Pat Brown profiler weighs in on case

Kell1,

That's the case in a nutshell. So there are really only three suspects and we know all three colluded postmortem.

Can we rule out a family conspiracy or was it one person who assaulted JonBenet the others assisting with the staging?

Was the crime-scene deliberately tainted early on, did the parents get advice over the phone on how to proceed, John Ramsey lost his new shiny cellphone just prior to Christmas Day according to Patsy, convenient, huh?

Then there are the investigators, was it just Luck Of The Draw because it was Christmas vacation or was Steve Thomas appointed lead investigator despite having no homicide case experience, previously he worked Drug cases, to dumb down the investigative angle?

Basically did someone phone Hunter up front and outline a strategy for minimising any chance of the case appearing in a public court?

Hunter's behavior since has been questionable, right down to calling a GJ and then deciding not to file the True Bills, despite a Legal Procedure being available for dealing with a DA not wishing to proceed, so what does Hunter have to hide?

So is the JonBenet case one of incompetence or a conspiracy bankrolled by a millionare?

Ill answer as best I can

Can we rule out a family conspiracy or was it one person who assaulted JonBenet the others assisting with the staging?

Depends on what type of conspiracy, post offense to cover up the crime?, then yes, I feel that more than 1 person was involved in covering up what happened.

As a planned conspiracy to kill their child and make it look like an attempted abduction? no I don't feel that, that requires a lot more planning than several practice ransom notes in the trash. Also what would be the benefit to murdering one child ?

If it was a pre planned as in most cases I feel you'd most likely see the victim moved from the residence and reported as abducted or missing , theres way too much risk in having the body there and reporting them as missing .

The evidence suggests that the death was accidental , the cover up wasn't planned, it was more haphazard, and HORRIBLY staged , remember COD was actually the blow to the head with asphyxiation secondary, that to a seasoned investigator with absence of any further blunt trauma suggests perhaps the blow to the head was accidental , or intentional with an unexpected outcome (IE "didn't mean to hit her that hard)

Was the crime-scene deliberately tainted early on, did the parents get advice over the phone on how to proceed, John Ramsey lost his new shiny cellphone just prior to Christmas Day according to Patsy, convenient, huh?

Again maybe, depends on how early, if I recall, I believe they called an attorney 1st, that in and of itself raises eyebrows, I mean what could you need legal counsel for at that hour, let alone the day your daughter has "gone missing" let alone found dead?

If youre saying that it was preplanned to kill the child then no I donr beleive that was what was planned, it wouldve been executed better

It was tainted the minute, an inexperienced, detective allowed both the Ramsey's to be questioned together, they were allowed to roam all over the house without police present. Outside parties , were allowed into the residence , which wsa a CRIME SCENE!. NOBODY should ever be allowed into a crime scene whether or not her body has been found all missing persons cases, start in the home !

In an investigation you separate ALL parties present, you keep them in one area away from each other, no one talks to them but the investigators. You question them separately , then you compare stories, then you go back and ask them to tell it again, meanwhile this is going on you have Police officers search, check the area inside and out, and note anything of interest .

No way would an experienced investigator 1) Question John and Patsy together, 2) allow outside parties to enter the residence, 3) allow John to go look all over the house for his daughter, especially with another person, at least not without Police present.

Unfortunately it does seem luck of the draw, along with something we in Law Enforcement have dealt with for decades, departmental pride. For years, police agencies, would refuse to ask for help from other agencies, because they felt it would be a black mark on their agency, and amongst LE agencies, it often was, that they couldn't handle what befell them. In the old days departments didnt ask for help, it was something that has hampered MANY cases, throughout the years. No detective ever, wants to feel that he cant handle something, and it may result in departmental ridicule, let alone personal ridicule amongst peers.

That's why large metropolitan departments, break up crimes into divisions, it allows them to focus solely on the cases, at hand

Not sure what significance the cell phone holds, perhaps it had to disappear , maybe he did actually lose it . But I can say minus the cell phone there was PLENTY of evidence at that scene to make an educated guess as to what occurred, IF you know anything about criminal investigation, the problem again was that the police didn't seem to have much experience with missing persons, and homicide .

Hunter's behavior since has been questionable, right down to calling a GJ and then deciding not to file the True Bills, despite a Legal Procedure being available for dealing with a DA not wishing to proceed, so what does Hunter have to hide?

To an experienced, eye literally ALL of the behavior post offense raises an eye, however, no matter how much it raises an eye you have to remember one thing ...The evidence in this case, was tainted there's no way to undo that, and without the presence of any new condemning evidence coming forward , if it went to trial, the defense only has to prove that it was, and it will most likely result in the case, being thrown out (OJ Simpson is a great example of this).

Now was this advice given to John by his attorney, to go and screw up the crime scene in front of police, so if questioned a high profile attorney could say the police were inept ?... Maybe , I doubt it but It cant be ruled out . And Attorney client privlidge, could be invoked if the police were to attempt to question that .

The saddest part of our judicial system in this country, (USA) is that despite mountains of evidence , a technicality can, has, and will let a guilty party walk free, and sadly it doesn't take much as we witnessed in the Simpson case a single mistake by LE let a murderer walk free.

So is the JonBenet case one of incompetence or a conspiracy bankrolled by a millionare?

C) all of the above, but not on a high level. I can only speak to my opinion, having spoken about this case with former FBI, and other police agencies over the years , plus my own experience .

Now this is my own opinion, so take it with a grain of salt again this is MY OPINION

I feel the murder was accidental, it seems to me like either the child was struck too hard, or she was pushed into something where she struck her head from there , there are a number of reasons the victim was strangled.

However, remember someone took time to fashion a garotte, if it were panic, id expect to see manual strangulation, or ligature, held by hand , NOONE goes and fashions a weapon and since her hair was found in the knots connecting the paintbrush to the rope, that seems to indicate, it was tied to the paintbrush with the rope still around her neck .

So a lot of "whys" can be gleaned from that alone

However, I feel IT was made to look like something else, the family panicked, and did their best to cover it up, the police, unexperienced, in these cases, unintentionally allowed the crime scene to be tainted, then knowing the case, would be a failure in court once the FBI and analyst's looked at it , taking down a pillar of the community, on a topic like the murder of their own daughter, a small 6yo pageant queen, may have been a bridge too far for the DA.

I think they know whos responsible but its hard to get it in court.

So much time has elapsed now, too many independent parties have been brought in to give their "expert" analysis , one who to this day I'm still stunned was, but still i have to say sadly that I feel this child will most likely never receive justice.

At this point the best we can hope for is perhaps a deathbed confession from someone, because new evidence is highly unlikely.

Kell1,

That's the case in a nutshell. So there are really only three suspects and we know all three colluded postmortem.

Then there are the investigators, was it just Luck Of The Draw because it was Christmas vacation or was Steve Thomas appointed lead investigator despite having no homicide case experience, previously he worked Drug cases, to dumb down the investigative angle?

Basically did someone phone Hunter up front and outline a strategy for minimising any chance of the case appearing in a public court?

Ill answer as best I can

Depends on what type of conspiracy, post offense to cover up the crime?, then yes, I feel that more than 1 person was involved in covering up what happened.

As a planned conspiracy to kill their child and make it look like an attempted abduction? no I don't feel that, that requires a lot more planning than several practice ransom notes in the trash. Also what would be the benefit to murdering one child ?

If it was a pre planned as in most cases I feel you'd most likely see the victim moved from the residence and reported as abducted or missing , theres way too much risk in having the body there and reporting them as missing .

The evidence suggests that the death was accidental , the cover up wasn't planned, it was more haphazard, and HORRIBLY staged , remember COD was actually the blow to the head with asphyxiation secondary, that to a seasoned investigator with absence of any further blunt trauma suggests perhaps the blow to the head was accidental , or intentional with an unexpected outcome (IE "didn't mean to hit her that hard)

Again maybe, depends on how early, if I recall, I believe they called an attorney 1st, that in and of itself raises eyebrows, I mean what could you need legal counsel for at that hour, let alone the day your daughter has "gone missing" let alone found dead?

If youre saying that it was preplanned to kill the child then no I donr beleive that was what was planned, it wouldve been executed better

It was tainted the minute, an inexperienced, detective allowed both the Ramsey's to be questioned together, they were allowed to roam all over the house without police present. Outside parties , were allowed into the residence , which wsa a CRIME SCENE!. NOBODY should ever be allowed into a crime scene whether or not her body has been found all missing persons cases, start in the home !

In an investigation you separate ALL parties present, you keep them in one area away from each other, no one talks to them but the investigators. You question them separately , then you compare stories, then you go back and ask them to tell it again, meanwhile this is going on you have Police officers search, check the area inside and out, and note anything of interest .

No way would an experienced investigator 1) Question John and Patsy together, 2) allow outside parties to enter the residence, 3) allow John to go look all over the house for his daughter, especially with another person, at least not without Police present.

Unfortunately it does seem luck of the draw, along with something we in Law Enforcement have dealt with for decades, departmental pride. For years, police agencies, would refuse to ask for help from other agencies, because they felt it would be a black mark on their agency, and amongst LE agencies, it often was, that they couldn't handle what befell them. In the old days departments didnt ask for help, it was something that has hampered MANY cases, throughout the years. No detective ever, wants to feel that he cant handle something, and it may result in departmental ridicule, let alone personal ridicule amongst peers.

That's why large metropolitan departments, break up crimes into divisions, it allows them to focus solely on the cases, at hand

Not sure what significance the cell phone holds, perhaps it had to disappear , maybe he did actually lose it . But I can say minus the cell phone there was PLENTY of evidence at that scene to make an educated guess as to what occurred, IF you know anything about criminal investigation, the problem again was that the police didn't seem to have much experience with missing persons, and homicide .

To an experienced, eye literally ALL of the behavior post offense raises an eye, however, no matter how much it raises an eye you have to remember one thing ...The evidence in this case, was tainted there's no way to undo that, and without the presence of any new condemning evidence coming forward , if it went to trial, the defense only has to prove that it was, and it will most likely result in the case, being thrown out (OJ Simpson is a great example of this).

Now was this advice given to John by his attorney, to go and screw up the crime scene in front of police, so if questioned a high profile attorney could say the police were inept ?... Maybe , I doubt it but It cant be ruled out . And Attorney client privlidge, could be invoked if the police were to attempt to question that .

The saddest part of our judicial system in this country, (USA) is that despite mountains of evidence , a technicality can, has, and will let a guilty party walk free, and sadly it doesn't take much as we witnessed in the Simpson case a single mistake by LE let a murderer walk free.

C) all of the above, but not on a high level. I can only speak to my opinion, having spoken about this case with former FBI, and other police agencies over the years , plus my own experience .

Now this is my own opinion, so take it with a grain of salt again this is MY OPINION

I feel the murder was accidental, it seems to me like either the child was struck too hard, or she was pushed into something where she struck her head from there , there are a number of reasons the victim was strangled.

However, remember someone took time to fashion a garotte, if it were panic, id expect to see manual strangulation, or ligature, held by hand , NOONE goes and fashions a weapon and since her hair was found in the knots connecting the paintbrush to the rope, that seems to indicate, it was tied to the paintbrush with the rope still around her neck .

However, I feel IT was made to look like something else, the family panicked, and did their best to cover it up, the police, unexperienced, in these cases, unintentionally allowed the crime scene to be tainted, then knowing the case, would be a failure in court once the FBI and analyst's looked at it , taking down a pillar of the community, on a topic like the murder of their own daughter, a small 6yo pageant queen, may have been a bridge too far for the DA.

So much time has elapsed now, too many independent parties have been brought in to give their "expert" analysis , one who to this day I'm still stunned was, but still i have to say sadly that I feel this child will most likely never receive justice.

At this point the best we can hope for is perhaps a deathbed confession from someone, because new evidence is highly unlikely.

Ill answer as best I can

Unless it was a planned abduction for notoriety that went bad. How else to bring world wide fame to your little girl while living in sleepy Boulder and not in LA?

Unless it was a planned abduction for notoriety that went bad. How else to bring world wide fame to your little girl while living in sleepy Boulder and not in LA?

That indicates planning, however none of the evidence seems to indicate any type of planning at all

Ill answer as best I can

BBM
Why a garrote?
JBRs hair was caught in both knots meaning blonde hair was in the knot on midline at the back of her neck and in the knot tied to the stick. Her gold necklace was also tangled in the knot at the back of her neck.

Using pshop tool, I measured the paintbrush to it's actual length of 4.5" for a screen shot. It was a short stick broken from the piece seen in the paint tote that left particles inside her vagina and deposits on the carpet at her feet. She met her death at the door outside of the windowless hellhole.

JBR died from the tied tightly nylon cord, 45m up to 2 hours, after being hit on the head with enough force to crack her soft skull yet did not break the brain barrier. She may not have suffered brain damage at all once swelling subsided, had she lived albeit the cord, per reporter on Websleuths' YT show.

If those strange red marks were from a torturous struggle, as seen above and below, the deep furrow made from the tight cord, then do we know she was conscious when killed and reacted with self preservation efforts?

I'm reminded of the warnings in the Ransom Note where it is written three separate times: She dies. She dies. She dies.

"A single loop of white cord was around the right wrist, tied on top of the sleeve but so loosely the doctor easily slid it free. There were 15 1/2 inches between that loop and a loop on the other end, which once apparently had bound the left wrist. A white cord of the same type was wrapped so tightly around the throat and neck that a deep horizontal furrow had been dug into the skin. A gold chain and cross were tangled in that ligature, which was tied behind the neck to a broken stick. Blond hair was snared in the knot, and the coroner had to cut the hair in order to remove the cord, which was tied more like a noose than a twisting garrote. The broken paintbrush used as the garrote handle had Korea printed on it. (ST Pg41)"

Attachments

• JB knots.png
    JB knots.png
    471.6 KB · Views: 20
BBM
Why a garrote?
JBRs hair was caught in both knots meaning blonde hair was in the knot on midline at the back of her neck and in the knot tied to the stick. Her gold necklace was also tangled in the knot at the back of her neck.

Using pshop tool, I measured the paintbrush to it's actual length of 4.5" for a screen shot. It was a short stick broken from the piece seen in the paint tote that left particles inside her vagina and deposits on the carpet at her feet. She met her death at the door outside of the windowless hellhole.

JBR died from the tied tightly nylon cord, 45m up to 2 hours, after being hit on the head with enough force to crack her soft skull yet did not break the brain barrier. She may not have suffered brain damage at all once swelling subsided, had she lived albeit the cord, per reporter on Websleuths' YT show.

If those strange red marks were from a torturous struggle, as seen above and below, the deep furrow made from the tight cord, then do we know she was conscious when killed and reacted with self preservation efforts?

I'm reminded of the warnings in the Ransom Note where it is written three separate times: She dies. She dies. She dies.

"A single loop of white cord was around the right wrist, tied on top of the sleeve but so loosely the doctor easily slid it free. There were 15 1/2 inches between that loop and a loop on the other end, which once apparently had bound the left wrist. A white cord of the same type was wrapped so tightly around the throat and neck that a deep horizontal furrow had been dug into the skin. A gold chain and cross were tangled in that ligature, which was tied behind the neck to a broken stick. Blond hair was snared in the knot, and the coroner had to cut the hair in order to remove the cord, which was tied more like a noose than a twisting garrote. The broken paintbrush used as the garrote handle had Korea printed on it. (ST Pg41)"

The scene makes no sense, i saw nowhere where paint flecks were found inside her vagina however, but back to my point

If you look at it as a real kidnapping attempt , the evidence just doesn't add up

SO this "faction" planned to break into a home with obvious security, with the plan to abduct one of the children for ransom, but brought no weapon in case, they were detected?

They didnt bring a ransom note ?, so they knew theyd find paper and a pen in that house, and took the time to make sure the note sounded good? why does that even matter?

Ransom notes don't tell a tale, they don't go into why, and where and who and when, they usually say "if you want to see ___alive again, drop money" and they DONT WRITE THEM AT THE HOUSE !. and one that is over 400 words?

Real kidnappers who are demanding ransom, want nothing more to do with the victims family than their money,they dont want to leave ANY clues to who they are , more info is also more info for the police .

That's it, they usually don't initiate contact with the family beyond that , that's stuff of movies

If you want to abduct a kid from a house, how do you even know there will be paper and a pen anywhere you wont have to search for it ? Again that takes time and even on its face makes no sense at all

Back to the garrote, zero point in finding things in the dark then fashioning a weapon to strangle a child if you have rope at hand , that takes time , theres no need, and every second in that house especially with a living victim in that house , you risk waking someone inside .

So lets say she was killed accidentally, why not still take her body ?, why not plan for ransom anyway? no one knows shes dead?

Lets look at the inverse , if shes dead then WHY write the note ?

If you look at cases, where kids were abducted from their beds, the offender leaves with the child as quickly as possible .

All of those practice notes took time, that indicates someone comfortable enough to write practice notes, and why practice notes at all? Who cares if it doesn't convey the story, you have their kid you want money or else.

The wording in the note betrays the author as someone who THINKS they know what a ransom note i

Sadly in any other large metropolitan police department this case, would most likely been solved, with one of the family members behind bars.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back