Penn State Sandusky scandal: AD arrested, Paterno, Spanier fired; coverup charged #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jerry Sandusky Case NBC Correspondent Arrested Courting Exclusive Interview

An NBC Correspondent was arrested last week after allegedly getting wasted at a party thrown by Jerry Sandusky's lawyer ... TMZ has learned.

The Correspondent -- Jay Gray -- was invited by attorney Joe Amendola to watch the New York Giants game at his house on December 11. Amendola invited reporters from other media outlets as well, all of whom were vying for an exclusive interview with Sandusky.

One source familiar with the party tells TMZ ... Gray got "really drunk" during the game. Sometime after midnight, Gray left the party and began driving. He was stopped by a Pennsylvania State Police officer for a traffic violation, which quickly turned into a DUI stop.

According to police records obtained by TMZ, "He [Gray] had been drinking and was arrested for DUI." The time of arrest was 1:45 AM on December 12.

We left messages for Gray but did not hear back. Ditto Amendola.

NBC had no comment.

http://www.tmz.com/2011/12/20/jerry-sandusky-nbc-correspondent-arrested-dui/#.TvDVVHrAODc

Legendary Columnist Bill Conlin Resigns Over Forthcoming Philly Inquirer Bombshell

The Philadelphia Inquirer's top investigative reporter, Nancy Phillips, has written a story containing what we're told are allegations of child molestation against sportswriter Bill Conlin, a longtime columnist at the rival Daily News. Conlin resigned just moments ago, according to a source at the Daily News.

Conlin, who turns 78 this May, won the Ford C. Frick J.G. Taylor Spink Award last May. The story supposedly will drop soon (the newspapers are published by the same company, sharing some resources and a website but otherwise competing for a number of the same readers). Conlin has hired an attorney to defend himself against the piece. We'll have more details on this. For now, we can tell you that Conlin is at his condo in Largo, Fla.

http://deadspin.com/5869737/legenda...ns-over-forthcoming-philly-inquirer-bombshell

I know we shouldn't blame parents but those parents were foolish. JMO I'll cut them some slack in that it was the seventies and things are a lot different now but when you have three girls and a boy talking to their parents about it then at least one of you should call the cops.

Pennsfan said: "Someone on the last thread posted that Sarge was an elementary school teacher, but I can't find any more info on this."
You are right. What I posted was a quote of a quote that had changed quite a bit- I've found the original and the student teacher was Dorothy's daughter and it wasn't a yearly event.
Here's a url and excerpt of the story:

Ben Jones: A Not So Happy Valley. Understanding State College's Shock
Nov 8
http://www.statecollege.com/news/co...ey-understanding-state-colleges-shock-955865/
Ben Jones covers Penn State football and basketball for StateCollege.com.
Excerpt:
In 1994 I was in kindergarten... During that school year, Jerry Sandusky’s daughter was my class’ student teacher. Sometime during the middle of the school year, the idea came up that we would have picnic at the Sanduskys' house. They lived just on the other side of the chainlink fence that surrounded the playground. It was perhaps only 100 yards from the school, separated only by a few trees and bushes.
Given that the Sanduskys' daughter was our student teacher, we all thought it was pretty awesome that we got to meet her dad and see where she lived. On top of that, we would be the only class that got to visit. It was a one-time deal, which made it all the more exciting.
Once our permission slips were signed, we made the short walk to the Sanduskys' house. Jerry and his wife, Dottie, welcomed us in and we made our way to their basement, where cookies and milk were laid out for us to eat. After we ate our food, Jerry talked to us about football, we watched a little film from the last game and then we headed back to the school.

Pennsfan said: "Someone on the last thread posted that Sarge was an elementary school teacher, but I can't find any more info on this."
You are right. What I posted was a quote of a quote that had changed quite a bit- I've found the original and the student teacher was Dorothy's daughter and it wasn't a yearly event.
Here's a url and excerpt of the story:

Ben Jones: A Not So Happy Valley. Understanding State College's Shock
Nov 8
http://www.statecollege.com/news/co...ey-understanding-state-colleges-shock-955865/
Ben Jones covers Penn State football and basketball for StateCollege.com.
Excerpt:
In 1994 I was in kindergarten... During that school year, Jerry Sandusky’s daughter was my class’ student teacher. Sometime during the middle of the school year, the idea came up that we would have picnic at the Sanduskys' house. They lived just on the other side of the chainlink fence that surrounded the playground. It was perhaps only 100 yards from the school, separated only by a few trees and bushes.
Given that the Sanduskys' daughter was our student teacher, we all thought it was pretty awesome that we got to meet her dad and see where she lived. On top of that, we would be the only class that got to visit. It was a one-time deal, which made it all the more exciting.
Once our permission slips were signed, we made the short walk to the Sanduskys' house. Jerry and his wife, Dottie, welcomed us in and we made our way to their basement, where cookies and milk were laid out for us to eat. After we ate our food, Jerry talked to us about football, we watched a little film from the last game and then we headed back to the school.

I wonder if the daughter is still a teacher? Seems as if we would have heard more about it if she was.

What that story confirms is the idea of kids eating in the basement, which one of the victims swore was true, but which Dottie denied the other day. Why feed them in the basement? I'm pretty sure that was Jerry's idea - I bet he was on cloud nine that day.

"No child who ever visited our home was ever forced to stay in our basement and fed there," she said. "All the kids who visited us ate with us and our kids and other guests when they were at our home."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/jerry-sanduskys-wife-denies-sex-abuse/story?id=15114113

The below opinion piece is completely outrageous. Yet, at the same time, it kind of makes sense. :confused:

What this shows is that people’s reactions to a brand name are tied to complex responses related to the brand and themselves. As a result, at certain point “Penn State” will have -- if it hasn’t already—become toxic, meaning that people will automatically, and involuntarily, experience a negative reaction whenever they encounter it.

That’s the science. Here’s an anecdote to illustrate how this plays out in the real world. Last week, a colleague of mine related how he had seen someone at Rockefeller Center wearing a Penn State jacket. The name made him angry –angry enough to seriously consider approaching the man and giving him a piece of his mind about the school.

Yes, the name has to go, along with the “We are Penn State” cheer heard at every game, the jackets, banners, logos and other references to this damaged identifier.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/12/20/why-penn-state-needs-to-change-its-namenow/#ixzz1hAl24AK0

Jerry Sandusky Case NBC Correspondent Arrested Courting Exclusive Interview

An NBC Correspondent was arrested last week after allegedly getting wasted at a party thrown by Jerry Sandusky's lawyer ... TMZ has learned.

The Correspondent -- Jay Gray -- was invited by attorney Joe Amendola to watch the New York Giants game at his house on December 11. Amendola invited reporters from other media outlets as well, all of whom were vying for an exclusive interview with Sandusky.

One source familiar with the party tells TMZ ... Gray got "really drunk" during the game. Sometime after midnight, Gray left the party and began driving. He was stopped by a Pennsylvania State Police officer for a traffic violation, which quickly turned into a DUI stop.

According to police records obtained by TMZ, "He [Gray] had been drinking and was arrested for DUI." The time of arrest was 1:45 AM on December 12.

We left messages for Gray but did not hear back. Ditto Amendola.

NBC had no comment.

http://www.tmz.com/2011/12/20/jerry-sandusky-nbc-correspondent-arrested-dui/#.TvDVVHrAODc

I wonder why the host didn't arrange for a cab to transport his intoxicated guest? It sounds like Gray was visibly drunk at the party. Moo

My husband and I watched a Frontline special on PBS last night about Bernie Madoff the Wall Street scammer who bilked thousands out of their life savings before finally being arrested.

What does this have to do with Sandusky? Because Madoff was protected by the same type of "look the other way" protection from colleagues who just wanted the money to keep flowing to them. It was selfish and greedy and narrow-minded, but no one wanted to rock the boat, even if it meant that innocent victims had their finances destroyed.

To me that is what happened at Penn State - Wall Street is just another version, and also mainly a "good old boys club" where they cover for one another.

The SEC just took Madoff's word that everything was fine, and that nothing was going on, even though there were whistleblowers with 600 page reports and people trying to figure out how someone could get so rich while the Stock Market was crashing. It took years before he was finally arrested, and only after the eyes of the world turned to what was going on.

It just goes to show that when there's money, prestige and power involved, people will see whatever they want to see, and denial can keep a problem from coming to light for years. But what gives me hope is that Madoff eventually went to jail and the victims got some restitution - and it would be sweet justice if the same thing happened for the victims of Sandusky.

David Woodle, acting CEO, refused to address concerns raised by board members about Raykovitz’s handling of information regarding the 2002 shower incident, saying to do so would be a distraction from the goal of helping serve children.

Also from the above link. Really, what did he mean by that? Serving children up to pedophiles? jk

David Woodle, acting CEO, refused to address concerns raised by board members about Raykovitz’s handling of information regarding the 2002 shower incident, saying to do so would be a distraction from the goal of helping serve children.

Also from the above link. Really, what did he mean by that? Serving children up to pedophiles? jk

OMG ~ really bad choice of words on his part!

Still chuckling guiltily on that one.

"Vsganim Sara Ganim
Joe Amendola told me Dottie and Jerry #Sandusky want to talk to Oprah, 60min, Rock Center or Barbara Walters after Jan.1
https://twitter.com/#!/sganim
"

I would much rather have the both of them talk to Dr. Phil. I would love to hear that exchange. "It's butt to the curb kicking time."

Remembering how JS incriminated and revealed himself in his previous interviews....perhaps Dottie will now incriminate herself and reveal more than she means to...

I can just hear Amendola reminding her...'all the children ate with the family, never in the basement!'...LOL

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefoo...ation-Penn-State-Nittany-Lions-scandal-122111

Wednesday marked Joe Paterno's 85th birthday, a milestone moment for a legendary sports figure. Seven weeks ago, this would have been a big day. People would have been talking about his great accomplishments throughout the years.

Instead?

Crickets. It’s hard to know what to do, or how to take it, really. Someone at USA Today wrote, "For one day, we can forget about how it all ended. . . ."

No, we can't.
------

"To me, college football and being around kids and trying to make them as good as they can be, and having a good competitive football team with the kind of support we get . . . it is an ego trip, I am sure. I am sure it is part ego, but it is fun, and I am enjoying it."

How did that quote make you feel? Sad for a guy who has lost all of that, or angry because he was saying how much he loved helping kids?

You can take one side or the other of that, or even both sides at the same time. That’s the awkwardness of the moment in the air.

My husband and I watched a Frontline special on PBS last night about Bernie Madoff the Wall Street scammer who bilked thousands out of their life savings before finally being arrested.

What does this have to do with Sandusky? Because Madoff was protected by the same type of "look the other way" protection from colleagues who just wanted the money to keep flowing to them. It was selfish and greedy and narrow-minded, but no one wanted to rock the boat, even if it meant that innocent victims had their finances destroyed.

To me that is what happened at Penn State - Wall Street is just another version, and also mainly a "good old boys club" where they cover for one another.

The SEC just took Madoff's word that everything was fine, and that nothing was going on, even though there were whistleblowers with 600 page reports and people trying to figure out how someone could get so rich while the Stock Market was crashing. It took years before he was finally arrested, and only after the eyes of the world turned to what was going on.

It just goes to show that when there's money, prestige and power involved, people will see whatever they want to see, and denial can keep a problem from coming to light for years. But what gives me hope is that Madoff eventually went to jail and the victims got some restitution - and it would be sweet justice if the same thing happened for the victims of Sandusky.

Jerry Sandusky and Bernie Madoff have a lot in common when I think about it. They are both highly narcissistic and think they are the center of the universe. It is reinforced by the "look the other way" mentality.

TY! There is lots of good stuff here.

Also, we should be cautious of someone who encourages silence from children or enlists them in secret-keeping. Children do keep secrets—with other children. Not with 45-year-old men or women. Another might be an adult referring to a child as their “friend.” Relationships between adults and children aren’t normally “friend” relationships. So if you have an adult expressing these sorts of sentiments in a way that seems inappropriate, that’s something you should pay attention to.

Looks like Joe Paterno is getting better legal advice than Jerry Sandusky. At least Paterno is not speaking publicly and is maintaining a very low profile.

TY! There is lots of good stuff here.

Also, we should be cautious of someone who encourages silence from children or enlists them in secret-keeping. Children do keep secrets—with other children. Not with 45-year-old men or women. Another might be an adult referring to a child as their “friend.” Relationships between adults and children aren’t normally “friend” relationships. So if you have an adult expressing these sorts of sentiments in a way that seems inappropriate, that’s something you should pay attention to.

Yes, yes, yes!! Secrets are bad...and adults are not your friends. They are examples, advisors, teachers, pastors, counselors, mentors, family, trusted elders, community resources, babysitters, authority figures, cautionary tales...but they are not friends to little children.

Very good article...I think this part fits JS to a T:

"When we’re talking about actual pedophiles, then we’re talking about people, often, who go seeking victims. And they can be very difficult to treat because to them their behavior is not strange. It’s part of the way they live, the way they behave, and peer pressure—other people thinking it’s wrong, society declaring it wrong—has less effect on them."

JS set up an entire organization in order to have access to little boys, and convinced most everyone he was just a great guy helping kids!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500