think he did this while she was alive. I have a criminology book here, and I did read about a case of a woman being gutted and her intestines were found in the toilet of her home. Horrible!!! I think you can post what you found, maybe just put a foot note if there is no link to show the source. Just a thought. Thanks again.

Original 1977 coverage day one:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-U3VPjNm3VXQV9YTWtKR2VtZVREd0RCUTNqUXVJSlNRSnBr/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-U3VPjNm3VXT3RSMkxfSmZGYjA4VlJJdHlvN0hkUHRHUTBJ/view?usp=sharing

Bucks County Courier Times
Monday, June 13, 1977

(FRONT PAGE)
Body of murdered woman found
In Buckingham wooded area
By Bill Newell and William G. Shuster
Courier Times Staff Writers

The nude body of an unidentified woman was discovered yesterday afternoon in the woods along a remote country road in Buckingham Township.
Police believe the woman was stabbed to death before her body was dumped along Holicong Road on the north slope of Buckingham Mountain near the historic Mt. Gilead Church.
Investigators from the atrocious crime unit of the Bucks County district attorney’s office, Buckingham Township police and the Pennsylvania State Police still are trying to determine the identity of the victim.
She was described as a white, about 30 years old, five feet, five inches tall and weighing 130 pounds. She had brown frizzy, shoulder-length hair and blue eyes. Her ears were pierced.

Love ring
The victim was unclothed but was wearing a 10-carat yellow gold “Love” ring with a diamond chip in the center of the letter “O”.
The DA’s Office has set up a 24-hour telephone “Hot Line” for anyone who may be able to provide information about the victim of the crime. The number is 345-7075.
Investigators say they have no leads in the killing.
Police and county detectives have been circulating a photograph of the victim to other law enforcement agencies and the news media in hopes of determining her identity. Fingerprints taken from the body have been sent to the FBI for study.

(Continued on Page A3, Col. 3)

An autopsy was scheduled today at Doylestown Hospital. It is expected to confirm the woman died of multiple stab wounds. Police also want to find out whether the woman was sexually assaulted before the murder.
The body was spotted at 1:15 p.m. by the father and his son were driving along the narrow, woods-lined road, about a quarter mile from the old African Methodist Episcopal Church at the mountain’s top.
The body’s location on the road was a few yards beyond the point where Holicong Road bends after a railroad intersection near the Upper Mountain Road intersection.
The woman was laying face down, away from the road, about 10 to 12 feet down a steep slope next to the road.
The area is secluded, with the nearest houses many yards away in either direction.
Dr. Stanley L. Goodwin, who is conducting an autopsy on the body today, said the body had lain there “seven or eight hours, before discovery.”
But, he said, “she definitely did not die there.”
Township Det. Steve Daniels said it appeared the body had been transported from someplace else and “dumped there.”
Though the road is narrow, with barely room for two cars, there is a small turnaround opposite the area where the body was found, where a vehicle such as a car could have pulled in briefly unobserved.
Police say they have no missing persons reports which would fit the dead woman’s description.
Interviews with some of the residents on Buckingham Mountain last Sunday evening indicated none of its residents apparently missing.
“If someone was, that would spread pretty quickly,” said one resident.
Unidentified woman
The district attorney’s office has asked that this picture be printed in hopes someone may identify this woman whose body was found in Buckingham Township yesterday.

Original 1977 coverage day two:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-U3VPjNm3VXczFzX3VtU1oxZGZLYWl4QVJnWl9iRGU4dmFB/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-U3VPjNm3VXd0pVVHVoWlRzN2NFQkhQMUVBUjJfelRCaW9B/view?usp=sharing

Tuesday, June 14, 1977

(FRONT PAGE)
Disemboweled Bristol woman
Slaying victim identified in bizarre Buckingham case
By Bill Newill
Courier Times Staff Writer

The woman whose nude, disemboweled body was found along a country road on Buckhingham Mountain Sunday afternoon has been identified as a 20-year-old Bristol Borough resident.
The body of Shaun Eileen Ritterson of the Beaver Street Apartments was identified last night at Doylestown Hospital by her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Francis Ritterson of 1420 Mile St., West Bristol.
Results of an autopsy performed yesterday revealed that Miss Ritterson’s abdomen and chest had been sliced open and a number of internal organs removed, including the heart. The autopsy showed she died of multiple stab wounds.
Police have refused to speculate on the apparent ritualistic aspects of the killing. However, one source close to the investigation commented: “It was not a messy axe-type thing. It was not a grotesque mutilation.”
Investigators say they have no leads in the grisly killing, the third case this year in which a woman’s body has been dumped in Bucks County after being murdered elsewhere. Police do not believe the cases are related.
Francis Ritterson contacted authorities about 6 p.m. after seeing the photograph in yesterday’s editions of the Bucks County Courier Times.
“I came home from work and saw it as I sat down and was looking through the paper,” Ritterson said. “I knew it looked like my daughter, but I just couldn’t believe it. Then I
PAGE 2
checked her apartment and found out from her friends that she had not been home for three days.”
His daughter had just moved into the apartment about three weeks ago, Ritterson said. He had helped her move in shortly after she landed a factory job at the nearby Keystone Lighting Corp.
Shaun did not have a driver’s license, and the factory was within easy walking distance of the apartment. She lived by herself, her father said.
Ritterson said he last heard from his daughter on Thursday. She had called to tell the family she ordered some bedroom furniture, a relative said.
Her body was found about 1:30 p.m. Sunday by a man and his son who were driving along Holicong Road in Buckingham Township.
Body covered
The body partially covered by leaves, was lying on a steep slope about 12 feet below the narrow blacktop road which winds over Buckingham Mountain.
The body was found about a quarter mile from the historic Mt. Gilead African Methodist Epicopal Church, near a bend in the road which leads to the grade crossing of the New Hope & Ivyland Railroad. The site is about a mile and a half from the popular Peddler’s Village shopping center in Lahaska.
The body was naked, but on the victim’s left had inscribed with the woed “Love.” The ring belonged to Miss Ritterson, authorities say.
Performed autopsy
Halbert Fillinger, deputy medical examiner for Philadelphia, who performed the autopsy, said the victim had been dead between 12 and 48 hours.
Police found no clues in a search of the woods where the body was found and began an intense effort to establish the identity of the victim.
Bristol Borough and Bristol Township detectives joined county detectives, Buckingham Township police and state police in search for Miss Ritterson’s killer after her identity was learned last night.
Bucks DA Kenneth G. Biehn said investigators began to interview friends and acquaintances of Miss Ritterson today in an effort to establish leads in the bizarre slaying.
No motive known
Biehn said no motive has been established and said it was impossible to comment on speculation that the gruesome murder had ritualistic aspects. “Nothing is clear at this point,” he said.
The autopsy showed that there was an incision from the lower abdomen to the chest and that a number of internal organs had been removed, Biehn.
Family members said there was no indication Miss Ritterson was involved in any unusual religious or cult activities.
“There was no signs of anything like that,” her father said. “She was a Catholic, although she didn’t go to church regularly. I never saw any indication of anything different.”
Factory worker
Miss Ritterson held a succession of jobs locally since leaving Delhaas High School three years ago. Her father said she worked mostly factory jobs. For a time last year she worked at the Donut Den on Route 13 in Edgely.
Family members said she had no steady boyfriend. Most of her friends were girls she had gone to school or worked with, Ritterson said.
Her main outside interest was music, her father said. She collected record albums and played them on a stereo she had bought.
“She went to concerts once in a while to hear various rock groups,” he said. “She loved that, just like everyone her age, I guess.”
Funeral arrangements have not yet been completed. Shaun was the youngest daughter in a family of three girls and three boys.
She is survived by her parents; sisters Hazel, 24, and Grace, 22, and brothers Francis, 15, Floyd, 14, and David, 8.

Original 1977 coverage day three:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-U3VPjNm3VXd3ZiNUhuelRUU2hQNGQtdUwyd0FBN2RqRWRz/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-U3VPjNm3VXQzd1SG5FR0lZXzQwNWFYdk9SUGNzOUx4RzE0/view?usp=sharing

Wednesday, June 15[SUP]th[/SUP], 1977

(FRONT PAGE)
No motive, no suspects in brutal slaying
Did ‘weirdo’ offer fatal ride to victim?
By Lanny Morgnanesi
Courier Times Staff Writer

Donna Wheeler, 23, enjoyed herself Friday night at the Club Capri in Bristol, Township. Only one thing bothered her—a man in his early 20’s with shoulder-length black hair.
She described the man as a “weirdo” who followed her around during her stay at the bar. Ms. Wheeler frequents the Emilie Road night spot, but she had never seen this fellow before.
When he finally made contact by grabbing her arm. Ms. Wheeler got nasty. She swore at the man and told him to leave her alone. The tactic worked.
Girlfriend of victim
A resident of the Bristol Gardens apartments off Route 413, Donna Wheeler thinks this man may have offered her girlfriend Shaun Eileen Ritterson, a ride home from the Capri.
She thinks the ride offer was a prelude to the horror later inflicted on the 20-year-old Miss Ritterson.
Shaun, Donna, and another female friend went together to the Capri. Two of the friends returned home safely after the night out. Around 1 p.m.(sic, a.m.), Shaun disappeared from the bar and was never seen alive again.
Miss Ritterson’s body was discovered Sunday on a lonely hillside in Buckingham Township. The Bristol Borough woman had been stabbed to death.
The Buckingham Mountain site where the body was dumped is known to area hunters. And, like a hunter, the killer slit open his prey and emptied out the insides. A good hunter will try to wash the inside of an animal carcass after he guts it. It helps preserve the meat.
Killer-hunter
For some unknown reason, the killer-hunter did this to Miss Ritterson.
According to witnesses and friends of the victim, Friday evening out for Ms. Ritterson started around 5:30. A green pickup truck with three men inside stopped by her Spring Street apartment for her.
The group headed for a place called Larson’s Bar. One of the guys with Shaun was Rick “Bones Gittens. Friends said he lived with Shaun, but he was her friend, not her lover.
Five returned
Donna Wheeler met Shaun and the three men at Larsons, then the five of them returned to Shaun’s apartment. Originally from the West Bristol section of Bristol Township, Miss Ritterson had only lived in the borough for three weeks.
Donna was curious to see what the apartment looked like, so they popped in. The stay was brief.
The Suburban Lounge, formerly known as the Big E Lounge, was the next stop. They had only a few drinks at the Suburban, which is on Newport Road in Bristol Township. While there, the group split. Girls at one end of the bar, guys at the other.
Hitched ride
Donna and Shaun were joined by the third female, and after about a half hour they decided to leave. None of the women had cars, so they stuck out their thumbs to hitch a ride to the Capri. They did this even though a hitched ride resulted in an attempted rape two weeks ago on a mutual friend.
But hitchhiking was unnecessary. They came across a guy they know who happened to be going to the Capri. He gave them a lift.
The Club Capri was packed. A band called Rasputin was rocking the stage. Shaun’s friends milled around the bar speaking to friends. They are more outgoing types. Shaun was described as less talkative.
Stood alone
Standing by herself against the shuffleboard machine, Shaun probably became dissatisfied with the evening. “If we didn’t constantly talk to her, she thought we were being ignorant and she’d leave the bar,” Donna Bullington drank with Shaun and her friends at the Suburban Lounge. Later she caught up with the group at the Capri.
She walked in at approximately 1 a.m. and asked Miss (Continued on page A2, col 1) Wheeler, “Where’s Shaun?”
Donna looked around the crowded bar, over at the shuffleboard table, and did not see her. It was assumed she went home. She had done it before, so no one worried.
Shaun had no car or drivers’ (sic) license, so leaving meant getting a ride from someone.

No real leads
Although she has no real basis for her contention, Donna Wheeler’s instinct’s tell her the long-haired man who followed her around was the murderer. She did not even notice if the man was gone when Shaun left. It’s just a feeling, she said.
Donna saw Bones Gittens the next day at Shaun’s apartment. Gittens said Shaun had not been home that night. He said it was the first time that happened.
Still, Donna was not terribly concerned. “We often stay out all night together,” She said.

‘It’s like something you’d hear in California’
by Bill Newill
Courier Times Writer

Investigators say they have no motive, no suspects, and few leads in the weekend slaying of Shaun Eileen Ritterson, 20, of Bristol Borough, whose nude, disemboweled body was found along a narrow road on Buckingham Mountain Sunday afternoon.
The murder is one of the most bizarre and brutal in Bucks County history. An autopsy report showed the victim had died of five stab wounds to the chest and abdomen.
The body was sliced open the length of the torso and a number of internal organs removed. They have not been found.
Bucks County DA Kenneth G. Biehn said he has never seen a murder of this type before. He said there was no evidence to show any sexual motive and declined to comment on the speculation the slaying had cult or ritualistic overtones.
One source close to the investigation said the organs were removed in a fashion similar to what a hunter would do in field dressing a carcass of a game kill, such as a deer. The abdomen apparently had been rinsed with clean water before the body was dumped, the source said.
The autopsy indicated Miss Ritterson was dead between 12 and 48 hours before her body was found.
Detectives spent most of the day yesterday questioning friends and acquaintances of (Continued on Page A2, Col 1 Murder shocks rural community) Miss Ritterson, who lived at 107 Spring St. She was last seen alive about 1 a.m. Saturday at the Club Capri, a night spot on Emilie Road in Levittown frequented by young singles.
Investigators believe she was offered a ride home by someone at the bar or tried to hitchhike back to her apartment about two miles away.
County detectives, who have set up a temporary headquarters at the Bristol Township building, say they want to talk to anyone who may have seen Miss Ritterson at the bar Friday night or know who she may have left with. Anyone with any information has been asked to call 785-5233.
The focus of the investigation shifted to the lower end of the county Monday night after Miss Ritterson’s father, Francis, 49, of 1420 Mile St., West Bristol, identified her body.
Ritterson, a self-employed excavating contractor, identified his daughter after seeing a morgue photo published in Monday’s editions of the Bucks County Courier Times at the request of the county’s District Attorney’s office.
Miss Ritterson, who had left home just three weeks ago to move into her own apartment, recently had been laid off from an assembly line job at Keystone Lighting Corp. in Bristol Borough.
She had worked at a succession of factory and waitress jobs since dropping out of Delhaas High School three years ago.
Neighbors said she had not returned to her apartment after leaving with three young men about 5:30 Friday evening. One of them was identified as Richard “Bones” Gittens, who had been living with Miss Ritterson for about the last two weeks, neighbors said.
The group went to the Suburban Lounge in West Bristol, where they met other friends and migrated to the Club Capri later in the evening.
Her friends said Miss Ritterson wandered away from the group and they did not see her after about 1 a.m.
The later discovery of the body and disclosure of the gruesome circumstances of the killing shocked residents of the quiet, rural hamlets around the base of Buckingham Mountain.
It’s like something you’d hear about in California,” said Joe Turner, co-owner and bartender of the Pineville Tavern in Pineville, a crossroads village less than five miles from where the body was found.
A hush fell over the place as cocktail hour customers gathered in front of the big color TV set at the end of the bar to watch the 6 o’clock news last night, Turner said.
People had heard of the murder but most had not yet seen the afternoon newspaper to learn of the details, he said.
“People can’t believe it happened in this area,’ he said. “It really strikes home to parents. I had one father in here tonight whose daughter is in her own apartment. I know he’s having second thoughts at this point.
Funeral services for Miss Ritterson will be held Friday at 10 a.m. from the Galzerano Funeral Home, 430 Radcliffe St., Bristol Borough.
There will be a Mass of Christian Burial at St. Thomas Aquinas Church, Croydon. Friends may call tomorrow evening after 7 at the funeral home.
Miss Ritterson is survived by her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Francis Ritterson of West Bristol; two sisters, Hazel Holderer and Grace DeMara of Bristol Township; three brothers, Francis Jr., Floyd and David, all at home; and her paternal grandmother, Marie Ritterson.

Original 1977 coverage day four:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-U3VPjNm3VXQzd1SG5FR0lZXzQwNWFYdk9SUGNzOUx4RzE0/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-U3VPjNm3VXTzF2Vno1bTd6TENRUk1MT2g5SUUxcVVMLWpz/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-U3VPjNm3VXeEdTeWpSNlBjbU1ULVI3cURXMVgwcC04MFpF/view?usp=sharing
Thursday, June 16, 1977

(FRONT PAGE)
Yardley occultist:
‘Nobody DOES these things’
by Bill Newill
Courier Times Writer

(image of Mt. Gilead church cemetery with caption: Body found near this Buckingham Mountain church prompted queries about possible cult slaying)

When investigators recognized the bizarre nature of the murder of a young Bristol woman whose nude, mutilated body was found on Buckingham Mountain Sunday afternoon, one of the first persons they contacted was a 30-year-old Yardley woman named Eileen Lazorisak.
Detectives went to her E. College Avenue home Monday not because they thought she was involved but because she is considered one of the most knowledgeable persons in the Bucks County area in matters of occult lore and ritual.
The victim’s torso had been slit open and most of her internal organs removed, police said. It had the earmarks of a grotesque, ritualistic cult slaying, reminiscent of the infamous Manson murders in California.
The detectives wanted to know if it were possible the murder could have been the work of an outlaw cult and if the place the body was dumped had any occult significance.
“The whole think leaves me utterly horrified. Nobody DOES these types of things,” Ellen Lasorisak says emphatically.
“They had asked me if I knew of any rituals where something like this would be done. I just don’t know of (Continued on Page A10, Col. 1) anything like that.
‘Murder not occult killing’
“I can’t find anything in ritual practice that would be even remotely along those lines. It is so far out; they would have to be into a totally sadistic type of thing. It’s not even a satanistic-type thing. It’s beyond that.
“I can see where they might have gotten this impression. But there is no proof it is anything to do with the occult.”
The detectives thought the location might have been significant—near a church and a graveyard at the top of Buckingham Mountain., a Bucks County landmark prominent to local history and folklore.
“It could be the killer thought the place had some significance or it could be he went there just because it’s a secluded area,” Eileen Lazorisack says.
“I’ve been here 10 years and I’ve heard tales and tales about the mountain, ghost stories mostly.”
The section of Holicong Road which winds over the mountain near where the body was found is known among local teenagers as a “gravity hill”—a place where you can stop a car and let it coast and it will appear to be rolling uphill. It is possible the killer knew the place in that context.
Ellen Lazorasak says she is worried speculation the killing had occult significance will damage the reputation of legitimate occultists, whose practices are “based on life, not death.”
“After working it out astrologically and timewise, I could find no occult timing to this whatsoever. There was no festival, no dark of the moon. It was not the time for sacrifice, even by a far stretch of the imagination. I have to believe that his was the work of a very sick person.”

(FRONT PAGE BOTTOM. Image of drawing of long-haired dude. Caption: Police sketch of man wanted for questioning in slaying)
Arrest expected in Buckingham murder
By Lanny Morgnanesi
And Mike Dunn

A suspect described by one police source as a “dirtball” may be arrested tomorrow and charged with the savage killing of 20-year-old Shaun Eileen Ritterson of Bristol Borough, the source said.
With information from witnesses, police have put together a composite sketch of a man seen leaving the Club Capri Friday night with the murder victim. It was the last time she was seen alive.
Jack Lister, police said, is the key witness in the search for the man. He is employed as the bouncer at the Levittown nightspot and is the cousin of Miss Ritterson.
Saw man
Police said Lister remembers seeing this man around Lower Bucks County on several occasions, but with the exception of the Capri, he cannot remember where.
Today he will search though old high school year books hoping to pinpoint the man, police said.
The body of Miss Ritterson was found Sunday on a rural mountain road to Buckingham Township. She had been stabbed five times then slit open. Her organs were removed and were not found at the scene.
At first it was assumed the victim died of the stab wounds, but a police source has said medical examiners think she may have survived the five punctures. They were not in vital spots, the source said.
Police said they have not ruled out any theories on the killing. One officer said the possibility the killing was related to occult worship was pursued. Also, the crazed hunter theory is being reviewed, he said.
Carcass washed
The victim’s carcass was washed out by the killer in the same way a hunter cleans a deer carcass.
The officer who described the suspect as a “dirtball,” thinks he knows the man from a previous arrest. He said the suspect is more sloppy in appearance than in the sketch being circulated among law enforcement officials.
The police source declined to say what the previous arrest was for.
A second witness who may be able to identify the killer is Donna Wheeler, a friend of Shaun’s who accompanied her to the Club Capri on Friday.
Miss Wheeler said a “weirdo” at the bar had been following her around all night. He stopped after she swore at him and told him to leave her alone. She speculates that man might have picked up Shaun.
Lister’s description of the man he saw is similar to Miss Wheeler’s mental picture of the “weirdo.”
Although the police source who believes he knows the suspect is optimistic about an arrest, District Attorney Kenneth Biehn is more reserved in his comments.
“It’s not fair to say an arrest is imminent,” Biehn said this morning. He said the man the bouncer saw is wanted for questioning and is “not necessarily” being considered a suspect.
“We’re waiting for a break,” he said. “It may come in a day or it may come in a week.”
According to one police officer, Shaun Eileen Ritterson often went to bars and left with men. After meeting them, she would return to her apartment on Spring Street and write the man’s initials on her calendar.
Police have confiscated the calendar as evidence.
The person who killed Shaun Eileen Ritterson probably incapably of functioning sexually and was rejected by his victim, according to two area psychologists contacted by the Bucks County Courier Times.
Dr. Jerome T.[sic: E] Thompson, a child and family psychologist who has testified in past murder trials in Bucks, theorized the murderer probably was unable to have “normal heterosexual relation and Miss Ritterson’s reaction provoked his deadly outburst.”
“Sick individual”
“I think we are dealing with a sick individual,” said Thompson.
Another psychologist with experience in reconstructing the mental states of psychopathic murderers concurred with Thompson’s analysis.
“In this type of brutal slaying, a lot of times you are dealing with a sexually inadequate man who has been rejected, offered Dr. Robert Strochak, who is also a psychologist with the Delaware Valley Mental Health Foundation.
“Sometimes they feel like they’re doing the girl a favor. Their own aggressive drives are confused,” he said.
Possible sacrifice
Strochak, who also works for the Bucks County Diagnostic Center, also said the murder may be a sacrifice.
“The disembowelment is similar to what some primitive cultures do,” he said.
“Then again it may be someone who goes on a rampage every now and then. The stabbing is similar to the girl who was murdered at the Oxford Valley Mall a couple of years ago. They never caught her killer,” Strochak said, in reference to the murder of 17-year-old Patty Bartlett.
“The neat, methodical butchering has all the traits of a ritualistic killing,” said Thompson, an associate professor [at] Bucks County Community College.
Thompson said the method indicates the killer had a rigid lifestyle.
Anger expression
“The murderer probably has a great difficulty expressing anger. He feels expressing anger would tear him apart. His upbringing may forbid it,” Thompson said.
“It is possible the killer’s parents did not accept him. It sounds like he had a domineering father,” Thompson said.
Thompson said he is almost certain the killer is a man because of the murder’s similarity to hunting and skinning an animal.
“A woman may have done it and attempted to make it look like a man did. But I think a man did it,” Thompson said.
Sexual overtones
“The murder has sexual overtones. Taking the organs are a symbolic taking of the woman. The killer is saying, “I’ve got her. She’s with me,” Thompson said.
In some ritualistic killings to which the organs are removed, the murderer eats the organs, Thompson said.
“I’m not saying this happened in this case,” he added.
Thompson said the killer probably knew Miss Ritterson. “If she rejected him, he probably knew her,” Thompson said.
“But he may have worshipped her from afar. He may finally have made some kind of awkward, bumbling approach and was rebuked,” Thompson said.
There have been been two other bizarre murders in the last year, the slaying of the Abe family and the Vogenberger murders.
Thompson blames the murders on the law which governs who should be committed to mental institutions.
Blames law
“We call it the gun in the mouth law. It says a hostile, destructive act must be witnessed before someone is committed. The burden is on the claimant,” Thompson said.
That law should be changed to protect people like the girl who was killed,” Thompson said.
“Miss Ritterson was nude. The only thing on her was a gold ring with the word “love” on it.
Thompson said, “Maybe the killer was sending an unconscious message:
I love her, but I couldn’t have her.”

Day 5 and 6 1977
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-U3VPjNm3VXTzF2Vno1bTd6TENRUk1MT2g5SUUxcVVMLWpz/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-U3VPjNm3VXeEdTeWpSNlBjbU1ULVI3cURXMVgwcC04MFpF/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-
Friday, JUNE 17[SUP]th[/SUP] page A3
Detectives seek new lead in murder of woman
‘Case going down the drain’
By Bill Newell
and Lanny Morgnanesi

Detectives were groping for new leads today as the investigation into the grisly murder of 20-year-old Shaun Eileen Ritterson entered its sixth day.
Yesterday, an investigator in the bizarre murder case said he was optimistic police would soon apprehend a suspect fitting the description of the last person seen with the victim.
The man had a criminal record and was known to the police, the source said. But today the picture has changed. Additional investigation has shown the man they had in mind probably is not connected to the murder, the source said.
“Our case is going down the drain,” he said.
Police still are trying to identify and locate a long-haired man in his early 20s who was seen leaving the Club Capri, a Levittown night spot, with Miss Ritterson about 1 a.m. last Saturday. It was the last time she was seen alive.
Her nude, mutilated body was found along remote Holicong Road near the top of Buckingham Mountain on Sunday afternoon. Her abdomen and chest had been slashed open and most of her internal organs removed.
Death was caused by five stab wounds, according to an autopsy report.
Bucks County District Attorney Kenneth G. Biehn said investigators received numerous phone calls last night after publication by area newspapers of the sketch of the man who left the bar with Miss Ritterson.
The district attorney said the man is not necessarily considered a suspect in the murder but is someone police want to question about the crime.
“We would hope he’d seen his likeness and call us,” Biehn said.
According the police, the man they are looking for has a lean face with a broad nose, a fair complexion and long, dark brown hair.
He is believed to be about five foot, eight inches tall with a slender build.
Funeral services
Anyone who may have information concerning the man has been asked to call a special “hot line” number set up by police and county detectives who have been working out of the Bristol Township municipal building. The number is 788-5—3.
Police have theorized that Miss Ritterson was killed elsewhere before her body was dumped by the mountain road. Neither her clothing nor her organs that were removed were found with the body.
Miss Ritterson, an unemployed factory worker, had moved out of her parents’ home in West Bristol and into an apartment at 927 [sic? 107] Spring St. in the borough just three weeks before she was killed.
In the hours before she disappeared, she had visited two local taverns with a group of friends. Jack Lister, a doorman at the Club Capri and a cousin of the Miss Ritterson, told detectives she left the bar with the man he described for the police sketch.
Funeral services for Miss Ritterson were scheduled today from Galzerano Funeral Home in Bristol Borough.

Sunday, JUNE 19[SUP]th[/SUP]
Editorial Page

Our Opinion
A murder to solve, a plan to follow
(second section down)

ANY MURDER as grisly and frightening; the crime committed upon 20-year-old Shaun Ritterson of Bristol was unprecedented in Bucks County history.
It shows that there are few depths to which a deranged human mind cannot plunge, and it shows, too, the need for caution in ones life.
Out police departments have done well in solving some of the homicides lately; we should have every confidence that this one, too, will be solved. But there is still need for a lot of additional knowledge that will allow us to identify and treat those with such vicious tendencies, and there is still need to think about what could happen if we are not circumspect about the way of life we choose.

Thank you Suzi for posting those old newspaper articles!

First of all, I'm horrified a morgue photo of poor Shaun was published in the local newspaper to id her? The poor father who found out that way about his daughter!

What I get from the reporting is that the killer most likely took her home, she possibly even went voluntarily with him. Her belly was washed out with clean water, so there must have been access to water. Why did he clean her? The fact that he did makes me think that the whole event (killing, gutting, and cleaning) was highly important and meaningful to him. Or, another possibility, did he leave evidence inside of her and tried to clean it up?

I would think he lived alone to be able to do all he did and knowing that nobody would walk in on him. Also, he might have held her for a day. It says she likely died 12 to 48 hrs before being found. She probably was in full rigor which is why this time frame was given.

This case reminds me of Jessica Ridgeway's murder. Austin Sigg was a forensics student, and only 17 years old.

Ritualistic killing was explored, a possible connection to hunting was mentioned, but did they ever look into persons with a connection to the medical field or forensics, funeral homes, etc? Well I guess in the 40 years that have passed they probably looked into this as well. Or were they totally convinced the uncle did it and looked no further?

Another thought, since some of her organs are missing and have never been found, and it says she might have been alive when she was mutilated - is it at all possible that the organs were sold on the black market as organ donations?

Missing organs still missing is a red herring IMO. Leave them out in the woods and they'll be eaten quite quick by the animals. I don't think she was killed at her apartment, or LE would've found blood there. Even if it was in the bathtub. I think she was killed elsewhere. Odd that LE has never stated the organs that were removed. I thought I read somewhere that a towel was placed in her body cavity. Has anyone else seen this allegation?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back