Parents Angry Over Disney Underwear With "Dive-In" Printed On Them

January,
"Made in USA" can mean many things, including made in US territories which do run under sweatshop conditions, without US interference. Juicy is owned by Liz Claiborne, a company that paid several millions in fines for their manufacturing irregularities. Made in the USA can also mean Asian Sweatshops right here in the US: http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/07/23/a-queens-sweatshop-found-to-owe-workers-53-million/

The name "Juicy" most certainly was chosen to convey a titillating message on adult clothing. Put the words "Juicy"on a baby bib, and I'd think "Cute, babies drool, they're juicy." Put it on your azz in three inch high letters, well, it has a different connotation. Why not "Moist" "wet" "Happy Valley" or "Tunnel of Love? It's not the words so much but how they are used.

This is friendly place and so I do want to give you some friendly advice as a parent of two older kids. Juicy Clothing pretty expensive and putting the Brand Name in big letters lets people know that you have spent a pretty penny to dress your kid. You might want to explore that choice and how it impacts your future.
When she was younger, I spent a small fortune making sure my cutie DD had the latest and greatest in kid fashion. She had three strollers, one for fashion, one for travel and one for jogging, all of them top brands and a $200. highchair. Her room had more stuff than most well stocked boutiques. I derived a great deal of satisfaction on how cute my DD was and I dressed her to be noticed. I also rationalized that we could afford it, my husband is an airline pilot.

So now my DD is 19, I have no say in what she wears and if it were still in fashion in California, she might be wearing Juicy. But, she can't; she works to help pay for her education. In the last 10 years, my husband's airline has gone bankrupt twice and they took his pension, he had a serious case of cancer, his pay is 60% of what is was 16 years ago. Thankfully, our house is paid for and we always contributed to a 401K but I wish I'd known that life can toss you some hard lessons.

IF I could go back in time, I'd plan better and spend less on disposables like clothing. Many of the hard choices we have to make right now are the direct result of my desires, admittedly foolish on my part, to make sure my kids had everything that I thought they needed. (I don't even want to think about the thousands spent on dance lessons and dance competitions, it's too painful) Not more than two weeks ago, one of DD's friends sobbed (wearing $100. jeans) on my couch because her parents had told the kids that they have 50 grand in credit card debt. Even though both parents work and make excellent money, they may lose their house and she might not be able to return to college.

I'm now educating myself on financial matters and sharing what I know with my kids. I know that a pair of sweatpants with letters on the rear don't keep you any warmer than the ones that come from Target and Polo shirt from Ralph for $70. is equal to one from Lands End for $22.

I know now that "Rich" people follow fashion and value status displayed, but wealthy people do not. Wealthy for me means money available for all that life throws at you whether it is a major illness or being able to travel when you retire or being able to make a difference by funding a charitable group.

I truly didn't want to hurt your feelings! Anyway, I'll step off my soapbox now and tell you that the kiddo in your avatar is absolutely adorable.
Suz

:clap::clap::clap: oh........I like you!!! :clap::clap::clap:

<Snipped>

I just wanted to say that reacting to something like this is important. I would return the underwear to the manufacturer with a letter stating exactly why it was being returned.
I totally agree that it is important to let manufacturers know what we find questionable or offensive.

I didn't want to start a new thread for this, but wanted to add this to the discussion:

From the National Coalition for the Protection of Children and Families:

Quote:
Levi’s Tells Kids to “Live Unbuttoned”

One might think that clothing companies would want to launch advertising campaigns depicting models and actors actually wearing the company’s clothes. Unfortunately, in the sexualized culture in which we live, one would be wrong. The most recent example of this is Levi Strauss & Co.’s new marketing campaign for its Levi’s 501 jean—a campaign that sells kids sex and promiscuity rather than style and function.

The Levi’s campaign, titled “Live Unbuttoned,” includes several TV ads featuring young men and women unbuttoning and removing their jeans while engaging in sexually suggestive dialogue, and, in one case, engaged in a sexual encounter.

In a press release, John Anderson, president and CEO of Levi Strauss & Co., touts these provocative ads as necessary to “stepping up and being a global leader.” The release goes on to describe the campaign’s theme of “unrestrained self-expression,” pointing out that the characters’ “physical unbuttoning of their jeans…captures the provoking theme of self-expression and unrestrained behavior.”

“While you would think Levi’s would promote their brand with images of people desiring to wear–not remove–their jeans, they have instead turned to the very type of sexualized marketing we have been fighting for years,” said Rick Schatz, president and CEO of the National Coalition.

The commercial, targeting young men and women, blatantly promotes a risky, sexualized lifestyle—a lifestyle that is fully realized only when jeans come “unbuttoned.”

“In other words, Levi’s is encouraging our teens and young adults to engage in random, premarital sexual encounters, which we know has serious negative consequences,” added Schatz. “Their marketing campaign encourages a moral philosophy of sexuality that not only is unfulfilling but also extremely harmful to America’s youth.”

Statistics clearly demonstrate the consequences of a society that “lives unbuttoned”:

• American teens lead the industrialized world in sexually transmitted diseases
  • America teens lead the entire world in unwanted pregnancies
  • America teens are more likely to become pregnant and have multiple partners than any other teenager on the planet
  • 60% of first marriages are preceded by cohabitation
As you know, the National Coalition spearheaded a successful public awareness campaign against Abercrombie & Fitch in 2003. We are poised to call the same attention to Levi’s and other companies if they continue their irresponsible promotion of recreational sex to our children.

WARNING: This video includes graphic sexual content.​

Sorry, I have to disagree on this one. A 9 year old wearing thong underwear? And just be happy that some upskirt perv hasn't had the photo op to get her picture. And trust me, people notice. Do you think a child molester is going to point out to you that he likes your daughters panties?....I'm not trying to pick on you GlitchWizard, :blowkiss: I am just using your example as a point so please don't get all worked up. I just wanted to say that reacting to something like this is important. I would return the underwear to the manufacturer with a letter stating exactly why it was being returned.

I never get worked up about other people having an opinion on something - good grief, that's what makes the world go around! :) I enjoy learning all sides to any perceptions.

Certainly, if something TRUELY offends you, going to the manufacturer or to the press or coming here to vent is absolutely what you need to do as a consumer. I find alot of people act offended who aren't, and those people annoy me - but if something is honestly upsetting to someone, I'm ALL for voicing it.

I had to laugh at the upskirt guy (on THIS example only) - my daughter wore boys, black Hot Topic gothic scarey chains looking stuff and was a brown belt in Kenpo at the time. Definitely not victim material. If she wore anything low cut, shorty shorts, low rise jeans or a skirt, no way in HECK would she be wearing thongs! (Uh, and no way in heck would she be wearing those things, anyway!)

I'm ALL about the cover up! (I was the only employee at KFC in college that didn't complain about the second button on the shirt collar being fake.... because I didn't ever try to unbutton it and didn't NOTICE until everyone raised a stink. :) I'm a clothes prude for what's visible! :)

Just a note on Juicy Couture....it's a brand name, status symbol..whatever you want to call it. I do NOT agree with having a children's "Juicy" line.

I agree they shouldn't market it on people's behinds, but it has worked.

The clothes cost enough (sometimes hundreds) that a child would NOT be able to purchase these items without substantial funding...so it's up to the parent to screen, IMO.

Just a note on Juicy Couture....it's a brand name, status symbol..whatever you want to call it. I do NOT agree with having a children's "Juicy" line.

I agree they shouldn't market it on people's behinds, but it has worked.

The clothes cost enough (sometimes hundreds) that a child would NOT be able to purchase these items without substantial funding...so it's up to the parent to screen, IMO.

I've never seen Juicy, but my daughter and I notice that most people who have "SEXY" and "JUICY" type words on their clothes are ANYTHING but.

I will admit I do have a pair of "Lucky" sweatpants that say it on the behind...but they were on clearance and I was young (18) at the time! =) I only wear them at home!

I've never seen Juicy, but my daughter and I notice that most people who have "SEXY" and "JUICY" type words on their clothes are ANYTHING but.

LOL! My husband about died the first time he saw it. We were at my DD's gymnastics class and a mom had them on. Yes, she was very attractive, but she had 3 of the brattiest kids you've ever seen in tow.

That's hot. Not!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox
Back