Penn State Sandusky scandal: AD arrested, Paterno fired, dies; cover-up charged #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jerry Sandusky trial: Alleged victims’ testimonies have ‘a cumulative power’

BELLEFONTE — A legal expert sitting in on the Jerry Sandusky trial said the challenges for the former Penn State coach’s defense team are growing as each witness takes the stand.

“If this were just a ‘he said, he said’ this would be a much harder case for the prosecution to bring,” said Wesley Oliver, a professor at Widener University Law School.

“But each victim’s testimony has very interesting consistencies,” he said. “The big parts are all different, and the little parts are all the same.”........

“Every one of these witnesses says it starts with touching of the leg,” Oliver said. “Three of four said an early scene occurs in water........

“I believe there is a cumulative power in what we’ve seen,” Kline said. “It’s all come together as a web here.”...........

“The witnesses seem to be able to handle the pressures of being in the courtroom,” Gleason said. “For the most part, they’ve been unflappable.”

State College attorney Matt McClenahen called the alleged victims’ testimony “an onslaught” against the defense.

Read more here: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/06/...#storylink=omni_popular#wgt=pop#storylink=cpy

Jerry Sandusky trial: Alleged victims’ testimonies have ‘a cumulative power’

B

“I believe there is a cumulative power in what we’ve seen,” Kline said. “It’s all come together as a web here.”...........

“The witnesses seem to be able to handle the pressures of being in the courtroom,” Gleason said. “For the most part, they’ve been unflappable.”

Read more here: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/06/...#storylink=omni_popular#wgt=pop#storylink=cpy

I actually knew "The Gunner" when I was in the area.

Jurors will have to read the transcript. (on background, but not described to jury: a clip of the audio from the Costas interview was, for some reason, repeated. So when Costas asked Jerry if he's sexually attracted to young boy, Jerry pauses and repeats the question. In the audio played in court, for some reason, the audio looped back to Costas asking the question again and jerry pausing and repeating the question again … then the audio played the rest)
by WGAL 3:21 PM
From News 8's Matt Barcaro:

Day Four – Afternoon -- Judge, in explaining why it took a long time to re-start session after the lunch break: "There are things that arrive during the trial that are unexpected and unanticipated. Sometimes things happen that we don't plan or anticipate."

The judge told the jury that there were errors in the audio of the Bob Costas/Jerry Sandusky interview that the prosecution played.

The judge said -- Jurors will get corrected transcript from the Bob Costas interview. We won't replay the audio again in court.
by WGAL 3:20 PM
Investigators have revealed how they found many of the accusers in the Jerry Sandusky case…They say Sandusky himself helped them dramatically. (when they were looking for victims, they found pictures of boys and lists of boys attending summer camps in a closet that housed Sandusky's abandoned files)by WGAL 3:18 PM

Read more: http://livewire.wgal.com/Event/WGALs_Jerry_Sandusky_trial_coverage#ixzz1xnUEdGmd

Jerry Sandusky spending the rest of his life in a jail cell, is good for everyone who has followed this tragedy.

And, we all know what happens to child molesters and killers when they're locked up: They get what they deserve. <modsnip> :blushing:

Also on the list are handwritten names of 9 and 1 (and others) with "medium" and different numbers next to them. In other years' camper lists, prosecution points out the names of other accusers with handwritten stars next to them.
by WGAL 3:27 PM

Sassano also said they found a -- "Camper list"&#8230;list of kids who attended Second Mile camps at PSU. List found through search warrant in a briefcase in a closet in Sandusky's house. It's a list of camper's names, addresses and phone numbers. There are 2 handwritten asterisks next to Accuser 9's name. There's a handwritten asterisk next to Accuser 1's name.

Prosecutors show another list of names and addresses. There's a dash beside Accuser 9's name, and a handwritten notation of 9's mother's name and phone number. Similar notations are written next to Accuser 1's name.

Read more: http://livewire.wgal.com/Event/WGALs_Jerry_Sandusky_trial_coverage#ixzz1xnVsBw5E

Sassano also said they found the handwritten notes on PSU letter head addressed to Accuser 4 in the boxes of documents in the storage room – They also found the "contract" here.
by WGAL 3:28 PM
Also on the list are handwritten names of 9 and 1 (and others) with "medium" and different numbers next to them. In other years' camper lists, prosecution points out the names of other accusers with handwritten stars next to them.
Sassano also said they found a -- "Camper list"…list of kids who attended Second Mile camps at PSU. List found through search warrant in a briefcase in a closet in Sandusky's house. It's a list of camper's names, addresses and phone numbers. There are 2 handwritten asterisks next to Accuser 9's name. There's a handwritten asterisk next to Accuser 1's name.

Prosecutors show another list of names and addresses. There's a dash beside Accuser 9's name, and a handwritten notation of 9's mother's name and phone number. Similar notations are written next to Accuser 1's name.
Attorney general agent reveals centre co DA got anonymous email saying to talk to mike mcqueary. That's how police found out about incident
by 8CumbCoReport via twitter 3:26 PM
Sassano also said -- Investigators found pictures of the accusers in the Sandusky house. Accuser 1 at a wrestling match, Accuser 1 with Sandusky and a dog (1 has wet hair), 1 participating in a track meet.
by WGAL 3:25 PM
Sassano says -- We issued subpoenas to Penn State and PSU wasn't too quick in getting back to them. He describes the Sandusky's basement as like an arcade, there are many games set up to play. There's always a bedroom in the basement with a water bed.
by WGAL 3:25 PM
Sassano says -- We obtained the book "Touched" (Sandusky's autobiography), saw pictures in the book with him and boys, and investigators tried to identified the boys in the pictures. Then, investigators went to talk to them. Some boys helped identify other boys in the pictures. They also obtained photos from Sandusky's house and got pictures from PSU, in a storage room where Sandusky's abandoned office supplies were kept, approximately 18 boxes of stuff -- containing video tapes, documents, photos (Accuser 4 in one of the pictures wearing Lavar Arrington's uniform, posing with one hand behind his head, posing in Heisman stance, many pictures of 4).
by WGAL 3:24 PM
Sassano said -- It was a daunting task to try to get other victims to come forward. Everyone here saw these young men who testified…to get them to admit they were sexually abused by a man was a daunting task. Judge Cleland cut Sassano off in mid-sentence and asks the attorneys to come up to his desk. They're up for a few seconds. The judge then tells Frank Fina to approach his witness. He whispers something in Sassano's ear. Testimony continues.
by WGAL 3:23 PM
Anthony Sassano, an agent in the Attorney General's Office, and a PSU grad, took the stand. Sassano joined the Sandusky case in April/May 2009.

The Sandusky investigation began in December 2008, when Accuser 1 came forward and made allegations against "(pointing to sandusky) that man right there, the grey-haired Jerry Sandusky"

An anonymous email was sent to Centre County DA…it referenced the Sandusky investigation and said someone should talk to Mike McQueary -- this is how investigators found out about Alleged Victim 2.
by WGAL 3:22 PM
Jurors will have to read the transcript. (on background, but not described to jury: a clip of the audio from the Costas interview was, for some reason, repeated. So when Costas asked Jerry if he's sexually attracted to young boy, Jerry pauses and repeats the question. In the audio played in court, for some reason, the audio looped back to Costas asking the question again and jerry pausing and repeating the question again … then the audio played the rest)
by WGAL 3:21 PM
From News 8's Matt Barcaro:

Read more: http://livewire.wgal.com/Event/WGALs_Jerry_Sandusky_trial_coverage#ixzz1xnWCbPs2

Sassano saw Accuser 4 standing with Sandusky on the sidelines of the Alamo Bowl in Texas in a clip he saw on TV when WTAJ ran a story about Sandusky's pending arrest. Sassano found records of the football team itinerary from the Alamo Bowl, shows Sandusky was the only one who requested a cot for his hotel room.
by WGAL 3:30 PM

Investigators also found a Sports Illustrated from 1999 with an article about Sandusky in it. Handwriting on the article: "To (Accuser 4), you will always be special." There was some more writing after that.
by WGAL 3:29 PM

Sassano also said they found the handwritten notes on PSU letter head addressed to Accuser 4 in the boxes of documents in the storage room &#8211; They also found the "contract" here.

Read more: http://livewire.wgal.com/Event/WGALs_Jerry_Sandusky_trial_coverage#ixzz1xnWTAI53

Sassano saw Accuser 4 standing with Sandusky on the sidelines of the Alamo Bowl in Texas in a clip he saw on TV when WTAJ ran a story about Sandusky's pending arrest. Sassano found records of the football team itinerary from the Alamo Bowl, shows Sandusky was the only one who requested a cot for his hotel room.
by WGAL 3:30 PM

Investigators also found a Sports Illustrated from 1999 with an article about Sandusky in it. Handwriting on the article: "To (Accuser 4), you will always be special." There was some more writing after that.
by WGAL 3:29 PM

Sassano also said they found the handwritten notes on PSU letter head addressed to Accuser 4 in the boxes of documents in the storage room – They also found the "contract" here.

Read more: http://livewire.wgal.com/Event/WGALs_Jerry_Sandusky_trial_coverage#ixzz1xnWTAI53

More damning evidence.

Questions about Dottie and what she knew and how she handled it are on my mind too, SyraKelly.

From my experience with women I have known, I have found there are women who will look past a husband's behavior mainly because they are helpless. They have a lot at stake. They are settled into a certain lifestyle and standing in the community among friends, family and just aquaintances. They would rather look the other way instead of giving up what they have. Or doing anything that will intrupt the life and status they have.

Sure, in the aftermath, these women look as if they accepted the behavior or were too dumb to see it. But the idea is that they don't have the courage to turn in their husband, or kick him out, because they are dependent on him for their entire life and livelyhood.

I don't agree with that measure but I can see where it would be the only choice they would consider in order to "save" themselves and their children. They are playing a fool's game.
jmo
Your points are well taken. I think this case may be different though. Dottie was known as SARGE. I think she was the boss of that household. She knew Jerry's sexual preference was young boys, she accepted it, and she even promoted it. (Examples of her promoting Jer's pedophilia: Sarge and Jer took the one victim with them to the out-of-state bowl game. SHE let boys sleep over at HER already crowded house. SHE provided food to Jer's victims who were lodged in HER basement.)

Sarge could have said "no" to Jer raping boys in HER home. She didn't have to turn him in to LE to just say "not in MY house" to his perversions. Something really stinks about Sarge!

Sassano reads a story Accuser 4 talked about. The story was handwritten by Sandusky and references how Accuser 4 was pushing him away and trying to end the relationship. Here are some excerpts from the story:

"Inch by inch it has choked him and taken over&#8230;his enthusiasm has been replaced by sleep. 'tell me another story, Jer' has been replaced by 'I don't care'&#8230;there is fear it has reached his inside, destroying his insides. Jer would love it to have good times back..Jer may not be worthy but he needs a 'best friend'"

"Regardless we have had an experience that others won't. Jer will not forget"

Sassano also read "The Great Pretenders," another note Sandusky wrote to Accuser 4.
by WGAL 3:33 PM
Sassano also showed a TV Guide from Feb. 9, 2001 that shows that the movie Rudy played on TV that night (this was to corroborate Mike McQueary's timeline of his events, which came under question by defense attorney Joe Amendola. McQueary said on the night he witnessed Sandusky molesting a boy in the shower, he had watched Rudy.)
by WGAL 3:31 PM

Read more: http://livewire.wgal.com/Event/WGALs_Jerry_Sandusky_trial_coverage#ixzz1xnYrgNMe

Your points are well taken. I think this case may be different though. Dottie was known as SARGE. I think she was the boss of that household. She knew Jerry's sexual preference was young boys, she accepted it, and she even promoted it. (Examples of her promoting Jer's pedophilia: Sarge and Jer took the one victim with them to the out-of-state bowl game. SHE let boys sleep over at HER already crowded house. SHE provided food to Jer's victims who were lodged in HER basement.)

Sarge could have said "no" to Jer raping boys in HER home. She didn't have to turn him in to LE to just say "not in MY house" to his perversions. Something really stinks about Sarge!

Wonder how Dottie will hold up under cross-examination?

During the cross – Amendola confirms the "Great Pretenders" note was in fact a form every kid in a Second Mile camp gets upon completion of camp (and, therefore, not specifically addressed to 4)
by WGAL 3:36 PM
As Sassano is testifying, police officer who's stationed behind the judge's bench hands over a piece of paper to the judge. The judge reads it and shakes his head in confirmation. This happened without interrupting testimony.
by WGAL 3:35 PM
Defense attorney Joe Amendola then cross-examined Sassano.

Amendola made sure it was clear that Matt Sandusky, Joe's adopted son, also went along to the Outback and Alamo bowls with Jerry, Dottie (Jerry's wife) and Accuser 4.

Read more: http://livewire.wgal.com/Event/WGALs_Jerry_Sandusky_trial_coverage#ixzz1xnZzyMxS

Note: take it away amandab! we're having a storm here and i may have to shut down....thanks!

During the cross &#8211; Amendola confirms the "Great Pretenders" note was in fact a form every kid in a Second Mile camp gets upon completion of camp (and, therefore, not specifically addressed to 4)
by WGAL 3:36 PM
As Sassano is testifying, police officer who's stationed behind the judge's bench hands over a piece of paper to the judge. The judge reads it and shakes his head in confirmation. This happened without interrupting testimony.
Defense attorney Joe Amendola then cross-examined Sassano.

Amendola made sure it was clear that Matt Sandusky, Joe's adopted son, also went along to the Outback and Alamo bowls with Jerry, Dottie (Jerry's wife) and Accuser 4.

Read more: http://livewire.wgal.com/Event/WGALs_Jerry_Sandusky_trial_coverage#ixzz1xnZzyMxS

Amendola is building this defense: Matt was there and didn't see anything. Dottie was there, and didn't see anything.

Second Mile must have put out a lot of money that aided Sandusky in the grooming of the victims. Hopefully there are expense reports.

Thanks so much reader and amandab! :blowkiss:

I keep having to jump offline for this and that, and now it's time to cook supper.

Also found a contract that was signed by one of the alleged victims who testified and #Sandusky. Was paid $60 per wk as part of contract

by audsnyder4 via twitter 3:13 PM

*speechless* :what:

Second Mile must have put out a lot of money that aided Sandusky in the grooming of the victims. Hopefully there are expense reports.

You know what? I bet Jerry bought them the best paper shredder money can buy. :maddening:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels