PA - Spotted Lanternfly invasion in Pennsylvania: Urgent call for community action to curb population surge

So today I went to fill up my auto gas tank. Wouldn’t you know, one of these buggers managed to get inside my car while I was filling and I didn’t know… until.. you guessed it - if flew down my shirt while I was driving. :eek:

“Evolutionarily, this seems odd,” says Urban in an email. “Why emerge as an adult in July and not mate and lay eggs until September through November?” After all, every day spent as an adult means a greater risk of getting eaten, contracting a disease, or getting stomped by a Pittsburgh Steeler’s fan.

The state continues to say to smash 'em so they don't harm vegetation, but a recent study from Penn State found they may not cause as much harm as once thought.

While they are certainly pests, we have been told they can damage our gardens or our trees, but really, that might not be the case.

"There are only a few different hosts that it stays on for months and months, which is what it takes to really cause severe damage," said Dr. Kelli Hoover, a professor of entomology at Penn State.

The state continues to say to smash 'em so they don't harm vegetation, but a recent study from Penn State found they may not cause as much harm as once thought.

While they are certainly pests, we have been told they can damage our gardens or our trees, but really, that might not be the case.

"There are only a few different hosts that it stays on for months and months, which is what it takes to really cause severe damage," said Dr. Kelli Hoover, a professor of entomology at Penn State.

I’m not giving up just yet. The grapevines are needed by the local wineries! We can’t let these pests reach California. They have enough to deal with due to wildfires.

Of equal concern is the invasive tree-of-heaven, the preferred host of the SLF. It sounds like the process to eradicate them is tricky.

Let’s hope the lantern flies destroy some of the tree-of-heaven this season.

I’m not giving up just yet. The grapevines are needed by the local wineries! We can’t let these pests reach California. They have enough to deal with due to wildfires.

Of equal concern is the invasive tree-of-heaven, the preferred host of the SLF. It sounds like the process to eradicate them is tricky.

Let’s hope the lantern flies destroy some of the tree-of-heaven this season.

I believe that some land managers actually leave one or two trees of heaven to attract and concentrate the lantern flies and then kill them on the trees... not sure how well this strategy works. Found a source:

""Because spotted lanternfly is drawn to the tree of heaven, we can use the tree to attract and then kill these invasive insects. This is known as the trap tree method. For the trap tree method to work, we must first kill most of the existing tree of heaven, leaving just a few to be the trap trees."

Controlling Tree of Heaven: Why it Matters

1694225460504.png
Brandywine Conservancy and Museum of Art
https://www.brandywine.org › conservancy › blog › i...

Jun 13, 2018 — The trap trees are then treated with a systemic insecticide. When spotted lanternfly feeds on the treated trees, they will die. As always, you ...

I noticed today that the bees are eating at the newly dead SLF. I hope that’s good news. Maybe the bees will start to like the taste, join the fight, and begin attacking LIVE SLF.

How awful.
Texas has tons of bugs, mainly the American Cockroach, (AKA Palmetto Bug, Water Bug).
The thing is, the American Cockroach is not native to the US.
It's an invasive specie from the Eastern Hemisphere that came over with sailors very early on.

Good news: Texas is considered, "unsuitable" for the lantern fly!

1280px-Potential_Global_Distribution_of_Spotted_Lanternfly.jpg

The lanternflies are in the egg laying stage - let’s spot ‘em and get ‘em.

View attachment 447471
Don't neglect your roof. Might be difficult if you have solar panels (I don't).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ashtonsmyangel!
Back