Poll: Marlise Munoz Case: Did the judge make the right decision?

Do you agree with the ruling that Marlise Munoz must be removed from life support?

• Yes, the judge ruled appropriately, and MM is dead, under Texas law.

Votes: 161 91.0%
  • No, the judge did not rule appropriately, and her body should remain on life support for the fetus.

Votes: 16 9.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Turning off life support was murder. The dad murdered the baby. At least now that baby is in Heaven and will never have to endure any man's cruelty.

I'm an average person. Not a "so-called 'pro-lifer'" and while the case is horrible, it doesn't horrify me that they tried to bring the baby to viability. Not even close. To say the average person is horrified is a mighty broad brush. jmo

Every single person I have spoken to about this case is horrified by it. I have yet to meet one single person IRL who is not stunned by the abuse of this poor woman's corpse and the pain her family has suffered at the hands of both the hospital and the state.

Every single person I have spoken to about this case is horrified by it. I have yet to meet one single person IRL who is not stunned by the abuse of this poor woman's corpse and the pain her family has suffered at the hands of both the hospital and the state.

IME, IRL, we tend to discuss things that are potentially controversial with people who we believe to be like-minded unless we're looking for controversy. Also, ime, IRL, we tend to have as friends people who share our POV for the most part. Imo, it's not unlikely that the people we would find ourselves discussing this with IRL would tend to see it as we do. Unless one were a chit-stirrer IRL, of course. lol And I do know a couple of those! My late father being a professional :) all jmo

I am not sure what you consider an "average" person. Like I said, it doesn't horrify me at the least. Why is allowing a brain dead person to remain on life support to incubate a fetus any more horrifying than taking a heart from a brain dead person and giving it to someone else? Most "average" people don't seem to have a problem with using brain dead persons for body parts. Doctors cut them open and remove varios organs from them. Apparently that's not horrifying. But all of the sudden using a brain deady body to incubate a fetus is horrifying. Organ transplantation and incubation of a fetus have the exact same purpose-saving a life.

Since when do doctors and/or hospitals harvest organs from the dead without the family's consent? Since when is organ donation mandated by the state? In this case, a dead woman's body was kept on life support against her family's wishes. That is what is horrifying to the average person: that there was absolutely no consideration or compassion for the dead woman and her family. None. The hospital simply stepped in and took possession over MM's corpse, treating her lifeless body like a piece of publicly owned medical machinery. I have not spoken to one person who has not been horrified and sickened by this case.

IME, IRL, we tend to discuss things that are potentially controversial with people who we believe to be like-minded unless we're looking for controversy. Also, ime, IRL, we tend to have as friends people who share our POV for the most part. Imo, it's not unlikely that the people we would find ourselves discussing this with IRL would tend to see it as we do. Unless one were a chit-stirrer IRL, of course. lol And I do know a couple of those! My late father being a professional :) all jmo

Maybe I have a larger circle than you but everyone, from conservative to liberal, I've spoken with is stunned by this case and it's overwhelming inhumanity. Just look at the poll numbers. Not just on here but elsewhere in the news. IMO, this case isn't a "chit-stirring" topic because just about everyone seems to agree.

Maybe I have a larger circle than you but everyone, from conservative to liberal, I've spoken with is stunned by this case and it's overwhelming inhumanity. Just look at the poll numbers. Not just on here but elsewhere in the news. IMO, this case isn't a "chit-stirring" topic because just about everyone seems to agree.

I think most people agree with the result. *I* agree with the result. But the reasons why people agree are many and varied, and it's not all because everyone is horrified by the idea of trying to keep the baby alive when the family wanted otherwise.

Just for example, I went down the hall and asked my friend/co-worker whether she was horrified by the situation and she said yes. When I asked her why, she said because the baby was so seriously deformed.

That said, your experience is what it is. :)

jmo

I guess for me it's the word, horrified. I honestly don't think I have ever been horrified at anything yet in my almost 60 years. I am not at all happy with the stance the hospital (lawyers) took. But for me with her being dead and the fetus not being viable I am not horrified by them keeping her on a vent. I do think it was not /should not have been the hospitals call but I am not horrified and I don't think I ever have been about anything. jmo idk

I guess for me it's the word, horrified. I honestly don't think I have ever been horrified at anything yet in my almost 60 years. I am not at all happy with the stance the hospital (lawyers) took. But for me with her being dead and the fetus not being viable I am not horrified by them keeping her on a vent. I do think it was not /should not have been the hospitals call but I am not horrified and I don't think I ever have been about anything. jmo idk

One definition of the word horrify is: to dismay or shock greatly.

You've never been dismayed or deeply shocked?

I think most people agree with the result. *I* agree with the result. But the reasons why people agree are many and varied, and it's not all because everyone is horrified by the idea of trying to keep the baby alive when the family wanted otherwise.

Just for example, I went down the hall and asked my friend/co-worker whether she was horrified by the situation and she said yes. When I asked her why, she said because the baby was so seriously deformed.

That said, your experience is what it is. :)

jmo

And that's why this case has been a real wake-up call to so many people. Whichever way one looks at it, it's terrible. The desecration and abuse of MM's corpse, the prolonged agony of her family, and the serious deformities that the fetus suffered. IMO, this case has shown a lot of people who usually don't "take sides" on this issue, that these so-called "pro-life" laws are, in actuality, incredibly inhumane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox