Proposed New FL. Law-jurors can't profit from service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh dear! I think I'd have to go with Mr. NeJame here... he isn't proposing keeping them from voicing their opinion. I don't think the constitution covers making profit from your free speech. :twocents:

I assumed that comments about constitutional rights referred to freedom of the press, not the right to free speech. Freedom of the press gives the right to publish without governmental restraint and I would think that the media will go with that argument.

I love this proposal! Regardless of the outcome of this trial, the purpose of the jury is to remain fair and impartial, so the defendant can always get a fair trial. Great lengths are gone to, to keep the jury pure and impartial. The lure of profiting from their service looming over them while they are deliberating is distracting and wrong.

I do not think it infringes on free speech. They are free to discuss at length what took place. They just can not profit from it. I don't see it much different than a gag order from the judge during a trial to ensure a fair result. It is a temporary control over free speech in order for defendants to get a fair trial. This proposal doesn't even restrict their speech like a gag order, just the profit. I think it is reasonable.

Hats off to the good citizens of Florida!

Many of us believe there has been a terrible miscarriage of justice with the verdict, however the people have risen up and spoken and are actually doing things to prevent the repeat of the egregious misbehavior we have witnessed.

Nobody can say the people of Florida have been complacent in the aftermath of this verdict. I and many are truly impressed - the outrage, the eloquence, and now the citizenry seeking new laws to prevent a replay of this whole mess.

Well done! Keep up the good work - you are an inspiration for the rest of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlackBalled