Pet theories and vengeance

Dave, I showed my M your writing. Attuned as I am to her, even I was surprised by her reaction - she wept a river. She says you are a credit to your family for your decency and sensitivity. She's a bit busy as the moment (church fete season) but plans to register so she can say 'hi' to you.

Very good. It was as hard to write as it is to read.

Incidentally, the writing did extract from her the admission that she knows at some level that some parents do harm their children but this is usually owing to some sort of systemic failure (eg. parents lacking education or being social care cases themselves). She believes that the presumption should be that parents like Patsy don't harm their children even in a terrible accident and that the standard of proof must be much higher in cases where parents are suspected than in other cases. Unfortunately, there have been a couple of cases here in the last few cases where parents were convicted and the convictions were over-turned on appeal. This obviously tends to support her view although in one case, the police categorically refused to apologise for being wrong and my own gut feeling is that the parent was in fact guilty.

Sadly, Sophie, that viewpoint seems to have ruled the DA's office from Day One.

Not sure that this is wholly apposite, Dave, but, for what it's worth, my Dad and husband are JDIs to the extent that they have an opinion on this case. As far as I know, their only knowledge of this case comes from the Mills and Tracey docu-comedies and from the DVD of PMPT. However, John finding JBR's body, some disingenuity about knots* and Scott Cohen's portrayal of ST as giving John a pass on the most risible of grounds seems to have persuaded them that John was the malefactor.

*Re knots, apparently John suggested that the knots on the 'garrote' and ligatures were sophisticated. Hub and Dad claim that anyone who has been a boy, never mind in the armed forces and an enthusiastic and competent sailor, would have been able to make those knots with their eyes closed, one hand behind their back and waving to their mums. Essenetially, they don't know why John would lie about this. Having said that, I don't recall where John commented on the knots.

Generally, do people find that their families and friends consider them sad acts for their interest in this case? I'll admit that my hub does but, then, I find a raised eyebrow enough to shut him up: this man spent £3500 following the Welsh national soccer team between January and July this year. I'd love to hear whether anyone else suffers ridicule...

Sophie, if it's all right, I'd like your Old Mum to read this and see whether or not my heart is full of vengeance.

Folks, this is an exclusive. I made up my mind not to post anything from my epilogue, but I will this one time:

I have never doubted that. Patsy Ramsey was a loving mother and an amazing wife and a great friend to everyone who knew her. She was a gorgeous, smart, dynamic lady. In my heart I know she didn't mean for any of this to happen. Even after my "conversion," I always wanted to protect her, to hug her and say, "it will be all right. Just tell the truth and it will be all right. I promise."

SNIP

When I heard that Patsy had died, I was shattered. I didn't leave my house for two days. I mourned her passing for a long time. If I had been with her, I would have told her, "Patsy, it's all right. Don't be afraid. I forgive you. JonBenet forgives you. She doesn't hate you, she loves you. She will always love you. And she needs her mommy. The gods have forgiven you. They will show mercy. Don't be afraid of death."

Yeah, I'm a real monster, aren't I?
that's just awesome!! :) I beleive you would have been more of a comfort to her than JR was.

Not sure that this is wholly apposite, Dave, but, for what it's worth, my Dad and husband are JDIs to the extent that they have an opinion on this case. As far as I know, their only knowledge of this case comes from the Mills and Tracey docu-comedies and from the DVD of PMPT. However, John finding JBR's body, some disingenuity about knots* and Scott Cohen's portrayal of ST as giving John a pass on the most risible of grounds seems to have persuaded them that John was the malefactor.

*Re knots, apparently John suggested that the knots on the 'garrote' and ligatures were sophisticated. Hub and Dad claim that anyone who has been a boy, never mind in the armed forces and an enthusiastic and competent sailor, would have been able to make those knots with their eyes closed, one hand behind their back and waving to their mums. Essenetially, they don't know why John would lie about this. Having said that, I don't recall where John commented on the knots

Hi Sophie.

I don't recall where John commented on the knots - S

That's very interesting observation,

Generally, do people find that their families and friends consider them sad acts for their interest in this case? I'll admit that my hub does but, then, I find a raised eyebrow enough to shut him up: this man spent £3500 following the Welsh national soccer team between January and July this year. I'd love to hear whether anyone else suffers ridicule...

Well ... no.

Hubs is quite content when I'm busy online.
I periodically fill him in on various details, he's a general sounding board, the case creeps him out,
also and it's not a topic I would bring up in casual conversation.

Hi Sophie.

I don't recall where John commented on the knots - S

That's very interesting observation,

Well ... no.

Hubs is quite content when I'm busy online.
I periodically fill him in on various details, he's a general sounding board, the case creeps him out,
also and it's not a topic I would bring up in casual conversation.

Hi Tad, I'll try to find the knots reference.

LOL. It's not a case that crops up in day-to-day conversation, is it? Water cooler discussions after those documentaries have been shown are the extent of it, really:

Colleague: 'Did you watch that programme about JonBenet yesterday?'
Me: 'Yes.'
Colleague: 'So who do you think did it since it's very plain that the parents didn't?''
Me: (Biting nails to keep gob shut at work): 'Er,yeah, I suppose so.'

I mean, I admire IDI and hope one day to be one but people becoming IDI on the strength of those documentaries is enough to make me reach for the Prozac...

Ripley, ty for your post. That is exactly what my mother finds objectionable about the JBR boards. Namely, that, if PDI (which she doubts massively), Patsy is beyond human justice and it's not for us to intrude on the province of the Almighty who is now surely rewarding her as He sees fit.

I think this is too simple. As long as the identity of the killer remains in doubt, innocent people will be dragged through the mud (eg. another suspect identified in a book just the other week). Equally, JBR's murder will be discussed endlessly as long as it remains a mystery. JBR deserves to rest in peace and this will only happen when the killer is identified and there is no need for the little lamb's life to be discussed in such detail. I have massive fits of concern about whether my discussion of the case is actually adding to the horror of the JBR case and normally conclude that a) who knows where the idea that will break this case will come from? (a Net poster may just hit on the idea that solves this case or someone in LE may read this site and make a thought connection that could break the case) and b) the failures in this case must never repeated and we must never forget the sweet little girl whose murderer has eluded human justice.

The point about God punishing the murderer so everything is OK also only works for believers. Atheists have to swallow the notion that the killer eluded human justice and therefore all justice. Against this backdrop, shrugging our shoulders and saying 'Oh, well, fair play, you outsmarted us. End of' is one option but, just IMHO, it's an appalling option for those whose hearts hurt when they see pictures of JBR.

I also think of the people whose lives have been ruined by this case (eg.McReynolds, Hoffman-Pughs, Whites) and those which have been changed forever (Steve Thomas) and it seems that the least we can do is keep this case alive for their sake so that what they went through wasn't entirely in vain...

Spot on:clap:

ETA: IMO the killer isn't dead yet(the accomplice is) so there's still a small chance.........

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janisjoplin
Back