Printable Flyer for Truck Stops

I am working on one of those "Dumb Drew" photos as we speak. LOL Guess I will wait and post it over there! LOL

We know how the Paparrazi are about ownership and rights on their photos. They are worth a mint...you know!

As a professional news and sports photographer I am offended by that (bolded) statement. Not all photographers are paparazzi.

Here is the definition of the word, as a little reminder: Paparazzi is a plural term (paparazzo being the singular form) for photographers who take candid photographs of celebrities, usually by relentlessly shadowing them in their public and private activities.

And for the ones that are paparazzi: they wouldn't be around if there wasn't an audience. And the audience is the creator here.

I don't mean to hijack this thread for a debate about this, but I do have to stand up for myself and others in my line of work. Paparazzo/i is not just a friendly slang word for photographer(s), it is highly offensive.

I am sure the person I quoted didn't mean any harm by it, so don't think I am 'attacking the person'. My skin is also thick enough to not hold grudges or wallow in things. But I did have to educate. :)

Oh and my reason for following this thread: we live near the I-80 which is pretty much a straight shot between NYC and Bolingbrook, so it is not unlikely at all that truckers who were in that area would pass the truckstop near us. So I am eagerly anticipating the official word on the flyers on whether they really can be used or not.... because I want to start plastering them all over the place there (well, here :)).

I don't mean to hijack this thread for a debate about this, but I do have to stand up for myself and others in my line of work. Paparazzo/i is not just a friendly slang word for photographer(s), it is highly offensive.

Geesh... your a news and sports photog, not the pap.

Geesh... your a news and sports photog, not the pap.

I don't think you quite got my point if this is your reaction. But that's okay. I didn't expect anyone to, nor do I want to make an issue out of it in this thread (or at all).

I don't think you quite got my point if this is your reaction. But that's okay. I didn't expect anyone to, nor do I want to make an issue out of it in this thread (or at all).
I am sorry, Janet!! I didn't mean it in a bad way. I was making a point about how photographs are worth a lot of money and how they might go after anyone using them without permission. I was trying help people using them to make posters. (I would hope you agree with this on both sides.)

The reason the term popped into my head is because of the throngs of photographers surrounding DP at the moment...is not unlike the way they chase celebs for photo ops. I realize not all photographers work this way and I am sorry if I offended you in any way. Was not my intention. :blowkiss:

SS, I'm know I said I was offended but that was more like a very temporary thing, lol. ;) I know how you meant it and that you didn't mean any harm with it. I know exactly where you came from and I agree with you, as well. Usually I don't say anything about it, but eh LOL.

I'm puzzled though where my other post disappeared to... I can't find it now. I qouted the first part of your message as well :

They just need to make certain permission HAS been granted tho. Better safe than sorry.

And I said that you're sure right about that. Just naming the source isn't enough in some cases and it really is better to make sure they actually did give permission.
Like if they put 'People Magazine photo' on the flyer as a source but didn't get PM's actual permission, it might not be enough. I forget who's working on the flyers but yes they really do need to make sure to get this permission (doesn't have to be in writing although an email seems easy enough, just to be all covered).

Thanks for taking my post as it was intended SS... I always worry like crazy when I write some 'criticizing' post (can't think of the exact word I'm looking for now, lol) that I will offend someone... for some reason I guess I sound bitchy when I don't agree, but I always try and word it as respectful as I can. Well mostly. Sometimes I don't give a hoot, but that's very very rare. :D

:blowkiss:

SS, I'm know I said I was offended but that was more like a very temporary thing, lol. ;) I know how you meant it and that you didn't mean any harm with it. I know exactly where you came from and I agree with you, as well. Usually I don't say anything about it, but eh LOL.

I'm puzzled though where my other post disappeared to... I can't find it now. I qouted the first part of your message as well :

They just need to make certain permission HAS been granted tho. Better safe than sorry.

And I said that you're sure right about that. Just naming the source isn't enough in some cases and it really is better to make sure they actually did give permission.
Like if they put 'People Magazine photo' on the flyer as a source but didn't get PM's actual permission, it might not be enough. I forget who's working on the flyers but yes they really do need to make sure to get this permission (doesn't have to be in writing although an email seems easy enough, just to be all covered).

Thanks for taking my post as it was intended SS... I always worry like crazy when I write some 'criticizing' post (can't think of the exact word I'm looking for now, lol) that I will offend someone... for some reason I guess I sound bitchy when I don't agree, but I always try and word it as respectful as I can. Well mostly. Sometimes I don't give a hoot, but that's very very rare. :D

:blowkiss:
I have no problem that you reacted as you did! You do have a right to defend not only yourself, but your entire field! I should be more careful about how I say things and not just say the first thing that pops into my head!

There IS a distinct difference between hardworking photographers and the Pap. It is rather like high class vs. low to no class in your field. (Great...now I am going to piss off real paps! LOL)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaBN1
Back