Prosecutors Ask For Hearing On How Baez Is Getting Paid

I agree totally. HE has a destitute client, with a destitute family, yet he is hiring every high-priced expert in the USA. I know Henry Lee requires a $300,000 just to testify. I don't for a minute believe that everyone in this case is working for free or for publicity. These high-priced experts DON'Twork for free.

There is also an issue in my book that early on when Cindy was denying any movie deals, that Baez was NEGOTIATING for a movie deal then.

He claims also to be consulting with an ethics attorney. I don't his Baez, the same man holding Casey's hand, and hugging her inappropriately in the jail, even knows WHAT ethics are.

Some might be doing it for free, but certainly not ALL of them. Famous experts survive on what they are PAID. They become famous for being "high priced." There's something wrong in the Baez office. It's not like he's a Gerry Spence, who has contadcts with the high profile experts. He's a low-level atty with a poor record of defending drunks and lying in his bio. Is this someone that a high-profile expert would want to be assoicated with? I don't think so.
I wonder just how much help GR was if what you're saying is true.

I think, if you would look further, you would find they make evenmore for time spent IN COURT.

Even at a paltry $300 a hour, Casey is into Baez for some pretty big bucks.

Not to mention that SOMEONE has to pick up the tab for expenses for these experts - hotels, etc airplane trips to FL.

Attorney's are paid for ANY time billable time spent on a case. And you're correct this includes hotels, travel, phone calls, hell even parking, etc. Although I doubt he's being paid on an hourly basis.

If she cannot afford an attorney then yes a public defender would be provided for her. Or at some point if she claims she has no money and she still has Baez and her litany of experts the FL taxpayers could be forced to pay their fees (up to a certain amount). This is what happened out here in CA with Scott Peterson. The CA taxpayers had to pay a portion of Geragos' fee after Scotty's parents ran out of money.

Yes, the state of CA had to pay for Peterson's experts who didn't even testify. I am not sure that Florida has the same laws. Garegos was paid a million dollars and couldn't even afford his own experts. HE hired them, yet CA citizens had to pay for them - even though they didn't even testify.

Translate that to Baez not getting a dime from a derelict client. So HOW does he plan to pay for all these high priced esperts. Dr. Henry Lee did not work for free in the Peterson case. Someone had to pay for his trips to CA. Experts are not in the business toi work for free.

I would hate to try to figure the hours that Baez has already racked up with this client. I wonder if she knows that he's getting several hundred dollars an hour just to hug her.

You are NOT exaggerating my friend, that sounds about right. Although many expert witnesses aren't paid on a daily salary but a general lump sum. Or sometimes by conducting just ONE test. I worked with an expert witness that was paid $250,000.00 to conduct just one test. Just one, which took only 4 days. The test didn't work to our clients favor but we still had to pay the expert none the less.

Man- I think that's the way to go. I want to be an expert witness when I grow up! I had no idea about these big-time witnesses. My $1,600 figure was from a surgeon- well qualified, but just a surgeon from NYU med.

And this is just my thinking, but I'd imagine Dr. Lee and the rest of these national experts would charge someone like Casey MORE than celebrity clients. Rich and famous people who get in trouble with the law usually have rich and famous friends who get in trouble with the law- I know OJs experts are regulars on the Southern California court circuit. Also, testifying as a witness for a lawyer who works at a huge "name" law firm means a constant stream of cases- not exactly the case with the JB Law Firm. :confused:

A book or movie deal that is not contingent on the outcome of the case is not a conflict.

I fail to see how this money/payment issue is relevant to the case. KC is the one to complain that her attorney is at odds with her best interests, not the State, and she hasn't done so. Furthermore, the State is always going to maintain that KC's interests are best served with a confession, so I can not understand their concern that KC's defense in not in her best interest. She isn't the State's client and the practice of law is an art, not a science. Second guessing the trial strategy of a lawyer is very tricky business. One lawyer's approach may not match up with what another would do, but that does not mean one lawyer's approach is better than another's.

As long as the client is informed and doesn't object, there is a presumption of aquiesence on the client's part.

Apparently, JB has hit some nerves with the SA's office since they are attacking him and not his client. Typical government BS. Next, the State will audit his personal and business tax returns - this is how underhanded SA's can be. The Feds investigate any lawyer who dares to represents a criminal defendant in the Federal system. Then they bully the attorney with IRS audits, wire taps, USPS mail Inspectors - you name it.

Not exaclty justice, is it?

Respectfully- practice of law is an art? It is anything but, it is based on precedent, meaning an essential xerox of issues before it, not a creative expression canvas. It is actually the lithograph of the original, in effect.

Lastly, rights and options are DIRECTLY affected by market value, which of course is affected by the outcome of this case. One has only to look at ad costs for such projects, they differ by subject matter and audience interest, period.

But if JB is directly involved in book or movie deals then it is not a potential conflict, it's an actual conflict. And that kind of actual conflict can never be waived.

I can't really tell if this is an opinion, black & white letter of the Florida law, or a premise from a line of cases.

Either way though, my opinion is that if indeed JB is acting so as to broker entertainment & media deals, his bigger concern is the issue of whether or not that would be considered to be a contingency fee.
Because, under the Florida code of Ethics, as everywhere, the notion of a contingency fee arrangement in a criminal case is forbidden, and not something lawyers play around with if they value their license to practice law.

Humble-Opinion:wolf:

And I personally, would never say never , but again, that's just me and my humble opinion.

I think, if you would look further, you would find they make evenmore for time spent IN COURT.

Even at a paltry $300 a hour, Casey is into Baez for some pretty big bucks.

Not to mention that SOMEONE has to pick up the tab for expenses for these experts - hotels, etc airplane trips to FL.

Oh yeah- clients get charged for EVERYTHING. My best friend's firm charges the client for photocopies - you punch in the client # when you make the copy. Sounds ridiculous, but if you have 200,000 pages of discovery... another few thousand dollars just on photocopies!

Man- I think that's the way to go. I want to be an expert witness when I grow up! I had no idea about these big-time witnesses. My $1,600 figure was from a surgeon- well qualified, but just a surgeon from NYU med.

And this is just my thinking, but I'd imagine Dr. Lee and the rest of these national experts would charge someone like Casey MORE than celebrity clients. Rich and famous people who get in trouble with the law usually have rich and famous friends who get in trouble with the law- I know OJs experts are regulars on the Southern California court circuit. Also, testifying as a witness for a lawyer who works at a huge "name" law firm means a constant stream of cases- not exactly the case with the JB Law Firm. :confused:

I agree with you. I want to be an expert witness too! We have a very large firm and we always use the same experts over and over on the majority of our related cases, so they get paid handsomely for sure. We work in a specialized area so this might have something to do with our experts high fees.

And you're correct OJ's experts are VERY popular out here.

I remember there being at least 2 JonBenet Ramsey movies on TV and I'm pretty sure the Ramsey's didn't get compensated. I don't understand the whole 'selling the rights' thing..can't movies be made without having to pay them?

In Casey's case, this would be a form of an unauthorized biography. See the following link for the legal risks involved:

http://www.publaw.com/biography.html

Basically the writer or publisher could be sued, unless the subject of the book signs off their consent. Whether they get published or not probably hinges on a risk/reward trade-off of the likelihood of a lawsuit.

Many states have similar protection of the publicity, privacy and profit rights of deceased persons that are passed to the parents or other heirs. Not sure about the laws in Colorado, but in Florida as much as I hate the idea, until she is convicted, Casey probably "owns" the rights of profit and publicity to Caylee's image and story. Fla. Stat. § 540.08.

http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=Ch0540/SEC08.HTM#0540.08

Oh yeah- clients get charged for EVERYTHING. My best friend's firm charges the client for photocopies - you punch in the client # when you make the copy. Sounds ridiculous, but if you have 200,000 pages of discovery... another few thousand dollars just on photocopies!

Same here my friend, same here. We have ROOMS full of discovery from just one case. When we go to trial our war rooms take up an entire floor. When you have large cases you need to recoup some costs.

I'm calling that whoever is paying for him is the one that hooked him up with Casey to begin with. I don't believe her that she "heard his name from other inmates and told them to pass her name along".In the jailhouse visit, Lee seemed very suspicious of this too, and when he kinda questioned it she quickly goes "yeah, three of them can confirm it" Huh?? Ok who would say that..reminds me of when she said her "coworkers" Juliette and Jeff can confirm Zanny exists. Like, "look! I said other people can confirm it! So you know it's true." She knows Lee wouldn't really go and track down the three inmates and ask them about it. Also, In George's interview with LE, he also seems totally baffled as to how Casey got a lawyer without him. He told LE he knew Casey didn't have any money and he had no idea how she was paying for Jose. As soon as a person is booked, they are allowed to use the phone. It would be expected that Casey would immediately call mommy and daddy to take care of everything, just like they always have. Anyway, I have an idea who I think she called but I don't want to throw a name out there without any proof. Just saying, I think her story about just chatting with the other inmates, hearing a name, and taking care of everything herself is total bs!

Wonder how those three happened to mention that to someone in protective custody or wasn't she at first?

In anticipation of having to explain the source of his defense funding, JB carefully weighs his options asking......."Which one will they go for?"

bank.jpg
KC's Mattress money.

OR

piggy.jpg
Trusting that his client will pay up one day.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Lawlady, I know for a fact that some defense attorneys in my area (north Florida) charge $400.00 - $450.00 PER HOUR - not per day.

For a 1st degree Murder case..... $400.00 to $450.00 an hour sounds about right to me

Wonder how those three happened to mention that to someone in protective custody or wasn't she at first?

I'm not sure, this is what I was wondering. I asked awhile back and no one seemed to know. I can't imagine her being with everyone else in booking, and even if she was, I wouldn't think they are all just standing around socializing. I can't get over the way she said that three other people can confirm it. It was really odd, and I don't think Lee believed her at all. There's just no way Casey would trust some random inmates' recommendation about a lawyer instead of calling her parents, and then figuring out the payments herself.

I agree totally. HE has a destitute client, with a destitute family, yet he is hiring every high-priced expert in the USA. I know Henry Lee requires a $300,000 just to testify. I don't for a minute believe that everyone in this case is working for free or for publicity. These high-priced experts DON'Twork for free.

There is also an issue in my book that early on when Cindy was denying any movie deals, that Baez was NEGOTIATING for a movie deal then.

He claims also to be consulting with an ethics attorney. I don't his Baez, the same man holding Casey's hand, and hugging her inappropriately in the jail, even knows WHAT ethics are.

Some might be doing it for free, but certainly not ALL of them. Famous experts survive on what they are PAID. They become famous for being "high priced." There's something wrong in the Baez office. It's not like he's a Gerry Spence, who has contadcts with the high profile experts. He's a low-level atty with a poor record of defending drunks and lying in his bio. Is this someone that a high-profile expert would want to be assoicated with? I don't think so.

:clap: Agreed. Henry Lee also has some "ethic issues" evident from his little stunt at the Phil Spector trial. At least we don't have to worry about his testimony as much, his reputation will never be the same.

Stupid Question: If KC had to get rid of Baez, either now or later, HOW would she afford another one? Would she be forced to use a Public Defender?

That's not a stupid question. The answer is...

No, some shmoe will represent her Pro Bono just for the publicity. Baez would've been wise to announce as much, from the start, 'cause that's what he's gonna get. A big fat goose egg is what he'll be paid for his representation in this case. He should've just come forward, publicly, and stated he was taking on the Anthony case out of his need to see that those who cannot afford representation are given the opportunity to competent counsel and that he was waiving all fees and representing Casey free of charge.

Jose Baez is as stunted, mentally, as his client. These two deserve each other. It's a shame really, how much Casey doesn't realize how underserved she is with Baez as her attorney.

Stupid Question: If KC had to get rid of Baez, either now or later, HOW would she afford another one? Would she be forced to use a Public Defender?

HEE_HEE-----I hope so.

I'm calling that whoever is paying for him is the one that hooked him up with Casey to begin with. I don't believe her that she "heard his name from other inmates and told them to pass her name along".In the jailhouse visit, Lee seemed very suspicious of this too, and when he kinda questioned it she quickly goes "yeah, three of them can confirm it" Huh?? Ok who would say that..reminds me of when she said her "coworkers" Juliette and Jeff can confirm Zanny exists. Like, "look! I said other people can confirm it! So you know it's true." She knows Lee wouldn't really go and track down the three inmates and ask them about it. Also, In George's interview with LE, he also seems totally baffled as to how Casey got a lawyer without him. He told LE he knew Casey didn't have any money and he had no idea how she was paying for Jose. As soon as a person is booked, they are allowed to use the phone. It would be expected that Casey would immediately call mommy and daddy to take care of everything, just like they always have. Anyway, I have an idea who I think she called but I don't want to throw a name out there without any proof. Just saying, I think her story about just chatting with the other inmates, hearing a name, and taking care of everything herself is total bs!

Whisper in me ear-----I won't tell anybody----I promise.

A book or movie deal that is not contingent on the outcome of the case is not a conflict.

I fail to see how this money/payment issue is relevant to the case. KC is the one to complain that her attorney is at odds with her best interests, not the State, and she hasn't done so. Furthermore, the State is always going to maintain that KC's interests are best served with a confession, so I can not understand their concern that KC's defense in not in her best interest. She isn't the State's client and the practice of law is an art, not a science. Second guessing the trial strategy of a lawyer is very tricky business. One lawyer's approach may not match up with what another would do, but that does not mean one lawyer's approach is better than another's.

As long as the client is informed and doesn't object, there is a presumption of aquiesence on the client's part.

Apparently, JB has hit some nerves with the SA's office since they are attacking him and not his client. Typical government BS. Next, the State will audit his personal and business tax returns - this is how underhanded SA's can be. The Feds investigate any lawyer who dares to represents a criminal defendant in the Federal system. Then they bully the attorney with IRS audits, wire taps, USPS mail Inspectors - you name it.

Not exaclty justice, is it?

Any book or movie deal that could affect JB's professional judgment is an actual conflict. Perhaps it would be worth more if there were a trial, for instance. Perhaps he gets to write it and add another feather in his cap. Perhaps if he loses he will want to paint himself in a good light and his client in a poorer light. There are way too many variables in such a deal and it would be impossible for him to prove his judgment wasn't affected--that's why it's an actual conflict.

Will Casey really get paid for anything if/when she is convicted of murder? Isn't that the reason some people wanted to see Cindy, George and Lee charged with obstruction so they, too, cannot get a penny off this case?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roseashley592
Back