Police Taser 14-Foot Florida Python

Amraann said:
All Florida State parks close at Dusk to day use visitors.
http://www.floridastateparks.org/

Paynes Prairie does however have camping...
http://www.floridastateparks.org/paynesprairie/default.cfm

To answer your question if you have a flash light the gators (as well as other creatures) eyes will show up like that.

I have been canoeing down the Rainbow River at night and have seen the gator eyes.
Its a little freaky.
Rainbow river with kayaks and flashlights - written down and noted.
Camping at Paines Prarie - written down and maybe good for this weekend??

I can imagine it would be freaky. In broad daylight, I displaced a rather smallish alligator by hollaring to my kid who was ignoring me "DONNA _ GATOR!" and it slid into the water - as my kid was going past it. The gator couldn't care less about her - but to hear her tell it - it was coming right at her kayak for her. :)

Oh yeah - thanks!

LOLOL

Typically a gator less then 4 feet is no threat to people.
Although I am not sure I would want to test that theory...

There is a campsite on the Rainbow river as well.

I am not sure how busy Paynes Prairie is this time of year but you can reserve a campsite by going to www.reserveamerica.com and looking up Paynes Prairie.

There is a bridge in Costa Rica where people park to look down at the alligators. There are SCADS of them, lazing in the shallow marsh. Like 70 or 80! It's horrifying and mesmerizing. If you were to drop something, there would be a quick rush of giant bodies, then nothing.

I almost reserved a site for this weekend. When I called, though, they said the campfire chat was understaffed for this weekend, so we're going to wait and go on the overnight backpacking trip. :) There are lots of events there, thank you!

Amraann said:
LOLOL

Typically a gator less then 4 feet is no threat to people.
Although I am not sure I would want to test that theory...

There is a campsite on the Rainbow river as well.

I am not sure how busy Paynes Prairie is this time of year but you can reserve a campsite by going to www.reserveamerica.com and looking up Paynes Prairie.

Not crazy about snakes in general--luckily, I have never seen a snake here in Florida, and I have lived here 26 years--I did see a few in Connecticut as a kid--We had some garter snakes and one time we saw a copperhead in a field right next to us--scared the crap out of us---Oklahoma City was pretty wild, didn't see any snakes but huge tarantulas made their home in a cemetery near us, and I'm talking furry spiders as big as your hand--Tarantulas are too big to step on so Oklahomans usually would just poor gasoline on them to kill 'em---In the Virgin Islands there were no snakes because of the mongoose--but if you had an outdoor cat or a dog,the mongoose would somestimes attack them, they're pretty aggressive

GlitchWizard said:
I almost reserved a site for this weekend. When I called, though, they said the campfire chat was understaffed for this weekend, so we're going to wait and go on the overnight backpacking trip. :) There are lots of events there, thank you!
Your Welcome!
I hope you have fun!! They have all kinds of amazing wildlife there.

Peter Hamilton said:
Not crazy about snakes in general--luckily, I have never seen a snake here in Florida, and I have lived here 26 years--I did see a few in Connecticut as a kid--We had some garter snakes and one time we saw a copperhead in a field right next to us--scared the crap out of us---Oklahoma City was pretty wild, didn't see any snakes but huge tarantulas made their home in a cemetery near us, and I'm talking furry spiders as big as your hand--Tarantulas are too big to step on so Oklahomans usually would just poor gasoline on them to kill 'em---In the Virgin Islands there were no snakes because of the mongoose--but if you had an outdoor cat or a dog,the mongoose would somestimes attack them, they're pretty aggressive
What a horrible death for the poor tarantulas!!! How long did it take them to die? Were they aggressive?

Peter Hamilton said:

Never seen a snake in Florida??
WOW you have lucked out!!

I believe I heard on Animal Planet that pythons are not native to Florida. The population of these and other exotic reptiles is due to people having them as pets, and then releasing them in the wild when they tire of them. :banghead:

On the news this morning, it was said that a family moved, and simply left their 15 foot pet snake behind, because it was too big to handle. The news showed officers removing the yellow? boa from the home--in Florida, of course.

Sheromom, Tarantulas dig holes in the red dirt of Oklahoma--not sure how widespread or common they are--but this was in Oklahoma City which is heavily suburban--this one guy told me this big tarantula just walked into his garage--said the nearby cemetery had large amounts of tarantula holes over peoples graves and this cemetery has 30,000 people buried there--another reason why I plan to be buried not in the ground--lol- Mausoleums are better, you are interred above ground and I'll take the highest one they have----

Amaraan, yes never seen a snake but we have seen plenty of raccoons which are cute but can be rabid and they love tipping over garbage cans at night--We've also seen red foxes here in Florida now and then, also at night--also lotsa possums--We used to see bunny rabbits all the time also but unfortunately since so much building is going on, we haven't seen them in a long time--The weirdest thing I saw was 30 miles north of here in Pt. St. lucie--getting off the highway in a rural area late at night, a big gator was just sittin there blocking the road--I stopped the car got out and yelled at him to get off the road--he then crawled away pretty quick, back to the brush and I have to tell ya the sound of those gator feet clicking on the pavement was very strange indeed lol

Peter Hamilton said:
Amaraan, yes never seen a snake but we have seen plenty of raccoons which are cute but can be rabid and they love tipping over garbage cans at night--We've also seen red foxes here in Florida now and then, also at night--also lotsa possums--We used to see bunny rabbits all the time also but unfortunately since so much building is going on, we haven't seen them in a long time--The weirdest thing I saw was 30 miles north of here in Pt. St. lucie--getting off the highway in a rural area late at night, a big gator was just sittin there blocking the road--I stopped the car got out and yelled at him to get off the road--he then crawled away pretty quick, back to the brush and I have to tell ya the sound of those gator feet clicking on the pavement was very strange indeed lol
Peter You are correct .. the pythons are not native.
The breeding population is due to people letting them loose.. there is also now a breeding population of cobra's in the everglades for the same reason.

Peter Hamilton said:
Sheromom, Tarantulas dig holes in the red dirt of Oklahoma--not sure how widespread or common they are--but this was in Oklahoma City which is heavily suburban--this one guy told me this big tarantula just walked into his garage--said the nearby cemetery had large amounts of tarantula holes over peoples graves and this cemetery has 30,000 people buried there--:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: another reason why I plan to be buried not in the ground--lol- Mausoleums are better, you are interred above ground and I'll take the highest one they have----
I want burned myself.

Here's something weird--A man was arrested in Petaluma California after authorites discovered he was living with 1,300 rats! yikes!

here's another: City officials warn Tucson Arizona residents that white rats have been discovered swimming in some people's toilets--yikes!

Peter Hamilton said:
here's another: City officials warn Tucson Arizona residents that white rats have been discovered swimming in some people's toilets--yikes!
Do you have a link for this one? Wow; bet it scare the ______ out of the people; poor ratties!!!!:crazy:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox
Back