Peanuts on planes protected by law

My opinion on serving peanuts on planes is...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It is a small thing I agree. But where does it stop?

If you agree to ban peanuts, for 1% of the population, then what about the immunocompromised? There are many more of them. Would you be willing to be interviewed before your flight and disclose your medical history? To tell them if you are ill, may be getting ill, or have been exposed to a communicable illness? And if your answer is yes, are you willing to be delayed or banned from your flight becauses you may be getting the flu or may have been exposed to the flu?

Or should people who are immunocompromised be discriminated against?

That hasn't happened yet. Let's take each thing as it comes along individually. Here we are talking about possible life and death, not getting a cold. As I stated before I wear a surgical mask when I fly due to a compromised immune system.

That's very interesting you brought that up. I live in the south and we have a huge peanut mill in the middle of town...they extract the oil out of peanuts grown. The smell is delish...but do we shut down their right to make a living, after all, one of our presidents was a peanut farmer. I would venture a guess that all cases of allergy to peanuts here in town will be settled out of court...That's a way more sticky problem.

If you live near a peanut farmer or peanut mill and have a peanut allergy then you're an idiot. This is one instance that I'd have to say move. I hope if anyone sues the mills or farmers they lose.

Hi JBean, I try to go out of my way to make myself invisible on a plane...I just need to see my grandbabies in PA and some in the Philippines. I don't complain much but I can do without peanuts for a while. I just have a bloody mary and sleep the whole trip. I hate that I smoke but it's the only one last remaining habit I have and not quite ready to give that up. :maddening:
Hey Sooner. I think if anyone can make it without a cig, the most addictive substance around, people can make it without peanuts.

This whole argument just blows me away. This is a simple measure that can help others.
I would only complain and make noise if water were taken away from flights. Since water is necessary for life and flying is dehydrating I think that would create a big problem for everyone. But that's about it for me.

There are a lot of food choices for those that need to eat every few hours and I just don't think that peanuts have to necessarily be that food.I am not a fan of most processed foods anyway, so I either carry fresh food with me or eat before I leave and when I land depending on flight time. I don't really know what they serve on planes anymore because I just pass on it without even asking what it is. I flew with my sons yesterday and we just brought our food along and ate it at our leisure.

IMO, to ban peanuts is a non issue. Simple,helpful and not a big deal. We already have to follow strict guidelines for flying, so just add it to the list of things that don't fly when we fly and that's it.

I don't think many people understand how serious severe peanut allergies are. Some people can not be in the same room with them without severe, life threatening reactions.

It's not like perfume allergies, grass allergies, etc.

Peanut allergies are the most dangerous.

Very sad to see people complain about having to possibly give up a snack in order to keep people alive.

JMO

If the allergy is so life-threatening maybe the next step, after the peanut removal on planes, is to have a mandatory face and hand washing? Suppose this terribly allergic passenger is seated next to someone who ate a PB&J sandwich prior to boarding? Suppose someone else on the plane did? In my opinion, anyone who is in fear of their life needs to take their own steps - or maybe another mode of transportation, like their own antiseptic automobile.

Where does it end?

If the allergy is so life-threatening maybe the next step, after the peanut removal on planes, is to have a mandatory face and hand washing? Suppose this terribly allergic passenger is seated next to someone who ate a PB&J sandwich prior to boarding? Suppose someone else on the plane did? In my opinion, anyone who is in fear of their life needs to take their own steps - or maybe another mode of transportation, like their own antiseptic automobile.

Where does it end?

It ends when it becomes too cumbersome. Right now it's not too cumbersome. Nobody HAS to have peanuts.

Hey Sooner. I think if anyone can make it without a cig, the most addictive substance around, people can make it without peanuts.

This whole argument just blows me away. This is a simple measure that can help others.
I would only complain and make noise if water were taken away from flights. Since water is necessary for life and flying is dehydrating I think that would create a big problem for everyone. But that's about it for me.

There are a lot of food choices for those that need to eat every few hours and I just don't think that peanuts have to necessarily be that food.I am not a fan of most processed foods anyway, so I either carry fresh food with me or eat before I leave and when I land depending on flight time. I don't really know what they serve on planes anymore because I just pass on it without even asking what it is. I flew with my sons yesterday and we just brought our food along and ate it at our leisure.

IMO, to ban peanuts is a non issue. Simple,helpful and not a big deal. We already have to follow strict guidelines for flying, so just add it to the list of things that don't fly when we fly and that's it.

I haven't noticed if they sell peanuts at the airport venders. I usually fly Southwest or American and American gives out pretzels in the shape of a "A", SW just regular pretzels.

On all the flights I have taken in the last 3 years, maybe 15, you are not allowed to board with anything you haven't bought after going through security, that includes soda or water, I tried to bring my hubby a Philly Cheesesteak from Philly to Dallas and they wouldn't let me. But I agree with you, there are far more important things to be concerned about, arriving safely and (unless due to weather, since I live in tornado Alley) pretty much on time are my main concerns. I do have compassion for other people and be willing to do my share of sacrificing for anyone in need. I, also feel, as Americans, we tend to think everything is our god given right to do as we please. Make no mistake, I have been guilty of that at times, but when I stop and think about it, is it so important to me to endanger someone else? I say no. I think the airlines have enough to worry about without this becoming a major issue. ( Actually. I had thought peanuts were banned some 12 years ago.) This is just my opinion. Nice to talk to you again, JBean, :gomods: Thanks for all you do for WS!

HAHA I also take my laptop or my phone and read webslueths when I fly!

Apparently, there are some peanut allergies where someone can have a severe reaction just being around someone who ate peanuts the day before. How would that work? Would the person with the allergy let the airline know, and the airline would email all the passengers telling them to avoid peanuts 24 hours before their flight? What about bringing Reese's Cups or even french fries (since they are made in peanut oil, right?) on the plane?

There was a radio host several years ago I used to listen to when I was delivering pizzas during my college years named Bruce Williams. His feeling was that you should always UPS your luggage to your destination rather than put it on the plane. It was good advice then and even better advice now.

The cost is less now since the airlines are charging for bags. You don't have to worry about being spot checked (I was once*), you don't have to worry about items being stolen by luggage handleres and there is a higher percentage your bags won't be lost.

*I went to visit my father in Nebraska and when I opened my suitcase things were jumbled around and there was piece of paper telling me that my luggage had been randomly chosen to be checked out. :maddening:

There was a radio host several years ago I used to listen to when I was delivering pizzas during my college years named Bruce Williams. His feeling was that you should always UPS your luggage to your destination rather than put it on the plane. It was good advice then and even better advice now.

The cost is less now since the airlines are charging for bags. You don't have to worry about being spot checked (I was once*), you don't have to worry about items being stolen by luggage handleres and there is a higher percentage your bags won't be lost.

*I went to visit my father in Nebraska and when I opened my suitcase things were jumbled around and there was piece of paper telling me that my luggage had been randomly chosen to be checked out. :maddening:

Ahhh Good 'ole Cousin Brucie...love him.

That is a good idea...my hubby and I ship our golf clubs to the caribbean and Mexico as we had ours lost. They were finally returned to us AFTER our vacay, bummer

Don't really give a rip about the peanuts...but the Nanny State tries to take my xanax and we are going to war! :rocker:

You made a good point about where an allergic person could go though. If they ban them from planes, you can look for them to be banned from gas stations and grocery stores too. Because someone somewhere might open them in the store, or they might break the packaging accidently.

Or should they be outlawed completely, just to make sure that no one who comes in the physical area of another person could risk eating peanuts, and coming into contact with a person who is allergic.

Apparently, there are some peanut allergies where someone can have a severe reaction just being around someone who ate peanuts the day before. How would that work? Would the person with the allergy let the airline know, and the airline would email all the passengers telling them to avoid peanuts 24 hours before their flight? What about bringing Reese's Cups or even french fries (since they are made in peanut oil, right?) on the plane?

To be fair, airplanes are an enclosed space for the passengers so it doesn't really compare to the examples above. Banning peanuts on a plane would not be too oppressive while the other bans mentioned would be. So, I guess we have to use logic when considering a ban.

Nevertheless, I still question the necessity of such a ban and at least would like a dialogue about it because there is a possibility that because of unfounded fears, bans could spread.

However, someone up-thread mentioned wanting a peaceful flight and avoiding incidents like medical emergencies, real or imagined. That's practical and makes sense. Until science and our fearful society have this sorted out and determine exactly what risks are caused by the rise in peanut allergies, in certain, limited situations, I'm not against a ban. We all have to live together and help each other out. I like common sense and I think it can coexist with compassion.

Wow! I never thought of that possibility. I will definitely be checking that out. Does it work for overseas flights too?

To be fair, airplanes are an enclosed space for the passengers so it doesn't really compare to the examples above. Banning peanuts on a plane would not be too oppressive while the other bans mentioned would be. So, I guess we have to use logic when considering a ban.

Nevertheless, I still question the necessity of such a ban and at least would like a dialogue about it because there is a possibility that because of unfounded fears, bans could spread.

However, someone up-thread mentioned wanting a peaceful flight and avoiding incidents like medical emergencies, real or imagined. That's practical and makes sense. Until science and our fearful society have this sorted out and determine exactly what risks are caused by the rise in peanut allergies, in certain, limited situations, I'm not against a ban. We all have to live together and help each other out. I like common sense and I think it can coexist with compassion.

Wow! I never thought of that possibility. I will definitely be checking that out. Does it work for overseas flights too?

I'd bet you can do it, but international rates are going to be higher.

Don't really give a rip about the peanuts...but the Nanny State tries to take my xanax and we are going to war! :rocker:

It's not nice to take away our xanax....Where is the nanny state? I may have to move....

:fence:

What's next you ask? No snacks at all. Haven't you heard? We're all too fat and we need someone who is much smarter than us to make the rules for us.

:great::great::great::great:

I think I'm in love!

You should have that put on a T-shirt and sell that *****!

:great::great::great::great:

I think I'm in love!

You should have that put on a T-shirt and sell that *****!

but....but....OLG I weigh 90 lbs.. 5'2" I call foul...:maddening::banghead:
for reals.

And I do love your siggie!

It's not nice to take away our xanax....Where is the nanny state? I may have to move....

:fence:

Darling...don't you know...Big Brother is already watching us through our TV and well, that tinfoil hat is looking better all the time!

Lurvs the idea about UPSing my luggage. As for peanuts, I don't care if they have them on the plane. All I would say to those with an allergy is to be super careful anyway, because just they're banned by airlines doesn't mean someone didn't bring peanut products with them, especially since many airlines don't serve free snacks anymore. I always grab something in the airport to take.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg
Back