Penn State Sandusky scandal: AD arrested, Paterno, Spanier fired; coverup charged #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess this was a conflict of interest.

Ex-District Attorney referred Sandusky case due to wife’s family tie

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. — A former Pennsylvania county prosecutor said Wednesday that he referred an allegation that former Penn State assistant coach Jerry Sandusky had sexually abused a child to state prosecutors because his wife’s brother was Sandusky’s adopted son.

Former Centre County District Attorney Michael Madeira told The Associated Press that he cited the possible conflict of interest in passing the 2009 report to the state attorney general’s office, which at the time was headed by now-Gov. Tom Corbett.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/jerry-sandusky-is-he-a-christian-61960/

BBM

From the New York Times "Quad" Sports Blog: Former Assistant of Paterno speaking out:

http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ts-a-less-than-flattering-picture-of-paterno/

“The parallels between Joe’s kingdom, the power and control he wields over his minions, and the very lax and deceptive response he made in 2002 to the report his prized assistant was seen sodomizing a child in the showers, and the Catholic Church’s power, control, and deceit in covering up its massive sexual abuse scandal are striking, yet not surprising to me.

“I worked on the other side of the ball from Jerry, but found him very talented with kids, albeit a bit more grabby and touchy with the many young kids surrounding him and his not for profit program, The Second Mile. It appeared he had boundary issues. Memories of this now make my stomach queasy.”

I guess this was a conflict of interest.

Ex-District Attorney referred Sandusky case due to wife’s family tie

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. — A former Pennsylvania county prosecutor said Wednesday that he referred an allegation that former Penn State assistant coach Jerry Sandusky had sexually abused a child to state prosecutors because his wife’s brother was Sandusky’s adopted son.

Former Centre County District Attorney Michael Madeira told The Associated Press that he cited the possible conflict of interest in passing the 2009 report to the state attorney general’s office, which at the time was headed by now-Gov. Tom Corbett.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/jerry-sandusky-is-he-a-christian-61960/

BBM

Did this Prosecutor work with Ray Gricar, the guy who disappeared? :waitasec: If he did, it might explain why the Grand Jury never found enough to indict - duh!

You can't make this stuff up, can you?

From the New York Times "Quad" Sports Blog: Former Assistant of Paterno speaking out:

http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ts-a-less-than-flattering-picture-of-paterno/

“The parallels between Joe’s kingdom, the power and control he wields over his minions, and the very lax and deceptive response he made in 2002 to the report his prized assistant was seen sodomizing a child in the showers, and the Catholic Church’s power, control, and deceit in covering up its massive sexual abuse scandal are striking, yet not surprising to me.

“I worked on the other side of the ball from Jerry, but found him very talented with kids, albeit a bit more grabby and touchy with the many young kids surrounding him and his not for profit program, The Second Mile. It appeared he had boundary issues. Memories of this now make my stomach queasy.”

Wow. That is some article. Boundary issues has to be the understatement of the day, yet, it's often the first indicator of a problem. I have to believe that others must have observed the same thing over the years.

NBC Philadelphia:

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/133980738.html

A day after e-mails from Mike McQueary were leaked to the public, stating that he did in fact have “discussions with police” about allegedly witnessing Penn State coach Jerry Sandusky raping a boy in the football showers, State College Police Chief Tom King told NBC that McQueary never talked to police.

“Absolutely not. We don't have any records of him coming to us,” King said when asked by NBC’s Alison Kartevold if McQueary ever reported the child-sex allegation.

King says police received no reports of child sexual assault by Sandusky, aside from the investigation in 1998 that went nowhere. The alleged assault that McQueary testified about to a grand jury happened in 2002.

Did this Prosecutor work with Ray Gricar, the guy who disappeared? :waitasec: If he did, it might explain why the Grand Jury never found enough to indict - duh!

You can't make this stuff up, can you?

Gricar's successor, Centre County District Attorney Michael Madeira, says he sent the hard drive to Kroll Ontrack after earlier analyses failed to recover any data. (September 23, 2008)

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2008/09/gricars_computer_hard_drive_yi.html

NBC Philadelphia:

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/133980738.html

A day after e-mails from Mike McQueary were leaked to the public, stating that he did in fact have “discussions with police” about allegedly witnessing Penn State coach Jerry Sandusky raping a boy in the football showers, State College Police Chief Tom King told NBC that McQueary never talked to police.

“Absolutely not. We don't have any records of him coming to us,” King said when asked by NBC’s Alison Kartevold if McQueary ever reported the child-sex allegation.

King says police received no reports of child sexual assault by Sandusky, aside from the investigation in 1998 that went nowhere. The alleged assault that McQueary testified about to a grand jury happened in 2002.

So the question is, did he or didn't he go to the police? Are there some kind of lesser renta cop police on campus that would take a report and file it away forever?
The other think that I can't figure out about McQueary is this: If he truly stopped the 2002 attack and reported it, then what the heck happened between him and Sandusky in the intervening years? When they ran into each other in the hallowed halls what did they say to each other? How ya doin'? Have a nice day? It's impossible for me to believe that they avoided each other for 9-10 years. Very, very strange.

Back up your statements with facts, please. See my post located three posts above this one.

Every word of my post came from the link provided. Apparently your information says otherwise and I thank you for sharing it. I will also point out that I didn't dig this article up. The link was posted up thread before I commented on it.

We should ALL try to back our comments up with fact, as we understand it, from the media sources. That's why I make very few comments without a link.

Quote:

The Pennsylvania State Police were involved in investigating this and they found that Penn State had nothing to do with this bs! This is SPIN. The President of a female black group on the main college campus stated someone was sending her hate messages. Later in a city far, far awy from her, a black man (later stated to be a drug dealer and NOT a student) was found dead a mile from the Wilkes-Barre campus. This campus is about 4 hours away from where Joe Paterno coached.

Months later, another black male (not a student either) was found dead from a gunshot wound in a small town near State College. This body was NOT found in the location stated in the threatening email to the black student leader. This black student group tried to connect this homicides to Penn State, but THIS TOWN WAS 20 MILES AWAY FROM ANY PENN STATE CAMPUS.

I hate to remind you guys this, but homicide in the leading cause of death in young black males in the USA and this is not Penn State's fault.

This was not a coverup by Penn State, Joe Paterno or Santa Claus. The State Police, which is the HIGHEST LEVEL of law enforcement in Pennsylvania, investigated this bs and found that these deaths were completely UNRELATED to Penn State.

Penn State put metal detectors at every entrance of the graduation ceremony so all the students would feel safe. They held meetings with the black groups and involved the State Police. Penn State did all kinds of things to appease the black students. The donated a million dollars to different groups and agreed to hire more black professors. This is NOT inaction.

There are racist idiots everywhere and Penn State cannot control their behavior.

Edit- The email to the black student leader was traced to a computer located TWO HUNDRED MILES FROM THE BLACK LEADER'S CAMPUS.
http://archives.cnn.com/2001/US/05/01/penn.state.racism.02/

Respectfully Pensfan, I read the article and didn't see Ms. Wolfe or Ms. Richards say that anyone affiliated with Penn State was responsible for the letters or the murder, but rather that Paterno and the administration didn't take the hostility and threats toward black players seriously.

Paterno is known for his deadpan deliveries during press conferences after Penn State games, win or lose. But this wasn’t a game. Students were fearful for their lives. That year, Penn State was experiencing an unusual losing season – a big deal in the college franchise that spawned multiple national championships and undefeated seasons under Paterno’s 45-year reign. Much vitriol was aimed at Penn State’s black quarterback – also unusual in Penn State’s mostly white quarterbacked history – Casey, who along with losing games was arrested in the off-season for fighting a white cop, allegedly over the cop’s African American date. Casey was cleared of those charges, but even Paterno admitted that the quarterback remained the target of hate mail.

Lawyer: Jerry Sandusky TV interview made alleged victim more willing to tell story (pennlive.com)
In a televised interview with NBC News Monday night, the lawyer for Jerry Sandusky, former Penn State coach charged with sexually assaulting boys, said that some of the alleged victims from a grand jury investigation of the case will say they weren't victimized. One victim's lawyer told the New York Times that that's not the case.
---
“Mr. Sandusky suggested in some of his comments about the victims that maybe people were backing off,” lawyer Ben Andreozzi of Harrisburg is quoted in the New York Times. “My client heard that and has dug in his heels. He is feeling more comfortable about going through with this. The comments maybe backfired. They have caused victims to be more motivated to testify against him.”
---
more at link above

Respectfully Pensfan, I read the article and didn't see Ms. Wolfe or Ms. Richards say that anyone affiliated with Penn State was responsible for the letters or the murder, but rather that Paterno and the administration didn't take the hostility and threats toward black players seriously.

That article from newsone (Who the heck is that unknown organization anyway?) was SPIN. Where is the proof that this incident happened? <modsnip> This is how newsone (the source) defines itself: Latest news from a Black perspective with stories and opinions you won't read anywhere else (but should).

<modsnip>, what should Joe Paterno have done? Was Joe Paterno the head of campus police? Was he an FBI agent? Was he omniscient? Should Joe Pa have rented a 2S1 Gvozdika tank with a howitzer and drove throughout the state seeking to eliminate all racists? WTH?

Besides firebombing all cities in Pennsylvania to kill all potential racists, what else could Penn State administration have done about a racist (that lived 200 miles away) sending a female student hate-filled emails or some black students stating that they felt racism on campus? (Realize that Penn State has 80,000 students.)

Here is what was published that Penn State did in relation to the threatening emails that were sent to the black female group leader and statement that black students experienced racism on campus. There may be more things, but this was 11 years ago and I can't find many articles on this topic.
1. They involved the highest law enforcement agency in Pennsylvania.
2. They held numerous meeting with the NAACP and black student groups.
3. They held sensitivity programs on campus.
4. They installed metal detectors at every entrance to the graduation ceremony.
5. The paid more police officers to be present during the graduation ceremony.
6. They shelled out MILLIONS of $$$$ to black campus groups and their interests
7. They hired more black professors.

Informative article from Sports Illustrated, will appear in Nov 21st 2011 issue.

Special Report: Scandal. Shame. A search for answers at Penn State.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/magazine/11/16/penn.st/index.html#ixzz1dus3qGLP
Several pages long, it gives quite a bit of background, perspective.
"I don't think I've ever been associated with a case where that type of eyewitness identification of sex acts [took] place where the police weren't called," Noonan told reporters, echoing the speculation already expressed by so many others that Penn State administrators had covered up Sandusky's crimes to protect the image of the university. "I don't think I've ever seen something like this before."

Frank Noonan (referenced above) is the State Police Commissioner. Obviously, this story is evolving. It remains to be seen whether or not an actual police report was ever filed.

That article from newsone (Who the heck is that unknown organization anyway?) was SPIN. Where is the proof that this incident happened? <modsnip> This is how newsone (the source) defines itself: Latest news from a Black perspective with stories and opinions you won't read anywhere else (but should).

Was Joe Paterno the head of campus police? Was he an FBI agent? Was he omniscient? Should Joe Pa have rented a 2S1 Gvozdika tank with a howitzer and drove throughout the state seeking to eliminate all racists? WTH?

Besides firebombing all cities in Pennsylvania to kill all potential racists, what else could Penn State have done about a racist (that lived 200 miles away) sending a female student hate-filled emails or or some black students stating that they felt racism on campus? (Realize that Penn State has 80,000 students.)

Here is what was published that Penn State did in relation to the threatening emails that were sent to the black female group leader. There may be more things, but this was 11 years ago and I can't find many articles on this topic.
1. They involved the highest law enforcement agency in Pennsylvania.
2. They held numerous meeting with the NAACP and black student groups.
3. They held sensitivity programs on campus.
4. They installed metal detectors at every entrance to the graduation ceremony.
5. The paid more police officers to be present during the graduation ceremony.
6. They shelled out MILLIONS to black campus groups and their interests
7. They hired more black professors.

Well, I'm glad to see that people aren't taking this personally...

<modsnip>

No one ever claimed that the sainted JoePa was omniscient, and I can't speak to his demeanor at the "alleged" meeting - simply commenting on the article.

Penn State powerless to keep Sandusky off campus

(Reuters) - Penn State says alleged child sex abuser Jerry Sandusky is "not welcome" on its campus, but the university so far has no legal recourse to keep the former assistant football coach away.

and

The ruling placed no restrictions on his travel. Sandusky's lawyer, Joe Amendola, advised Sandusky and his wife to take a trip ahead of the next legal proceeding to clear his head, he told CNN.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/16/us-usa-crime-coach-campus-idUSTRE7AF1WZ20111116

Paterno up for $500K pension; Sandusky gets $60K

Quote: Paterno's pension records obtained Tuesday from the State Employees' Retirement System credit him with more than 60 years in the system. The formula used to determine benefits makes him eligible for a pension equal to 100 percent of the average of his three highest-salary years.

His pay rose from $541,000 to $568,000 over the past three full calendar years.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57325860/paterno-up-for-$500k-pension-sandusky-gets-$60k/

Stay focused on the issue at hand, and please be civil to and respectful of one another. Lots of better places to direct our anger and frustration than at each other, peeps.

Where this post falls is random, and
:tyou:

Penn State May Seek Immunity After Skirting Public Laws

Nov. 16 (Bloomberg) -- Pennsylvania State University, after years of skirting public-school rules, may claim protection from liability under commonwealth laws that shield government entities, if it faces suits related to a child-sex scandal.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/artic...omberg_articlesLURXB21A74E9.DTL#ixzz1duxtJxLm

This article might be of interest as well:

As reporters go over every detail of the Penn State scandal, including employee records, e-mails and personal information, there are some details they will not be able to discover. You can thank recently-ousted school president Graham Spanier for that.

Spanier fought for and won an exemption from Pennsylvania's Right to Know Law that requires state employees and offices to provide all pertinent information to the taxpayers funding it.

Full:
http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-footba...l-exemption-right-know-law-state-open-records

This is really funny. For years Penn State has refused the open book laws for schools by saying they are not a State school.

Now to protect themselves from lawsuits they might claim they are a state school. Of course the down side to that is they have to open their books.

Nov. 16 (Bloomberg) -- Pennsylvania State University, after years of skirting public-school rules, may claim protection from liability under commonwealth laws that shield government entities, if it faces suits related to a child-sex scandal.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/artic...omberg_articlesLURXB21A74E9.DTL#ixzz1dv812jqM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member