Professor Bans College Students From Saying ‘Bless You’ In Class

Other infractions include sharpening your pencil.

Sharpening the utensil you use to take notes is a bigger problem than not taking the notes? And if your pencil breaks, another infraction is asking for handouts (i.e. can i borrow a pen?)

How does he expect students to function? LOL

I DO agree with turning off your cell phone and not arriving late. Those are obvious. I can't get over the sharpening pencils thing in a classroom though.

Why shouldn't a college-age student come prepared with more than one pencil? Electric sharpeners can be quite loud and disruptive.

College students are adults. They ought to be able to show consideration for their professor and their fellow students.

And for all of you who are claiming none of this is disruptive. I lost count of the complaints I received from serious students who were disrupted by the nervous tics and habits of their neighbors. Students ARE disturbed by this interruptions, even though the popular sentiment here seems to be that the prof is an ego-maniac.

If you have students issuing a "5 minute chorus" of blessyous, I think I already addressed that, too. If the students are just full of themselves and determined to take over the class with hijinks, it's time to not allow that. That can be addressed at the beginning of the semester with "my time and yours is valuable and so I will not tolerate extended disruptions of the classroom. Repeated disruptive behavior will result in the student being asked to leave".

I've had hundreds of hours in a college classroom too, Nova, as I think most of us have. I have never - in my life - seen "bless yous" get out of hand.

If you have been in that situation, students who are causing that kind of chaos should be excused from the class.

Why shouldn't a college-age student come prepared with more than one pencil? Electric sharpeners can be quite loud and disruptive.

College students are adults. They ought to be able to show consideration for their professor and their fellow students.

And for all of you who are claiming none of this is disruptive. I lost count of the complaints I received from serious students who were disrupted by the nervous tics and habits of their neighbors. Students ARE disturbed by this interruptions, even though the popular sentiment here seems to be that the prof is an ego-maniac.

Students who are disrupted by nervous tics of others? ?? That's what college is for, IMHO. To broaden you. If a student seriously can't stand to be around someone who has a "nervous tic", then next time they come to class choose another side of the classroom to sit on. We all have to tolerate the quirks and foibles of others, and when you're college age this is just the time to learn that lesson. If a student came to me with a serious complaint that they couldn't stand another student's tic, I think I'd have them write a paper on empathy. For a grade.

Frankly, I'm shocked at the sense of entitlement evidenced in this thread. It seems posters feel students are entitled to behave as they please--even to the extent of reenacting ancient superstitions!

Nobody even seems interested in the challenge of holding the attention of teenagers accustomed to texting in class, and listening to iPods and surfing the net while studying. Getting kids to think through difficult material in a critical, yet methodical manner is no easy task in this era where multiple media are clamoring for their attention.

Question: did anyone here who is calling the professor in question a toad, etc., attend a top tier liberal arts school? Such schools are primarily concerned with teaching students to think critically--and a rote response of "Bless you" after a sneeze is the very opposite of critical thinking.

Students who are disrupted by nervous tics of others? ?? That's what college is for, IMHO. To broaden you. If a student seriously can't stand to be around someone who has a "nervous tic", then next time they come to class choose another side of the classroom to sit on. We all have to tolerate the quirks and foibles of others, and when you're college age this is just the time to learn that lesson. If a student came to me with a serious complaint that they couldn't stand another student's tic, I think I'd have them write a paper on empathy. For a grade.

Per my department's policy, freshmen students all took the same classes and occupied the same assigned seats for each class. (It's a long story as to why, but it was partly to break up cliques that tend to chat with each other.) Neither I nor my students had any choice in the matter.

By nervous "tics", I meant such things as repeating aloud what I was saying, muttering under their breath, etc. and so forth. I wasn't talking about something like an involuntary eye twitch.

If you have students issuing a "5 minute chorus" of blessyous, I think I already addressed that, too. If the students are just full of themselves and determined to take over the class with hijinks, it's time to not allow that. That can be addressed at the beginning of the semester with "my time and yours is valuable and so I will not tolerate extended disruptions of the classroom. Repeated disruptive behavior will result in the student being asked to leave".

I've had hundreds of hours in a college classroom too, Nova, as I think most of us have. I have never - in my life - seen "bless yous" get out of hand.

If you have been in that situation, students who are causing that kind of chaos should be excused from the class.

JeannaT, I've already said I find the 1% deduction misguided. But in my experience, the syllabus is considered a legal contract between instructor and student; if a class rule isn't mentioned in writing, the administration may not back up the teacher when and if s/he is challenged.

Further, asking a student to leave your class is subject to more rules than I can recount. I never had cause to do so, so I never looked up all the regulations. But a student has paid for the class and can't be removed on a whim.

Personally, I am 6'3", with a commanding voice and a talent for snark. I very rarely had discipline problems in class. But the litigiousness of American culture doesn't stop at the academic door. Lots of colleges are very gun shy about being sued, which may be why this professor felt it necessary to spell out so many "rules".

Frankly, I'm shocked at the sense of entitlement evidenced in this thread. It seems posters feel students are entitled to behave as they please--even to the extent of reenacting ancient superstitions!

Nobody even seems interested in the challenge of holding the attention of teenagers accustomed to texting in class, and listening to iPods and surfing the net while studying. Getting kids to think through difficult material in a critical, yet methodical manner is no easy task in this era where multiple media are clamoring for their attention.

Question: did anyone here who is calling the professor in question a toad, etc., attend a top tier liberal arts school? Such schools are primarily concerned with teaching students to think critically--and a rote response of "Bless you" after a sneeze is the very opposite of critical thinking.

I was the one who called him a toad and I attended Texas A&M University with a double major in sociology and psychology.

Saying "bless you" after a sneeze is the essence of kind behavior. It has nothing to do with "critical thinking". It connotes a welcoming, and kind classroom. Creates unity and fellowship and a relaxed friendly atmosphere.

Wow. This this thread took a serious southward path. I read the story awhile back, and it reminded me of the first time I said "bless you" (I rarely talk religion) to someone who did not appreciate it. I was like.....Whaa? Okay.

Some people consider you rude for saying it, others say you are rude for not saying it.

I believe the only reason this story has had any "legs" is that it plays into the rhetoric of those for whom the <modsnip>. I personally think the instructor is being ridiculous, and I say that truly having the utmost respect for educators. What does this guy do during cold and flu season? It must drive him to drink having to listen to all of the coughing, sniffing, throat clearing. I don't tend to comment when people sneeze or make involuntary bodily noises but I understand that for many it is as ingrained and automatic as saying "thank you" in response to being offered a courtesy. And now I'm very curious. My son has Tourette's Syndrome. Should I assume that had my son been in this man's class he would likely be kicked out due to his involuntary gross motor and/or vocal tics? And as far as keeping the attention of students in class. I attended a BIG 10 University and assume our lectures and labs were bigger than than Coastal Georgia. (Is that the school?) As college students it was made pretty clear to us that whether or not we absorbed the class material, participated in class or even showed up was all on us. I would not have presumed it was the professor's role to "entertain" us and if one doesn't understand coursework, well, that's what office hours and TAs are for. If the instructor can't power through a few "bless you's" it reflects on the instructor much more than it does on the students. And if the instructor simply does not make the effort to "back up" and regain attention when class is disrupted, would that not be pretty effective incentive for the students to not respond with "bless you" or otherwise voluntarily disrupt the lesson? College was very much sink or swim when I was there and it was the student's responsibility to avail themselves of the educational opportunities presented. I feel he's being petty and silly and clearly his ego is more important to him than whether or not his students are learning from him.

Wow. This this thread took a serious southward path. I read the story awhile back, and it reminded me of the first time I said "bless you" (I rarely talk religion) to someone who did not appreciate it. I was like.....Whaa? Okay.

Some people consider you rude for saying it, others say you are rude for not saying it.

Really? You said "bless you" to someone who sneezed and they gave you grief? I say God Bless You to anyone in public who sneezes, and no one ever in the history of about 50 years has ever given me grief. They usually look me in the eye and smile. They usually will actually turn around, and pause, and smile right at me.

Other infractions include sharpening your pencil.

Sharpening the utensil you use to take notes is a bigger problem than not taking the notes? And if your pencil breaks, another infraction is asking for handouts (i.e. can i borrow a pen?)

How does he expect students to function? LOL

I DO agree with turning off your cell phone and not arriving late. Those are obvious. I can't get over the sharpening pencils thing in a classroom though.

I rarely used pencils in college, but a grade deduction for sharpening or breaking??????????

In all my years at uni, the only explicit rule I remember was turning off phones. Isn't it just good manners to not speak to other students in class and try not to make other distracting noises? Do college students really need to be told? Isn't the disapproval of their peers enough? If someone sneezes next to you, you're not going to say "bless you" so loudly the teacher or half the lecture can hear you. But saying "bless you" to someone on the other side of the room would be unnecessary and rude. I can't tell from this article whether the teacher is being hysterical or the class generally acts innapropriately. In any case, the teacher banned all forms of talking over him. Bless you was just an example. I fail to see how Christians are the victim here.

In all my years at uni, the only explicit rule I remember was turning off phones. Isn't it just good manners to not speak to other students in class and try not to make other distracting noises? Do college students really need to be told? Isn't the disapproval of their peers enough? If someone sneezes next to you, you're not going to say "bless you" so loudly the teacher or half the lecture can hear you. But saying "bless you" to someone on the other side of the room would be unnecessary and rude. I can't tell from this article whether the teacher is being hysterical or the class generally acts innapropriately. In any case, the teacher banned all forms of talking over him. Bless you was just an example. I fail to see how Christians are the victim here.

Some of us a bit raw from constant censorship from saying anything ''remotely religious". The best example I can give you is at Christmas time in the office where you are chastised ((literally)) by supervisory staff if they overhear you talking to a client on the phone and wishing them a Merry Christmas. It is awkward to ''defend'' yourself to said supervisory staff by constantly saying, but the client wished me a Merry Christmas and I was raised to respond in kind. It's all gotten so very out of hand ... meaning the censorship and heavy handedness to sanitize very social comment to be totally bereft of any reference to God or religious holiday. MOO

I believe most people are courteous enough to be polite and do not need reminding constantly on political correctness and that's what folks are referring to as the anti Christian sentiments. Seasons greetings is the only acceptable thing to say in the office these days and oh yes when departing the office Christmas Eve for the past few years NO ONE has said Merry Christmas to me ((now that I find offensive)) MOO

That being said LOL those same office people will say ''bless you" if you sneeze during a presentation or a meeting. So the sneezing you see is the last hill we are defending LOL.

I believe the only reason this story has had any "legs" is that it plays into the rhetoric of those for whom <modsnip>d is a concern. I personally think the instructor is being ridiculous, and I say that truly having the utmost respect for educators. What does this guy do during cold and flu season? It must drive him to drink having to listen to all of the coughing, sniffing, throat clearing. I don't tend to comment when people sneeze or make involuntary bodily noises but I understand that for many it is as ingrained and automatic as saying "thank you" in response to being offered a courtesy. And now I'm very curious. My son has Tourette's Syndrome. Should I assume that had my son been in this man's class he would likely be kicked out due to his involuntary gross motor and/or vocal tics? And as far as keeping the attention of students in class. I attended a BIG 10 University and assume our lectures and labs were bigger than than Coastal Georgia. (Is that the school?) As college students it was made pretty clear to us that whether or not we absorbed the class material, participated in class or even showed up was all on us. I would not have presumed it was the professor's role to "entertain" us and if one doesn't understand coursework, well, that's what office hours and TAs are for. If the instructor can't power through a few "bless you's" it reflects on the instructor much more than it does on the students. And if the instructor simply does not make the effort to "back up" and regain attention when class is disrupted, would that not be pretty effective incentive for the students to not respond with "bless you" or otherwise voluntarily disrupt the lesson? College was very much sink or swim when I was there and it was the student's responsibility to avail themselves of the educational opportunities presented. I feel he's being petty and silly and clearly his ego is more important to him than whether or not his students are learning from him.

As reported, the professor said nothing about noise from students who were ill. It was the unnecessary response by others that he addressed.

The Americans with Disabilities Act is pretty clear: in any of my classes, allowance would have been made for your son's challenges. Though personally I think people who have to say "bless you" every time somebody sneezes are probably challenged in some regard, I don't believe the law recognizes them as requiring protection.

I went through college with the attitude you describe: I went to class or didn't, did the home work or didn't, and took the grade I got without complaint. But a lot has changed since I was an undergrad. I don't know how old you are, but I suspect things have changed since you were one, too.

Some of us a bit raw from constant censorship from saying anything ''remotely religious". The best example I can give you is at Christmas time in the office where you are chastised ((literally)) by supervisory staff if they overhear you talking to a client on the phone and wishing them a Merry Christmas. It is awkward to ''defend'' yourself to said supervisory staff by constantly saying, but the client wished me a Merry Christmas and I was raised to respond in kind. It's all gotten so very out of hand ... meaning the censorship and heavy handedness to sanitize very social comment to be totally bereft of any reference to God or religious holiday. MOO

I believe most people are courteous enough to be polite and do not need reminding constantly on political correctness and that's what folks are referring to as the anti Christian sentiments. Seasons greetings is the only acceptable thing to say in the office these days and oh yes when departing the office Christmas Eve for the past few years NO ONE has said Merry Christmas to me ((now that I find offensive)) MOO

That being said LOL those same office people will say ''bless you" if you sneeze during a presentation or a meeting. So the sneezing you see is the last hill we are defending LOL.

I certainly appreciate the honest answer to my repeated question. But interrupting a speaker to say "Merry Christmas" is just as rude, though I seriously doubt you would do that. As for my classroom, students said whatever they liked as they left for a holiday. Why would I care?

I don't know where you work, but Fox News notwithstanding, I hear "Merry Christmas" at all sorts of businesses every year, even though I am not personally a Christian. (FTR, nor am I offended. I appreciate the sentiment and Muslims are just as welcome to wish me a Happy Ramadan. "Have a happy holiday" seems to cover all the bases, however.)

I was the one who called him a toad and I attended Texas A&M University with a double major in sociology and psychology.

Saying "bless you" after a sneeze is the essence of kind behavior. It has nothing to do with "critical thinking". It connotes a welcoming, and kind classroom. Creates unity and fellowship and a relaxed friendly atmosphere.

Then you should know better. Biology or theater history or sociology class is not the place to create unity or make friends.

As reported, the professor said nothing about noise from students who were ill. It was the unnecessary response by others that he addressed.

The Americans with Disabilities Act is pretty clear: in any of my classes, allowance would have been made for your son's challenges. Though personally I think people who have to say "bless you" every time somebody sneezes are probably challenged in some regard, I don't believe the law recognizes them as requiring protection.

I went through college with the attitude you describe: I went to class or didn't, did the home work or didn't, and took the grade I got without complaint. But a lot has changed since I was an undergrad. I don't know how old you are, but I suspect things have changed since you were one, too.
BBM

Still chuckling madly.

Then you should know better. Biology or theater history or sociology class is not the place to create unity or make friends.

I couldn't disagree more with what you said. Every place you go is a place to create unity and make friends and foster good will and create connectedness. Maybe not during Jury selection, or in line outside a voting booth.

Everywhere else is an opportunity to make people feel connected, cared about, valued, etc. You just never know when the smallest act of kindness or graciousness, or acceptance, is going to make a huge impact on someone who is struggling. I think we as humans are called to that. Even in a place like a lecture hall on a college campus. I can't imagine thinking that a college class is no place to interact in a positive way.

<modsnip> quoted post

No. It's the teacher's pompous attitude that's being protested here. By his own admission, in his own words, "We are taught that it is polite to say &#8216;bless you&#8217; when someone sneezes. However, if you say this while I am talking, it is NOT polite, it is very rude!&#8221;

"We are taught that it is polite to say &#8216;bless you&#8217; when someone sneezes."

All of this. If a student can't concentrate because of the smallest of "distractions", like sharpening a pencil, then maybe they aren't ready for those critical thinking situations.

<modsnip>

No. It's the teacher's pompous attitude that's being protested here. By his own admission, in his own words, "We are taught that it is polite to say &#8216;bless you&#8217; when someone sneezes. However, if you say this while I am talking, it is NOT polite, it is very rude!&#8221;

"We are taught that it is polite to say &#8216;bless you&#8217; when someone sneezes."

He sounds like a megalomaniac to me!

--

<modsnip>

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member