Prosecutor Juan Martinez releases new book, February 2016 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure, but I really like the "hoofed beast" analogy in reference to the killer.

Also, innuendo of a wildebeest, which is a cloven hoofed animal (i.e. unclean for biblical purposes). Maybe I'm just reading into that a little too much, but you know...Juan gets my humor because clearly he wants me. Appearing in my dreams, and all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

As in.....Satan? :) That was my first thought.

Dadgum these old eyes!!! It's all starting to blur, and I'm not nearly ready to stop reading tonight... Time to bring on the Super Squint method!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

OMG. Nurmi and Washington didn't tell Deanna Reid they represented the killer when they showed up at her house unannounced, had her read a pedo letter, and told her they were just asking questions and nothing would be on record.

Juan genuinely likes Deanna. :). Speaks of her with real warmth.

Finished. I don't think I'm giving anything away by saying that the narrative ends with the guilty verdict. There's a moving Epilogue, however, and I don't want to spoil it for others.

A really really good book.

Wow does JM let Nurmi off lightly for his sickening and incredibly unethical ambush of Deanna, and for his ummm....misrepresentations to Sky about being certain Travis had written letters confessing he was a pedophile.

JM mentions both incidents and moves right on. The difference between the slime book Nurmi wrote and JM's class act in this gem of a read couldn't be any clearer.

Wow does JM let Nurmi off lightly for his sickening and incredibly unethical ambush of Deanna, and for his ummm....misrepresentations to Sky about being certain Travis had written letters confessing he was a pedophile.

JM mentions both incidents and moves right on. The difference between the slime book Nurmi wrote and JM's class act in this gem of a read couldn't be any clearer.

Exactly.

LOL.

JM has other work he needs to do, the killer's case is just one on a list, but, he says, " at times my attention to the case bordered on the obsessive, to the point I couldn't get it out of my mind."

Turning into a pumpkin time here. I'll post more from the book tomorrow, and hope others do as well. Maybe the mods should put a spoiler alert on thread's first page...

Nighty night......

One thing I took from the book was just how incredibly disciplined Juan Martinez is, which, although it was already evident from watching him at trial, became more pronounced with this behind the scenes look into the mind of Martinez. From the descriptions of how he would never eat or drink at his desk, even a sip of water, because he didn't want to soil the paperwork or his clothing, to how he would not engage in conversation with Flores while court was in session to ensure they would not be overheard by the microphones, to the fact that he went over each transcript and listened to the audio recordings to ensure that everything was transcribed correctly, and his decision early on regarding how he was going to cross examine someone as slippery as Jodi, speaks to the precision with which he approached everything in this case. Very, very impressive. Maricopa County is fortunate to have someone like him.

I also found the whole description of how the secret magazine messages were discovered to be fascinating, as it appears that the behavior of Anne Campbell raised the suspicions of Juan and the intelligence officer at the jail. According to Juan, Anne Campbell stared at him with a grin in the waiting room of the jail while she was filling out visitation paperwork, leading him to remark to the intelligence officer that they were up to something. It prompted the intelligence officer to make a more thorough investigation into the magazines, although she had already checked them once. They may not have discovered the hidden messages otherwise.

He should pay the state back on all the money and time it took to get her life in prison. Especially for the cost of the 2nd trial penalty phase case.

Unbelievable.

That's as I remembered. I just didn't think that was an IQ test. It's probably multiple choice with trisyllabic words. Way too easy and that's not "intelligence", IMO.

I agree Rickshaw Fan, in my day the IQ test given was the Stanford-Binet test. I worked in Personnel for a financial company and we gave this test to all applicants. The scores were all over the map but we were looking for sharp people with good mathematical skills not glib talkers. CMJA would have been a no hire. We didn't hire anyone that didn't score 125 and above.

Chapter 3

In the lower right-hand corner of that picture, barely visible, appears to be a knee, so police knew Travis must have been the photographer. Arias’ hair was in pigtails.

I thought this was interesting I never saw the knee in the picture.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

EF must have done that interrogation on no sleep, since he flew up from Mesa when it was clear she was planning to escape and that it was imminent? He had to have flown up that night, and Yreka is complicated to get to. Maybe flew into Redding or Medford and had a deputy meet him? But there's a change of plane in there as well.
Yreka is directly on I5- not complicated by driving. You can get there from either Redding or Medford. Been through it going to and from Portland. Stopped to eat at Black Bear Diner both times. (They think they are called Jefferson).

There IS new info in it, at least for the most obsessed of us. :D

Beyond that, he writes really well, his dry humor is sprinkled throughout and you get a real sense of how his superb mind works. Worth every penny, IMO.

Lol, I admit this description gave me a laugh... "a plethora of condoms".

If the felon did not like being interviewed by a female PO, then can one imagine if all her guards are female? Felon is probably having a hissy fit because she cannot put things pass them like she does males. That is probably why she mouthed off to female guard....she so wanted a male to cut her hair....and probably, IMO, do some illegal favor for her...sneak things in and out.

Does JM mention Maria de...at all? sorry, I honestly don't remember her last name, I never can.:thinking:

If the felon did not like being interviewed by a female PO, then can one imagine if all her guards are female? Felon is probably having a hissy fit because she cannot put things pass them like she does males. That is probably why she mouthed off to female guard....she so wanted a male to cut her hair....and probably, IMO, do some illegal favor for her...sneak things in and out.

Does JM mention Maria de...at all? sorry, I honestly don't remember her last name, I never can.:thinking:

He didn't mention her by name, but he did say 'I am careful not to show emotion by laughing, smiling, or continually speaking to the detective sitting next to me at prosecution table. The courtroom is no place to be amiably chatting or chuckling.' which I felt referred to JA and MDLR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarti