Problems with the DA

I don't blame the grand jury, I blame the DA and his office for the completely tepid and incomplete presentation of the evidence and facts of the case.

And it sure doesn't help when idiots like ML go public and proclaim that the Rs are innocent and have been cleared when she did not and never had the authority to clear anybody. But the general public heard that and saw the headlines and probably 90% of the sheeple in this country take that as gospel.

Agatha>>>>> :floorlaugh: Sheeple....... :floorlaugh:

Oh, I agree and printgal, I wasnt laughing at you. I just loved the word sheeples...lol...

Let me say that again.... I agreed with you PrintG, it was the word sheeples that tickled my funny bone. I didnt stop to think that it looked like I was laughing at your post. That was not my intent. Sorry if it made you feel bad in any way.

thought this was interesting re the DA's office work

http://www.dailycamera.com/boulder-county-news/ci_17097385?source=rss

Reviving Boulder County's cold cases

The Boulder County District Attorney's decision Friday to appeal the 2006 case of suspected murder victim Angela Wilds to the Colorado Supreme Court is the latest in a string of new developments in some of Boulder County's most infamous cold cases. Here's a look at some of them.

JonBenet Ramsey

The 6-year-old girl was found dead Dec. 26, 1996, in the basement of her family's Boulder home on 15th Street. In 2006, a media circus descended on Boulder after John Mark Karr was arrested in connection with the decade-old case. He was exonerated after his DNA didn't match crime-scene evidence.

In February 2009, District Attorney Stan Garnett gave control of the case back to Boulder police.

The department then held a meeting with an advisory committee to review all the evidence in the case. On that group's advice, police in October began a new round of interviews related to the slaying.

Angela Wilds

The body of Angela Wilds was found by hikers in South St. Vrain Canyon on June 4, 2006.

After four years of investigation, police arrested her former boyfriend, John Angerer, in March 2010.

After Angerer was extradited from Alaska to Colorado, charged with second-degree murder and held for months, he was released from custody in July 2010 when a Boulder County judge ruled there was not enough evidence for the case against him to proceed.

District Attorney Stan Garnett appealed the ruling, but a district court judge in December upheld the lower court's decision, and Angerer remains free. Garnett appealed the case to the Colorado Supreme Court on Friday.

Sid Wells

University of Colorado senior Sid Wells was found shot to death Aug. 1, 1983, in his condominium in Boulder's Spanish Towers, 805 29th St. Police said Wells was forced to the floor and shot execution-style in the back of the head.

In October of that year, police arrested Thayne Smika, who was living with Wells at the time of the crime, at his family's home in Akron.

A grand jury convened to investigate the homicide as then-Boulder County District Attorney Alex Hunter declined to charge Smika, saying there was not sufficient evidence. The grand jury ended in 1985 with no indictment.

Hunter reviewed the case again in 1999 and declined to issue an arrest warrant. Newly elected District Attorney Mary Lacy came to the same conclusion two years later.

In 2009, District Attorney Stan Garnett said he'd review the case and consider running old evidence through new DNA tests. On Thursday, Boulder police unsealed an arrest affidavit for Smika that names him as Wells' suspected murderer. His whereabouts are unknown.

Susannah Chase

Susannah Chase was a 23-year-old student at the University of Colorado who was found brutally beaten in an alley near her home at 18th and Spruce streets on Dec. 21, 1997. She died the next day.

Boulder police arrested Diego Olmos Alcalde in January 2008 after his DNA -- which had been entered into a federal database -- turned up as a match to evidence recovered from Chase's body.

In June 2009, a Boulder County jury found Alcalde guilty of first-degree murder, sexual assault and kidnapping. He is now serving a life sentence without the possibility of parole at the Sterling Correctional Facility.

David Eugene Cox

The 55-year old was found bludgeoned to death Jan. 4, 1994, in his mobile home at Boulder Meadows in north Boulder. He was last seen alive on New Year's Eve 1993. An autopsy showed that he died of massive head injuries caused by a blunt object, which police said was a cast-iron tea kettle. Prosecutors believe David John Trujillo killed Cox.

District Attorney Stan Garnett agreed to take another look at the case after he took office in 2009. Cox was arrested in May 2010, but the case was dropped in August after a judge ruled there was not enough evidence to try him. District Judge Lael Montgomery later overruled that opinion.

Garnett sent the judge's order concerning Trujillo to Boulder police and will leave it up to them whether to arrest him again. Trujillo is in poor health, police have said.

Carol Murphy

Hikers found Carol Murphy's nude body near a trailhead in Lefthand Canyon on May 23, 1987. She had been strangled and her throat slit, authorities said.

Her ex-husband, Kevin Elmarr, was initially a suspect in the case. But prosecutors were unable to definitively tie him to the crime until improved DNA technology in early 2007 determined that he'd had sex with Murphy just hours before she died, despite the fact that he had told police he hadn't been intimate with her for years.

In August 2009, a Boulder County jury convicted Elmarr of first-degree murder. He was sentenced to life in prison without parole.

-------------------

btw,re

On that group's advice, police in October began a new round of interviews related to the slaying.

we know BR refused,but who else do you think did they question?would be interesting to know

Frankly, I don't think they questioned anyone. I think BR is the only one they probably WANT to question, and his lawyer will not allow it. Doesn't anyone in LE there wonder why?

But if they investigate only RDI (which IMO is wrong) they gotta have more than hoping BR will spill the beans.Cause even if he does this won't force JR to talk,LW will argue that BR's memory is not reliable.

But if they investigate only RDI (which IMO is wrong) they gotta have more than hoping BR will spill the beans.Cause even if he does this won't force JR to talk,LW will argue that BR's memory is not reliable.

Approaching BR just means that idiots are in charge now.

Approaching BR just means that idiots are in charge now.

Why,if IDI BR might have witnessed something.He might have seen or heard something but doesn't wanna remember.
Why does everyone(including RDI's) assume that talking to BR points to LE targeting the Ramsey's.
This is JR's fault as well,how can he be so sure that his son didn't hear /see anything that night, this might (weak chance I know,still) help catching the bad guy.It IS a hope.

I am NOT saying JMK did it or anything close to it but let's take JMK's words as an example.On his freaky site he said something re BR being a witness to his crime.I know this is probably another sick joke of JMK's
BUT
if IDI how do you know this didn't happen?I mean with the intruder being someone else,not JMK,but someone like him?

I am NOT saying JMK did it or anything close to it but let's take JMK's words as an example.On his freaky site he said something re BR being a witness to his crime.I know this is probably another sick joke of JMK's
BUT
if IDI how do you know this didn't happen?I mean with the intruder being someone else,not JMK,but someone like him?

Like his half-brother?

thought this was interesting re the DA's office work

http://www.dailycamera.com/boulder-county-news/ci_17097385?source=rss

Reviving Boulder County's cold cases

The Boulder County District Attorney's decision Friday to appeal the 2006 case of suspected murder victim Angela Wilds to the Colorado Supreme Court is the latest in a string of new developments in some of Boulder County's most infamous cold cases. Here's a look at some of them.

JonBenet Ramsey

The 6-year-old girl was found dead Dec. 26, 1996, in the basement of her family's Boulder home on 15th Street. In 2006, a media circus descended on Boulder after John Mark Karr was arrested in connection with the decade-old case. He was exonerated after his DNA didn't match crime-scene evidence.

In February 2009, District Attorney Stan Garnett gave control of the case back to Boulder police.

The department then held a meeting with an advisory committee to review all the evidence in the case. On that group's advice, police in October began a new round of interviews related to the slaying.

Angela Wilds

The body of Angela Wilds was found by hikers in South St. Vrain Canyon on June 4, 2006.

After four years of investigation, police arrested her former boyfriend, John Angerer, in March 2010.

After Angerer was extradited from Alaska to Colorado, charged with second-degree murder and held for months, he was released from custody in July 2010 when a Boulder County judge ruled there was not enough evidence for the case against him to proceed.

District Attorney Stan Garnett appealed the ruling, but a district court judge in December upheld the lower court's decision, and Angerer remains free. Garnett appealed the case to the Colorado Supreme Court on Friday.

Sid Wells

University of Colorado senior Sid Wells was found shot to death Aug. 1, 1983, in his condominium in Boulder's Spanish Towers, 805 29th St. Police said Wells was forced to the floor and shot execution-style in the back of the head.

In October of that year, police arrested Thayne Smika, who was living with Wells at the time of the crime, at his family's home in Akron.

A grand jury convened to investigate the homicide as then-Boulder County District Attorney Alex Hunter declined to charge Smika, saying there was not sufficient evidence. The grand jury ended in 1985 with no indictment.

Hunter reviewed the case again in 1999 and declined to issue an arrest warrant. Newly elected District Attorney Mary Lacy came to the same conclusion two years later.

In 2009, District Attorney Stan Garnett said he'd review the case and consider running old evidence through new DNA tests. On Thursday, Boulder police unsealed an arrest affidavit for Smika that names him as Wells' suspected murderer. His whereabouts are unknown.

Susannah Chase

Susannah Chase was a 23-year-old student at the University of Colorado who was found brutally beaten in an alley near her home at 18th and Spruce streets on Dec. 21, 1997. She died the next day.

Boulder police arrested Diego Olmos Alcalde in January 2008 after his DNA -- which had been entered into a federal database -- turned up as a match to evidence recovered from Chase's body.

In June 2009, a Boulder County jury found Alcalde guilty of first-degree murder, sexual assault and kidnapping. He is now serving a life sentence without the possibility of parole at the Sterling Correctional Facility.

David Eugene Cox

The 55-year old was found bludgeoned to death Jan. 4, 1994, in his mobile home at Boulder Meadows in north Boulder. He was last seen alive on New Year's Eve 1993. An autopsy showed that he died of massive head injuries caused by a blunt object, which police said was a cast-iron tea kettle. Prosecutors believe David John Trujillo killed Cox.

District Attorney Stan Garnett agreed to take another look at the case after he took office in 2009. Cox was arrested in May 2010, but the case was dropped in August after a judge ruled there was not enough evidence to try him. District Judge Lael Montgomery later overruled that opinion.

Garnett sent the judge's order concerning Trujillo to Boulder police and will leave it up to them whether to arrest him again. Trujillo is in poor health, police have said.

Carol Murphy

Hikers found Carol Murphy's nude body near a trailhead in Lefthand Canyon on May 23, 1987. She had been strangled and her throat slit, authorities said.

Her ex-husband, Kevin Elmarr, was initially a suspect in the case. But prosecutors were unable to definitively tie him to the crime until improved DNA technology in early 2007 determined that he'd had sex with Murphy just hours before she died, despite the fact that he had told police he hadn't been intimate with her for years.

In August 2009, a Boulder County jury convicted Elmarr of first-degree murder. He was sentenced to life in prison without parole.

-------------------

ETA

Smika was arrested in the case a short time after the slaying but Boulder District Attorney Alex Hunter refused to file formal charges. A grand jury looked into the slaying but did not issue an indictment at the request of Hunter.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/26655394/detail.html

:banghead::banghead: wth was wrong with this man?
Now everybody has to clean up after his mess and start re-investigating every murder because he was too scared to prosecute???

geeez:loser::banghead:

ETA

Smika was arrested in the case a short time after the slaying but Boulder District Attorney Alex Hunter refused to file formal charges. A grand jury looked into the slaying but did not issue an indictment at the request of Hunter.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/26655394/detail.html

I'm glad this came up!

:banghead::banghead: wth was wrong with this man?

That would be the question!

Now everybody has to clean up after his mess and start re-investigating every murder because he was too scared to prosecute???

geeez:loser::banghead:

YUP! I'd like to see someone try to defend him now!

Boulder DA solves another one! I really have faith in this man. If anyone will ever charge someone in the Ramsey case, it's this guy. If it can be done, he will do it.
http://www.dailycamera.com/news/boulder/ci_21968239/not-forgotten-how-boulder-da-police-crack-cold

Couldn't open it, but I assume it refers to to the present DA. I don't know whether the Rs case is a chargeable case. Of the three possible perps, one os dead and one is forever beyond prosecution. But Hope Springs Eternal.

Hm, DeeDee, it's working for me.... But yes, it's an article on Stan the Man and his success in prosecuting cold cases, with very little evidence. I agree with your assessment, though. But like I said, if it CAN be done, he WILL do it. Stan has been very busy.
"The conviction marked the eighth cold-case homicide that the Boulder County District Attorney's Office has closed with either a guilty verdict or an admission of guilt since current DA Stan Garnett took office in 2009."
SBM
These were all murder cases the two former DAs couldn't be bothered to prosecute. It wasn't just the Ramsey case they erred on. It was most of them. I know of someone who got busted with 3lbs of coke in his locker, and he got probation! That sure isn't a personal use amount-unless you're Keith Richards. The city of Boulder would have made better use of hiring a couple of trained monkeys rather than Hunter and Lacy. Moo

LOL at Keith Richards. He can't be killed through conventional means.
Looks like he's been dead for years anyway. I knew him in NYC when I was 14- he was 19. Crazy then, crazy now. They all were.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallon
Back