PTSD sufferers - please post here

What this thoughtful, compassionate thread offers is validation. Validation that we are not abnormal. We are very normal people who have dealt with very abnormal, traumatic events in our lives and we have found ways to survive. Good or bad ways...it makes no difference...we are alive!
We are not piriahs. We are strong. Survival of the fittest! ;)

That just reminded me how deeply I hated myself back then. I wanted to kill me. I hope no one else is feeling like that right now, but if you are, IT DOES GET BETTER!!!

I was in an intensive weekend therapy where we were pounding pillows, and someone held up a mirror to me, and I attacked it! I wanted to murder her. I had no idea until that point how much hatred I had for myself. Unbelievable.

My feelings were switching rapidly, and then I'd shut down. It was hard to relate to other people, and I felt so alone. It's weird as heck to be sobbing like you're two again, then shut down and feel nothing. I'd have tears still on my face.

We are definitely not pariahs. Our nervous systems are damaged and can't heal properly because of the hypervigilance.

So this is mildly off-topic but I have to say/ask this:

Apparently they are trying to get PTSD on the books for qualifying for a Medical Marijuana card in Oregon.

Most of my symptoms are brought on by doing any drug other than alcohol. So this would be a horrible idea in my case.

But what do you guys think of it? Would you try it?

Apparently they are trying to get PTSD on the books for qualifying for a Medical Marijuana card in Oregon.

Most of my symptoms are brought on by doing any drug other than alcohol. So this would be a horrible idea in my case.

IMO would be a huge mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it could get a person to eat some food and get a good night's sleep, I would be all for it.

One thing I learned from the support communities I found online -- everything is relative. What traumatises one person might seem insignificant to another person, or in relation to what other people have suffered, but that makes it no LESS a trauma, if the victim is truly traumatised by it. Nothing to be embarrassed about!

The reason I'm not linking the various support sites I found is that I wound up with mixed feelings about them -- on one hand, they were truly a blessing, and helped me feel not alone, and provided a lot of valuable info and insights..

On the other hand, I had to step away.. a lot of folks in these places seemed to be perpetually caught up in victim-thinking and unable to talk about anything or anyone but themselves and their victimhood, IYKWIM. And other reasons... I just found it not a healthy thing to spend a lot of time there, once I'd found the info I needed, which was a shame.

I think this is true. I didn't even recognize my victim thinking until later in therapy. I had a relapse of the PTSD about 10 years ago when my little kitty friend died suddenly. He was such a little joy. I was processing through the grief and getting "hooked" back into the PTSD, and I was really stuck. Finally, I said to myself, "Live or die, girl...live or die?" I decided to live. At first, I had to reaffirm that decision every few seconds, then every few minutes, then several times an hour, and so on. It's been a good tool for me over the years to stop the inward-looking and look outward and engage with life, instead.

Just thinking. I wonder how many of us are interested in true crime, and thus ended up on this site, due to violence and crime in our pasts.

Just thinking. I wonder how many of us are interested in true crime, and thus ended up on this site, due to violence and crime in our pasts.

No, I became hooked on true crime a long long time ago. 1993 for the first public allegation against Michael Jackson, then the OJ trial, JonBenet Ramsey...and on and on...

No, I became hooked on true crime a long long time ago. 1993 for the first public allegation against Michael Jackson, then the OJ trial, JonBenet Ramsey...and on and on...

Same, these came out in 1989 and I was hooked from then..

$T2eC16hHJF0E9nmFTMMiBQtD1)tvDg~~60_3.JPG

I never suffered memory loss. In some ways I wish I had. My problem was over-remembering in vivid detail........so much so that I could still smell the smells or remember the exact clothing that was worn.

From me to you, Big hugs!! Sorry you remember things do vividly.

I think it is slowly being recognised as a useful treatment for PTSD because of the relaxing elements and memory dulling. It is used to treat Israeli soldiers, and I think the VA have commented on it too. Scientific studies are promoting it's use. I imagine there to be just as many against, but if the reality is anything to go by people use it anyway. It's less harmful than some of the prescribed drugs for PTSD which can be fatal.

Here are some helpful resources for victims and survivors of domestic violence

One important tool to become more independent and self sufficient is having financial independence. Allstate insurance, for example, has a program specifically designed to help victims/survivors learn financial independence.

"In 2005, The Allstate Foundation joined with the National Network to End Domestic Violence (NNEDV) to bring financial education, matched savings programs, job readiness and job training and microenterprise opportunities to survivors of domestic violence. Working with our community partners across the country, we make long-term security a reality for survivors. We are committed to helping survivors build their financial skills as a way to escape abusive relationships,*get safe, stay safe and*thrive.
The Allstate Foundation's work to support survivors of domestic violence reflects our dedication to making our communities and our nation a better, safer place to live.*
We are committed to using financial empowerment strategies to end the cycle of violence because research shows that financial dependency is the strongest predictor of a survivor's decision to remain, leave or return to an abusive relationship - even stronger than physical safety issues."

http://www.allstatefoundation.org/domestic-violence-program

Another site that helps survivors from a community aspect is the Courage Network. It is absolutely amazing if you need to connect with others specifically where domestic violence is concerned.

http://www.couragenetwork.com/

For those dealing with any firm of PTSD in relation to any trauma whether it be domestic, physical/accident, shell-shock... This website is really a gem:

http://www.traumasurvivorsnetwork.org/traumapedias/263

The trauma survivors network is an excellent tool that teaches coping skills and also connects those dealing with PTSD as well as those that have successfully tapered back their PTSD anxiety symptoms through dedicated therapy and medical intervention/education.

Love you guys. I hope these websites find you well!

I think that's true for me, but the thing that got me interested in the Jodi Arias case is that Travis Alexander's childhood reminded me of what my abusive ex-husband's childhood was like. That's where the similarities end, as I never believed that Travis Alexander was abusive with JA or anyone else. In fact, I think JA is exactly where she needs to be, although I prefer her to end up on DR.:jail:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crybaby6
Back