Police Kicked Out Of Belleville Denny’s For Being Armed

Perhaps the "uncomfortable customer" should have left.

Serious stupidity on the part of the manager - to even say such a thing to LE is comtemptable.

Why is that? As someone with family members who are police officers I can attest that they aren't 'supreme' in any way. They can and should be treated just like anyone else, provided they aren't on official police business att.

ETA: Perhaps upon hearing someone was uncomfortable one of them could have spoken to the person and identified himself as an officer and explained why they carry their weapons with them into places that allow it instead of acting like they were offended. That old saying about catching more flies with honey is true. Would have been nice if they had taken the time to ease the mind of someone who was worried instead of creating an uproar that is surely going to create a divide.

The chief says officers are no longer allowed to go to Denny's while on duty unless they are responding to a call for service.

http://www.live5news.com/story/20508320/restaurant-asks-police-to-remove-weapons-or-leave

Denny's released a statement saying that restaurant policy allows law enforcement to carry weapons in the restaurant and that they regret the misunderstanding.

In all the time that Police have been armed, yes detectives in (plain clothes) too and on January 5, 2013 one person out of 315,000,000 has a problem and some knucklehead manager responds by asking the Police to leave when they should have asked the complainer to leave.

Okay, let me get this straight...

A group of off-duty police officers in plain clothes show up to a family restuarant. It appears to me that their badges were not visible to the naked eye or a concerned customer would not have reported it to a manager in the first place.

A manager, who has probably been told that guns are prohibited from being inside that family restaurant tells the officers they have to leave or put their guns in their vehicle. However, the General Manager, who would know better, corrects the situation, but the officers leave anyways.

Now there is a call for all officers to boycott Denny's by the chief/sheriff? It was a simple misunderstanding between a bunch of officers who should have had their badges visible, a concerned customer, and an unknowing manager.

The chief/sheriff needs to grow up.

I guess you didn't read the story.
They were "out of uniform but wearing their badges".

"

I dont care if thier on duty or off duty i say Good job to the place they walked in to . Iam so sick off the police thinking they can do whatever the hell they want 'When they want They are not Above the law . no one is .

What law were they breaking?

Why dose Denny's always do stupid things to people who try and eat there.

YEs, they have the right, if the establishment owner allows it (what happened to free enterprise, and a business own being able to set the rules for his own establishment? :crazy: ), .

So a restaurant can discriminate based on color or sexual orientation? He can set his own rules as to who gets to eat there? :what: That's crazy????? :floorlaugh:
Denny's admitted they were wrong. It's not the first time Denny's has been in the news for it's treatment of customers, and it's usually racial discrimination, which is why I don't go there anymore.

That's even more bizarre. I have never seen off duty officers wearing their badges on their person? Maybe they wanted a discount because only officers on duty get discounts? Another perk they seem to like to take advantage of. There have been many, many accounts where officers abuse the hell out of businesses that do not cater to their wishes for free or discounted stuff.

I've personally been on the receiving end of an officers entitled attitude. It's not pretty and I don't think any business or their employee's should serve them when they become like this. Personally, I would get a tresspassing warrant. Calling for a ban on my place of employment would have been welcomed! Trust me!

And portable radio's on the table? That is even more bizarre! From what I understand, these officers were off duty (even though they really do work 24/7) and they were in plain clothes. Like regular street clothes. I still don't see how it was possible that they had their badges visible to the naked eye and a customer made a complaint? If the badges were on their waistbands, that doesn't make them visible. I don't know if I believe that they had them around their necks? But, that is just me.

Put yourself in the customers shoes though. After the Sandy Hook shooting? We shouldn't be coming down too hard on this person. We need to be more aware of our surroundings. So what if it made a couple of police officers upset? Actually, they really have no reason to be upset at all! It was a simple misunderstanding. Nothing to get all huffy and nasty about. Which it appears that they did since they left after the General Manager had cleared things up.

Not all officer are like this (10 out of 100 maybe, so 10%), but I can imagine exactly how this whole thing went down, and I do not blame the customer or the manager. It makes the most sense to me that the officers made this into something a lot bigger than what it was. And calling for a ban on a business is nothing short of bullying. I see now that the ban has been lifted... but, if the restaurant refused to serve them, I would not be mad.

MOO

Most detectives are plain clothes.

So a restaurant can discriminate based on color or sexual orientation? He can set his own rules as to who gets to eat there? :what: That's crazy????? :floorlaugh:
Denny's admitted they were wrong. It's not the first time Denny's has been in the news for it's treatment of customers, and it's usually racial discrimination, which is why I don't go there anymore.

Trying to turn the question around. I'm not a free-marketeer or capitalist, so it's not a view I hold. So no, I don't think they should be able to discriminate - was a tongue in cheek question - noted by the goofy smiley.

However, that raises a good point - unlike race or gender or orientation, no one is born wearing a gun, or made to put them on big display. Not even cops.

Also, fwiw, the chief in this story sounds like a big baby.

Bribery??? :floorlaugh::floorlaugh::floorlaugh: You call that bribery?

In MANY towns, for MANY years, it has been a courtesy. The men and women who protect us every day, who put their life on the line, are under paid, and under appreciated. So many businesses give discounted, or free, meals to LE. It's a way of saying Thank You. WTH is wrong with that?

Many give the discounts, etc., to draw LE to their places of business. Huge deterrent to crime if you regularly have LE cars in your parking lot. I love when LE stops in during their lunch hours. I LOVE that the vet across the parking lot from me is the go to guy for all the local LE police dogs. Nice to have so many officer vehicles around so much. I'm sure it makes my customers feel safer too.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back