Penn State's athletic director plus ex-Paterno assistant charged in child sex case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though I'm sure McQ and the janitor were shocked and scared of what they saw, how could they have NOT reacted physically to what they saw? I have a next door neighbor and a neighbor across the street who are 10 year old boys. 10 is pretty small physically. They are not pre-teens or young adults. They are SMALL children.

Put that very small body in a shower with a GROWN man (regardless if he is considered short, average, tall), and how could anybody just walk out? I am truly just speechless. I don't think it takes a hero to act here - it takes a normal person with a minimal moral compass.

Obviously my opinion only, but I can't imagine McQ would be a victim of Sandusky. Why would Sandusky even attempt this with a kid from an intact family with a strong father figure? He had a plethora of disadvantaged victims from foster homes and single mother homes - perfect prey. McQ would have been too much of a risk.

I keep wondering what happened to get McQueary to break his silence about the shower room boy. The only people who knew that story were the victim, McQueary and the 3 people above him.

Then you have this strong division in the Sandusky with the mother of his children and Matt are at serious odds. I wonder if someone told her or hinted to her about the abuse in the shower and she could have been the one who got them looking in the story. Something is just funny.

Matt, 33, is not one of the victims in the grand jury presentment, but he did testify before the grand jury.

The day Jerry Sandusky was arrested, Matt brought his kids over to Jerry’s house. The mother of Matt’s children almost immediately went to court to prevent future visits. A judge’s order now prevents Sandusky from having unsupervised contact or overnight visits with his grandchildren.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/11/who_knew_what_about_jerry_sand.html

bbm

A great article. I highly recommend other read it. This is getting worse and is going to be more far-reaching than it is at the moment. MOO

:newhere: Hi everyone, I am new here so please feel free to school me on TOS if I make a mistake.

I would like to know more information about McQueary's interactions with Sandusky when he was young. If he was an abuse victim, that might help explain his reaction to finding Sandusky abusing someone else. When McQueary saw what was happening, instead of jumping in and grabbing the child, he just shut down (especially if he was abused and has sought no help for processing what happened).

Welcome to Websleuths, Ruby Sue!! :)

I have wondered this exact same thing.

I have read all the links I could find but still cannot find sandusky's next court date. And still trying to find out if it's normal to be let out on such strong and numerous charges.?? Is it because he has no criminal backround?

IMO so many people had to know what was going . He was so brazen to commit these crimes in public areas. He was so comfortable being naked under glaring lights not even hiding the noises! And that was years after he knew some people were on to him. He did not care who saw him "loving" on these boys. He did not care if other people walked in on him. He enjoyed it all way to much to even try to hide his crimes.

During the trustee's news confrence the other day, the new interm president came to the podium and said something to the effect of being w/ the university for 30 plus years or something. Both my husband and I said in jinx alot fashion "then he knew about it too!" It's sad to lump a whole generation of men that were a part of that university for so long but I know people talk and you can't tell me that everyone did'nt know that these alligations are the exact reason sandusky was never offered a full coaches spot after being Paterno's side kick for so long. IMO

BBM..IIRC..I heard court date is set for December 7th..JMO

ETA..In reference to the phrase "loving on these boys"... With all due respect, raping and sodomizing children is not what I would refer to as "loving" in any way shape or form.. His actions toward his victims are all about control, and satisfying his perverted desires....JMHO

Maybe I'm just cynical, but I can't help but notice that McQueary went fairly quickly from a poorly-paid graduate assistant who hadn't seen anything to a highly-paid receivers coach and recruiting coordinator who had seen something. Could be that's just a coincidence.
Assistant football coaches at major colleges make much larger salaries than most people probably realize.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2010-05-19-assistant-coaches-pay_N.htm

I must be cynical too -- I agree that it's worth following up on.

On a side note, I can see no difference in the arguments made by coaches in defence of their incredibly high salaries and the boards and CEOs of large companies in defence of theirs. What free market decides these huge payouts? Isn't it a captive market, made of coaches and other coaches?

As a professor at a major research school I continue to be shocked at how much we spend on our athletics, often at the expense of our academics. Entitlement on this scale can often lead to abuses of power, IME. Can you recall the last time a math department recruiting class engaged in campus gunplay?

s

His daughter only recently requested that he be declared dead... I think in June or July time frame, he went missing in 2005 so that wait is pretty standard.

I've always believed his disappearance was due to foul-play, and am beginning to believe Sandusky or his camp may have had a lot to do with it.

I'm leaning that way. However, IIRC, the police found information on his home computer about destroying hard drives and such. That makes me think suicide or just going off the grid.

ETA..In reference to the phrase "loving on these boys"... With all due respect, raping and sodomizing children is not what I would refer to as "loving" in any way shape or form.. His actions toward his victims are all about control, and satisfying his perverted desires....JMHO

I think she was trying to be polite in describing it as "loving these boys".

i just read an intriguing post on a message board. the poster suggests the possibility that after years of living with a guilty conscience, mcqueary hears about the 2007 investigation, and finally goes to the grand jury on his own. it's a good post, in which the person explains how he came to the conclusion that there's no other way the grand jury would have known. can i link to it or no? can i drop some hints as to where people can find it?

Even if you can't quote or link the message, could you outline the reasoning that there is no other way that the GJ could have known?

I'm not being argumentative here, but I just don't see it. It would be really easy for the GJ to find out.

For starters, the 2002 victim saw McQueary, according to his own testimony. Even if the kid didn't know him (and McQueary did not know, and does not know at this date the identity of that victim), the victim probably has a pretty good idea who McQueary is given his distinctive appearance and the timing of the shower incident. How many <modsnip> were with the program and would have been in the facility at that hour? If the victim follows PSU football, there's a good chance that he knows or believes that McQ was the witness.

And that's not even getting into the possibility that there were other witnesses of the incident, and people who heard rumors of McQ's story, and told the investigators.

All kind of paths could have directed to the GJ to him. He didn't know what cards were held.

That's part of what's so amazing to me about the handling of this situation. Everyone who had any degree of knowledge had to know that this was a ticking time bomb. Even if they controlled the known witnesses, they had no control over the victims. They didn't even know who the 2002 victim was.

What's very disturbing is that they still haven't figured out who the 2002 victim is. It makes me wonder whether he was a foster child or some other child over whom Sandusky still has control.

Things have hit the fan for a deep pocket. The victim should now be an adult. If this kid was disadvantaged to begin with, and now has an eyewitness, where is he?

I hope he comes forward soon. If not, is he dead? Or is he so close to Sandusky that he's not ever going to disclose?

Thanks doubt.

I outlined my reasoning above, as to why there were certainly other avenues for the GJ to get to McQueary.

Now that I've read the post itself, I don't really disagree except as to the claim that there was no other way for the GJ to know about McQueary. He may indeed have come forward to the GJ voluntarily, but I doubt it.

The bottom line, on which I think both I and that poster would agree, is that once a proceeding was underway and he was confronted by LE, it made no sense for McQueary to do anything other than to tell what he had seen.

Others may call that "doing the right thing" but after all these years, I think it was more an act of calculated self-preservation. There were too many unknown variables.

I don't think that he anticipated that others in the PSU chain would testify that he had not told them about the sex act.

I would also like to know whether anyone has been granted immunity in exchange for their testimony. I haven't heard that question asked or answered in any of the reporting.

---
I am suspicious of people who take too much credit for playing by the rules, who use that as some sort of evidence of moral standing. It is not.

There was something more honest about the people who threw bricks through the window of Sandusky's house Friday. Not that I endorse that. But at least the feelings of rage are honest.
---
much more at link below:

Penn State should have aimed higher (Greg Couch, FoxSports)

I hope we see a sea of blue at that game today!!!

Well, I am doubting that the Nebraska fans purchased those shirts....especially since the shirts IMPLY that by "blue out Nebraska" that will end child sexual abuse....kind of an intent to pass the shame off on the other school there!

At the very least perhaps the Nebraska fans were able to create their own RED shirts with a similar purpose. It would be a bit of a stretch to ask them to wear the other teams school colors. A truly HONEST effort by Penn State would have been to choose a neutral color shirt and leave off ANY reference to the football game opponent at all.

jmo

Well, I am doubting that the Nebraska fans purchased those shirts....especially since the shirts IMPLY that by "blue out Nebraska" that will end child sexual abuse....kind of an intent to pass the shame off on the other school there!

At the very least perhaps the Nebraska fans were able to create their own RED shirts with a similar purpose. It would be a bit of a stretch to ask them to wear the other teams school colors. A truly HONEST effort by Penn State would have been to choose a neutral color shirt and leave off ANY reference to the football game opponent at all.

jmo

I was looking at it from a point of view- that colors would not matter today
I was looking at it as a moral statement to all child abuse victims that we stand with you and deplore what happened here as a country in whole.I guess thats what I am trying to say!No offense to anyone

I keep wondering what happened to get McQueary to break his silence about the shower room boy. The only people who knew that story were the victim, McQueary and the 3 people above him.

Then you have this strong division in the Sandusky with the mother of his children and Matt are at serious odds. I wonder if someone told her or hinted to her about the abuse in the shower and she could have been the one who got them looking in the story. Something is just funny.

Matt, 33, is not one of the victims in the grand jury presentment, but he did testify before the grand jury.

The day Jerry Sandusky was arrested, Matt brought his kids over to Jerry&#8217;s house. The mother of Matt&#8217;s children almost immediately went to court to prevent future visits. A judge&#8217;s order now prevents Sandusky from having unsupervised contact or overnight visits with his grandchildren.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/11/who_knew_what_about_jerry_sand.html

Shoot, something as seemingly innocent as this: Mommy, why does Grandpa always have to put his hand on my knee?

:furious:

Someone above asked is it "normal" for someone facing so many counts to be out on bail... No, especially an alleged predator living within close proximity to an elementary school. When you're all looking at this remember, this is bigger than football, bigger than Paterno's perceived power, bigger than PSU. There's a whole lot more going to come out in these investigations... All of State College, all of Centre County, including but not limited to, the police, the DA, C&Y and their predecessor, was blinded by the money made off of PSU.

Having said that, looking at all currently available facts, Paterno still has my support. I am not a football fan or an alumni but I am a rational person looking at only the facts available.

Even if you can't quote or link the message, could you outline the reasoning that there is no other way that the GJ could have known?

I'm not being argumentative here, but I just don't see it. It would be really easy for the GJ to find out.

For starters, the 2002 victim saw McQueary, according to his own testimony. Even if the kid didn't know him (and McQueary did not know, and does not know at this date the identity of that victim), the victim probably has a pretty good idea who McQueary is given his distinctive appearance and the timing of the shower incident. How many <modsnip> were with the program and would have been in the facility at that hour? If the victim follows PSU football, there's a good chance that he knows or believes that McQ was the witness.

And that's not even getting into the possibility that there were other witnesses of the incident, and people who heard rumors of McQ's story, and told the investigators.

All kind of paths could have directed to the GJ to him. He didn't know what cards were held.

That's part of what's so amazing to me about the handling of this situation. Everyone who had any degree of knowledge had to know that this was a ticking time bomb. Even if they controlled the known witnesses, they had no control over the victims. They didn't even know who the 2002 victim was.

What's very disturbing is that they still haven't figured out who the 2002 victim is. It makes me wonder whether he was a foster child or some other child over whom Sandusky still has control.

Things have hit the fan for a deep pocket. The victim should now be an adult. If this kid was disadvantaged to begin with, and now has an eyewitness, where is he?

I hope he comes forward soon. If not, is he dead? Or is he so close to Sandusky that he's not ever going to disclose?

IMO if the shower boy told anyone about the shower incident, that would've been included in the indicment. He is still an unknown.

IMO McQueary could've taken an eaiser way out and gave the watered down version instead of graphic point by point eye and ear witness testimony. He could've said he just was'nt sure what he saw but he is the only witness that is swearing to seeing anal penetration. McQueary will have to go to court and defend his words and be subjected to the defense. I pray the boy from this incident becomes known to to LE so he can help put sandusky away. I pray he has been able to live thru this life.

But I do believe McQueary could've/should've done something to stop the attack.

respectfully snipped
I think she was trying to be polite in describing it as "loving these boys".

Thanx for the date and ^ what Steely said. I did not mean it like real love at all, but see how I should've worded it differently.

Penn State vs. Nebraska on ESPN

They had a moment of silence for the victims.

I was looking at it from a point of view- that colors would not matter today
I was looking at it as a moral statement to all child abuse victims that we stand with you and deplore what happened here as a country in whole.I guess thats what I am trying to say!No offense to anyone

Oh...I agree that is what it SHOULD be....but if Penn State TRULY wanted it to be that.....then a simple grey or beige shirt with NO REFERENCE to a football victory would have been far preferable and genuine.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members